Discussion for 'Quit OOC'

Started by Morgenes, October 29, 2012, 10:39:43 AM

Trust us players, we are good people!

I like this. If I ever have to run because the NG calls me up, this is my ticket.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

October 30, 2012, 01:07:01 PM #51 Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:12:23 PM by Morrolan
Regulation and oversight will be the keys to this feature.  QUIT OOC abuse, like other forms of code abuse, will probably actually be pretty easy to track. The best thing that we, as players, can do is to submit abuse complaints when (we think) we see it occur, and then let the system take care of itself.

In recent years, many forms of code abuse have become self-regulating, anyway. Players who want to have their characters behave in IC unrealistically fashions often run up against otherwise invisible code. Feedback from staff is there to help guide us if we want it. The player complaint system does its job to help with regulation.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

At least one person has brought up the abuse argument every single time any quit solution has been proposed (probably even including me).  Now we have an implemented quit ooc option.  It stands to reason that the abuse argument will still be there.  We've already said it about half a dozen times here:  we will watch for abuse, you can report it if you see it, etc.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

There's a billion ton of stuff in Arm that -can- be abused. But I think Arm deals with potential abuse very well, with the karma system, the staff keeping an eye out and the high calibre of player.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quitting normally is just as abusable, this only makes it easier to do.  I'm sure quit is abused now but when that happens and staff know about it (the see it, or it gets reported) they deal with the situation.

From the what I've read staff have some kind of system in place to monitor this closely.  I imagine there is some sort of big flag(or you know a message) up in Immortal land that pops up every time someone does this, says something like "Amos just OOC quit out: 'Sorry, my house is burning down bbl.'"  Unless normal quitting is similar, it would seem that staff will be even more aware of those quitting out OOC than normal quitting.

Beyond it going up to all staff when it happens, it is also stored away for future reference, so we can go back and do trend analysis on it, including who is doing it the most, what are the most popular reasons, what time of day does it tend to happen? etc...

For the record, while it seems to be mostly getting positive comments here, it has been used once in the last 24 hours, and from the looks of it, legitimately so.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

90% of it for me would be something like. quit ooc Work. quit ooc Work. Quit ooc Work. And I've lost at least 3 characters due to it, one of them one of my very first Red Fangs, before the code that prevented you from going hungry while idle went in.

October 30, 2012, 05:26:40 PM #57 Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:57:09 PM by Morrolan
> quit ooc Just lost Secaucus...

edit to fix obvious problem - durr
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Dar on October 30, 2012, 03:59:50 PM
90% of it for me would be something like. quit ooc Work. quit ooc Work. Quit ooc Work. And I've lost at least 3 characters due to it, one of them one of my very first Red Fangs, before the code that prevented you from going hungry while idle went in.

>Quit OOC Boss walked in!

As for me I love this.  This has been a feature I have been hoping for for a long time.  There have been times where I've had the whole "I want your attention now!" from the girlfriend...  so yeah, there are times I'd use this.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Ohh yeah. Other-half-attention-demands are definitely emergency situations.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

People with kids and SOs will have plenty of excuses to turn whatever they are playing into rangers.

UNFAIR!

My one-person lasagna dinner ding'ing in the microwave to tell me that it's ready should be a good excuse to ooc-quit as well, then, hmpft.

(the above is said in a playful tone).
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Yay for this change. Now I expect to hear less "not that pack in sack game again!" also I hope this helps increase the playerbase.

But if I find out someone used it to keep me from PKing your ass, you better believe I will file unrelenting player complaints!
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

this is amazing and makes me want to play again.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

It is okay for, say this example, of my pc who's never left the city and only made their living within it, and is never wanted for anything that isn't petty, to just quit OOC inside the city whenever they want? Or is this a "Whenever you oocly need it" thing rather than a "If its ooc fair, whenever you want" thing.

Does quit ooc echo to the room? Because I'm sort of limited to one or two potential thingies that might mean I need to leave the computer now and I don't want myself recognizable over several pcs.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

If your reason to quit is "just because," go find a quit room.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I'm gonna leave this for a year or so before I drop my "What's the funniest OOC quit explanation you have on record?" question in Ask The Staff.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

quit ooc I have to go iron my dog
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

>quit ooc mommy-daddy time
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

>quit ooc I'd stab this fucking combat timer but then I'd have to wait another 5 minutes.

>quit ooc The Devil made me do it.

I've used this a couple times. It was nice not to have to leave her, idle, to sit in clan barracks for 30 minutes during a trip to the store since I didn't have to wait out a combat timer on sparring. >.> Very good. Enjoyable stuff.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on December 15, 2012, 06:57:15 PM
I've used this a couple times. It was nice not to have to leave her, idle, to sit in clan barracks for 30 minutes during a trip to the store since I didn't have to wait out a combat timer on sparring. >.> Very good. Enjoyable stuff.

Wish I would've had this for one of my old magickers.  I ended up suiciding him in a fit of rage after getting bitched at by my wife for the 100th time for not being able to log out, because I couldn't go into the city with my magick unicorn powers active.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 15, 2012, 07:03:29 PM
Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on December 15, 2012, 06:57:15 PM

Wish I would've had this for one of my old magickers.  I ended up suiciding him in a fit of rage after getting bitched at by my wife for the 100th time for not being able to log out, because I couldn't go into the city with my magick unicorn powers active.

And now we have quit ooc and can save at the gates. Wow. Times, they are a'changin'.