Random Magickers

Started by hammie2, August 09, 2003, 02:31:05 PM

You can always make your own "random" spellcaster.  Select one of the mage options and pick a profession for your character, preferably something that doesn't require a lot of hard-code such as a painter or musician.  Play that character out, join a clan, forget that you even selected an elementalist for your coded guild.  Then, several IC years later, when you've OOCly waited for the most suitable catastrophic incident to occur, manifest.  You don't have to become a disciple whose life is bent on studying their spellcraft just because that is your guild.  You don't have to branch skills even.  Pick a spell or two that you've decided to be your "gift", and let that be enough.  Then go on living as what you are and what you've become.  Voila.  The only differen between this and the original proposed idea is that you don't have the opportunity to have a complete non-magick guild set along with the addition of a spell or two.

Quote from: "hammie2"I started this thread for one real reason.  You see every character using the way.  Personally I don't care for the skill since as far as I am concerned, it is very unrealistic for everyone to have psionic powers.
Perhaps your intent should have been voiced at the beginning...

Also, perhaps you didn't know but Armageddon was based off of Dark Sun for AD&D 2nd Ed...in which everyone has psionic powers.  The only difference being that on Armageddon, everyone has limited telepathy...in Dark Sun, you had the possible chance of teleportation or maybe the ability to disintegrate people with but a thought.  Now, which do you think would lend itself to possible abuse?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Read them all,  cover to cover a few times.

Yeah... Didn't see the slightest mention of psionics in hammie2's posts... Only the thing about characters having random magick skills...

As for the proposed idea... I think it could be cool, but not completely random... Also... If someone doesn't want to play a magicker, an imm shouldn't probably force it on them, so how could it be random? Maybe an option in the account menu someplace? I don't know. I'm sure there are more things like this that could fit in there, giving staff members permission to do this or that. But I could see that going awry as well...

SHRUG... Don't see it working.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Going back to the original topic, something about people randomly becoming magickers, I don't see what the problem with this would be, really, if done a certain way.

Every 1 out of 100 characters made has latent magickal powers.  After 10 days of playtime, a check is run on the account to see if it has sufficient karma.  If it does the latent magickal powers kick in at some random time after that.

This way you don't have people rerolling their characters until they get a magick spell and you also don't have people without the karma to play a magicker running around with a magicker with buff ass warrior skills.

I think the real problem, however, is whether or not it would be worth it to code this.  And considering the chances of that 1 in 100th character making it to 10 days *and* having the karma are slim, maybe only one or two people a year would get the benifit of this code, if that.

So, I guess I see ways it could be done to mitigate concerns, but in the process of doing so it would make the coding effort futile in my mind.