Request Tool Effectiveness

Started by Schrodingers Cat, May 28, 2012, 03:27:38 PM

As a player, how effective have you found using the request tool for communicating with staff?

Very Effective
47 (55.3%)
Effective
20 (23.5%)
Somewhat effective
16 (18.8%)
Ineffective
1 (1.2%)
Completely ineffective
0 (0%)
It depends/Other
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 85

June 11, 2012, 02:38:03 PM #75 Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 02:40:21 PM by Delirium
I preferred to keep IC/OOC stuff in the same topic, but designated so that it was clear which is which.

i.e.

IC: my character is doing this to character B, because my character believes in their heart of hearts that they're going to backstab them.
OOC: I doubt character B is really trying to screw mine over, but mine is paranoid because of event A and coincidence C.

YMMV, but I would definitely not force a certain layout for reports.

I think the request tool works fine in most cases besides a few pointed out already such as the ability to have the door slammed in your face so to speak.

I do not like sending in Character Reports all that much though for a few reasons.

1. Honestly with my past, I think there are staff would plot against me with their masses of NPCs and sponsored roles if they knew what I was attempting 90% of the time.

2. I don't like telling other people what I'm up to at all in the first place.

3. I feel there is a glass ceiling on what can be done.  And getting your hopes dashed when you say "I'm trying to do x and y because of my characters this and that." and they go "Nope can't do it."  Makes me not wanna play after my carefully crafted plans are shattered.

Those are my reasons though.

Quote from: Cerelum on June 11, 2012, 02:54:38 PM
I think the request tool works fine in most cases besides a few pointed out already such as the ability to have the door slammed in your face so to speak.

I do not like sending in Character Reports all that much though for a few reasons.

1. Honestly with my past, I think there are staff would plot against me with their masses of NPCs and sponsored roles if they knew what I was attempting 90% of the time.

Directly related post #1 on this + directly related post #2 on this.  These might be your "thoughts," but they do not match up with reality.  I'd recommend a read of the rest of the thread as well.

2. I don't like telling other people what I'm up to at all in the first place.

There's no obligation to report in most cases unless told otherwise.  Of course, it is one of the best ways for staff to see what your characters are up to as we can't watch everything all of the time, so it'll be difficult to get karma in any category except longevity. 

3. I feel there is a glass ceiling on what can be done.  And getting your hopes dashed when you say "I'm trying to do x and y because of my characters this and that." and they go "Nope can't do it."  Makes me not wanna play after my carefully crafted plans are shattered.

This has little to do with reporting.  If your carefully crafted plans rely on staff interaction or feedback, you're going to have to accept that sometimes the answer is "no."
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on June 11, 2012, 03:20:07 PM
There's no obligation to report in most cases unless told otherwise.  Of course, it is one of the best ways for staff to see what your characters are up to as we can't watch everything all of the time, so it'll be difficult to get karma in any category except longevity. 
Wait.  So basically, if I send in weekly stories that chronical all the mundane shit I've been doing, I'm more apt to get more karma because I'm telling you stories?  So you simply want me to Narrate my hours upon hours of playing?

Well shit, I would have had eight karma by now if I'd have known you wanted me to type you weekly stories.  I'll get right on that.

Quote from: Cerelum on June 11, 2012, 03:49:39 PM
Quote from: Nyr on June 11, 2012, 03:20:07 PM
Wait.  So basically, if I send in weekly stories that chronical all the mundane shit I've been doing, I'm more apt to get more karma because I'm telling you stories?  So you simply want me to Narrate my hours upon hours of playing?

Well shit, I would have had eight karma by now if I'd have known you wanted me to type you weekly stories.  I'll get right on that.

No.  This was not indicated by my post.  If someone says "it will be difficult to get something if you don't do this," it does not mean "it will be easy to get everything if you do this."  We have categories for karma.  We have outlined what communication mediums are available.  We have outlined the importance of reports.  See "help karma" and "help staff communication" and "help reports" for details. 
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.