Discussion for 'Quit OOC'

Started by Morgenes, October 29, 2012, 10:39:43 AM

Use this for discussion of the Quit OOC change.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Awesome. Simply awesome.
Light RP is like light beer: It fucking sucks and makes me fall asleep.

I miss Tuluk....

Nice.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I hate this change and feel it nurfs rangers and will lead to the destruction of the game as we know it, and stuff.

Nice job guys!
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

lol, I came here to post the carlton dance. Awesome...

Everybody else is also saying this, but this is really great. Thanks for adding it!  ;D
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

I think this strikes a nice balance between both sides of the "quit anywhere" argument that formed on the GDB, which were basically "this is a game, we should be able to leave it whenever we want" and "quitting anywhere is open to abuse". It gives players freedom to leave in an emergency and accountability as well. Thanks.

If only I'd seen this earlier.. I missed a bus today and had to walk because of quit rooms.

Edit: It was posted a short while after I left the house. I'm so lucky.
Quote from: boog
I'm still trying to figure out how all that led to Symphony, naked, squatting in a towel on a busy highway to talk to a therapist

This might well be one of the few game changes that go in to unanimous player love/agreement.

Greatest change recently. There's been a lot of good, big ones ever, so recently, but definitely a great change/addition.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

What will be looked at as abuse of this? Say someone now starts to find a need to use it once or twice in a real life week, is that too much? Once or twice a R.L. year?

We are looking for persistent abuse.  We specifically didn't put timelines on it.  But we will be looking for things like using it to simulate a ranger and quitting out every other time with it.  Reasons like 'because' aren't going to be regarded kindly.  You don't have to go into details, but please don't abuse it.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

It does seem a little light on guidelines for proper usage.

Is it abuse to be like ">quite ooc Munchies!"?  ">quit ooc Past bed time."?  ">quit ooc Bored"?

Like timb asked, what's the expected frequency of usage?  A few times a week?  Once a month?  Almost never?

quit OOC Wife said it's business time!
:-)

This would be abuse:

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I like this, as it lends it self to my kind of times (quit ooc there's a surgery going on). I'll probably have to self-limit though, as it might be a temptation to say, "Oh, I've got like 10-15 minutes, why don't I hop in game," when there's a high likelihood of needing to jet off quickly IRL.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

October 29, 2012, 01:45:47 PM #17 Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 01:47:43 PM by Spoon
I'd be interested to know the answer to timb's question.

I assume the way this has been implemented people are not supposed to be changing their habits in any way due to this addition (eg. going out into the wilderness when they have 30mins playtime with the safe knowledge they can quit anywhere).

I think more guidelines would be helpful. Is it something staff expect people to using sparingly, if at all? I just have a feeling at the moment 'ooc reasons' might get stretched as far as they can go.

edited as everything else was answered already...

October 29, 2012, 01:50:08 PM #18 Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 01:52:09 PM by Morgenes
I'll quote 'help quit':

> quit ooc RL emergency gtg

We don't want to set a guideline for how often.  Use it as often as you need it.  However we ask for you to plan accordingly and not rely on it.  

We also don't want to come up with a laundry list of acceptable ooc situations, but they should be beyond 'I don't want to bother playing by the rules'.  Don't use it because you're 'bored'.  Things like 'munchies' and 'played past bed time' is understandable.  Things like a friend/SO says, hey lets' go grab some food, and rather than having to tell them that you need to walk 15-20 minutes to find a safe spot, you can use it.  Things like 'your pet just pooped on the floor', a-ok.  See...I said I didn't want to write a list and I started writing one.  

Simple answer is use your best judgement.  Use it if you need it to not miss the bus.  Try not to make it a habit.  Real life should come first, this code was intended to make it easier for people with less time, or more accident prone to help out.  We won't yank it from you if you're using it all the time because you have a string of bad luck.  Similarly, we won't pull it for something we deem questionable the first time you do it.  We will remove it if we see a pattern of abuse, and after talking to you about it you still continue, we will remove it.

Edited to highlight a guideline that I think I see being asked repeatedly here.  'plan accordingly and not rely on it'
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

October 29, 2012, 01:54:52 PM #19 Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 01:57:06 PM by timb
I like it because shit happens and I've messed up thinking I'd have time to get into things then three hours later needed to go and had to wish up; Kids break their arms or the neighbors window, dogs run away and bite something or someone.
I figure I'd be likely to use such a thing a couple times a year at most.

Glad I wont have to deal with someone who is butt hurt when called on using it too much,  thinking all the reasons were good, buddy dropped in with beer, had to run to the store really quick, etc.

edit - Didn't see the last post, that clears it up a lot for me.

I think this is awesome. Being flexible to RL needs definitely a plus, and I'd like to think our playerbase is mature enough not to abuse.

Plus will save staff a bit of time, reducing wish ups for these kinds of situation.

Thanks guys!
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

quit ooc SHIT'S ABOUT TO GET REAL, CALL 91
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

cast 'wish all this chick cheated' case
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

How many false labors does Boog get to use? I think you should all keep track.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.