Lifting heavy item addition:

Started by Hot_Dancer, July 09, 2012, 12:27:10 PM

I'd like to see an addition to where:

If my character can half lift something off the ground, I'd like an option to pick it up further to bring it into my inventory but be unable to move out of the room until it was unloaded.

Really, it's kind of a work-around for weak characters to get heavy items packed onto mounts. (More especially, your buddy's body)
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

I dig this.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Hot_Dancer on July 09, 2012, 12:27:10 PM
Really, it's kind of a work-around for weak characters to get heavy items packed onto mounts. (More especially, your buddy's body)

So then if someone unpacks an item that is too heavy too carry from their mount it should be dropped on the ground/floor similarly to items already on the floor that are held/in the inventory?

Issue I see:

Your character is physically straining to lift that thing half off the ground, which means you can only drag it.

How exactly are you going to pack something that heavy, or even worse, sling something that heavy, several feet up onto a mount?
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

In Arm you can either half lift something and drag it a few rooms or at an encumbrance step below run around with it in your inventory from one end of a city to another while at roughly max encumbrance.

A character with decent body mechanics should be able to deadlift a pretty substantial amount of weight. If you can get it waist high - you can use your imagination to do the rest. Mounts lying down, ramps, steps, working leverage against another item or RPing an associate helping you. If a PC can drag an item a mile or more before tiring she should probably be able to deadlift it as well.

If the game is essentially making you unable to flee (too encumbered), move to the next room and forced to have both hands free to handle the item there seems to be plenty of penalty for the reward.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

100% +1
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

The enc code is vicous, and lifting things is tricky and confusing in busy rooms. While the system is not perfect, it does work without crashing, and you can always get a stronger friend to help. I do not know if what is suggested would be optimal, but I do agree that like many things it can be improved.

However, if it ain't broke.... Don't fix it, and certainly this is not broke.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I like it.

The real pain in the ass is not being able to unpack something too heavy. Realistically, you should at least be able to push it off.

I remember stealing an inix from an half-giant with a delf once and the bastard had so much stuff in his trunk I couldnt get it off, even stripped naked and on spice.

Quote from: roughneck on July 10, 2012, 02:40:07 PM
I like it.

The real pain in the ass is not being able to unpack something too heavy. Realistically, you should at least be able to push it off.

I remember stealing an inix from an half-giant with a delf once and the bastard had so much stuff in his trunk I couldnt get it off, even stripped naked and on spice.

Lol. What a looser!

I like it.

kill inix
skin inix

There you go!
Kore ga watashi no nindouni!

Quote from: Naruto on July 10, 2012, 02:46:14 PM
I like it.

kill inix
skin inix

There you go!

:l

In all seriousness, you should be able to unpack something no matter the weight.  If it's too heavy, it should just fall to the ground.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on July 10, 2012, 02:56:07 PM
I like it.

kill inix
skin inix

There you go!

In all seriousness, you should be able to unpack something no matter the weight.  If it's too heavy, it should just fall to the ground.
Actually, I find this quite abuseable. If such an implementation made, the room-weight-check code should be considered as well.
unpack pack inix
There no more room here.
Kore ga watashi no nindouni!

This is my new favorite Arm mental image: an incredibly frustrated, naked, spiced-up d-elf hopping and clambering all over an inix trying to get a chest down, only to repeatedly fail and fall back on their ass into the sand.

Agreed that if something's on a mount, and there's space in the room, you should be able to unpack it off the mount and have it fall to the ground even if you can't pick it up.

Quote from: Naruto on July 10, 2012, 03:01:07 PM
Quote from: Feco on July 10, 2012, 02:56:07 PM
I like it.

kill inix
skin inix

There you go!

Actually, I find this quite abuseable. If such an implementation made, the room-weight-check code should be considered as well.
unpack pack inix
There no more room here.

I wasn't implying room-weight-check code shouldn't be taken into account, for the record.  I think it should.  Poor wording on my part, maybe?
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Give it a chance to fall on you and break your neck too if its really heavy when you try to unpack something...

They allready fixed this. You type something like Strength Endurance Wisdom Agility when you make your character.
Love's the only war worth dying for.
Build me up to knock me down, I'm all yours.

Good point.  This part will go in next reboot (thanks, Tiernan!).

However, if you can't lift something enough to put it on something else, blame your elven ancestry or your prioritization of strength (or both).
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on July 19, 2012, 02:20:05 PM

However, if you can't lift something enough to put it on something else, blame your elven ancestry or your prioritization of strength (or both).

Yayyyyyyy!  :D

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Reboot? To the marketplace!

Seriously though, awesome addition.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on July 19, 2012, 02:38:03 PM

Reboot? To the marketplace!

Last one there's a breed-lover! *runs*

Okay, so if you unpack a trunk from your inix.
And it's too heavy to repack.
And it's too big to drop in the room you're in.
And it's too big to drag through any of the adjacent rooms.

what happen, ginka?

You can't demand that I actually junk items.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

[quote
Okay, so if you unpack a trunk from your inix.
And it's too heavy to repack.
And it's too big to drop in the room you're in.
And it's too big to drag through any of the adjacent rooms.

what happen, ginka?

You can't demand that I actually junk items.
[/quote]

I found my character in a similar situation.  I lifted a trunk half way because of it's crazy weight.  The room I was in was too full to drop it again.  The only adjacent room was also too full to drag it into and I found myself unable to do anything to move.  Assuming I wasn't missing some syntax with something I was stuck.

My only solution was to ask for help from stronger friends... turns out I stumbled on another solution... using the Way until you pass out!  Whoops!

There probably needs to be some reasonable solution to this kind of situation, perhaps always allowing you to drop a half-way picked up item if you are in the room in which you picked it up?
Nothing to see here

I'm assuming it will just stay on the inix?

Quote from: dat pending halpUnpack                                                               (Equipment)

Travelling through the world of Zalanthas on foot is impossible for all
but the hardiest of races, therefore the majority of the populace use
mounts as beasts of burden. The unpack command allows you to unload any
goods that your character may have previously packed upon it.

Syntax:
   unpack [object] [mount]

Example:
   > unpack
   This will unpack the first thing on the first mount you're riding or
   have hitched to you.

> unpack bag

> unpack saddlebags kank

> unpack all

> unpack bag [and throws it over a shoulder]

Notes:
   If you're riding, you can only unpack from the mount you are riding.

You can use unpack to get things from any mount that is not being ridden
by or hitched to someone else.

If you can't carry the item that you are attempting to unpack, it will
be placed on the ground in the room, provided there is room.

If you don't specify which mount, it'll choose the closest one to you
(riding first, then first hitched).

You can use command emotes to specify how you unpack things on your mount.

Delay:
   none
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Woah... thanks.

Fucking win.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

The only problem I have is sometimes I scrounge too much in a second bag and don't realize I am at my weight limit. Before, I couldn't unpack it. Now when I try and unpack the bag I drop it on the ground and npcs in certain stables are grabby (and strong).

Quote from: Titania on September 14, 2012, 01:39:42 AM
The only problem I have is sometimes I scrounge too much in a second bag and don't realize I am at my weight limit. Before, I couldn't unpack it. Now when I try and unpack the bag I drop it on the ground and npcs in certain stables are grabby (and strong).

Wish up for help.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff