Zalanthan Dictionary

Started by Bast, January 15, 2013, 11:32:24 AM

There are number of words that I have seen used in different ways. Thought we should have our own version of the urban dictionary. I will start

Vestric

1. A small feathered rodent
The tiny Vestric twitched its nose and ruffled its feathers before scurrying up a tree

2. Something of fine or high quality
Lord Amos's vestric attire man him stand out from the common rabble
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Is that something characters actually say or did you just make it up?

Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 15, 2013, 11:37:53 AM
Is that something characters actually say or did you just make it up?

I actually had Vestric in a Desc once years ago. I had a handful of other players pick up on it. I did not make that up. I think I picked up using it when I was newb from Prian(sp?) Borsail or Miss Pearl? This was back when the Atrium was new. Used it in maindesc later on to describe my Pcs hair.  ;) ;D
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

I've never heard vestric used that way IG, and honestly, there's nothing about a vestric that suggests quality to me. It's basically a rat-chicken...

Quote from: Drayab on January 15, 2013, 12:15:05 PM
I've never heard vestric used that way IG, and honestly, there's nothing about a vestric that suggests quality to me. It's basically a rat-chicken...

My thoughts exactly.

I support a dictionary though I only know a couple of terms.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Gortok

1. A wild dog, vicious and often a pack hunter.
2. Anything mangy, or unrefined.
eg: You dirty gortok, quit scratching your ass in my kitchen.
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

January 15, 2013, 01:24:53 PM #6 Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:06:35 AM by SpyGuy
I like the idea of this thread a lot.  I think a lot of this stuff gets lost as an influential PC tries to start up the use of a certain phrase but over time it dies out.

Tregil

1) A small rodent native to the northlands
2) Someone or something cowardly

Drov

1) The element of darkness
2) An afterlife where the shades of the dead live on (i.e. Hades)
2) A very loosely fleshed out idea of what happens after you die

Carru

noun - A large, antlered, and often territorial quadruped of the northlands

verb - To physically dominate, often with a hint of humor.
     "Yeah, old loudmouth Amos was talking shit to Malik at sparring yesterday. Guess Malik didn't care much for it, cos he carrued him pretty good for it."

This one cracked me up for days when I heard it.

Tandu

1 A small herbivore, known for lean juice meat
2 A reference for male genitalia
I wouldn't feck a magicker, my tandu might fall off

Quote from: Bast on January 15, 2013, 03:09:30 PM
This one cracked me up for days when I heard it.

Tandu

1 A small herbivore, known for lean juice meat
2 A reference for male genitalia
I wouldn't feck a magicker, my tandu might fall off

*snicker*

I always refer to it as a salt worm myself, cause you know, its salty.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: SpyGuy on January 15, 2013, 01:24:53 PM

Drov

I take issue with this.  The average Zalanthan does not believe in the afterlife in any shape or form, not even a sarcastic concept of one.  This concept is more like:

Drov
2) An analogy for the non-existence that occurs as a result of death.

"Being sent to Drov" is as to "Being sent to oblivion" not "Being sent to hell".
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: Ender on January 16, 2013, 01:01:30 PM

Drov

I take issue with this.  The average Zalanthan does not believe in the afterlife in any shape or form, not even a sarcastic concept of one.  This concept is more like:

Drov

"Being sent to Drov" is as to "Being sent to oblivion" not "Being sent to hell".

Seconded.

How come no one's put kank yet?

Kank
1.  Extinct insectoid used as a mount, pack animal and general beast of burden. Also a source of highly prized honey.
2. Slang for coitus.
"Whatcha doin' this Barani, Amos?"
"I'ma get me one of 'em cheap rinthi whores an' spice an' kank till I can't walk no more."

I heard this in game once:

Ginka
1. Exotic fruit common to the northlands and consumed by the wealthy in the southlands.
2. Perfect breasts.
"Her supple, ginka sized breasts perk enticingly, demanding attention to her chest".
3. A dangerous but irresistably alluring being.
"That man/woman is a ginka, I tell you, he/she calls on me and I can't say no!"
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: Ender on January 16, 2013, 01:01:30 PM"Being sent to Drov" is as to "Being sent to oblivion" not "Being sent to hell".
Linguistically speaking, is there a difference?

Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 16, 2013, 01:44:01 PM
Quote from: Ender on January 16, 2013, 01:01:30 PM"Being sent to Drov" is as to "Being sent to oblivion" not "Being sent to hell".
Linguistically speaking, is there a difference?

Ayup. Being 'sent to hell' has a connotation of punishment. But 'oblivion' lacks that context.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

So what would Zalanthans say instead of "go to Hell" (or whatever form)?

Alternatively, in what situations would a Zalanthan say "go to Drov" but "go to Hell" would be inappropriate, disregarding the lack of supporting mythology?

From the curses helpfile : Drov - Hell.  e.g. What the Drov just happened here?

I still have to force myself to not say, " oh my God" and " what the hell?" at least once everytime I log in.

Because I mentioned it on other thread,

Tregil
1. Small, timid, hairless animal known for its very soft leather.
2. Someone cowardly or spineless, to act spineless
I.e. "Amos is a real tregil, you see him run from that skinny guy?"
3. Something soft and or pliable.
i.e. "Those curves are as soft as a tregils assflap."

Edit: missed spyguys post. but expanded on the definition anywho.

Round ear

One of the human species. Pertaining to the general normalcy in them to have non pointed ears.

Stumps

1. Pertaining to those of the dwarven race, referring to their lack of height.
2. What is left after cutting down a tree, ie. tree stump.
Necker

Referring to the race of elves, as generally they have longer thinner necks that the other races.
also see: Sharp

Sharp

1. Refers to something cutting edge when it is honed keenly.
2. A racial slant towards those of the elven race referring to the fact that they have very long ears that come to a point, often said to be a sharp point like that of a dagger or knife.
3. To be highly aware, ie. Keep Sharp. Stay alert.
4. Or that of being intelligent or wise. A sharp mind.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Re: Drov business ... I thought the common belief was that you die and your soul is lost in the darkness of Drov until eventually you fall in the maw of nilaz, and subsequently, obvilion.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I believe that "necker" is a derivative of "longneck."

Quote from: musashi on January 16, 2013, 10:55:04 PM
Re: Drov business ... I thought the common belief was that you die and your soul is lost in the darkness of Drov until eventually you fall in the maw of nilaz, and subsequently, obvilion.

Yeah, Nilaz is definitely more fitting if the concept if we're talking about complete oblivion for the dead.  But to be honest, I didn't mean to imply that all Zalanthans believe they'll end up in Drov or even that those who do think on it a lot.  The setting as a whole doesn't have a fleshed out afterlife *tips his hat to Ender*  I was putting too much of my own concept of it into that shade business.

Tembo (n) (adj)

A vicious, man-sized lizard creature with an incredibly powerful bite, sharp claws, and a valuable hide prized by hunters.

A word used to describe a foul-tempered, dangerous man

That man's just a tembo, always waving his sword around and threatening to kill people!
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Bribe - (verb) 1. To give money to someone of higher status in return for action or favor. (c.f. "payment")
Bribe - (verb) 2. To give money to someone in order to tell them that they have power in the situation (c.f. "raiding")

Bribe - (noun) 1. Money given to someone in authority in order for them to exercise that authority on your behalf.
Bribe - (noun) 2. Money given in order to secure the general favor of someone with power.
Bribe - (noun) 3. Money given in order to show off your financial resources.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Ender on January 16, 2013, 01:01:30 PM

Drov

Drov

Wouldn't that be more of a Nilazi thing?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.