Arrange, changeldesc, and you.

Started by MeTekillot, May 17, 2012, 03:31:11 PM

Leaving the 'Is here' can be useful for a pile of things. When someone takes the second to last thing, 'are' changes itself back to 'is'.

A code limit to the arrange system:

Once you remove the "is here" default, you also remove the option to place multiples. Example:

Many green widgets are piled up on a shelf.

get green;get green;get green;get green, etc...
look:

A green widget are piled up on a shelf.

So if you have a lot of something and want to keep them all clustered as a "some" "many" or "few" then you need to do
arrange green in a pile on a shelf.

so the result will be

A green widget is here, in a pile on a shelf.
Two green widgets are here, in a pile on a shelf.
Many green widgets are here, in a pile on a shelf.

This only applies to multiples that you want to have the same ldesc, so that you don't see 50 individual green widgets scrolling off your client screen when you type LOOK ROOM, you see "many" green widgets all in one neat line.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

The "is here" appended to the end by default drove me absolutely bonkers in one warehouse I was eventually allowed access to. I learned all the nuances of the arrange code about four months into my Arming days specifically to be able to get rid of that, and I have no regrets. I like the flexibility it provides and the way you can shorten the descs so that the rooms appear neater for folks who don't have brief turned on.

I haven't played around with ldesc that much because I was told at some point early on that it doesn't work if you're sitting at a table. Is that incorrect? My grand ideas of having a character that sat on the bartop kicking her feet like a big kid were dashed, and I gained no interest in playing with that type of command further.