guild/subguild crossover

Started by RRiplash, October 25, 2012, 05:21:05 PM

What happens if you choose a subguild that has crossover with your guild; like ranger/hunter?  Does it just render the subguild irrelevant? 
Quote from: NyrYou know what would stop people from complaining all of the time?

Nothing.  Nothing ever will.

QuoteCan I have my old character back?

Sure! But he'd be dead.

I'd say find out IC.  You can generally tell by the helpfiles whether a guild/subguild combo will offer the same skillset.  If you think you're going to get a particular skill twice, maybe rethink your subguild.
You notice: A war beetle squeezes out an Orin-sized ball of dung.

Depending on the subguild you might get a bump to your starting skills.

You don't need to min-max skills; if, say, your ranger/hunter concept really wouldn't have any other skills than what's hinted at... then pick it.

But the the question I would have is, running with the Ranger-Hunter combo, say there is a common skill...do you start at the guild skill level, or the sub-guild skill level?
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

I believe the staff have said that in the case of overlap, you have the higher of the two starting levels and the higher of the two caps.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on October 25, 2012, 06:54:33 PM
I believe the staff have said that in the case of overlap, you have the higher of the two starting levels and the higher of the two caps.

Moe's right on this, although the post I'm thinking of containing this bon mot is a ways back on the GDB.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

I figured it had to have been covered somewhere at sometime, but I was having no luck finding it.
Quote from: NyrYou know what would stop people from complaining all of the time?

Sure! But he'd be dead.

October 26, 2012, 03:57:21 PM #7 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:03:11 PM by Nyr
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,20908.msg222903.html#msg222903

edit:  trying to find something more recent, but that did come up as an early result when looking for it at least, hope that helps.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

All in all, doubling up seems like a bit of a waste to me.  I'd rather give myself some options; like a figher-type with a crafty-type subguild, rather than (what sounds like) a minor bump to a couple starting skills. 
I mean...  The first couple skill levels train up pretty fast anyway, right?

Sure! But he'd be dead.

Quote from: RRiplash on October 27, 2012, 09:09:44 AM
All in all, doubling up seems like a bit of a waste to me.  I'd rather give myself some options; like a figher-type with a crafty-type subguild, rather than (what sounds like) a minor bump to a couple starting skills. 

Ahahaha.

Hahahaha.

Ahahahahahaaaa.

Haha.

Hah.

Haa.

Right.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: RRiplash on October 27, 2012, 09:09:44 AM

why is it when I see threads like this I suddenly think of Starship troopers 'Would you like to know more'
then all of a sudden it switches to 'Find out ic' and i just want to hit the find out more button!

The answer as to whether this is "worth it" depends on three things:

• Character background -- Would your character reasonably know more?
  • Playstyle -- Does your character suffer an initial survival hump based on starting skills?
  • Character duration -- How long do your characters live? Two days or two years?
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Morrolan on October 27, 2012, 01:36:37 PM
The answer as to whether this is "worth it" depends on three things:

• Character background -- Would your character reasonably know more?
  • Playstyle -- Does your character suffer an initial survival hump based on starting skills?
  • Character duration -- How long do your characters live? Two days or two years?

sometimes they would know more, other times not so much. Yet it is a delicate balance between the two on some things that keeps me logging in aka. hitting the know more button. My characters often run the gammot on duration some I would of loved if they lived longer. or if i could somehow bring them back. One in particular near makes me want to make another just like them.

back on topic. I've found that the skill bump that one would get isn't often times worth it. That using your subguild to flesh out your character is often better, and can lead to some interesting things.

Meh. Whether you're doubling up or not, sub-guilds don't really affect much in my opinion. Just give your character something that is flavorful and interesting and have fun, worrying about boosts to whichever skills and having a variety of skills is meaningless.

I don't know, I always seem to end up using my subguild skills a lot.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on October 27, 2012, 02:42:38 PM
I don't know, I always seem to end up using my subguild skills a lot.

It depends on what your primary guild is.

Warrior Bynner: probably not so much.
Pickpocket Bynner: You probably want an appropriate subguild.
Hidden Nilazi: You totally want the right subguild.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."