Discuss pending change to flee from Staff Announcements

Started by Morgenes, January 02, 2012, 11:47:44 AM

QuoteIf you had two people fighting each other without the flee skill the only way the combat ends if both disengage, or one goes down.

Sorry for the bit of derail.

But that reminded me of years ago before disengage went in. I don't remember if I was playing Byn or Winrothol...But we were out in the forest and staff animated a halfling...fun ensued...people running all over the place. Eventually everybody was pretty scattered, but two PCs found the halfling and went to engage, sadly, the keyword choices used meant they ended up fighting each other...and BOTH too tired to flee.

The emotes and shouts of help as they were slowly killing each other, helpless to end the combat was priceless...My PC laughed for some time before rescuing one and fleeing himself.

So, anyway, there is a third way, assuming a third PC is around with the right skills.

Snicker...old times.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Thanks Morg! Awesomely quick response and code fix  :o
Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!

That was an elegant solution, speedily executed. Thank you, Morgenes.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Quote from: X-D on January 18, 2012, 11:16:07 AM
QuoteIf you had two people fighting each other without the flee skill the only way the combat ends if both disengage, or one goes down.

But that reminded me of years ago before disengage went in. I don't remember if I was playing Byn or Winrothol...But we were out in the forest and staff animated a halfling...fun ensued...people running all over the place. Eventually everybody was pretty scattered, but two PCs found the halfling and went to engage, sadly, the keyword choices used meant they ended up fighting each other...and BOTH too tired to flee.

The emotes and shouts of help as they were slowly killing each other, helpless to end the combat was priceless...My PC laughed for some time before rescuing one and fleeing himself.

So, anyway, there is a third way, assuming a third PC is around with the right skills.

Snicker...old times.

The bald, burly Bynner chops at the tall, muscular Bynner's leg, nicking him.

The tall, muscular Bynner bludgeons the bald, burly Bynner on his leg.

The tall, muscular Bynner shouts, in sirihish:
  "I CAN'T QUIT YOU."
QuoteCalavera,

Your Shoot Me In The Head request has been resolved. We do not have sufficient ammunition to process your request at this time.

Italis
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on January 17, 2012, 10:38:06 PM
Quote from: bcw81 on January 17, 2012, 10:35:30 PM
What's the difference between 'mercy off' and 'mercy kill'?

'mercy off' will turn off both 'kill' and 'flee' options, making you take the killing blow and swing at fleeing enemies.

'mercy all' will turn on both, making you withold the killing blow and not swing at fleeing enemies.

'mercy kill' will turn on or off 'mercy kill' depending on what state it was in.

'mercy flee' will turn on or off 'mercy flee' depending on what state it was in.

In essence:
'mercy kill' off + 'mercy flee' off = 'mercy off'
and
'mercy kill' on + 'mercy flee' on = 'mercy all'

Is this something which might lead to confusion?

Also, I am hoping that a player cannot toggle mercy settings incorrectly:
i.e.
A player might toggle 'mercy all' and then toggle 'mercy kill' off - this basically defeats the purpose of 'mercy all' and might be a dangerous situation to have, especially if the said player had 'mercy kill' off in advance, and then toggled 'mercy all' - he might think he's gonna be showing mercy in death blows, but he might not be aware of the previous mercy settings he's made via 'mercy kill' toggle......

I think if we're gonna have two individual toggles for KILL and FLEE - then we can do away with the two blanket toggles - purely for the sake of player safety and to avoid accidental deaths.

Giving 4 separate mercy toggles is gonna lead to confusion, especially with newbies.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Quote from: Calavera on January 18, 2012, 01:42:29 PM
Quote from: X-D on January 18, 2012, 11:16:07 AM

Snicker...old times.

The bald, burly Bynner chops at the tall, muscular Bynner's leg, nicking him.

The tall, muscular Bynner bludgeons the bald, burly Bynner on his leg.

The tall, muscular Bynner shouts, in sirihish:
  "I CAN'T QUIT YOU."

Hahahaha.

Correction to my earlier post - I notice that Mercy All and Mercy Off do override the individual toggles - its all good - I panicked prematurely!
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

It seems pretty convoluted and more complicated than it was. I'll probably just stick with "mercy on" and "mercy off." If "on" isn't an option anymore, and has been replaced with "all" I'll do that, or off.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on January 18, 2012, 05:30:14 PM
It seems pretty convoluted and more complicated than it was. I'll probably just stick with "mercy on" and "mercy off." If "on" isn't an option anymore, and has been replaced with "all" I'll do that, or off.
I left 'mercy on' as an undocumented feature for people used to the old way. It does the same as 'mercy all'
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on January 18, 2012, 07:10:39 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on January 18, 2012, 05:30:14 PM
I left 'mercy on' as an undocumented feature for people used to the old way. It does the same as 'mercy all'

Yay, thanks Morgenes!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Staff pwnz.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I had no no problems with it until now. I have changed my mind. Every character should get the flee skill at least to some degree with this change.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Every character can attempt the flee skill.  If you need flee, you should play a guild/subguild that gets it.  I understand you disagree but this matter has already been decided.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

If you do notice any bugs, feel free to toss it into the request tool for review!
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.