Armageddon 2 Cancelled - discussion thread

Started by Adhira, May 15, 2012, 10:08:10 PM

Quote from: Fredd on May 16, 2012, 01:04:57 AM
Quote from: KankWhisperer on May 16, 2012, 12:55:48 AM
Quote from: Fredd on May 16, 2012, 12:52:26 AM
And FYI: A war between north and south again IS possible. It would just take some action from one sides nobles. You want that war? App a noble, get some political alliances with other nobles, and start working for it.

NPC Higher ups will put the kabosh on any two groups in open conflict these days.

Lies. I have somewhat recently pitted two groups against eachother in a war as a third party. These were two, coded, clans.

All it took was some spice, and a few lies.

Edit: This was less then a year ago, so i can't say more then this.

No, it's not still ongoing.

Cooler heads will always prevail and it'll be resolved and the status quo will return.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on May 16, 2012, 01:06:49 AM
And FYI: A war between north and south again IS possible. It would just take some action from one sides nobles. You want that war? App a noble, get some political alliances with other nobles, and start working for it.

NPC Higher ups will put the kabosh on any two groups in open conflict these days.

Lies. I have somewhat recently pitted two groups against eachother in a war as a third party. These were two, coded, clans.

Cooler heads will always prevail and it'll be resolved and the status quo will return.

it resolved. After the leader of a certain group was massively humiliated, and my goal was complete.

After that, honestly, I didn't care if it fizzeled or turned into zalanthas war 3. LOL.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on May 16, 2012, 01:08:45 AM
Quote from: KankWhisperer on May 16, 2012, 01:06:49 AM

it resolved. After the leader of a certain group was massively humiliated, and my goal was complete.

After that, honestly, I didn't care if it fizzeled or turned into zalanthas war 3. LOL.

That sounds like some petty stuff that's over as soon as three PCs die. That doesn't sound like it is on the scale of you claiming it's possible to start a war between city states.

Alot of people died on both sides.

Personally i think it's possible. prove me wrong. App an apropriate noble, and try it. If it's shot down from above after everything is perfect. I'll mail you a dollar.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Wait a minute....Damn it! I always hoping when Arm 1 ended my volcano would have destroyed Allanak and I'd have bragging rights on winning Arm  :'(
em goes off to mope in the corner.  >:(
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Quote from: Fredd on May 16, 2012, 01:21:59 AM
Alot of people died on both sides.

Personally i think it's possible. prove me wrong. App an apropriate noble, and try it. If it's shot down from above after everything is perfect. I'll mail you a dollar.

I have to agree with kank whisperer, I have seen many large scale ideas put down by staff, with a direct statement of such things will not come to pass. You have to remember, staff will seek to preserve the game world and keep it going in the directions they deem is sensical and feasible. Currently such large scale conflicts are not slated in the best interest of the world.
Any such aggression between two super powers must be meet with the highest of ranking officials, which is not your local pc templar but the Staff run commanders. currently it is small localized plots that are what the staff desire pc instigate , or so I gather from experience.
Of coarse there are the minor goings on of the merchant houses, but they by no means are super powers, and merchant infighting is a common enough thing, but does not often draw in the military aspect of the north facing the south. Whish is what the atmosphere of the topic really relates to, in regards to having a kibosh put on things.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

lol at all the people who posted "Waiting until Arm 2 to make another PC".
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on May 16, 2012, 01:44:06 AM
lol at all the people who posted "Waiting until Arm 2 to make another PC".

Most of those posted about six years ago, when Arm 2 was supposed to be coded and fully functional within a year.

If anyone actually followed through with it and hasn't created a character in six years, chances are that they really don't even remember that an Arm 2 was in the making  ;)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

May 16, 2012, 02:48:31 AM #83 Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:53:57 AM by Kismetic
Wait, so I can't put on an Arm rendition of Cats ?  FUCK

I'm glad Arm is staying the same.  Though, I do agree with Synthesis, it was gonna be neat to tinker with some new code, explore some new stuff.  All in good time, hopefully.

edited out a derail

the known gets invaded by a new race from arm 2.0 development...

race gets repelled but has a territory carved out thats theirs.

new race gets opened to arm.

:)
Czar of City Elves.

Two words:

Fire Kanks!
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I was really looking forward to the lizard race and being a noob again.
I hate it that all the hard work was for naught or crumbs that may or not be tasted at a later date.

Other than that, meh. I do hope some of the ceilings will be raised. This game seemed much "cooler" when I first started playing, and I got spoiled by being thrown into some really awesome, huge, scary things right off the bat when I was a noob.  I miss it.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Dakota on May 16, 2012, 02:54:10 AM
the known gets invaded by a new race from arm 2.0 development...

race gets repelled but has a territory carved out thats theirs.

new race gets opened to arm.

:)

That would be so cool.

I look forward to seeing the current Zalanthas grow and evolve, in whatever way staff sees fit.

I have to admit that I was incredibly excited at the topic when I came onto the GDB today, then I had a big let down...  This was followed by an "oh well."

I guess from a non-veteran player I was excited to come into Arm 2 from the ground up as they say... you know?  I would be able to learn and be one of the oldschoolers who talk about things like "back in my day we walked uphill both ways carrying the kank instead of riding it!" type of stories you hear.

I was excited for the code possibilities too, and the system changes.  The main problem with MUD's is that the codebases were written so long ago they just don't have the advanced capability that they should have being in 2012.  I love Arm 1... well, Armageddon since there is no "2" anymore and I will NOT stop playing it...

I was just excited for the potential of starting fresh and new alongside everyone else.

That being said:  I'm fine with it.  There was just that twinge of lost potential.

:o I just peed myself a little?

Love Arm and happy to carry on as is.

Quote from: FightClub on May 15, 2012, 10:59:41 PM
I'm glad you all decided to make a lot of your base rage quit with the two year prior announcement, then decided to cancel that six years later. Good decision.

Wait, how are you not permanently banned from the GDB?  Begone, foul creature!
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Big plots are absolutely possible in the current iteration of this game. I say this as having observed some over the past few years. They did not necessarily entail more than small-scale conflict, but that conflict is tense enough and relies purely on PCs, whereas wars seem to rely on orderable NPC units with some PvP combat. Think of a way to handle conflict that isn't mindless use of the kill command and you can easily have conflict between two sides (north and south, or whatever else).

Wars start cold, then get hot.

As for the use of Arm2 related writings and materials, that is good to be able to make sure of. That means there could still be major changes to this game that we anticipated for the next, and I think I will be pleasantly surprised to see what comes next and such.

I felt a disturbance in the relationship to the Land, as though millions of catgirl voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

It's a shame that so much work may be mostly for naught, but I'm more than content with this choice. I love our game world. I'm happy that now I know I'll have the time to play every character that I wanted to. I'm hoping that now the boundaries (physical and figurative) of the world get a little more flexible to incorporate some fresh ideas, but yeah. Arm's a good game, and I'm glad I can look forward to playing in the desert for a long time to come.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

We'll probably be seeing some of this, too.

(linked, too big to directly post)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I'm pretty conflicted about this. On one hand: awesome! I love the game world. On the other.. so much curbed potential. Either way, it'll be refreshing to play without the looming axe of BIG EVIL DOOM on your neck.

Will staff-driven plots make a reemergence?

Just out of curiosity but has anyone every given much thought to fundraising to purchase an advanced code-base? Like the Rapture engine IRE uses? Pretty sure they do franchise out the codebase. It's like 10k but hey, I'd put a couple hundred bucks towards it myself.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

I trust that the new code that was worked on for Arm.2 (once it's implemented) will allow the capability for lots and lots of potential that the current code is unable to do like those mass conflicts with npc units and pcs that don't have units insta-killing any poor pc that is targetted... It's just a matter of time now...
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Quote from: Nyr on May 16, 2012, 09:21:35 AM

LOL, I just looked at the link. So true!
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

May 16, 2012, 10:15:38 AM #99 Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:17:27 AM by A Large Bag
Quote from: Nyr on May 16, 2012, 09:21:35 AM

I had thought of this too. My concern is now that changes and fixes to things in the game that have needed to be done for a long time will now be further delayed because we'll have that hanging over our heads indefinitely in place of Arm 2 hanging over our heads indefinitely. Will this also affect the extended subguilds and new CGP system's addition to the game code?