A Task System

Started by hatchets, June 25, 2012, 11:28:38 AM

*short, overly dramatic yawn*

Nope. Not persuaded. All your speculation is bias, unlike the OP's.

>_>

In the big cities I agree that we have enough coded jobs, but I could see adding some to Luirs, and perhaps Cenyr to give those people trying to get away something to keep them busy and able to buy food.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

June 27, 2012, 07:56:12 PM #51 Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:10:57 PM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: musashi on June 27, 2012, 07:44:49 PM
*short, overly dramatic yawn*

Nope. Not persuaded. All your speculation is bias, unlike the OP's.

>_>

In the big cities I agree that we have enough coded jobs, but I could see adding some to Luirs, and perhaps Cenyr to give those people trying to get away something to keep them busy and able to buy food.
*turn, squint, pause, wink*

So you agree with me, you just don't agree with my argument? I'd ask why you believe we have enough jobs in the big cities, then? Isn't more better if I'm wrong? Variety being the spice of life, and all that.

How is my speculation bias?

Well it's bias because it supports what you're saying instead of what the OP is saying. Obviously.  :-*

I think that inside of the cities are quite a few coded jobs to do already so ... go and do those. If you think it's unrealistic that you can continuously forage the same area for the same resource ... stop going there and vary where you forage a bit. Let staff know that area is being over foraged. They've been known to reflect this in the game world before.

But in very isolated places like Cenyr, the people who are there are likely trying to avoid much interaction from other PC's. So maybe giving them something they can do to participate in that settlement's meager economy wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Nope, that sounds like a good idea to me too.

Well then it's obviously biased.

I'm totally lost now. But my original point that was that you were making bias and speculative assumptions on player behaviour based off your behaviour. Which doesn't really mean anything. When you are discussing stuff like what really influences player retention then you need a more accurate way to study player behaviour and the direct results of implementing various...stuffs.

Anyway, off-topic.

If people want to interact with other people...they will. If they want to go grind on some quest type tasks...then they will. Not providing people with grindy tasks will not force them to interact if they don't want to. It's a game, people do what they want to do.

I'd be totally down to see some more interesting coded 'tasks/jobs/quests/whatevers'. There are plenty of times I don't want to interact with other people and I'd prefer to go make some 'sid so my character can afford some new shoes. But lacking a feasible way for my character to do that - I'll just log off instead, on-peak or off-peak. I certainly won't go tavern sit if I'm not in the mood.

If it's off-peak and I DO want to interact but I log on and there's 4 players on...I'll also just log off. If there was something else to do that I wanted to do, then I might hang around longer and then eventually bump into someone to interact with.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Yes, my argument against the speculative idea that this will help with player retention was also speculative. This is generally how one forms an argument without have complete knowledge of everything... with speculation.  :D

[/last word syndrome-aaaahhhh]

Speculate that.  :)

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Oi, I ain' got any last words for this one, I surrender!

Haha. I knew I could outsmart you.  ::)

A few RPI's of ye olde past often featured in game message boards at important local shops (which were often PC owned, but ours would be GMH owned).

PC's left an order, shop owner replied. Date/meet was set. Items and Funds were exchanged. (Kind of how the worlds had to work when you didn't have the Way)

This could also work in reverse for local businesses that need orders filled. Owners would post current needs, when they could be available to pick up said items and grebbers would greb and reply post when they planned to step in to sell said merchandise.

PC leaders would be able to soothe the bulging veins in their foreheads and just go, "Go ahead and tell my assistant at the shop about your orders."

Sadly, these boards would likely require fairly regular upkeep but it would help offpeakers interact with the rest of the gameworld.

Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Ok....that would actually be really cool. PC's filling PC's needs...but giving them a way to communicate across play times. Salarr needs wood, it says so in the Salarr shops and how much they are paying. PC GMH deposits coin with the shopkeeper...So...Grebbers could go get would...and...sell it to the Salarr shop (who wouldn't normally buy wood) until the requirement was filled and the shopkeeper was out of the deposited funds?

Or would you have to wait until you could meet a PC to make the trade? That would remove the benefit for off-peakers.

For simplicity sake you'd probably still have to meet a PC from the organization.

The thing is - you could arrange your appointment through the message board instead of getting lucky and catching
someone online via the Way.

It's not supposed to be completely automated just more of a compromise and useful utility to encourage interaction.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

The problem lies less in the fact that we need more tasks but that the tasks we currently have kinda suck in terms of leisure and availability.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

GMH's certainly have access to both IG boards, and of course GDB boards. This could be begun without any delay at all, frankly, in clan.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870