Do you (or your PC) want to live forever?

Started by Doing Well, August 07, 2003, 10:44:41 AM

I have had characters in the past that were always cheating death.  That eventually catches up to you as they can attest.  Current one is kicking booty at the ten day mark.  He's involved in plots, fights regularly and is an adventurer in his own regard.  The thing is, his routine although dangerous by some standards, should allow him to live indefinitely.  Sure, he's a good fighter, that helps.  But his "career", although exciting, keeps him out of situations that he cannot escape from.  Sure there was that run-in with the templar but other than that, he's not come close to death like so many of my past characters.  

The point is, I can see this guy living for a long time.

Who wants...
to live...
forever?

Uh, yeah.  Hmm.  So, that explains something about the Sorceror-Kings.  They're two immortals, locked in an eternal struggle because as we all know, there can be only one!
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

No one's life or routine stays the same indefinitely.

Cheer up.  Death awaits eventually.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I think a sorcerer is really the class best suited for that. Hell, -any- char can do it (epsecially perhaps a magicker) but...see, to go to any length to try to increase your power, to reap and rend to extend your own life?
Veteran Newbie

The years will eventually add up and you'll die of old age. In theory of course...
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I don't want to live forever, I have too many other good character ideas.  :D

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"I don't want to live forever, I have too many other good character ideas.  :D
Exactly the same here.

Long-lived characters can become PC leaders or stabalizing elements in plots.  They are useful to help make the city states seem 'the same' even while they change and provide continuity to the over all plot line.

Playing a long-lived character can be one way to give something back to the game.   If everyone died after 10 days, there wouldn't be any long term plots and storylines.

Don't knock living forever.  First off, you won't.  A plot is going to eat you, I can almost promise this.  That goes ten times if you are in a clan.  My longest lived character by all accounts should have lived on forever.  However, events even he could not possibly see eventually ate him up in the end.  Second, living forever gives makes you an anchor to the world and a magnet for plots and interaction.  A guy who can manage to keep himself from getting offed is a valuable resource to anyone in the game.  20+ day characters are sought after like gold.  The world is your oyster.  I don't care what you are.  After 20+ days, you are good at what you do.  Magikers are terrifying, warriors are walking fortresses, and your sneaky classes are more valuable then steel.

Can Someone actually die of old age?
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: "sarahjc"Can Someone actually die of old age?

No, you can't be walking along and all of a sudden drop dead and see the mantis head.  That said, people have died of old age in the past.  Generally they were long lived character that were getting very old, and so had an imm kill them.  Perhaps if someone lived to be extremely old the imms might pull said character aside and talking about perhaps planning a death, but you in general do not need to worry about suddenly dropping dead.

I think a cool way to do old age death, would be to have a vigilant imm just reach in a force some emotes (like a disease) and then slowly insert a poison into the character (probally a very slow acting...but visible poison...special like)
Veteran Newbie

I think it'd be amusing to have a character, whose only goal in life is to die in a blaze of glory, miraculously survive the most treacherous, dangerous, and horrifying events of a lifetime, and reluctantly die of old age.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]