Ask Calavera

Started by Calavera, October 30, 2012, 01:48:15 AM

Hello! I'm here to entertain you all during the downtime, because my normal evening window of Request Tooling and spying on everybody has been rudely interrupted by weather all the way on the other side of the planet.

So... ask me anything. I reserve the right not to answer certain questions because Adhira will fire me if I break any rules. There's also a whole hell of a lot of things about this game that I just plain don't know.

Here's a little background information, for anyone who's interested:

I was originally hired as a builder for Armageddon 2 exactly three years ago. I can't profess to be the most active builder there was by far, but I must have done something right because I was invited onto the Real Game's staffing team in September of 2011. Since then I've staffed for the area of the game that includes independent/unclanned characters, the 'Rinth, the T'Zai Byn, and the various elven and human tribals.

Since I'm only a Storyteller and have about as much coding experience as that kid you went to high school with who wanted to go to university for "video games," you will probably find you'll get better answers if you don't ask code questions.

(For the record, I am not the first staffer to do this - drop a GDB archive search for 'Ask Rahnevyn' if you'd like to pore over some interesting stuff during a prior era of the game.)

Ask away!
QuoteCalavera,

Your Shoot Me In The Head request has been resolved. We do not have sufficient ammunition to process your request at this time.

Italis
Armageddon Staff

Which tribe, which is non-playable, do you think has the best docs?

Which tribe, which is playable, do you think would be the funniest rulers of Luirs?

Quote from: Jeshin on October 30, 2012, 01:58:21 AM
Which tribe, which is non-playable, do you think has the best docs?

'Best' when it comes to documentation is such an ambiguous term. There are some tribes and races from both games that I feel have FREAKING COOL documentation, but when I think 'best' I take into account things like playability, potential plot intrigue, player isolation, and a bunch of stuff that probably detracts from just thinking stuff is awesome.

Thematically, I've always been fond of Ptar Ken and the Dune Stalkers as far as closed tribes are concerned.

Which tribe, which is playable, do you think would be the funniest rulers of Luirs?

Put the Jaxa Pah in charge so they can wage horrible elf war against the neighbouring tribes in the Tablelands.
QuoteCalavera,

Your Shoot Me In The Head request has been resolved. We do not have sufficient ammunition to process your request at this time.

Italis
Armageddon Staff

Do you agree that all areas/people inside Armageddon should aspire to be as gritty and bad ass as the Red Fangs?

When will the RF open again?

Can I have my old character back?

;D
Free your hate.

If told you had to sex a member of Arm's non-human races or die, which race (or death) would you choose?

Quote from: Nile on October 30, 2012, 02:14:16 AM
Do you agree that all areas/people inside Armageddon should aspire to be as gritty and bad ass as the Red Fangs?

Only when the Producers approve my plot to have the half-elven descendants of the Red Fangs take over Kadius from the inside and topple the silk monopoly. And then you'll just want to be as gritty and badass as a Kadian.

When will the RF open again?

See above.

Can I have my old character back?
;D

Sure! But he'd be dead. :(
QuoteCalavera,

Italis
Armageddon Staff

Jihaen [sic] Templars wear blue, right? If so, which city state has the cooler Blues?

Quote from: hyzhenhok on October 30, 2012, 02:17:32 AM
If told you had to sex a member of Arm's non-human races or die, which race (or death) would you choose?

We used to play "would you rather" at my work a lot, and this is honestly one of the less disturbing ones someone has ever asked me.

I'd still probably choose death before dishonour. You know what they say about things like that. You can build bridges all your life and never get called Calavera the Bridge-Builder, but if you sex one elf...
QuoteCalavera,

Italis
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: BadSkeelz on October 30, 2012, 02:21:11 AM
Jihaen [sic] Templars wear blue, right? If so, which city state has the cooler Blues?

Think really, really hard about the colour of the moons in Armageddon, bro. I'd point you to a helpful but THEY'RE ALL DOWN. :(

So, um. The cooler Blues are in Allanak. By default.
QuoteCalavera,

Italis
Armageddon Staff

Favourite clan ever?

Red Fang is the correct answer
Free your hate.

Quote from: Nile on October 30, 2012, 02:32:52 AM
Favourite clan ever?

Red Fang is the correct answer

I've always been partial to the 'Rinth. And a certain noble house in Tuluk that's currently closed. And a couple d-elf tribes that are currently closed. And one d-elf tribe that's currently open...

It is impossible to pick a favourite clan for me, because I've had hugely fun experiences in so many of them as a player and a staffer. Clans are one of those things that really are what you make them. We could write up the most awful clan concept in the world and as long as it had the right people playing in it, there would be fun. That's one of the reasons why our playerbase is so awesome.
QuoteCalavera,

Italis
Armageddon Staff

Favorite genre of music?

Favorite movie?

If a baobab falls in Zalanthas and no one is there, does it still make a noise?

Recommended music for playing a human tribal?

Recommended music for playing a tuluki?

Recommended music for playing a nakki?
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Ideal breast size for every Zalanthan race?

Quote from: hyzhenhok on October 30, 2012, 02:43:47 AM

Gosh you guys are perverted. I'm an egalitarian sort, so I say C cups for all. Except maybe half-giants. I don't think you can measure half-giant boobs in cup sizes.
QuoteCalavera,

Italis
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Calavera on October 30, 2012, 02:47:51 AM

Gosh you guys are perverted. I'm an egalitarian sort, so I say C cups for all. Except maybe half-giants. I don't think you can measure half-giant boobs in cup sizes.

I think half-giant boobs should all be classed as 'Over 9000!'

I forgot though in the other post:

Recommended music for playing a Soh? A sun runner?
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Cloth or disposable?
What kind of jerkoff shakes a tent in the dark? Go out there and see who or what that is.

What oh what should I play next.

Loin cloth or pants?
Free your hate.

Do we have an ETA on when the game will be back up?  :'(

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on October 30, 2012, 02:42:38 AM
Favorite genre of music?

I know this is a cliche answer, but I really do listen to a little bit of everything.

QuoteFavorite movie?

Difficult! I watch a lot of those. Collateral is up there.

QuoteIf a baobab falls in Zalanthas and no one is there, does it still make a noise?

I bet if a baobab fell right now, it definitely wouldn't even make a sound.

QuoteRecommended music for playing a human tribal?

Golgol Bordello. Firewater.

QuoteRecommended music for playing a tuluki?

It's been about four years since I played a Tuluki as a player. When I animate for the Akai Sjir sometimes I listen to these weird Iranian and Turkish bands my friends from that part of the world have shown me over the years.

QuoteRecommended music for playing a nakki?

I listen to a lot of jangly guitar jams when playing in Allanak.
QuoteCalavera,

Italis
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on October 30, 2012, 02:48:52 AM
Quote from: Calavera on October 30, 2012, 02:47:51 AM

I think half-giant boobs should all be classed as 'Over 9000!'

I forgot though in the other post:

Recommended music for playing a Soh? A sun runner?

Soh: The soundtrack to Black Hawk Down.

Sun Runners: David Bowie.
QuoteCalavera,

Italis
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: stark on October 30, 2012, 02:54:26 AM
Cloth or disposable?

Are we talking diapers or shopping bags? ... Aw hell, I'm a bit of a hippie. Cloth for both.

Quote from: Nile on October 30, 2012, 02:56:00 AM
Loin cloth or pants?

I wear a lot of dresses, but if forced to choose, loin cloth. I loathe pants.

Quote from: Dar on October 30, 2012, 02:55:41 AM
What oh what should I play next.

I think you'd enjoy playing a fat gemmer who's a bastard to everyone. And he doesn't secretly want to be loved, either. He's just an asshole.
QuoteCalavera,

Italis
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Akaramu on October 30, 2012, 02:57:08 AM
Do we have an ETA on when the game will be back up?  :'(

Unfortunately this is something I am rather far removed from, not being an American and all. I imagine our stateside staffers have more direct input on the matter than I would. We are keeping track of it on the staff boards, but there is no ETA at this time due to the fact that we simply don't know how long the physical issues of the hurricane are going to be affecting the area our VPS provider is located.

We have top men on it. Top men.
QuoteCalavera,

Italis
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Calavera on October 30, 2012, 03:02:25 AM
We have top men on it. Top men.

And by top men, he/she probably means they're flying somewhere up in the sky, being dangled back and forth by Sandy.

All assholes secretly want to be loved. They're just not, hence why they're assholes.