Ideas on Banking

Started by Desertman, January 18, 2012, 11:51:10 AM

I'm sure that, in general, mindbenders aren't much of a problem for Nenyuk.  So yes, it's silly to argue about particular precautions they may or may not have to take.

In general, scribes using the Way to send account information over long distances is probably reliable enough that it offsets the dangers of transporting vouchers or actual coins through the desert.

This might suck for your misguided raider concept, but it's worked for as long as I've played the game.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Of course its worked because thats the way its coded. It isnt broken, we are just brainstorming ways to improve on it. As far as less dangerous, for who nenyuk? It provides no danger to them whatsoever. It actually protects them more by having more security like I have allready stated. They dont magically lose money unless you turn in the voucher in which case they are just completing the transaction.
Love's the only war worth dying for.
Build me up to knock me down, I'm all yours.

I'm pretty sure the Nenyuk banking process has pretty detailed documentation. You can probably find out about it IC with enough effort but I'm not sure. There've been Nenyuk PCs in the recent past and may or may not be in the future.

Banking is their business so they have good reason to keep it secret, secure, and easy.

Most of the stuff in this threads doesn't seem any different to me than people discussing ideas on Allanak's water selling/distribution policies. The game interface is a simplification of what occurs, but it's the only part your character is likely to ever see.

Desertman brings up some interesting questions but they're the type that should be sought IC. Not speculated about on the GDB.

While the comparison to the water selling system seems ok, I'd embrace this idea of making money harder to transport. It's a non issue right now, but if it became more popular it might give rise to raiding, which I'd love to see.

Quote from: Yam on January 19, 2012, 08:45:49 PM
I'm pretty sure the Nenyuk banking process has pretty detailed documentation. You can probably find out about it IC with enough effort but I'm not sure. There've been Nenyuk PCs in the recent past and may or may not be in the future.

Banking is their business so they have good reason to keep it secret, secure, and easy.

Most of the stuff in this threads doesn't seem any different to me than people discussing ideas on Allanak's water selling/distribution policies. The game interface is a simplification of what occurs, but it's the only part your character is likely to ever see.

Desertman brings up some interesting questions but they're the type that should be sought IC. Not speculated about on the GDB.

Ya all the banks in real life have things they do for a reason and it has worked forever. But when someone comes up with a new idea that doesnt mean they just ignore it. Otherwise we wouldnt have had all the fraud and bailouts and all that crap.

Quote from: gfair on January 19, 2012, 08:59:02 PM
While the comparison to the water selling system seems ok, I'd embrace this idea of making money harder to transport. It's a non issue right now, but if it became more popular it might give rise to raiding, which I'd love to see.

There used to be a clan of raiders.  People bitched about it constantly.  They went bye-bye.

There used to be two clans of desert-elves that liked to raid.  People bitched about it constantly.  They went bye-bye.

Raiding is one of those things that seems like a good idea in theory, but it has rarely worked in a manner that actually contributed to people's enjoyment of the game...mainly because people don't really like having their shit taken, after all.

Special note : real banks not only hold your money for free, but they pay you INTEREST as well.  Crazy SOB's, right?
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on January 19, 2012, 09:58:45 PM
Special note : real banks not only hold your money for free, but they pay you INTEREST as well.  Crazy SOB's, right?

Well, that's because the threat of highwaymen, burglary, and pickpocketing has been markedly reduced in the modern era, so they have to offer -some- kind of service to entice you to put your money into a modern bank.

I imagine most people would actually pay Nenyuk to hold their coins, if the only alternative was to leave them in a chest behind a trivial lock, or haul them around in a backpack.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 19, 2012, 09:11:05 PM
There used to be a clan of raiders.  People bitched about it constantly.  They went bye-bye.

There used to be two clans of desert-elves that liked to raid.  People bitched about it constantly.  They went bye-bye.

Raiding is one of those things that seems like a good idea in theory, but it has rarely worked in a manner that actually contributed to people's enjoyment of the game...mainly because people don't really like having their shit taken, after all.

Having been involved in the destruction IC'ly of a bit of each of these...

They weren't destroyed because people "bitched" about them.

They were destroyed simply because this is a fantasy game, people -usually- like to play good guys and heros, and these were readily available villians for them to fulfill that desire upon.

People like to take down bad guys, so they took down these bad guys, and it was fun, hopefully for everyone.

The reason villians exist is so the good guys will have someone to fight, usually, and eventually one side has to win.

When I make villian pc's, I make them with the full intention of having them taken down by the good guys "one day" because I know that is what is going to happen most likely, eventually. I just try to make the villian as fun to track/fight/pursue/kill as I can until the good guys finally get me.

All of that being said, let's open back up Nenyuk so I can change the banking system IC.  :P
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I think these banking ideas would make more sense if not in the context of an overarching single-house-run banking system monopoly.  As much as I love the idea of having to haul my coins on mount-back across the desert.

Yes.  I am pulling the Reborn card.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on January 20, 2012, 10:37:26 AM

Yes.  I am pulling the Reborn card.

Its super effective!!!

(Seriously, you are right, probably a better idea for something in Reborn.)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

What if those dirty commie Tulukis were to nationalize the northern branch of Nenyuk?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 20, 2012, 11:27:46 AM
What if those dirty commie Tulukis were to nationalize the northern branch of Nenyuk?

Would they use wooden coins?  They'd be super valuable in the south!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Especially for Armageddon 1.0. I, and a few other people, keep saying this.

I would rather Coders focus their efforts on Armageddon 2.0 unless it is a bug. There is a trend recently of threads popping up with ideas for code changes that are not only pretty insignificant, but wouldn't benefit the game world outside of further realism. Playability > Realism in both the Stable Fees, and this Banking thread. End of story.

In 2.0, I hope:
-There are multiple currencies
-A bank could be robbed
-A bank could be extorted

But -- The 2.0 suggestion thread is closed, and I wouldn't suggest those ideas for 1.0.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

Quote from: Down Under on January 20, 2012, 01:16:21 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Especially for Armageddon 1.0. I, and a few other people, keep saying this.

I would rather Coders focus their efforts on Armageddon 2.0 unless it is a bug. There is a trend recently of threads popping up with ideas for code changes that are not only pretty insignificant, but wouldn't benefit the game world outside of further realism. Playability > Realism in both the Stable Fees, and this Banking thread. End of story.

In 2.0, I hope:
-There are multiple currencies
-A bank could be robbed
-A bank could be extorted

But -- The 2.0 suggestion thread is closed, and I wouldn't suggest those ideas for 1.0.

bro it isnt the end of the story just because you say "End of story." and you are wrong armageddon 2.0 is never coming out. Thats why so many code discussion threads are popping up now.

January 20, 2012, 01:47:33 PM #65 Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:24:08 PM by Nyr
A few couple points:

--we aren't changing banking to any of these extents in arm 1--however, these ideas are neat
--we are sorry that the new free game being created by volunteers isn't meeting your expectations of timely completion, but we think you will get over it

edit because there are only two points there.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.