Political Leadership Lessons

Started by Fredd, July 20, 2012, 11:46:57 PM

I've been looking into politics in real life lately and I came across the Modern Whig Party ( An American political party founded by veterans) and they have a training academy for people looking to get themselves elected. They have a bunch of leadership PDF files to help people learn how to be political leaders, and a lot of it also pertains to playing an effective leader in ARM as well.

http://www.modernwhig.org/content/whig-academy

Lesson 2: Time Management for instance, can help clan leaders not get burnt out by helping them prioritize. They aren't Harvard quality, but there is a lot there to learn. Enjoy!

Keep in mind this is just the online courses available to everyone. They supposedly have a lot more detailed courses for party members.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I haven't looked at these particular ones yet, but the idea is interesting- thanks for posting it.

Quote from: Elisar on July 21, 2012, 06:36:03 AM
I haven't looked at these particular ones yet, but the idea is interesting- thanks for posting it.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Interesting, if lengthy, lessons Fredd.  Just glancing over, I'll make a hasty reply to your thread :)

Lesson one - communication.
For in game I'm picking up two things: 

• non-verbal communication, aka, use those emotes
  • communication is always two-way.  Giving room for a minion to respond provides RP opportunity for everyone

Lesson two - time management.
Don't waste time giving busywork - know what is important and what is not.  In game, I think this could be played out by having activities that are mandated during certain times and activities that are mandated but can be done in "flex time".  That is, yes one needs to spar when sparing is available.  But, otherwise it could be left to the PC when they report for cleaning duty or wall duty or whatever.    This would always be followed up with IC explanation of what got done (and certainly rumors could start if someone wasn't getting stuff done)  but with the flexible schedule players have more control over what they role-play

Lesson three, stress.
How one's PC handles stress could be a source of great role-play.  By having specific stress-related habits other PCs can notice -- they can react accordingly without being told "I'm stressed".  Mood is good for the player, but if there isn't away to pick up on moods ICly than the PC looks spastic in reaction.   Plus, if friends see a PC drinking tea instead of ale (and said PC is known for drinking tea when depressed) then role-play can focus on asking about the problems and/or cheering buddies up.

Lesson six, relationships.
Unless one is playing a totally mental character, one is going to have real and healthy relationships.  Know specifically if a relationship is simply using a person  or if it is turning into a true friendship.  Zananthas has complex cultures - don't dilute it by playing a PC who doesn't have complex personality and various relationships.

• master/tool
  • master/apprentice
  • friend/friend
  • romantic[/il]
    • family[/il]
    Chapters 7-9 -- team vs group & inter-group conflict
    I think this is really important for Leadership positions. 
    A team is more result-oriented.  If your leadership PC just cares about getting shit done, don't get involved in trivial "he took my needle" "she slept with my whore" issues that come up.  Your the leader and it's perfectly IC to say "Don't bother me with this shit, I only care that you're able to work together"  (Then have specific requirements so everyone knows how to role-play their PC's level of basic respect)

Likewise, if your PC is more about groups relationship-oriented make sure everyone knows that going out for an ale is "required".  Your the leader and as long as you make relationships your focus PCs will understand that not getting along with another PC or a few NPCs will make their PC look bad, even if their PC is the best archer in the known.

By that same token, role-playing conflict resolution can be fun.   Get some habits and rituals set into place.

"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>