Certain weapons should break more often.

Started by Timetwister, November 11, 2012, 04:36:13 PM

It's a bad idea solely for the purpose of realism. Realism for the sake of realism doesn't add much to a game that we use to escape reality. Make realism serve a FUN purpose and I'll be into it. Tacking on needless annoyances simply for the sake of being realistic is a really bad way to design a game made for fun.

For a video game I agree. For an RPI I disagree because there is a blend of roleplaying (deriving from MUSH) mixed with a robust code to back up actions performed from the roleplaying. Adding any feature because it would realistically happen I think would make the game more fun because I would have to be more prepared while fighting, or choose my weapons more wisely. The extremely expensive weapons from Salarr would actually serve a purpose besides just being eye candy, it wouldn't break on the first strike like that chipped old obsidian longsword that you can currently use for an entire characters life span if his strength score is low enough.

When you try to climb and slip that's realism. It's annoying but do you think we should remove it because it makes the game less fun if you get stuck in a pit? What about losing movement from combat actions, I remember when somebody posted the idea to lose movement for the combat coded skills and it was shot down by a lot of the playerbase, but once implemented all of that rhetoric left far behind with a more realistic combat code in it's wake.

I might even take that video game part back. Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games.

For the record RGS, armor repair was fixed some time ago...I have had it since that fix and noticed no problems.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job