Tuluki Tattoos.

Started by Trance, April 12, 2012, 02:19:22 AM

At what age would someone born in Tuluk receive their tattoo's?

I've always wondered this myself. At least, for the star and the band. For other Tuluki tattoos, one should find out IC.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Yeah, only care about the star and band.

It'd probably be best to get your kids inked before they did anything on their own. So most Tulukis would probably get the tattoos between birth and, oh, five or so years of age.

In Zalanthas at least as far as I've seen, children are not named until at least 1 year after birth. So following this apparent IC trend, I wouldn't be getting inkings until age 2 at the earliest.

Quote from: Jeshin on April 12, 2012, 02:27:38 AM
In Zalanthas at least as far as I've seen, children are not named until at least 1 year after birth. So following this apparent IC trend, I wouldn't be getting inkings until age 2 at the earliest.
Where do you get this idea from? I've seen plenty of IC children named at birth, which would negate your anecdotal conclusion.

Quote from: Yam on April 12, 2012, 02:26:14 AM
It'd probably be best to get your kids inked before they did anything on their own. So most Tulukis would probably get the tattoos between birth and, oh, five or so years of age.
But skin stretches over time. If a child got the ink at < 5 then by the time they were 18 the tattoo would look terrible. Which is why it's an odd concept. Even at ages like 12 and such the body is still growing. Up until like... Say, age 16 or so I would say that there is going to be too much change in the body to get a tattoo that wont look horrible by the time they're an adult. (Even if they were to get it corrected.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on April 12, 2012, 03:14:16 AM
But skin stretches over time. If a child got the ink at < 5 then by the time they were 18 the tattoo would look terrible. Which is why it's an odd concept. Even at ages like 12 and such the body is still growing. Up until like... Say, age 16 or so I would say that there is going to be too much change in the body to get a tattoo that wont look horrible by the time they're an adult. (Even if they were to get it corrected.

The tattoos fade over time and need to be re-inked. There may or may not be a document talking about how fresh and bright ones tattoos are correlates to their social standing and what not but I can't remember for sure.

Quote from: Yam on April 12, 2012, 03:21:24 AM
Quote from: bcw81 on April 12, 2012, 03:14:16 AM

The tattoos fade over time and need to be re-inked. There may or may not be a document talking about how fresh and bright ones tattoos are correlates to their social standing and what not but I can't remember for sure.

I could find no mention of the fading of tattoos over time on the site, although that does sound neat.

Here's what I did find:

General Information on Tuluki Tattoos (does not answer question)
Sanvean's Answer to When Tuluki Get Citizen Tattoos
Tlaloc's Opinion on When Tuluki Get Citizen Tattoos

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

I like Tlaloc's explination best. I also agree with Sanvean that I picture it on the backs of the hands, not the palms. Unlikely Sanvean, I pictures it on BOTH hands, not just one.

Hm, I like Tlaloc's explination too.

In saying that, if a person is born in Tuluk, but leaves the city for whatever reason to live elsewhere before getting the tattoos, are they still citizens?

If they have the tattoos? Yes.

If not, then they're dirty southern witch mindbenders, and they should be treated with the utmost candleja-

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

I always imagined it being a coming of age thing like a Quinceanera or Bar Mitzvah or something mother's who could afford it did to their children like how babies get their ears pierced.  Some might wait until their children could understand, some might wait until their hands were developed so they could fight off illness if they got sick from the rudimentary tattoo process in Zalanthas.  I don't imagine parents would wait long though as they wouldn't want their children to be seen akin to half breeds without their citizen inks.  Also, who would want gossip to start about the parent's loyalties or the origins of their children if they went to long without having their children marked.

Are there any young Tuluki NPCs on the streets to look over?

Quote from: bcw81 on April 12, 2012, 02:21:29 AM
find out IC.

There are also docs on this.  As tattoos are a very large part of Tuluki culture, and are considered common knowledge, as identifying marks and brands, finding out IC is not always the best route for playing a Tuluki character as it could lead to, unrealistic, IC consequences.

http://www.armageddon.org/general/tattoos/

You can find out a lot of information there on when/how some of the tattoos are earned.  Obviously some of the more obscure ones may require learning about IC, however knowledge of tattoos, where you get them, and why, is a part of the docs, and this a part of the OOC knowledge base that is required to accurately play a Tuluki character.

As far as the star and stripes, I believe it is quite young, and have always played it as such, and seen it played as such.  Someone mentioned the age of 2?  And I'd say that sounds about right.  Long enough to know the kid isn't going to just up and die after you spend a, relatively, large amount of coins getting him inked.  However, after reading Tlaloc's post I might rethink that for my next Tuluki character.

Kinda like a circumcision.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

People have made a good point about the distortion a growing body would cause.  I'd think though that kids could get a tiny version of the tattoos when really young and that those could be covered or touched up as they reach a certain age and it starts looking like crap.

Quote from: SpyGuy on May 23, 2012, 12:33:25 AM
People have made a good point about the distortion a growing body would cause.  I'd think though that kids could get a tiny version of the tattoos when really young and that those could be covered or touched up as they reach a certain age and it starts looking like crap.

Ohh, that's a really good thought. I'm glad this subject was brought up; it hadn't even crossed my mind.

Sorry for bumping this but I had a few more questions about the tattoos, citizenship and views.

We've established tattoos are not an automatic thing, parents probably wait awhile. I've also heard that you have to pay for your tattoos. Yet, beggers and poor NPCs appear to have tattoos which either means the tattoos aren't costly or the rumor of tattoos having a cost is rubbish.

So my questions.
Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/general/tattoos/"All Tuluki citizens bear a tattoo of a blue and purple inked band somewhere on their head, face, neck, or upper shoulders, signifying their origin in Gol Krathu. Beyond that, each bears a caste-specific tattoo."

Is a person who was born within Gol Krathu but not within Tuluk a Tuluki citizen (and also have the hand tattoos?) Or can you have a person just with the blue and purple band? Are the blue and purple band a Tuluki Citizen Only thing?

Is someone with just a band (if they can exist) treated differently than someone with both band and hand tattoos in Tuluk?

Finally, what is the actual view of non-inked tribals and outsiders in Tuluk. Are they viewed as sub-human beings that a Tuluki shouldn't be fraternizing with? Or are there exceptions? I've had a couple IC encounters where I was lead to believe that Inked Citizens of Tuluk debase themselves when they fraternize with uninked.

Quote from: Karieith on June 14, 2012, 11:46:08 PM
Sorry for bumping this but I had a few more questions about the tattoos, citizenship and views.

We've established tattoos are not an automatic thing, parents probably wait awhile. I've also heard that you have to pay for your tattoos. Yet, beggers and poor NPCs appear to have tattoos which either means the tattoos aren't costly or the rumor of tattoos having a cost is rubbish.

So my questions.
Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/general/tattoos/"All Tuluki citizens bear a tattoo of a blue and purple inked band somewhere on their head, face, neck, or upper shoulders, signifying their origin in Gol Krathu. Beyond that, each bears a caste-specific tattoo."

Is a person who was born within Gol Krathu but not within Tuluk a Tuluki citizen (and also have the hand tattoos?) Or can you have a person just with the blue and purple band? Are the blue and purple band a Tuluki Citizen Only thing?

Is someone with just a band (if they can exist) treated differently than someone with both band and hand tattoos in Tuluk?

Finally, what is the actual view of non-inked tribals and outsiders in Tuluk. Are they viewed as sub-human beings that a Tuluki shouldn't be fraternizing with? Or are there exceptions? I've had a couple IC encounters where I was lead to believe that Inked Citizens of Tuluk debase themselves when they fraternize with uninked.

Yes, I believe that some tribals get the Gol Krathu inks but not the star.  And they would be treated as non-citizens, however, they would likely be tolerated far better than someone without either.

Someone may correct me, but I believe that's how it is.

Quote from: Karieith on June 14, 2012, 11:46:08 PMIs a person who was born within Gol Krathu but not within Tuluk a Tuluki citizen (and also have the hand tattoos?) Or can you have a person just with the blue and purple band? Are the blue and purple band a Tuluki Citizen Only thing?

If a person is born within Gol Krathu but not in Tuluk itself, then they are not a Tuluki citizen (unless there's some sort of extenuating circumstances, or whatever). As Maxid says, there are tribes in Gol Krathu, and they would not be considered citzens without a star tattoo. I do not know if they get a neckband or not; it probably varies.

If you look into it a little more, this thread would seem to suggest that the purpose of a neckband is to distinguish between Tuluki citizens who were born in Tuluk, and Tuluki citizens who later earned their citizenship, but were born outside of the city.

QuoteIs someone with just a band (if they can exist) treated differently than someone with both band and hand tattoos in Tuluk?

Yes, they would be treated as a non-citizen. If such an individual existed, it would be clear at least that they were native to the area, but not a citizen. This would likely mean better treatment then other foreigners, but that they would still be treated as an outsider, and not hired on by any of the groups who only hire citizens.

QuoteFinally, what is the actual view of non-inked tribals and outsiders in Tuluk. Are they viewed as sub-human beings that a Tuluki shouldn't be fraternizing with? Or are there exceptions? I've had a couple IC encounters where I was lead to believe that Inked Citizens of Tuluk debase themselves when they fraternize with uninked.

This question is actually not really on the tattoo subject anymore, and might be worthy of its own thread. That said, I will try to answer it for you.

Quote from: Tuluki Roleplay documentation[link]

Associating with the 'wrong crowd' (which, in Tuluk, includes magickers and southerners) can also cause a negative impact.

There's various interpretations for what the "wrong crowd" is, which is part of the reason why this question may deserve its own thread. Also, there are different levels of association. It may be that it's okay to be friends with a tribal, but maybe kanking them wild is looked down upon. The highest, most well-thought of PC would likely only have intimate relationships with other Tuluki. The actual rules of association and conduct I would imagine varies PC to PC.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

I figured I'd chime in on this discussion.

The Gol Krathu is the region bounded by the Scaien Walls.

As per (the outdated) description of it:

http://www.armageddon.org/help/show.php/gol%20krathu

The tribes of the Gol Krathu live within Tuluk.   There are many tribes within Tuluk.

If you are born within the Gol Krathu that means you were born within the Domain of the Sun King.  That means, in essence, that you are subject of the Sun King.  This could be considered to be Citizenship.  I would suspect that any Templar would definitely consider someone born within the Gol Krathu to be subject of all aspects of Tuluki law and taxation.

To quote explicitly from the tattoo documentation:

Quote from: The Origins of Tuluki Caste Tattoos
All Tuluki citizens bear a tattoo of a blue and purple inked band somewhere on their head, face, neck, or upper shoulders, signifying their origin in Gol Krathu. Beyond that, each bears a caste-specific tattoo.
So if you are marked with the blue and purple you are a citizen.  Bolded to make this very clear.  Unless something has changed and there is a documentation update required this is how it was planned and is. 

As to the when someone gets this tattoo I am in total agreement with Tlaloc (especially he's one of the prime architects of the modern Tuluki culture.)

The tattoo of the six-pronged star is relevant only to unaffiliated commoners.  It does not denote citizenship as such instead if says, "I am a free agent."

The tattoos of Tuluk can be treated like the story of someone living there.  They are a visual historical narrative of someone's life.    But, this isn't what everyone in Tuluk does. 

As an example,

Let's say you are a tribal and were born within the Gol Krathu.  You would get the blue and purple.

Chances are, since you are a tribal of Tuluk, you'd get a tribal specific tattoo as well.  Let's say it's an bahamet shell for fun.

So, this character starts off life with:  Blue and purple around the neck.  Bahamet shell on hands.

This person goes and gets hired by Kadius.  They put the Kadian purple ring tattoo on their left wrist.  After some time, this person also becomes an assassin.

They put the assassin mark on their right wrist.  A few years later, the person leaves Kadius and Salarr brings them on.  The person gets the grey ring tattoo on their forearms (some people might want to try and wipe out their Kadian tattoo instead, it's up to the individual, I would suggest it's a matter of memories the person has of that chapter of their life.)

After a few years, the person leaves Salarr and goes it alone as the majority of Tuluki artisans live.  (I'm throwing that in on purpose - the majority of Tuluki artisans have patrons are are not -hired- by any House).  This person gains the patronage of House Kassigarh.  Now they get the gold and white circle. 

At a glance, someone could look at this person, and read their history. 

There isn't a 'proper' order in how to layer the tattoos.  I've always done the start with the hands and work up the body with the most recent tattoo being higher up on the body but that's me.

As added thought to the question posed about how to deal with the un-inked.

Tulukis prefer Tulukis to anyone.

How each individual views tribals is a matter for that individual.  A lot of Tuluk's population is either tribal or heavily influenced by tribes.   But, which tribes are preferred?  That's up to the individual.  I've played with a rule of thumb that the closer the tribe's origins are to Tuluk the more they'd understand Tuluk and, through understanding, make interacting with them easier.

But, I haven't seen how Tuluk's society and culture has evolved since I was involved with the Noble Houses.  It's been a long while and lots can, and probably has, changed.  Culture in Armageddon has fluidity and will change over time. 

You only get the House tattoos if you're lifesworn to a House. That's been my experience, at least.

The most common in-game usage of Gol Krathu, whether it's correct or not, is to refer to Muk's entire domain, including the Grasslands, scrub, and Grey Forest, not just the bit within the Scaien Wall.

Quote from: Delusion on June 23, 2012, 12:04:27 PM
You only get the House tattoos if you're lifesworn to a House. That's been my experience, at least.

The most common in-game usage of Gol Krathu, whether it's correct or not, is to refer to Muk's entire domain, including the Grasslands, scrub, and Grey Forest, not just the bit within the Scaien Wall.

Hm. Plenty of non-lifesworn I've run into in game have had the ring tattoos - mostly because they're free from some NPCs, I believe, and hey, it shows affiliation as well as any piece of equipment or attire would.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

It's basically a choice to have that tattoo.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

As I wrote, things change over time.  What was originally intended isn't always what happens. :)  If that's how the Houses are currently operating and that's how the staff want it then that's how it is  ;)   But, how it was originally intended was that if you were affiliated with a House then that House would ink you. 

When references to the Gol Krathu occur in the documentation then that is what it refers to so people with the purple and blue are Citizens.

How players use it in the game is a matter of change as well.  

Quote from: boog on June 23, 2012, 12:09:14 PM

Hm. Plenty of non-lifesworn I've run into in game have had the ring tattoos - mostly because they're free from some NPCs, I believe, and hey, it shows affiliation as well as any piece of equipment or attire would.
This might be people just getting them without checking? The way the tattooist NPCs are set up and where they are placed means a person could, at any moment, go get tattoos for every bardic circle on a whim, then break into some restricted location or another and get more to say that they are a slave, pop a six-pronged star on their feet, say that they're GMH family, and probably indicate that they are some sort of ranked soldier and war hero, too.  :P

Not saying that people with the ring tattoos doesn't mean that the tattoos aren't given before a person is lifesworn, just that it was my own experience that the life oath was necessary.

Actually, you can't get the bardic circle tattoos 'on a whim' any longer.

Quote from: Delirium on June 23, 2012, 12:23:48 PM
Actually, you can't get the bardic circle tattoos 'on a whim' any longer.

In my newbie days I got one, because I thought it was pretty X)
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

June 27, 2012, 02:20:37 AM #28 Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:27:20 AM by Dalmeth

You're taking it a little too literally.  The docs specifically refer to all the tribes that culturally identified themselves as living within Gol Krathu at the time they were conquered by Muk Utep.

While some tribes may pass through Gol Krathu, none of them live there as they would then be assimilated or destroyed by Tuluk.  You can essentially think of the term "Gol Krathu" evolving over time with the increased influence of the Tuluki citystate.

These days, the distinction between the band and star tattoos is only to mark the rare occasion of a citizen who was not born in the city.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

If a person has the band because they are a Tuluki citizen, but does not have the hand tattoo because they are tribal does this mean they cannot be employed by a Noble House or work as an Aide to the Faithful?

The Band designates citizenship, the hand tattoo designates caste? (This is a question!)

Tuluk is hard guys!  ???

Surif Houses employee only true-inked citizens. The neckband is a citizens ink. This means you are a true-inked citizen and employable.

The caste tattoo is specifically for -caste- Tuluk has two common caste markers. Six pronged and seven pronged stars to denote commoner or nobility. As a fun fact, though this may have changed, bardic inkings count as a caste marker... This means Amos Konviwedu could have the neckband and his bardic ink on his hands in lieu of a six pronged star. This would help explain why citizen tribals might not have six pronged stars.

Tuluki Caste Tattoo Room [D]

The NPC in this room allows you to set up your character with appropriate
Tuluk caste tattoos. People born in Tuluk to Tuluki citizens are usually
citizens, and all Tuluki citizens are marked with these tattoos. Skip this
step if your character was NOT born a Tuluki citizen. When you've finished,
you can go 'down' to enter the game.

NOTE: Once you leave, the ONLY way to get caste tattoos is to get them in-
game from a Templar. If your PC was always a Tuluki citizen, and should
have the appropriate tattoos, get them now. 

Available tattoos:

1 - a tattoo of a six-pronged star
   Worn on the hands, this signifies unaffiliated commoner status. All
   Tuluki citizens wear this tattoo. Example: "buy 1 hands"

2 - a blue and purple inked band
   Worn on the neck, face or head, signifies residence in Gol Krathu.
   If you are from anywhere in the Northlands (except Luir's Outpost),
   you would wear this tattoo. Example: type "buy 2 neck"

Note that these tattoos ONLY go in these places, and you only need ONE
of each tattoo.  Tattoos are very important in Tuluki culture. For more
details, please see:  http://www.armageddon.org/general/tattoos/

A dwarf stands here, waiting to help you add tattoos to your character.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on June 27, 2012, 08:49:34 AM
Tuluki Caste Tattoo Room [D]

The NPC in this room allows you to set up your character with appropriate
Tuluk caste tattoos. People born in Tuluk to Tuluki citizens are usually
citizens, and all Tuluki citizens are marked with these tattoos. Skip this
step if your character was NOT born a Tuluki citizen. When you've finished,
you can go 'down' to enter the game.

NOTE: Once you leave, the ONLY way to get caste tattoos is to get them in-
game from a Templar. If your PC was always a Tuluki citizen, and should
have the appropriate tattoos, get them now. 

Available tattoos:

1 - a tattoo of a six-pronged star
   Worn on the hands, this signifies unaffiliated commoner status. All
   Tuluki citizens wear this tattoo. Example: "buy 1 hands"

2 - a blue and purple inked band
   Worn on the neck, face or head, signifies residence in Gol Krathu.
   If you are from anywhere in the Northlands (except Luir's Outpost),
   you would wear this tattoo. Example: type "buy 2 neck"

Note that these tattoos ONLY go in these places, and you only need ONE
of each tattoo.  Tattoos are very important in Tuluki culture. For more
details, please see:  http://www.armageddon.org/general/tattoos/

A dwarf stands here, waiting to help you add tattoos to your character.

So in other owrds, the face ink is not a citizenship in, and nobility can't hire anyone without the hand inks.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

June 27, 2012, 11:47:07 AM #33 Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:59:55 AM by Schrodingers Cat
Quote from: Jeshin on June 27, 2012, 03:42:13 AM
The caste tattoo is specifically for -caste- Tuluk has two common caste markers. Six pronged and seven pronged stars to denote commoner or nobility. As a fun fact, though this may have changed, bardic inkings count as a caste marker... This means Amos Konviwedu could have the neckband and his bardic ink on his hands in lieu of a six pronged star. This would help explain why citizen tribals might not have six pronged stars.

Not that it matters much but there's also the hexagon caste tattoo used for slaves.  Sure PCs aren't going to be playing slaves any time soon, but they may encounter slave NPCs and should be able to recognize them.

The way I understand is that every adult citizen born in Tuluk has at least two tattoos (if not more). These are the purple and blue band and either star on the hands (six or seven pronged) or a hexagon (instead of a star) on their hands or somewhere else (usually not easily covered) on their body.

In Tuluk the tattoos are a map of someone's life.  If one were to strip a Tuluki citizen down and examine their inks one could get a pretty clear idea of who are, what they do, and where they've been (similar to Russian mafia tattoos, if you're not familiar with this watch the movie Eastern Promises, great flick).  The tattoos are supposed to tell a story.  Unless they were trying to hide something, I doubt a Tuluki citizen would ever ink over old tattoos but instead get new tattoos in other locations (if possible, and I say this because it is possible to run out of wear locations for new tattoos).

I'm not certain about the bardic tattoo thing but it doesn't seem to make sense that bards would be different.  If they're commoners, they'd wear a commoner tattoo to distinguish them from nobles and slaves.  I don't believe bards are their own caste.  Someone (staff?) please correct me here but aren't bardic tattoos the same as other affiliation tattoos?  Like working for Tenneshi, Kadius, T'zai Byn, etc?  Just to illustrate my point, if a slave were to be a member of a bardic circle, how would they wear their tattoos?

Yeah, bards aren't a separate caste.

I understand this stuff is confusing and can be made less confusing.  We'll get to that eventually but right now the documentation focus is on clan documentation revamps.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Also, if someone was granted citizenship later in life (which is very rare), they would only get a caste tattoo (six-pronged star most likely) on their hands but not the blue/purple band since it denotes the person originating from the Gol Krathu.

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on June 27, 2012, 11:47:07 AM
I'm not certain about the bardic tattoo thing but it doesn't seem to make sense that bards would be different.  If they're commoners, they'd wear a commoner tattoo to distinguish them from nobles and slaves.  I don't believe bards are their own caste.  Someone (staff?) please correct me here but aren't bardic tattoos the same as other affiliation tattoos?  Like working for Tenneshi, Kadius, T'zai Byn, etc?  Just to illustrate my point, if a slave were to be a member of a bardic circle, how would they wear their tattoos?

Bards wear caste tattoos (commoner or slave) on their hands like everyone else, and they usually wear their Circle affiliation tattoo somewhere visible.

June 28, 2012, 08:41:39 PM #37 Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:49:15 PM by Karieith
Quote from: palomar on June 28, 2012, 07:59:32 AM
Also, if someone was granted citizenship later in life (which is very rare), they would only get a caste tattoo (six-pronged star most likely) on their hands but not the blue/purple band since it denotes the person originating from the Gol Krathu.

This adds a really odd situation, because the guards at the arena only let in people who have the purple band...

Are you sure it's the hand inks that denote citizenship? I know that's what the docs say, and I too love the Docs but the Arena Guards say differently.

Edit: What I'm trying to figure out here is the distinction. What I'm getting is that the purple band designates you as having been born in Gol Krathu while the Hand Star designates that you are a Tuluki citizen.

IE: What is the POINT of the Blue and Purple band?

Only Tuluki Citizens (Hand) will get the purple band and only because they were born in Gol Krathu as a mark of pride. That Tribals born in Gol Krathu would not get the purple band even though they were born in Gol Krathu unless they were also Tuluki citizens (which they should be! Since everyone born in Gol Krathu is automatically a Citizen of Tuluk, right? I don't understand how Citizenship works but LOL ANCHOR BABIES if so.)

You will NOT see a Tuluki with just the band, but you WOULD see a Tuluki with just the star (rarely) these are the Tulukis who earned their citizenship.

That is what I'm getting from this thread, is that the correct assumption? I'm sorry, this is very confusing.

The band shows you were born in Gol Krathu.

The hand thing is a caste designation. What -kind- of Gol-Krathu-ie are you?

So - neckband + 6-ponted star = normal citizen.
Neckband + 7-pointed star = noble
Neckband + hexagon = slave-who-was-actually-born-in-the-north-and-not-merely-captured-from-elsewhere

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

June 29, 2012, 01:19:21 AM #39 Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:21:08 AM by marko
Quote from: Karieith on June 28, 2012, 08:41:39 PM
That is what I'm getting from this thread, is that the correct assumption? I'm sorry, this is very confusing.
Go what Nyr posted in the thread since they are the final authority on the matter.

IE,

If you are citizen of Tuluk and born in Tuluk you have the purple band AND a caste marking - six prong star.
If you are citizen of Tuluk and were not born in Tuluk you have the commoner caste marking - six prong star.

If you are slave of Tuluk and born in Tuluk / North you have the purple band and the slave marking - hexagon.
If you are slave of Tuluk and were not born in Tuluk you have the slave caste marking - hexagon.

If you were born in the North and you were respecting northern culture you got the purple band.  
Note: In this case you are not considered a proper Citizen until the caste tattoo is applied (six pronged star).  As such, some clans may have restrictions about hiring non-Citizens.

An example, if you start out being born in Tuluk to a bard circle then you would have:

Purple band on neck / face / head
Six-pronged tattoo on hands
Circle tattoo on prominent location

If you were a normal Tuluk citizen, you'd start with purple band on neck or face or head and six-pronged tattoo on hands.
If you were to join a House and that House marks their people with tattoos then you would get that tattoo added somewhere - probably in a prominent location.
If you became a thief - you'd add the thief's tattoo.  
If you became an assassin - you'd add the assassin's tattoo.

If you accomplished something special to your character and you like the ideas of tattoos telling stories then you'd add that tattoo as well.  :)

Don't try to overthink it.  Nyr was very clear.  

Quote from: Karieith on June 28, 2012, 08:41:39 PM
Edit: What I'm trying to figure out here is the distinction. What I'm getting is that the purple band designates you as having been born in Gol Krathu while the Hand Star designates that you are a Tuluki citizen.

The arena guard should probably check for either/or hand/neck tattoos.  But who knows, there might be a reason behind this.  Maybe he's just prejudiced.

If you are confused about Tuluki caste tattoos, especially some specific element that you feel is directly relevant to your character IC, it's a good idea to contact the staff. A lot of this stuff is unclear and its implementation in the game is inconsistent. About a year and a half ago, a major clan I was in did not have Tuluki employment tattoos even though the specific tattoo they should receive is documented on the website and would be important for any Northerner to have. But the staff was happy to have the tattoo added to a vendor in the clan compound after I raised the issue.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on June 29, 2012, 04:14:11 AM
If you are confused about Tuluki caste tattoos, especially some specific element that you feel is directly relevant to your character IC, it's a good idea to contact the staff. A lot of this stuff is unclear and its implementation in the game is inconsistent. About a year and a half ago, a major clan I was in did not have Tuluki employment tattoos even though the specific tattoo they should receive is documented on the website and would be important for any Northerner to have. But the staff was happy to have the tattoo added to a vendor in the clan compound after I raised the issue.

We are aiming to rectify the confusion currently, with our massive clan doc revamp. Hold on to your butts, boys!
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff