Aging.

Started by Titania, May 01, 2012, 10:38:55 PM

Is it common to lose stats for two or three consecutive bday years without gaining any wisdom at least?

If so getting old sucks more than I thought.

I'm not sure, it's possible that you got some unlucky rolls, or it might be designed that way, or you could be in a weird age stretch where you've lost stats without hitting wisdom bumps, or you could be getting bumps within the category that you're in (average, good, etc.)  The way the code handles it is left vague on purpose, so I doubt you'll get a solid answer.

You might be getting wisdom bumps, as well, just not enough the change the words it uses to describe your wisdom (good, very good, ect).
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Just as long as boobs don't sag, it shouldn't matter.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Not a clue, but staff can probably look into the matter for you if you open a request.  :)

In my experience, what you lose in physical abilities, you do not gain in wisdom.

Obviously I don't know the exact numbers, but yeah.

QuoteWisdom nearly peaks early in life and increases slowly until death.

That supports this:

Quote from: BleakOne on May 01, 2012, 10:48:08 PM
You might be getting wisdom bumps, as well, just not enough the change the words it uses to describe your wisdom (good, very good, ect).

Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Also you're getting Strength bumps you're probably not noticing.

But it will decrease after a certain age.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Tuannon on May 02, 2012, 04:47:55 AM
In my experience, what you lose in physical abilities, you do not gain in wisdom.

And the most obvious benefit of wisdom (learning quicker) isn't going to help after you've reached your skill caps or effective training limits.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

/\/\/\/\

That and you become a MILF or DILF.

QuoteIs it common to lose stats for two or three consecutive bday years without gaining any wisdom at least?

Yes.

QuoteIf so getting old sucks more than I thought.

Yes.

If you are talking about the downhill side, lets say middle age and getting older, no, you won't gain as much as you loose.  Which makes sense.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Ask Radoon Kadius about what happens to maxed warriors when their stats plummet due to age...

Ok, Radoon Kadius, what happens to maxed warriors when their stats plummet due to age.?

I just thought it was a random chance they would start going lower but it just seemed like they are doing it every birthday.
Also I thought based on the average lifespan charts it would be slower. At this rate would be decrepit by the "average lifespan" which seems a bit high across the board. Who is living LONGER than the "average lifespan"?

Aging code is fine.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 04, 2012, 12:46:46 AM
Aging code is fine.

Nobody said it wasn't, but great post.   8)

My current PC has had about 7-8 IC birthdays now but I have not noticed any stat change. Maybe mileage varies.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Titania on May 04, 2012, 12:15:12 AM
I just thought it was a random chance they would start going lower but it just seemed like they are doing it every birthday.

Confirmation bias, more than likely.

Also I thought based on the average lifespan charts it would be slower. At this rate would be decrepit by the "average lifespan" which seems a bit high across the board. Who is living LONGER than the "average lifespan"?

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

In the United States, average lifespan is like 78 years old.  Decrepit at 78, when we're talking about combat fitness, sounds about right.

...But I feel your pain.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Dammit , i work with 78 year olds that can stride up hills and heave 10 kg buckets all day.  And they don't even spar 9days a week!

sorry yes stats do go down i just can't face it yet

Quote from: Nyr on May 04, 2012, 08:40:34 AM

I can attest how irritating it got to play an aging ranger with steadily declining strength.  In a military clan, no less.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Titania on May 01, 2012, 10:38:55 PM
Is it common to lose stats for two or three consecutive bday years without gaining any wisdom at least?

If so getting old sucks more than I thought.

I've had this exact situation. Had a character where all the physical stats eventually started to degrade with every single birthday and, over the course of many birthdays, wisdom wasn't visibly increased. I submitted a couple requests for staff to look at it and was told things were functioning as they should be.

...and yes, aging sucks serious ass. Your character will whither away in front of you.

Age creates prostitues in Arm! Hooray for MudSex!
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: Titania on May 04, 2012, 12:15:12 AM
Ok, Radoon Kadius, what happens to maxed warriors when their stats plummet due to age.?

This was changed circa 2008.  There was a long standing bug where you had a super slim chance to have your stats affected by Age, which Morgenes fixed.  You can probably blame me and one other PC for eliciting this change as I helped Morgenes play test it.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

I would like to see the stats of the ancient Jihaen that wore 'horror boots.

Templar stats actually improve with age. The nobility are like wine.

QuoteOk, Radoon Kadius, what happens to maxed warriors when their stats plummet due to age.?

Way back then the aging code was a little different but having played that character to the ripe old age of 93, if I remember right... I can say for sure.. your physical stats change and get -much- lower! =)  But that didn't mean the old fart couldn't whoop some ass! heh

Nothing to see here

Go watch Assassin's Creed: Embers.

that's basically what happens to maxxed out warriors who get old