New Command: toss

Started by Creslin, May 22, 2012, 11:14:43 AM

May 22, 2012, 08:12:10 PM #25 Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:16:38 PM by maxid
Quote from: musashi on May 22, 2012, 07:44:02 PM
I prefer the thoughtful posts of actual old timers like LoD to this new fangled dismissal of every post someone makes with suggestions for game improvement  :P

Thing is, I've been around for about a decade, maybe just a bit over, so while I'm not the oldest set of old timers, I've definitely been around for a considerable amount of time and I've actually been around longer than some of the people bitching when the discussion board is used for discussion, which boggles my mind.  It's not only recently that people have been like OMG NO NEW IDEAS, but it's become more popular lately, and it's fairly silly overall.

Way too much effort. ;D

You're right, though. Maybe we shouldn't be so old and set in our ways.

(for what it's worth, I've always wished you could, at least, throw torches into an adjacent room)

Two limitations of the throw command I wish we could get a work around to: Perhaps not all items are tagged holdable that realistically should be. And being able to throw something without an NPC target in the room.

You should be able to hold -anything- that you can pick up without two hands.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Delirium on May 22, 2012, 08:12:49 PM
Way too much effort. ;D

(for what it's worth, I've always wished you could, at least, throw torches into an adjacent room)

You'll be able to in Arm.2
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on May 22, 2012, 08:49:08 PM
Quote from: Delirium on May 22, 2012, 08:12:49 PM
Way too much effort. ;D

You'll be able to in Arm.2

They said that Arm.2 was canceled, but they never said anything about Arm 3!

#keepingthedreamalive
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Maso on May 22, 2012, 08:26:23 PM
Two limitations of the throw command I wish we could get a work around to: Perhaps not all items are tagged holdable that realistically should be. And being able to throw something without an NPC target in the room.

You should be able to hold -anything- that you can pick up without two hands.

I agree but I've run across the odd thing that was not holdable more than once. Tridents for example.  A sliver of metal. A bit of rock. Here and there someone did not add the flag to make said item fit in your "es" slot, be it by oversight or intention.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

When you come across something that can't be held when it probably should be, feel free to typo it.

I do. Some items though, are not hold-able by design. Like tridents (Nyr told me!). So one can never "throw" a trident into the next room for example.

I will never be Poseidon :[

I know man. I already cried about it.

Quote from: musashi on May 23, 2012, 06:35:34 AM
I do. Some items though, are not hold-able by design. Like tridents (Nyr told me!). So one can never "throw" a trident into the next room for example.

For those that might be a bit confused, by hold-able, Musashi refers to one handing something, be it wield or hold. Weild being a primary hand and hold secondary. Tridents being a two handed weapon is thus allocated to two hands only, and so not throw-able.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Tridents can be held in the primary hand. I'm just referring to the existence of things in game designed to not be holdable in the secondary hand for various reasons. Those things are by default, unthrowable it would seem.

Don't you throw with your primary hand?
Quote from: Nyr>mount corpse

Apt.

Fuck throwing!  Now I want a damn trident!

Also, I do like the idea of being able to shoot or throw something into a room without a target.  I thought shoot could already do this, but it's been a while since I used it (and it's not pertinent to the idea).
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Romy on May 23, 2012, 11:19:49 AM

Looking at the help file, it would appear to be either or, actually.  :o
So it's only the object that can't be put in a hand equipment slot at all that would pose a problem.

Ok, there's one item that's two handed and can't be thrown, despite obviously being designed for throwing and actually refers to being thrown in the mdesc. If someone knows what I'm talking about and has access to one, bug it! I can't remember if I did back in the day.

Quote from: Spoon on May 23, 2012, 02:23:56 PM
Ok, there's one item that's two handed and can't be thrown, despite obviously being designed for throwing and actually refers to being thrown in the mdesc. If someone knows what I'm talking about and has access to one, bug it! I can't remember if I did back in the day.

not sure if bug or puny, weak character
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Unless the mdesc actually refers to its being a two-handed weapon, it's probably just that you're not strong enough to one-hand it.

Quote from: Nyr on May 23, 2012, 03:16:10 PM

not sure if bug or puny, weak character

(I typed my response hours ago--before Nyr's!--and lost it in under a horde of chittering windows.)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: musashi on May 23, 2012, 11:52:24 AM
Quote from: Romy on May 23, 2012, 11:19:49 AM

Looking at the help file, it would appear to be either or, actually.  :o
So it's only the object that can't be put in a hand equipment slot at all that would pose a problem.

You can throw primary or secondary held item ('wield' or 'hold').

I'm trying to think of objects IRL that are typically thrown two-handed ...  Caber toss?  Dunno.

Anything too heavy to throw with one hand.

Atonement and SoI have throwing items into rooms.

do we really want to be outshone by them

I don't think outshone is a word, metekillot.  Quit messing with my mind!

Quote from: Kismetic on May 23, 2012, 09:49:11 PM
I don't think outshone is a word, metekillot.  Quit messing with my mind!

???
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game