Forum Poll -- More Organization and Categories?

Started by Nyr, February 13, 2013, 02:03:09 PM

Should we divide the forum into the new proposed categories?

Yes
42 (64.6%)
No
7 (10.8%)
I'd rather see it first and then decide
8 (12.3%)
See my suggestion
1 (1.5%)
Don't care
7 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 65

February 13, 2013, 02:03:09 PM Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:12:49 PM by Nyr
We are adding a newbie forum and a new player category for the forums.  Since we are adjusting this anyway, we figured it would be worth it to ask whether players would like to see this category system extended for the rest of the publicly available GDB so as to better organize things.  One might say that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."    One might also say that we haven't changed the format of our boards in more than ten years, and just because something "isn't broken" doesn't mean it can't be organized better.

All proposed category names subject to change.

Proposed Layout:

Staff Category  -- any stuff here is either from staff or to staff
---Staff Announcements
---Ask the Staff
---Submissions

New Player Category  -- any stuff here is asked by new players and answered by veterans, helpers, and staff (no flaming, be nice, do not act like a tool to newbies)
---New Player Forum

Game Discussion Category  -- any stuff here has to do with the game itself
---General Discussion
---Roleplaying Discussion
---World Discussion
---Code Discussion
---Player Announcements
---Player Collaboration
---Archives

Non-Armageddon Category  -- any stuff here is not directly related to the game itself
---Gatherings
---Non-Armageddon Discussion

Player Groups Category  -- volunteer player groups
---Helpers
---Publicity

You'll note that there's no place for Ask the Players.  We don't think there's really a need for it, and we do plan to remove that (with forewarning) regardless of any vote on categories.  New players can ask questions in the newbie forum area.  Veterans or players that have broached that threshold of "newbieness" can ask questions in General Discussion or any of the other categories there.  It just seems redundant and cluttered.

What do you think?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I like it.

Do it.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Seems fine by me, really.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Nyr on February 13, 2013, 02:03:09 PMYou'll note that there's no place for Ask the Players.  We don't think there's really a need for it, and we do plan to remove that (with forewarning) regardless of any vote on categories.  New players can ask questions in the newbie forum area.  Veterans or players that have broached that threshold of "newbieness" can ask questions in General Discussion or any of the other categories there.  It just seems redundant and cluttered.

What do you think?
I think I agree.  Only a few of the posts/topics in Ask The Player are newbie questions/help.  The rest can easily belong somewhere else.

Might I also suggest, if not considered already, that the newbie forum have guidelines/moderation as such that it remains more focused than other sections?  Too often I see newbie questions get smothered in a heap of tangential discussions purely between veterans, and I think that's probably a not a good thing, even when done in good humor.

A good rule of thumb, for veterans at least, might be that if your post is not directed at an actual new player, it belongs elsewhere.

I'm fine with the way it is now, and I'd be fine if it was changed.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on February 13, 2013, 02:32:28 PM
Quote from: Nyr on February 13, 2013, 02:03:09 PMYou'll note that there's no place for Ask the Players.  We don't think there's really a need for it, and we do plan to remove that (with forewarning) regardless of any vote on categories.  New players can ask questions in the newbie forum area.  Veterans or players that have broached that threshold of "newbieness" can ask questions in General Discussion or any of the other categories there.  It just seems redundant and cluttered.

What do you think?
I think I agree.  Only a few of the posts/topics in Ask The Player are newbie questions/help.  The rest can easily belong somewhere else.
Might I also suggest, if not considered already, that the newbie forum have guidelines/moderation as such that it remains more focused than other sections?  Too often I see newbie questions get smothered in a heap of tangential discussions purely between veterans, and I think that's probably a not a good thing, even when done in good humor.

A good rule of thumb, for veterans at least, might be that if your post is not directed at an actual new player, it belongs elsewhere.

I've seen official policies against veteran diversion on other forums. I'm betting they probably established them for the reasons that you mentioned.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on February 13, 2013, 02:32:28 PM
A good rule of thumb ... might be that if your post is not directed at an actual new player, it belongs elsewhere.

Looks good to me.

I like change.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Looks nice. Go for the change.

When you do the upgrade I got dibbs on the boots from the old one...and the hair.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Any way we can get Ask the Staff below Submissions? Or at least have the description shortened on ATS? The way it is it makes ATS take up this large space that looks odd in the middle.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on February 14, 2013, 11:54:54 AM
Any way we can get Ask the Staff below Submissions? Or at least have the description shortened on ATS? The way it is it makes ATS take up this large space that looks odd in the middle.

I did as suggested and also shortened the entry for the New Player Questions forum so that it makes the forums look slightly more compact.

Another question:

Should this be moved to the newbie forum (moved/copied/etc)?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

In the newbie discussion, maybe a newbie archive section?  So, the posts that staff thinks relevant for a newbie to read that were made in other sections of the GDB.

An example would be a topic like extended subguilds, copying over several of the staff posts on the subject so a newbie can quickly come up to speed.

Or particularly good posts by players on a subject.  Like that example of a player report that, errrr, someone did recently.

If we consolidate the really good information, I think we have a better chance of a newbie reading through it than we do of them reading the entire history of the GDB.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Those are all good ideas too, Twilight.

Unfortunately, I do not have the time right now to dig through all of that stuff.  However, if some enterprising players want to offer specifics and suggest what things to go where, I think collaborating in this thread would be the best way to do it.  Or in Player Collaboration...whichever one works!

Quote from: Twilight on February 14, 2013, 01:06:24 PM
In the newbie discussion, maybe a newbie archive section?  So, the posts that staff thinks relevant for a newbie to read that were made in other sections of the GDB.

An example would be a topic like extended subguilds, copying over several of the staff posts on the subject so a newbie can quickly come up to speed.

Or particularly good posts by players on a subject.  Like that example of a player report that, errrr, someone did recently.

If we consolidate the really good information, I think we have a better chance of a newbie reading through it than we do of them reading the entire history of the GDB.

I think THIS should definitely be added to it.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

That's already on the new website, for what it's worth.  I'll put a pin in that one.

Oh! THIS post should be put into the Newbie section and pinned to the wall. I hate having to track it down every time someone comes into the help chat asking what to do in their first five minutes of gameplay! -Everyone- should read through that post at least three times.

EDIT: >:C DAMNIT SHELAH.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

It even has pictures.

I'd be wary of considering the GDB to be a second set of docs, though.  If something is important and/or consistently asked about, it should probably be added to docs and help files.

A player-created "Best of the GDB" might be a fine idea, but it'd be hard to keep such a list trimmed to a reasonable size.

I don't know if its possible, but maybe add the ability to post as a Guest to the Newbie Forum. (While obviously still logging IPs so as to discourage abuse)
I know alot of times if Im trying a game out, one of the largest discouraging factors to asking questions is the process in joining something.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

Immediate concern:

spammers

I'll check though.

Quote from: bcw81 on February 14, 2013, 01:19:13 PM
Oh! THIS post should be put into the Newbie section and pinned to the wall. I hate having to track it down every time someone comes into the help chat asking what to do in their first five minutes of gameplay! -Everyone- should read through that post at least three times.

EDIT: >:C DAMNIT SHELAH.

You are my sunshine baby. My only sunshine.

Haters Gonna Hate