Discuss pending change to flee from Staff Announcements

Started by Morgenes, January 02, 2012, 11:47:44 AM

I have to agree, the biggest problem I see is surprise Face Noms due to other code limitations not the things which hide.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on January 08, 2012, 06:48:51 PM
I have to agree, the biggest problem I see is surprise Face Noms due to other code limitations not the things which hide.

This was my initial concern, but now I'm considering how this is going to make opportunistic kills that much easier by utilizing NPCs to get bonuses on flee-attacks. It'll make killing people a lot easier, anyway, and so areas of the game which are dangerous are going to become even more so.

I dont understand. What do you mean by opportunistic kills? You mean leading soldiers into a fray? Or attacking someone while they're already being attacked by some animal?

Either way ... PCs will remain PCs. They're always dangerous. The other PCs will just have to be this much more wary of it all. It's the Mek situation that concerns me more. But ... eh, that's why when you travel deep in in certain areas, you're always risking your neck. Always, always, always. Before the flee change or after. With a maxed warrior or 0 day new chara.

Edit: Wrong thread, sorry.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

After seeing this code take effect, I gotta say, it's preeeeeeetty sweet. Muy gracias for implementing it, and props for the skill in which it was implemented!
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Feeling a lot better about this now that staff are tweaking here and there.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Quote from: Jingo on January 11, 2012, 09:37:03 PM
Feeling a lot better about this now that staff are tweaking here and there.
Quote from: Nyr>mount corpse

Apt.

The "parting shot" sucks for practice training, and trying to limit damage to 2/3rds which is the suggested cutoff point. A surprise, strong hit, then flee, and one or two more free strikes from the enemy character means they can push a character not only past 2/3rds but into the range that HP doesn't recover from.

IC it also plays like a punitive action: the opponent deliberately follows someone who has been hit enough, to try to hit again. It makes no sense in a training environment. It is a code-enforced action that the character may not even want to do.

The one suggestion I can add (and most likely others have mentioned already): make the parting shot toggle-able with Mercy. When Mercy is on, there should be no parting shots.

Quote from: gfair on January 17, 2012, 12:01:42 AM
The one suggestion I can add (and most likely others have mentioned already): make the parting shot toggle-able with Mercy. When Mercy is on, there should be no parting shots.

Agree with either this or a no-save parting shot toggle.

Quote from: Yam on January 17, 2012, 12:08:41 AM

Absolutely 100% should be this way.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

Quote from: Down Under on January 17, 2012, 12:10:25 AM
Quote from: Yam on January 17, 2012, 12:08:41 AM

Absolutely 100% should be this way.

I'd be happy with either suggestion myself but I'd prefer tying it in with mercy. Mercy on, no parting shot. My character should not be forced to try a parting shot on someone if they icly wouldn't do it in a given situation such as sparring. Maybe somebody jumps my char and my char starts kicking their ass but doesn't want to kill them, just beat them down until they run off.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Having a toggle would be fine, but not with the existing mercy code.  There are times you might want to take the last shot for a chance to incapacitate someone.  In those cases, you want mercy on -and- you want to take the parting shot, as well.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 17, 2012, 01:06:01 AM
Having a toggle would be fine, but not with the existing mercy code.  There are times you might want to take the last shot for a chance to incapacitate someone.  In those cases, you want mercy on -and- you want to take the parting shot, as well.

Good point. A separate toggle would be a better idea.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on January 17, 2012, 03:04:45 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on January 17, 2012, 01:06:01 AM

Good point. A separate toggle would be a better idea.

Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Ummm... having it toggle with mercy would defeat the purpose of being able to train up your flee skill, as would a separate toggle if standard practice was to take it off during training.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 17, 2012, 01:12:47 PM
Ummm... having it toggle with mercy would defeat the purpose of being able to train up your flee skill, as would a separate toggle if standard practice was to take it off during training.

What?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 17, 2012, 01:16:32 PM

What?

The point of adding in the extra attacks was to give a skill test for flee.  If the person you're fighting withholds the attacks, there will be no flee contest, so you won't be training flee.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Still, you should have the option of holding the attack if you choose. You can then intentionally train on that if it's what your characters want to work on but not be forced to if it's not something you want to do in different situations.

There's nothing stopping you from telling them in training: I'm going to try to break out of the fight and get away without you hitting me, try and stop me from getting away and take a shot at me if you can.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on January 17, 2012, 01:33:15 PM
Still, you should have the option of holding the attack if you choose. You can then intentionally train on that if it's what your characters want to work on but not be forced to if it's not something you want to do in different situations.

There's nothing stopping you from telling them in training: I'm going to try to break out of the fight and get away without you hitting me, try and stop me from getting away and take a shot at me if you can.

Sure.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on January 17, 2012, 01:18:11 PM

What?

The point of adding in the extra attacks was to give a skill test for flee.  If the person you're fighting withholds the attacks, there will be no flee contest, so you won't be training flee.

Don't see why you just couldn't give the skill test to the act of fleeing instead of trying to not get hit fleeing. And the point is mute if people are too scared to try in a sparring setting.

Quote from: Titania on January 17, 2012, 04:32:14 PM
Quote from: Morgenes on January 17, 2012, 01:18:11 PM

What?

Don't see why you just couldn't give the skill test to the act of fleeing instead of trying to not get hit fleeing. And the point is mute if people are too scared to try in a sparring setting.

Because there needs to be a consequence to the failure.  I assure you that if the skill test was to actually get away or not, there would be a HUGE amount of complaints, and sparring would not be fixed as simply as adding a new mercy flag.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

What we need now is a modest delay added to flee.  </helpful>
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Uh the consequence is that you do not move into the next room?