Making Wagons

Started by Kebron, July 23, 2012, 05:45:15 PM

I imagine it'll be more of an item that can be hooked on a mount (hitch cart, hook cart on mount) or person (hitch cart). You can open or close it, even lock it, or it can just be an open container with no lids, depending on the complexity of the cart. I guess you can mount the steed once the cart is hooked on. That way, you don't need to break it like a tent, and you won't need to "kill cart".
I ruin immershunz.

There already is such a thing - or was. Fale had a carriage, pulled by erdlus I think. I think I remember Asandril used to ride it around on occasion. Or maybe it was her cousin..
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on July 24, 2012, 08:24:53 AM
There already is such a thing - or was. Fale had a carriage, pulled by erdlus I think. I think I remember Asandril used to ride it around on occasion. Or maybe it was her cousin..

It's a normal wagon. Well, not a normal wagon. But coded as a wagon.

Borsail had a chariot during the Copper War, but IIRC it was just a one-room wagon.  (Mal broke it.)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

There is an easy work around to this...

west (rumbling along within a wagon)

drop log

arrange log ~ is part of a wagon that is here.

emote grins as they ride along in their wagon!

get log

drop log

:)

Quote from: Erythil on July 23, 2012, 08:24:52 PM
...wagons effectively being invincible.

Except for every wagon's greatest enemy, the Shield Wall.  (and any other pitfall)

Quote from: Shepard on July 24, 2012, 11:45:17 AM
There is an easy work around to this...

drop log

emote grins as they ride along in their wagon!

get log

drop log

:)

10/10, had to check to see who posted it.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I've just had a thought. Maybe Imms don't want to see too many of these things rumbling around.

>look south
>You see a hundred small, wooden carts in the wagon yard.
I ruin immershunz.

>rent cart
>The fat kid ties a rope through the spokes and agrees to watch your bike.   He says, "Here is your ticket."  

>offer ticket
>You pay the fat kid sitting on your bike.  He hops down and says, "Thanks, sucka" and pulls the rope out of the spokes.  

From a completely neutral and new player's standpoint, I can see how this can be very confusing and misleading. I would prefer if staff made yes or no decisions for these coded abilities.

For example, if players can not build wagons, take skill_wagonbuilding out of the game.
If players can not brew their own alcohol, take brew alcohol out of the game. (Yes, I know alcohol can be brewed in some clans, but it doesn't use the brew command)
If players can not use flash powder, take the trap skill completely out of the game.

I don't see the point in offering empty promises, which will likely never be implemented. Just take them out to avoid further confusion from the players.

They aren't empty promises. Some of these things (coding) take time, and we work on them as time allows. If we removed from the game everything that was 'in progress', there would be no progress. For all the things being discussed that aren't implemented, there is a gigantic laundry list of player ideas that have been implemented over the years. These things require patience and time.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

What about just removing the helpfiles on them? Not mentioning something until it's supported makes more sense to me then having a bunch of help files that seem to be discouraging people.

Now there would be a good IC job, thos little cart taxi things people run down the street holding in India. Don't even need a mount, just some breed who needs the coin.

There is a skill wagon_making in game but you can not make wagons.

That isn't to say you guys aren't working on skill wagon_making. You simply would avoid a lot of confusion (especially from new players) by cutting it out until it's ready to be implemented.

You know?

Quote from: BadSkeelz on July 25, 2012, 07:56:42 PM
What about just removing the helpfiles on them? Not mentioning something until it's supported makes more sense to me then having a bunch of help files that seem to be discouraging people.

Yes. Exactly.

Wagon repair with parts made from wagon_making is something that's happened in game.

Quote from: timb on July 25, 2012, 07:59:20 PM
Now there would be a good IC job, thos little cart taxi things people run down the street holding in India. Don't even need a mount, just some breed who needs the coin.

Rickshaws..heheh oh yes. I would totally have every Aide/Merchant/importantish Pc I ever made after that use them. *clap clap* "take me to the market and make it quick!"
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Quote from: Bast on July 25, 2012, 11:18:52 PM
Quote from: timb on July 25, 2012, 07:59:20 PM

Rickshaws..heheh oh yes. I would totally have every Aide/Merchant/importantish Pc I ever made after that use them. *clap clap* "take me to the market and make it quick!"

That be insanely awesome.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

That would be really cool. Be fun to use them or to play one even. Hang in the tavern until someone requests a ride and run and grab your rickshaw and meet them out front.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

do it virtually.
w (pulling a rickshaw with a passenger)
Fancypants follows you
w;w;w;w;w;w kill fancypants

Quote from: Karieith on July 27, 2012, 02:53:12 PM
do it virtually.
Fancypants follows you

You got the right idea! Virtually anything is possible if you do it virtually!

emote/arrange/walk-emotes are key to doing whatever the hell you want... just try to keep it realistic, the Imms got some upset when I did:

w (flying along with a jet-pack)

Quote from: Shepard on July 27, 2012, 02:58:09 PM
do it virtually.
Fancypants follows you

emote/arrange/walk-emotes are key to doing whatever the hell you want... just try to keep it realistic, the Imms got some upset when I did:

Except, the point of using it as a noble or rich person - would be that it got you from A - B quicker...there would be no benefit of doing it virtually. Lets just do everything virtually and make Arm a MUSH.  ::)

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on July 27, 2012, 06:22:48 PM
Quote from: Shepard on July 27, 2012, 02:58:09 PM
do it virtually.
Fancypants follows you

Except, the point of using it as a noble or rich person - would be that it got you from A - B quicker...there would be no benefit of doing it virtually. Lets just do everything virtually and make Arm a MUSH.  ::)

Subdue noble
run
w, w, w, w, w

There is it faster now.

I sorta have a hard on for independent merchants.

I've played this game off and on for over... well, a year or two less than LoD.

A wagon has been the goal of multiples of said merchant/traders.

My very first character, during my very first hour, had a conversation with a "Someone sends" and we talked about the possibilities of owning a chariot.  The answer was an emphatic 'YES' with enough effort.  Then reality set in and I hit that brick wall many are familiar with.

My first independent wagon came easy enough.  I had a character with a lot of sid.  I went to a Merchant House.  I offered to buy a wagon and after a quick email exchange with Sanvean it was approved.  This was early 2000's.  Sadly the character didn't survive very long after that and no wagon was delivered :-(

^^ clearly possible!

Next try came after wagonmaking was introduced.  Sadly my response to making my own wagon was a firm 'NO' and I didn't bother spending In-game time working towards it.  Maybe that was a mistake, but when you are told OOC by Staff that you cannot do what you intend, it really deflates the effort-balloon.

Most recently I tried to have another wagon made/purchase an existing one.  Two different noble houses offered to 'buy' the wagon for me.  Certain merchant houses and certain successful wagon-making merchants were drawn in and convinced (at least from my perspective) to build it.  City-state support was retained to acquire an old wagon hull.  Lots of characters involved over the course of in-game years and staggering (think many 100k+) amounts of sid were spent on bribes, supplies etc.  End result?  No wagons for independents but feel free to join a merchant house.

The sad fact is if Staff likes you the more likely your plots will be noticed/advance.  Shouldn't be so surprising since they are volunteers and why would anyone want to deal with pains-in-the-ass but it does raise questions on what's impossible and what just takes connections/the right administration.

Don't take this as a bitter rant.  Could honestly careless at this point, but it is interesting all the same to read others personal experiences and see where mine align.  It doesn't seem like I am alone in my perceptions
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Quote from: Rhyden on July 25, 2012, 07:59:49 PM
There is a skill wagon_making in game but you can not make wagons.

That isn't to say you guys aren't working on skill wagon_making. You simply would avoid a lot of confusion (especially from new players) by cutting it out until it's ready to be implemented.

You know?

Quote from: BadSkeelz on July 25, 2012, 07:56:42 PM

Yes. Exactly.

Wagon making isn't:

craft log into wagon

If it were, yes, that'd be stupid to have a skill that no one could use and a helpfile for it.

Read the helpfile again, this time focusing on the parts that do not twist your knickers into a bunch.  You can create parts for wagons.  Those parts are useful.  We do not need to remove the skill or the helpfile because the end result is not achievable, especially when we say in the helpfile that the skill is not fully implemented yet.

Quote from: Marc on July 29, 2012, 06:29:12 PM
The sad fact is if Staff likes you the more likely your plots will be noticed/advance.  Shouldn't be so surprising since they are volunteers and why would anyone want to deal with pains-in-the-ass but it does raise questions on what's impossible and what just takes connections/the right administration.

One storyteller and two producers chimed into this thread and explained their/staff position on things.  You don't have to raise questions, you just have to read the thread!  :)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Marc on July 29, 2012, 06:29:12 PM

Most recently I tried to have another wagon made/purchase an existing one.  Two different noble houses offered to 'buy' the wagon for me.  Certain merchant houses and certain successful wagon-making merchants were drawn in and convinced (at least from my perspective) to build it.  City-state support was retained to acquire an old wagon hull.  Lots of characters involved over the course of in-game years and staggering (think many 100k+) amounts of sid were spent on bribes, supplies etc.  End result?  No wagons for independents but feel free to join a merchant house.

That kind of sucks.

Quote from: Nyr on July 29, 2012, 06:47:35 PM
One storyteller and two producers chimed into this thread and explained their/staff position on things.  You don't have to raise questions, you just have to read the thread!  :)

Engrish is not my strongest language.  My point was at one point getting a wagon as an independent was entirely possible because, well, I had Sanvean approve one.  This was after the original 'hitch' code was introduced (I remember watching some poor kuraci try and set his argosy up in Luirs.  Rope and meks and harnesses and in the end, nothing!) so I don't think her decision was limited by an introduction of code.

The 'NO' for wagonmaking I completely understand and was covered by said storyteller/producers.  My point there was that OOC considerations influence IC actions (specifically deflating my personal drive to aim for a self-built wagon since I, along with others, have been told it was impossible).

I feel my final point was spot on:  The sad fact is if Staff likes you the more likely your plots will be noticed/advance.  Shouldn't be so surprising since they are volunteers and why would anyone want to deal with pains-in-the-ass but it does raise questions on what's impossible and what just takes connections/the right administration.

This is even more pronounced when you look at particulars of individual deals:  One recent (last three years) wagon completed was made for an independent group that happened to die out before they got it.  Other independents trying to purchase it after that were turned away.  I'm sure there are many considerations that I do not see player side but perception dictates belief and so much is hidden from players that misunderstandings, feelings of favoritism and general disappointment is bound to happen.

Maybe not a concern for staff, but I'm sure ALL players have experienced the above on some level or another.  The fact that staff changes their position on things without very public announcements only exasperates things.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.