The Epic and Interesting history of Zalanthas.

Started by Uglyhead, August 18, 2003, 01:37:28 PM

I think(don't act so surprised) that it may be a fascinating idea to write down some of the old events that happened in Zalanthas for the enjoyment of the playerbase. Not ingame, of course, but ooooh aren't you just itching to know what went on back then? I've heard whispers of wars and sieges and rebellions, but have been largely unable to find more information on them.

No info recent enough to be useable ingame, aye? And anything that the common people probably wouldn't have known about (Like when Hank the Shank met up with Tek and The Dragon and they played a 3-player variation of checkers while the mantis-maidens danced for them) ought to be left out too.

Or are such chronicles already available? it would be thrilling for any old-timers to recount their experiences!
he stories are woven
and fortunes are told
The truth is measured by the weight of your gold
The magic lies scattered
on rugs on the ground
Faith is conjured in the night market's sound

http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/timeline.cgi

Being relativly new myself, though, I'm not sure at what point in the history the 'game' began and PCs were around.

If you feel that certain informations in various parts of Armageddon.org is lacking, feel free to mail the mud and ask the gaps to be filled in.  Certain features, like the timeline, may not have been updated recently.
Ashyom

There have been some awesome moments in game.  You could write an epic over the last battle for Luir's Outpost alone.  The biggest problem is that a lot of that history is deeply IC.  Even stuff that stretch way back to before the game had players in it some times holds deep importance.  I doubt few players actually know what the Highlord Tektolnes and the Sun King Muk Utep really are.  Certainly there is the common educated guess that they are delfiers, but clearly even if they are just delfiers something else is going on with them.  They could be something else.  They could be dragons for all you know.  Don't even get started on what exactly the Dragon's purpose ever was.  

There is a lot of history that is a very large question mark and in my opinion should never be revealed to the common public. Anything before the arrival of the Dragon falls safely into that category in my opinion.  Common history is best kept to things every commoner would know through story telling.  Everyone would know about the Siege of Allanak, but few would know much more then the barest of passing details about Ironsword.

I think a better solution is just to encourage more in game story telling.  Really give bards a leg up.  Have the templerate pull aside a master bard and relate the story of some long dead Templar hero so that the bard can spread it to the masses.  The position of bard is really something that I have seen get very little use in game, especially in the south.  They exist on rare occasion, but most of the time they live short lives or are snatched up by nobility faster then you can blink and shoved away in closet somewhere until it is time to bring them out and show off for other nobles.  I wouldn't mind seeing a few more bards that exist in the commoner domain to tell stories that commoners might like to hear.  Story telling I imagine would be a very strong tradition among all classes.  Commoners tell stories of their heroes, noble and templerate bards tell stories of nobles and templars, and perhaps even a few magiker bards whisper stories of great magik.  I don't think that there is a single class of or group of people, desert or city dwelling, that would pass up the chance to keep around a decent story teller.

If you really have an interest in things past, I perhaps next time you are facing the character creation screen, consider what type of character might be able to learn such things.  Stories of events past do exist, they are just one of those gems that you need to hunt down and find IC.