Did that thing just grow back?!

Started by EvilRoeSlade, August 10, 2003, 05:36:01 PM

Lets take a heh, hypothetical situation.  Suppose I had some unworthy weakling at my mercy, and I RP torturing them.  Suppose also this torture involves permanently mutilating them.  Perhaps cutting off an eye, a finger, or another extremity.  Perhaps tying them down on a hot day and letting the sun cook their flesh.  I OOCed for consent and got OOC silence, which concedes consent.  They RPed along with the scene and didn't seem to have a problem with it.  But after you let them go, a few weeks go by and... nothing.  Considering how prompt my character requests have always been dealt with, I would think that enough time has passed for them to have arranged for their description change.  I haven't interacted with this person a WHOLE lot since then, but from what I can see, this person isn't even emoting the change to their appearance so that others might realize it.

What should I do?  Its been perhaps a RL week.  Give them more time?  E-mail the account?
Back from a long retirement

Let the account deal with it. It's not your problem.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Is this a description issue or a role-play issue?

I know sometimes it takes a long time for people to get changes made to their sdesc, esp. if a house Imm can't do it for them.

If it is a role-play issue you can always email the account and perhaps someone could observe the character... dropping a mudmail if there is a problem.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

It might be someone new enough that they don't realize that they CAN get their desc changed.

Or, there are some people who will receive a severe beating and not even RP a bruise.

Or, are you sure they weren't linkdead or anything?  I would be puzzled by the lack of response to an OOC.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Like Crymerci said, they might be new enough that they don't realize they can get the desc changed.

Or they could be copping out.

Either way, I'd just send an email to the mud account with your concerns.

To give more clarification on the issue.

No, they weren't LD.  They RPed along with what was happening.

Maybe I'm just too mistrusting, or perhaps I don't have any real idea how long this takes.  I'd hesitate to call it an RP issue, because I haven't RPed with them extensively enough that I could safely say I have an issue.  So yeah, its a description issue.
Back from a long retirement

Personally, in a case where torture and such of another pc, I'd be sending in a log of the event anyway, just to keep the staff aware and informed. In scenarios where consent is needed, it's particularly important for your own protection that you keep these logs (and send them on) in case the other person gets ooc'ly mad and starts complaining you acted inappropriately.

If I was aware that I had an immortal witness to the event, I may not send the log on, as it's slightly redundant, but would keep it in case asked for it.

At any rate, this would also deal with any lack of rp or request for description change on the part of the other player as well.

This way, you can truly be sure that the account is aware of a problem (and thus can "Let the account deal with it").
quote="Lirs"]Sometimes I wonder why I do it.. when reading the GDB feels like death.[/quote]

Generally, I would e-mail the account whenever you permanently disfigure a character.  The most obvious solution if their description has not changed would be to e-mail the account.

Well, one thing to do is this: ask how noticeable is the disfigurement? Did you just cut off the finger? If one of my character's had their fingers taken off, I wouldn't go and change my desc (unless it said specifically they had five fingers in each hand). I'd probably just keep my hands in my pockets a lot or not mention it. If you take out someone's eye, they might just wear an eyepatch and forget all about their desc. There's a variety of reasons here.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I've had a character who's hand was cut off.  Either I or the torturer or both wished up to have it taken care off.  A nice little blurb was added to the end of my main desc and my secondary hand was removed.

intersting note: I later had to wish up and have my secondary hand returned and my primary one removed because there are so many things that you can't hold in your "primary" hand.

~Drunken Salarr
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Getting tortured is not any easy thing for some people.

I have played for almost a year (and this was the first time this happened).  Not too long ago, my PC was arrested by a templar and brought into a cell area.  He was subjected to questioning and some torture.  Well, it was the first time this happened to me.  I wasn't doing anything wrong and suddenly I was in a situation I thought I was going to die.  Needless to say I was quite flustered and I'm sure my emoting was horrible (I would normally consider myself a decent emoter).  I stuck to my character and therefore my roleplay was good but man, I just couldn't do the emoting thing at all.  I froze up.  Also, without getting IC, the torture was difficult for me to figure out,  I mean, I think I know what was being done but it took a while for me to figure out.  I have this going on, I'm trying to stay IC, roleplaying how my character would react, remembering how my race would react and I'm thinking "Am I going to die over this stupid thing? This character is almost at the ten day mark.  What can I say, while staying true to my character that will get him out of this situation?"  So, to the templar I'm sure I seemed pretty dry with regard to emoting.  Next time I'll know better.