Idea to stop people abusing gate guards

Started by Cerelum, May 29, 2012, 08:11:44 PM

Quote from: Trance on May 31, 2012, 04:26:04 AM
This is really a code problem.

I would doubt heavily that the game world is full of dumb death-seeking critters.
I would think that most animals and beasts and what have you are very smart, very careful
and very concerned with their own survival.

So, in saying that how realistic is it for a raptor, or tembo or whatever to charge the gates when
certain death is...certain. I'd think a critter would try its luck on ambushing a lone person in the
sands, but if it got away, and then got back to the gates - it would call off the chase, not charge
in after it.

Using the real world, how many animals do you know that do this? Beside the badasses out most
run when out numbered and out gunned. Honey Badgers the exception.

A Mek might consider it but anything else would have seen the slaughter, or grown up following
mommy and daddy scrab who avoid it, because they have seen it - or who themselves grew up
with grand-daddy scrab who avoided it because aunt scrab mindy got smushed running after a
chalton leather-hoofed meat sack.

See what im saying? While the gates are up - it should be hard coded that -most- critters should
give up the chase when they come within range of the gates, and consider the meal lost, and
turn back.

Thus solving the issue of how to deal with the dead critter, and converting the gates from a point
of slaughter into deterint for attack.

That or simply do what a certain city gate does, and slams the gates shut when anything comes into
range. But then, who has claim to those chalton boots? The soldiers who placed bets on the carnage
and watched it or the grebber who stumbled onto it innocently once the danger had passed and the
gates lifted.

I think we'd all love to see smarter critters, but doing it right would take a motivated coder and blessings from above to tinker with something that has worked well enough for a long time. So, I doubt that's going to happen.

Incidentally, I like the gate-slamming behavior - very theme appropriate. I think a good solution is to make all the gate guards do that, except that the guards don't always seem to know when its safe to open up again, which can be annoying. It's a fun little scene that comes up from time to time, that the gate is shut because there is a troublesome beast on the other side, and a few PCs sally forth to put it down.

I've only ever found that to be extremely annoying.

Like, holy shit. There's a gortok outside. Better shut down EVERYTHING.

Quote from: Yam on May 31, 2012, 05:46:04 AM

Agreed. It'd be better if they only did it if it was something really big and nasty. Its a nuisance.

Quote from: Yam on May 31, 2012, 05:46:04 AM

I remember laughing at a gate guard once while staff was animating them because they closed the gates to stop kylori from getting in. They didn't appreciate being laughed at.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

The action of luring any creature to a gate guard to have it killed so you can loot the body then piss off is bad...

The action of a PC getting ripped to pieces by any number of creatures, then running back to civilization.. And have a creature track them across the known to get killed at the gate, isn't.

I don't think this is a code problem.. But more a problem of the player. Send a complaint and log to staff.
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Dakota on May 31, 2012, 08:25:39 AM
The action of luring any creature to a gate guard to have it killed so you can loot the body then piss off is bad...

The action of a PC getting ripped to pieces by any number of creatures, then running back to civilization.. And have a creature track them across the known to get killed at the gate, isn't.

I don't think this is a code problem.. But more a problem of the player. Send a complaint and log to staff.

+1

Also, when I think of "exploit", I would think it is profitable beyond what is reasonable, and the work of dragging monsters to gates and a few skinned corpses... Doesnt sound very worthwhile. Good for a free corpse now and then but whatever.

add to that the big risk of IC embarassment and we do not have a problem here.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I vote for Trance's idea.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Luring MOBs to the gates is a no no when its done to profit and to use code abusivly. now with that said. There are time when situations arise that self preservation is needed.  You walk out of storm get two rooms and a nasty critter pops up that you know you cant fight, so what do you do, you turn around and run as fast as possible back into storm for protection. Now if the critter decides to chase you and the guards kill it this to me is not taking advantage of code.  you can even go so far as to say to a guard "Krath did you see that thing come out of no where, thank all that you where here to stop it."  Throw him a few coins and a big thankyou for his protection.  Now for those that do lure cratures to the gates to get em killed, you will be noticed and you will be warned to stop. Trust me this is a very old issue and it does get noticed with sever discipline to the player.