Armageddon Standard Time

Started by Maso, June 13, 2012, 06:08:54 AM

Ok...this might not seem like an issue to some...because how hard is it to figure out timezone differences etc....but I find it incredibly annoying sometimes. Keeping track of the timezone differences (especially when I'm moving country a lot), trying to keep track of which timezones are in daylight savings and which aren't and when they change (people never seem say when the country they are posting from is in savings time or not)...

Some RPT's are in CST, some are in GMT, some are in PST or EST or whatever.

You go on a clan board, and you get Amos who plays 6-12 CST, Marie who plays 4-8 GMT, Tektolnes who plays 12-7 CEST...and you have to translate it all to where ever you are. It's totally unnecessary brain pain.

Why don't we just pick one for Arm, call it AST, have a clock running on the homepage...and stick with it. It's arbitrary which timezone it is...and daylight savings time is irrelevant to Arm...so why don't we just have a standardised time that we all work to? (it works well on Neopets >.>).

It would be incredibly easy to do and I think very beneficial to organisation and planning.

Doo it.

Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Seconded, just add something to the homepage, take the current time of the server and just use AST instead of whatever timezone the server is in currently.

<?php echo "It is currently " date"hh-ii AA" ) . " in Armageddon Standard Time (AST)." ?>

Add some HTML tags around it to make it bigger and you're done.

This will give something like

It is currently 06:14 AM in Armageddon Standard Time (AST).
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Exactly!

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Yeah, well that's basically what I do. But you still have the problem of knowing whether the person has forgotten to mention whether or not they are in savings time or not...

It's also a pain for working out clan player times, unless you want to personally convert and keep a record of others playtimes in your timezone...which is just awkward...

June 13, 2012, 07:07:59 AM #5 Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:32:36 AM by Barsook
I can read.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Also, I see one problem: What timezome will the time be based on?
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on June 13, 2012, 07:08:47 AM
Also, I see one problem: What timezome will the time be based on?

Whatever time. The time that server is currently set to. GMT, PST, EST...pick one out of a hat. It really doesn't matter - it's entirely arbitrary. Whatever time it is...everyone will learn to relate their own timezone to that, so it becomes a 'universal' timezone...rather than trying to relate their own timezone to every single other timezone at once.

I figured.  And I do dig this idea.
Fredd-

It's really not that hard to relate time zones.

Just use http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ or, hell, google time zone.

You know you're addicted to Arm when you want its own time zone created :P
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: Yam on June 13, 2012, 07:34:13 AM
It's really not that hard to relate time zones.

Just use http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ or, hell, google time zone.

I think it's actually simpler to implement a clock on the Arm homepage and call it AST...once...than it is for every player to check a timezone clock every time they have to coordinate with another player in a different timezone.

And like I said before, people often don't include daylight savings. For example, I'm in GMT...I just say I'm in GMT. Even if we're in daylight savings, hell, I don't even know when we are in daylight savings! So people will assume I'm GMT and work accordingly, they won't know what country I am in to check to whether it's in daylight savings time or not...and they'll miss me by an hour. Because apparently it is DLS time.

I have missed RPT's and events and scheduled meetings in the past...I'm not saying it's not because I'm a bit crap...maybe I am...but I know that this would help me and I bet others too.

I haven't ever seen anyone mention being in daylight savings time, in any timezone, during my entire play here. And honestly, trying to understand the ins and outs of various countries timezone names and techniques is confusing some times (especially in the states, and I live there now...theres 8 different zones?!)......

But no...adding a clock to the home page and calling it AST...would be so difficult....it's not worth all the time it could potentially save players.

Just think it would make everything a lot neater. Especially when trying to work out good times for RPT's etc.

There are references to timezones.  It's why some people say they're in EDT rather than EST, or GDT rather than GMT.  It's a subtle indication but it's there and I've definitely used it myself.

But I definitely wouldn't mind having a server time.  I would prefer it be displayed as "Armageddon server time" on the webpage rather than an acronym so we don't confuse people who haven't read this thread.  It seems like most games with players across wide timezones have a server time.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

For what it's worth, the server time* is GMT -4 during Daylight Saving- s Time in the US and GMT -5 otherwise. Daylight Savings Time currently begins on the second Sunday of March and ends on the first Sunday of November in the US, where the server is based.

* I define "server time" as the date and time that comes up next to an IG board post.

Having the server time visible would definitely be handy, both on the website and perhaps as an attachment to the "time" command in game.

If there is an 'Armageddon Server Time' it probably shouldn't adjust to daylight savings - that just over complicates it, especially as DST is different in every country. It should just be a time...that stays the same...for everyone.

If it was up on the Arm site and possibly in game too...that would help encourage people to use it rather than their local time.

The time on the IG board is set to whatever time zone you are in...Mine is currently 9 hours behind GMT or GDT...or whatever, not 5.

Oh. I thought it was the same for everyone. Well, that complicates things.

Quote from: Cutthroat on June 13, 2012, 08:40:47 AM
Oh. I thought it was the same for everyone. Well, that complicates things.

Not only is it not the same for everyone, it isn't even the same for everyone in the USA. Some parts of this country don't recognize daylight savings time at all and while most of the USA changes clocks back and forth an hour, they don't.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I guess you could pick a timezone based on where the majority of players are from, which I would guess is either eastern or central US but would probably take either a poll or analysis of who connects to the game to figure out.

June 13, 2012, 08:56:01 AM #18 Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:58:18 AM by Lizzie
You don't need to analyze anything. There already exists a universal mean time: GMT. In the world, GMT is set at 0. Everything else revolves around it, up or down depending on where it is on the cylindrical map, laid out flat. Every time converter in existence recognizes it as the standard, and many people already know how to convert. Hell, even clocks in international airports have it spot dab in the middle of all their other clocks, and even my supermarket has 3 clocks: 1 for local time, 1 for GMT, and 1 for Tokyo.

If I see on the Arm clock that it's 12:53 PM, all I need to know is that HERE at my house, it's 8:53 AM. I know that Arm's clock is 4 hours ahead of mine. So if someone posts on the GDB "Hey! RPT on Saturday, at 6PM AST!" I know to subtract 4 hours and I get that it starts at 2PM in the afternoon, for me.

It doesn't matter what time zone they -use- to create their clock, however, there already exists GMT from which all other time zones evolve. Rather than add more confusion by changing the "standard" real-world clock, why not just use the one that already exists. Then, people who -want- to use a real actual converter..or people who can count good without one, can figure it out easily.

Quote from: Lizzie on June 13, 2012, 08:56:01 AM
You don't need to analyze anything. There already exists a universal mean time: GMT. In the world, GMT is set at 0. Everything else revolves around it, up or down depending on where it is on the cylindrical map, laid out flat. Every time converter in existence recognizes it as the standard, and many people already know how to convert. Hell, even clocks in international airports have it spot dab in the middle of all their other clocks, and even my supermarket has 3 clocks: 1 for local time, 1 for GMT, and 1 for Tokyo.

If I see on the Arm clock that it's 12:53 PM, all I need to know is that HERE at my house, it's 8:53 AM. I know that Arm's clock is 4 hours ahead of mine. So if someone posts on the GDB "Hey! RPT on Saturday, at 6PM AST!" I know to subtract 4 hours and I get that it starts at 2PM in the afternoon, for me.

It doesn't matter what time zone they -use- to create their clock, however, there already exists GMT from which all other time zones evolve. Rather than add more confusion by changing the "standard" real-world clock, why not just use the one that already exists. Then, people who -want- to use a real actual converter..or people who can count good without one, can figure it out easily.

Exactly this. GMT makes a sensible choice. It's not like the actual time of 'AST' would have any real impact. It is entirely arbitrary!! But it makes sense to use GMT.

Armageddon's server is on Eastern (whether daylight or standard).  It has been for close to forever, and probably will continue to be so.  Putting that actual time up on the homepage seems like a good idea, though.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on June 13, 2012, 09:03:39 AM
Armageddon's server is on Eastern (whether daylight or standard).  It has been for close to forever, and probably will continue to be so.  Putting that actual time up on the homepage seems like a good idea, though.

Yay!

Can you also do an announcement to encourage people to use it instead of local timezones?  :-*

GMT is what "makes sense," except that 70% of the players will find it easier to calculate from US Eastern time (including US Daylight Savings, Common Variant, when applicable).  And the other 30% are well-used to American cultural imperialism. :-*
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Mountain time has no daylight savings, aka Arizona Colorado etc....if that helps.

If people are too lazy to bother themselves with learning the timezones that are important to the things they do already, making/designating an arm specific timezone won't help.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

I strongly agree that this won't change much. People still won't think about it or try to understand it. It's a good idea in thoery, but like Riya said it's just another timezone conversion people will be too lazy to do.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

I don't see this as necessary. I'd still end up having to figure out what time this Armageddon Time Zone is in my own time zone.

Couldn't the staff put a converter under the line that has the sever time for those who needs to convert?
Fredd-

Really, all we need is some sort of SMF BBC tag like [time="<timezone>"]HH:MM[/time] that converts to the reader's timezone setting.  However, I have no idea how hard that is to do and/or if someone else has already made a module for it.

Well it seems to work for game websites with players in the millions..It's about creating habits. It's easier to build a relationship with one timezone, so that eventually it becomes an easy and natural conversion.

Quote from: A Large Bag on June 13, 2012, 11:14:38 AM
I don't see this as necessary. I'd still end up having to figure out what time this Armageddon Time Zone is in my own time zone.

Well you would look at your clock...and then the clock on the Arm page...

Which is exactly what you have to do now...

So you can either see the time posted on the GDB and then go to something like http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc or learn about the timezones you need and remember them.

There's no reason to have staff add all kinds of stuff to the armageddon homepage when it's just as easy to bookmark a converter and check that.

Though the forum code conversion does sound like an idea, though people would have to remember to use it - assuming it's possible to do that with the forum code.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Quote from: Maso on June 13, 2012, 12:05:54 PM
Quote from: A Large Bag on June 13, 2012, 11:14:38 AM

Well you would look at your clock...and then the clock on the Arm page...

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on June 13, 2012, 12:11:25 PM

Yeah, which was my point. There would be nothing gained by this change.

June 13, 2012, 12:35:45 PM #34 Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:51:05 PM by flurry
I used to regularly play a MUD where this is in place, and my experience was that it was definitely helpful. That MUD is hosted in Sweden, so the local time is central Europe time. My guess is the player base there is roughly half North American players and half European players, so time conversion was often an issue if you wanted to coordinate meeting times. On that game, there is a command "date" that would give the local date and time. It made it really easy to agree to meet at "6 pm game time" or whatever.

If some players don't find something like this necessary, they don't need to use it, of course. Living in the Eastern time zone, I have it easy here because the player base is predominantly North American. So I probably wouldn't need it here as much as I did on that MUD. Still, I really liked having that resource and I think it would be a good change.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

I can't ever remember which time zone I'm IN, let alone how to convert -your- time zone to mine. Is it EDT currently? or is it EST? Or is that supposed to be DST vs. EDT? or DST vs. EST? I've lived through several "official" incarnations of how time zones are supposed to be, and never really cared which was which, as long as I knew what time it is NOW, wherever I happen to be, and whatever time zone I happen to be IN. It's not a matter of being lazy, it's more a matter of being apathetic. I really don't give a damn if I'm in delta or standard or greenwich. I only care about whether or not it's time for my lunch break, or if I have to remind my husband that he has to leave for bowling in an hour, or if it's time to shut down the computer and get to bed. For me, that would be: 11AM, 5:30PM, and 10PM, respectively. Is that 11AM EDT? Who the fuck knows. It's 11AM *MY* time.

So - with all that said, having an Arm-to-MYtime converter would be very helpful, because then I could use it no matter what time zone I happen to be computing from, at any given moment.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on June 13, 2012, 12:11:25 PM

So you can either see the time posted on the GDB and then go to something like http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc or learn about the timezones you need and remember them.

There's no reason to have staff add all kinds of stuff to the armageddon homepage when it's just as easy to bookmark a converter and check that.

Though the forum code conversion does sound like an idea, though people would have to remember to use it - assuming it's possible to do that with the forum code.

Except you have to do it for multiple timezones all the time. Learning one is a hell of a lot easier.

For example...You are trying to organise an RPT.

As it stands...

You want the RPT to be at 8pm EST, the people who you want to invite have given you their availability. Jane is around 7pm-12am PST, Bob is around 9am to 1pm GMT, Jack is around 3pm to 6pm Australian DST, Mary is around 12am to 3am JST.

You are left to figure it all out.

OR everyone does their bit and translates their time into AST...

You want the RPT to be at 8pm AST, the people who you want to invite have given you their availability. Jane is around 4pm-8pm AST, Bob is around 9pm to 1am AST, Jack is around 8am to 12pm AST (he definitely can't come), Mary is around 4am to 10am AST (she probably won't make it either).

So much easier.

I don't really understand why this seems hard to get. It really does help.

If people are going to nitpick the finer points of efficiency, I really have to speak up, because this is one of my specialties:

Currently, one performs zero mathematical operations on their own availability times, but must perform one different mathematical operation on every additional time zone represented among the group of players in their clan in order to understand their playtimes.  (Total unique operations: 0 + NUMBER OF OTHER TIME ZONES IN CLAN )

Using a standardized time zone, a player must perform one mathematical operation on their own availability time (to convert it to a standard time zone), and then applies the reverse of that operation to the times reported by other players to convert it to their own time.  No additional operations are necessary. (Total unique operations: 2---really more like 1.5 since one is necessarily the inverse of the other.)

Thus, if all players share your time zone, obviously, this idea costs effort.  If only one player is in a different time zone, this idea costs effort.  If two players are in different time zones from you and from each other, the idea saves a little bit of effort (two unique operations are performed in each case, but in the AST case, the operations are in a predictable, fixed relationship).  For cases where there are three or more players with time zones different from you and from each other, this idea saves more and more effort with each player/time zone added.

In fact, the above actually understates the efficiency gain of this idea in many scenarios.  If a player from your clan is replaced with someone from a different time zone, under the AST idea, no unique operations are added to the system.  Furthermore, if the relationship of your time zone to other time zones changes (either because of Daylight Saving Time on your end or theirs, moving, or whatever), under the AST idea you simply note your new relationship to AST and continue using that single operation to calculate all playtimes.  Without a standard time zone, you must redetermine every unique operation in the system in light of the new timezone relationship and reapply them to all playtimes.

Therefore, it is wildly, demonstrably incorrect that "nothing would be gained from this idea" in terms of efficiency and effort expended.  Of course, none of this would be necessary if we all stopped logging out of Arm entirely. Then we could just use IC time like the Highlord intended.

Then just put up the server time zone and have people conform to that. Which is pretty much what I've always tried to do anyway. Which is why I say it would make no change for me personally. I pretty much always post times in Eastern time zone, it used to be that most people did. I'm not sure when people started getting lazy and only posting in their own time zone instead of figuring it out and posting what it is in Eastern. There are only zero operations if what you've been doing is the lazy way to begin with. In my case, this is not so.

I give a different time zone with every new character so as to confuse people as to who I am playing.

Having a standard time zone would be useful, but frankly if it's that much different from PST, I am going to fuck it up. Making AST = EST would be ok.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Quote from: Maso on June 13, 2012, 12:59:14 PM
Quote from: catchall on June 13, 2012, 12:48:34 PM

Clever stuff.

<3 you.

It is clever, but it also assumes that players are dickish enough and bad enough at math/timezone conversion to only post replies in their own time zone in response to an RPT post on the GDB.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: Nyr on June 13, 2012, 02:00:24 PM

Clever stuff.

<3 you.

It is clever, but it also assumes that players are dickish enough and bad enough at math/timezone conversion to only post replies in their own time zone in response to an RPT post on the GDB.

Exactly.

Of the last 20 public RPT posts (spanning a period of 7 months):

1 was really vague and listed no time at all and it changed a lot.  I don't think anyone really has a clue what is going on there in terms of what to check or when to be available.  Bad thread!
The rest were specific in start time and provided a time zone.  However, daylight saving time specifications were occasionally problematic (listed as an issue twice, maybe?).

Based on that review, I would suggest that people be consistent in providing an exact date and start time and time zone in the original post subject (or in their polls about when to schedule things).  If you live someplace that celebrates having one more hour of sunlight for part of the year (because aliens), please make an effort to be consistent in detailing the exact time zone so that people don't screw it up.

Yes please, because of everything Maso said.
Or every one use Eastern.  Though there is still the daylight saving... does Ginka do that?
When I am in a clan I do have a chart of their converted playtimes and use the timezone link all the time.
I still never trust GMT players to give me the right time in their summer.

Quote from: ponycorns on June 13, 2012, 10:51:17 AM
Mountain time has no daylight savings, aka Arizona Colorado etc....if that helps.

As a current resident of Colorado, I attest to this statement being false--most of the state if not all of it, utilizes daylight savings time.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: Intrepid on June 13, 2012, 02:54:03 PM
Quote from: ponycorns on June 13, 2012, 10:51:17 AM

As a current resident of Colorado, I attest to this statement being false--most of the state if not all of it, utilizes daylight savings time.

Same in Canada.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I think, I could be wrong but I think that Arizona is the only one in the mountain time zone that doesn't have daylight savings.

Indiana didn't used to recognize daylight savings, all the way up until 2006. Now, it merely has 2 different time zones: most of it is Eastern, and the upper northwest corner (the Gary area) is Central.

I'd prefer that we get a better IG to OOC time converter built into the website, and post RPT in IG time if its a real issue for you to convert from one time zone to another.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

June 13, 2012, 05:20:35 PM #50 Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:24:18 PM by hatchets
Hammond, Indiana has recognized daylight savings for atleast the last 20 years. (thats up there near gary)

As for the timezome problem. Over the span of all the muds I have played, I always find it helpful OOCly, to have some sort of OOCly idea time to base things off of. Can I convert timezones? Yes, do I want to? No. Call it laziness, but being able to do either an OOCtime command, or look somewhere on the website or forum board and see a stationary, non-daylight savings, consistant time in which everything is planned off of, has always proven to help players get together for event.

Could go right on the front main website page, where it lists the current IC time, just pick an OOC timezone and call it armageddon time, whichever timezone staffers like.

Armageddon runs at armageddon.org 4050.

Armageddon last booted 5 days, 6 hours, 14 minutes and 15 seconds ago.

It is currently dawn on Yochem, the 216th day of the Ascending Sun
In the Year of Lirathu's Agitation, year 77 of the 21st Age in Zalanthas.

It is currently 8:20 AM Armageddon time!

Though now that i look up at the top of the forum by my sign in name and all that, there seems to be a time up there that doesnt match my time zone, asusming it shows the same for everyone, could just call that Armageddon time
Life sucks, then you die.

Quote from: Twilight on June 13, 2012, 05:04:24 PM
I'd prefer that we get a better IG to OOC time converter built into the website, and post RPT in IG time if its a real issue for you to convert from one time zone to another.

While this sounds like a great idea in theory, my experience on other muds has been that this method is unreliable in practice, mainly because the conversion can jump around if you have a server reboot. It would take some extra work on the coder's part to ensure that the conversion is stable.

I think displaying the server (Armageddon) time on the webpage is a simple solution that is modestly superior to making everybody use a time zone conversion website because I suspect it will herd people toward adopting that as the standard. Eastern time is kind of a defacto standard, but not everybody uses it.

Why don't we just ask Morgenes if ig time jumps around after a reboot?
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

That's a good idea. We could even check for ourselves if we knew when the reboot was coming.

Also, a little bit of drift might not be bad here. This other mud typically had reboots once a day, if not multiple times in a day. It's common for ginka to be up for a solid week.

The issue with an IC/OOC timezone converter is that there is no inherent formula that can be decoded; it will cease to be accurate when the game crashes or reboots.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Sure there is. 'Help time' gives a linear relationship between IG and RL time. All that's missing from the formula is the zero point. Using this, it's pretty easy to imagine how to fix the IG time to the server time. Of course, I say this without any practical mud coding experience. There must be some complication, or else I don't see why they had so much trouble with it on that other mud. I assumed they were using some kind of interpolation/extrapolation that was causing the jumps.

Quote from: help time
          Real Time -> Zalanthan Time
          10 RL mins      = 1 ZT hour
          1 RL day        = 16 ZT days
          1 RL week       = ~0.5 ZT month
          1 RL month      = ~2 ZT months
          1 RL year       = ~8.5 ZT years

Zalanthan Time -> Real Time
          1 ZT hour       = 10 RL mins
          1 ZT day        = 90 RL mins
          1 ZT week       = 16.5 RL hours
          1 ZT month      = ~2 RL weeks
          1 ZT year       = ~43 RL days

June 14, 2012, 01:17:32 AM #56 Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:26:05 AM by Synthesis
Quote from: Samoa on June 13, 2012, 09:45:58 PM
The issue with an IC/OOC timezone converter is that there is no inherent formula that can be decoded; it will cease to be accurate when the game crashes or reboots.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Zalanthan time is constant with respect to ginka's machine clock.  Reboots don't cause kinks in the timeline.  Dawn has been promptly at 10 after and 40 after for as long as I can remember.

Quote from: Tiernan on March 08, 2004, 11:57:11 PM
Since it took me 90 minutes (1 Zalanthan day  :D ) to write the detailed version of of the time changes, I'll just post the link to it here.

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=71431#71431

Well, 8 years, anyway.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I think there's *days* lost, though, isn't there? I feel like while time constants stay the same, the calendar skips forward a day or two.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---

Quote from: Samoa on June 14, 2012, 02:55:35 AM
I think there's *days* lost, though, isn't there? I feel like while time constants stay the same, the calendar skips forward a day or two.

Read Tiernan's link.  He fixed that problem 8 years ago.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

There is an excel spreadsheet somewhere, linked off of player submissions I think.  Its just clunky.

Time used to jump around with reboots.  It hasn't now for years.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Daylight Savings Time is such a pain. It really ruins everything.

Would having a standard time consistent across the game world magically make people show up on time (and prepared) for events? If so, I'm all for it.

Quote from: Nyr on June 13, 2012, 02:00:24 PM

Clever stuff.

<3 you.

Harsh and a bit offensive.

There is definitely a kind of 'devils advocate' culture here that seems to shoot down the majority of ideas regardless of their simplicity and evident practicality. Having a standard time would help. Tons of vastly successful online games, that have to deal with players from across the scope of the world, utilise universal game times successfully to make life easier for the players. But here, we don't want to make life easier....and anyone suggesting a method that would be easier is just lazy and a dick for preferring easier to harder and more time consuming.

If I'm in England I post my times in GMT, if I'm in LA I post my time in PST. I am a dick.

Even if this thread is full of sceptics, I've yet to see a reason of why a time like this should not be installed. Yes, it might not work out. But as long as it doesn't make the game crash, allow people to abuse bugs or somehow kill your speshul little character, I don't see why this shouldn't be done. Even if nobody will end up using this AST, nothing of value will be lost by it being added.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on June 14, 2012, 09:19:36 AM
Even if this thread is full of sceptics, I've yet to see a reason of why a time like this should not be installed. Yes, it might not work out. But as long as it doesn't make the game crash, allow people to abuse bugs or somehow kill your speshul little character, I don't see why this shouldn't be done. Even if nobody will end up using this AST, nothing of value will be lost by it being added.

Hey man that's FIVE valuable minutes out of a staffers day.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 14, 2012, 09:20:42 AM
Quote from: Patuk on June 14, 2012, 09:19:36 AM

Hey man that's FIVE valuable minutes out of a staffers day.

Hm.

The voices in my head are telling me that, if this thing does not happen, I should wish up and stall a random staffer for five minutes just for the heck of it.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Maso on June 14, 2012, 09:13:30 AM
???

I thought catchall's post was clever, which is why I said that.  I also said it assumes players are dicks/suck at math/conversion because it doesn't take into account the actual data on the matter which I provided later by looking on the GDB; players aren't dicks and don't seem to suck at math/conversion and they have proven that.  I then posted that there do seem to be some issues with confusion on Daylight Saving Time, but only 5-10% of the time.

I didn't look at player availability posts on clan boards.  I know what I do there--I post in my own time.  Grepping this data would be more difficult, probably a waste of time, too.  That's why I didn't do that.

I didn't look at player RPT posts on clan boards.  I know what I do there--I post a tentative time for an RPT based on what I've read on the availability posts already.  People respond with "yeah I can make it" or say "no I can't, I'll be busy," or "I'm offpeak and you guys suck."  This is anecdotal.  I haven't seen every RPT post out there, but I have seen a lot.  There may be someone out there asking to do an RPT at such and such time, and there may be people that only respond by saying they have availability at these times (in their own time zone) without actually saying whether or not it works for them, thereby forcing the initial poster to do the math on their own.  I don't think I've seen it, though.  That doesn't mean it happens or doesn't happen, but there it is.

I didn't say once that I thought the idea of putting the server time on the website would be a bad idea.  I said it was a good idea.  It's not done yet because me agreeing something is a good idea doesn't make it law or make it happen.  I haven't responded on what I thought about the overall matter yet.   I'm not saying the idea sucks.  I'm not tooting a horn saying it's the best thing since sliced bread, but pointing out that people in the Arm Community don't seem to be dicks/bad at math/conversion as far as coordinating RPTs would seem like a good thing, right?  Pointing out something related to the issue doesn't mean that the proposed idea is shit.

That makes sense. I'm not sure why so many of your posts seem to rub me up the wrong way.

Possibly because I imagine them in the voice and attitude of Sheldon Cooper. >.>

Vigorously support using actual IC time to talk about when an event is happening. That also allows event planners to make sure they are starting the event at a time that ICly makes sense and is convenient for the intended play.

Quote from: Samoa on June 14, 2012, 02:55:35 AM

And in the game ;D
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Zalanthas time and our time are in lock.  There are no skipped/lost days anymore, since the great Time Reckoning of forever ago.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Synthesis on June 14, 2012, 02:56:29 AM
Read Tiernan's link.  He fixed that problem 8 years ago.

Quote from: Morgenes on June 14, 2012, 04:36:04 PM
Zalanthas time and our time are in lock.  There are no skipped/lost days anymore, since the great Time Reckoning of forever ago.

Oh.

This is like one of those things where I keep referring to this as the 'new GDB', isn't it?
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---

I personally can't look at Zalanthan time then my clock and then figure out what the date and time will be in Zalanthan time next Tuesday at 5.30pm GMT.

Is that just me?

Quote from: Maso on June 14, 2012, 05:30:14 PM
I personally can't look at Zalanthan time then my clock and then figure out what the date and time will be in Zalanthan time next Tuesday at 5.30pm GMT.

Is that just me?

I have to use my fingers to figure out what time it is PST, when I'm EST. And I can't remember if I'm EST or EDT. East coast, it's 7:06. West coast, it's 4:06. Or is it 3:06? Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific - nothing inbetween right? Right. So then it's 4:06 western.

That's how I have to figure it for everything. That's the "dialogue" that goes on in my head whenever someone tries to get me to convert times.

Next Tuesday? Heh. I won't even try.

armageddon dot org says:
QuoteArmageddon runs at armageddon.org 4050.

Armageddon last booted 1 day, 8 hours, 48 minutes and 31 seconds ago.

It is currently late morning on Abid, the 36th day of the Descending Sun
In the Year of Jihae's Anger, year 1 of the 22nd Age in Zalanthas.

Current server time is : 10:08:01 PM

THANKS!
:)

Sweet :)
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Thanks.
Fredd-