Scan Echo

Started by Suhuy, October 23, 2012, 03:44:57 PM

I would be fine with the scan echo going away.

Just let people emote it if they want or allow a command emote.

As to scanning all the time...Somebody already said, paranoid people are always on edge.

IRL, I don't consider myself paranoid, but I do have certain habits that would make one think so. When entering a public place I check exits, then I get seated with back to wall in a spot where I can see all of the exits, I look around constantly, keeping tabs on what everybody is doing and where they are, but I am very good at doing so without craning my neck and shit...and anybody that is a master of perception would have the same skills.

Old habits from a misspent youth and a dislike of surprises.

Still, it is unlikely you would notice these habits which are pretty much like having scan on all the time. It took my wife 5 years to notice.

So, Actually, what would be perfect is, with scan, if as you mastered the skill, the scan echo moved into hemote then at top end, assuming that class gets the skill to mastery, no echo at all.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

If your char is really that paranoid, hemote that, in combination with scan.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Iiyola on October 25, 2012, 12:56:45 AM

That's not paranoia.

I'm sure we would all have no problem ignoring the scan echo is obsessive scanners never make a scene over people for being 'in the shadows' in taverns and other public places. ;)

QuoteQuote from: Iiyola on October 24, 2012, 08:56:45 PM

That's not paranoia.

Not to mention, it is not even the point of the thread.

Point being, There is really no reason to echo, and you can't command emote/semote/hemote with it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: hyzhenhok on October 25, 2012, 02:59:14 AM
I'm sure we would all have no problem ignoring the scan echo is obsessive scanners never make a scene over people for being 'in the shadows' in taverns and other public places. ;)

Sadly, the fact that the look command also echos when you do it to a PC pretty much pooches the chances of that happening. Even if the scanner doesn't react to it, the moment everyone else sees the tall muscular man look at someone ... oh it's so over.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Yeah it's a bit of a conundrum really. You should be able to stand in the shadows, away from folks and just kind of, keep yourself to yourself and be discrete...people shouldn't make a scene over that, it doesn't make sense. Maybe just keeping an eye on them and thinking to themselves that the person looks sketchy...

But the problem is that people can also 'be in the shadows' and be close enough to rob you blind...and if someone was that close to you but also trying to be all discrete and hidden then you probably would be super suspicious and make a bit of a scene. Maybe a split in the hide skills, one that implies a distance (therefore you can't do stuff like steal, backstab whatever) and one that...doesn't. I don't know. I don't even know if those actions break hide so...
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on October 25, 2012, 02:56:20 PM
Yeah it's a bit of a conundrum really. You should be able to stand in the shadows, away from folks and just kind of, keep yourself to yourself and be discrete...people shouldn't make a scene over that, it doesn't make sense. Maybe just keeping an eye on them and thinking to themselves that the person looks sketchy...

But the problem is that people can also 'be in the shadows' and be close enough to rob you blind...and if someone was that close to you but also trying to be all discrete and hidden then you probably would be super suspicious and make a bit of a scene. Maybe a split in the hide skills, one that implies a distance (therefore you can't do stuff like steal, backstab whatever) and one that...doesn't. I don't know. I don't even know if those actions break hide so...
Well, that's why we have hemotes and semotes. If they see you, hemote you're standing in the corner away from that bar. Just my two cents, but I guess that's a silly thing, again.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I'm leaning towards favoring shifts where...
> scan worked like watch (you notice the tall, muscular man is keeping a close eye on his surroundings)
> you could look at someone in a way that only echoed to the person you're looking at

If you find a way to balance out scan and hide commands where everyone is happy....
You should then try your hand at global peace talks.

I think it's impossible to make it where it doesn't seem to favor one side. 
:-)