The Ultimate Armageddon FAQ

Started by Carnage, August 14, 2003, 09:48:32 PM

Every now and then certain questions come up that get repeated. I figured that a FAQ thread either answering the questions or linking to relevant discussions should put that at ease. Maybe it could be stickied or something. I'll open up with a few and edit along the way to add in more Qs and As. I'll also try to edit it later to categorize it to certain aspects.

Q. How can I have my wishes answered faster and more often?

A. Be specific, concise, and include as much of a description as you can without rambling. For example, if you need a merchant's license: "wish all Can someone please inhabit this Allanaki templar so I can purchase a merchant's license?" will get you a better reponse than "wish all Can someone please inhabit this templar?"

Q. What's the deal with guilds? Do they represent what my character's profession is? What about their attitude toward the world?

A. A 'guild' is a title of a certain group of skills. Your class can be a ranger but your character might just be a medic who studies bandaging the wounded. Just because you have certain skills on your list does not mean you're obligated to utilize them. Your class does not represent anything except what your character has a proficiency towards.

Q. I saw a funny animal that kicked my ass and is not listed on the bestiary page. Does Nessalin hate me?

A. Probably but that has nothing to do with it. Most animals on the bestiary page are commonly known about, whether through bard's songs, stories, or rumors.

Q. Why is the MUD down on Saturdays?

A. Saturdays are usually maintenance days. New NPCs, objects, scripts, areas, and so on are loaded into the game and integrated. The MUD is down until approximately 8 PM EST.

Q. I think someone cheated and killed me for absolutely no reason or abused a bug. What should I do?

A. Log it, sleep on it and wait a day or two. If you still feel the same way the next day or so feel free to e-mail it. Be aware that your character will probably not be ressurrected, however.

Q. Someone sent me a map/spell list/skill list. I'm going to use it but how should I do it?

A. While many people are against something like this, be aware that being caught distributing such a thing could get you in trouble with the account. However, if you're going to use such a thing, don't be so obvious about it. Please. Nobody is impressed when your character knows every room of the game like the back of their hand and calls out where fruits, ponds of water, spawning areas, and so on are. We'll know your cheating, we'll think you're a bad playing for abusing a map so much, and chances are will not want to play with you. Act responsibly.

Q. I want to play a noble. Who should I e-mail?

A. E-mail the clan imm of the noble house that you want to join.

Q. I want to join a certain clan but I can never get in touch with any recruiters. What do I do?

A. Certain clans can really only be joined IC (such as The Guild). If you're looking to join a noble or merchant house or something like that, try contacting a recruiter for a while. If you can't get in touch with them after a while, send an e-mail to the clan imm.

Q. How do I get karma?

A. Play responsibly. Don't abuse bugs. Try playing different roles instead of the same one over and over again. Show you can be trusted.

Q. I've encountered a bug/typo in game. What should I do?

A. If it's a bug, such as a golden axe doing unspeakable damage against mekillots when used by merchants, use 'bug golden (yourmessagehere)'. "Golden" after the word bug should target the axe and include it in your problem. The same goes for typo. The typo and bug commands also include the room you are in.

Q. I have a really cool idea, what should I do?

A. If it's something short, use the idea command: 'idea (yourideahere)'. If it's something long, e-mail it to the MUD.

Q. I think the staff hates me! X npc did Y ability!

A. Certain animals and NPCs have scripts attached to them where they can do 'special' things beyond what players can do.

Q. What do I do when I join an imm-sponsored clan?

A. E-mail the staff member(s) that are supervising it. Include the time joining (don't forget the timezone), your character, your accountname, your sdesc. Your GDB name is optional but it's a good idea to include it so you can be added to your clan's discussion board.

Q. What's the 'think' command? Does it give the staff my opinion on the MUD? If so then 'think WOW THAT BUXOM LADY IS HOT!'

A. The 'think' command is to express what your character is thinking. Only you and staff members watching can see it all the time.

Q. I see magickers doing little minor effects without actually casting. Is that bad? Can they do that?

A. Those effects are referred to as 'cantrips'. Here are several threads on it:

http://www.armageddon.org/rp/magick/magickcantrip.html
http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29
http://www.armageddon.org/HyperNews/get/general-archive1998/42.html

Q. Why don't people like magickers?

A. In Tuluk, it was believed that magickers destroyed an enormous portion of it. If a person is suspected of being a magicker in Tuluk, they're killed. In Allanak, magickers MUST register with the templarate as a magicker. They will be given a black gem to be worn about their neck. Magickers that consciously recognize what they are and do not register are often in deep trouble and will most likely be killed.

Q. How many different levels of karma are there? What options do they open up?

A. There are eight in total. Very few people, if any, have full karma. The levels are as follows:

• 1 - Desert elf
  • 2 - Vivaduan (Water Elementalist) and Rukkian (Stone Elementalist)
  • 3 - Half-giant
  • 4 - Krathi (Fire Elementalist) and Whiran (Wind Elementalist)
  • 5 - Elkrosian (Lightning Elementalist) and Drovian (Shadow Elementalist)
  • 6 - Nilazi (Void Elementalist)
  • 7 - Mul
  • 8 - Psionicist and Sorceror
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Looks good.  One major correction needs to be made however.  On your second question, change to word class to guild and you'll be set.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Quote5 - Elkrosian (Lightning Elementalist) and Drovian (Shadow Elementalist)

Elkran! The word is Elkran, damn you!
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "http://www.armageddon.org/rp/magick/magickfaq.html"Drov: Drovian/Drovians;
Elkros: Elkrosian/Elkrosians as well as Elkran/Elkrans;
Nilaz: Nilazi for both singular and plural forms;
Ruk: Rukkian/Rukkians;
Suk-Krath: Suk-Krathi or Krathi for both singular and plural forms;
Vivadu: Vivaduan/Vivaduans;
Whira: Whiran/Whirans

CHECKMATE!
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!