Why don't Zalanthans name their children after "celebrities"?

Started by ShaLeah, December 07, 2011, 11:33:31 AM

And then there is this:

Quote from: the clothing docs
Commoners often look to nobility for examples in most aspects of life, and fashion is no exception.

There is a certain flattery that comes from being copied.  While a 'rinith, half-elf named after a well-known noble may be found to be in bad taste.  A typical citizen named after or in likeness to a noble may not be so bad as some suggest.

"My name is Fan, named after Lord Fancy-pants of Kasix"  I don't think would be so out-of-line.

Or, "I'm Blue, named after my mother's employer's eyes"

"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

There was a one (and almost two more) child who came into play that was fathered by some oldtimer Soh
after the vnpc reached maturity. It was an interesting twist.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

I've considered naming more than PC after said old-timer Soh.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Some people in certain clans I think are encouraged to take the names of "celebrities." Was this covered already?
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: ShaLeah on December 07, 2011, 11:33:31 AMShouldn't (wouldn't) we name our children after the (in)famous?
I've had a PC named after a famous player before. I typically used a nickname as I'd had my PC beat up in the past by soldiers who thought it was inappropriate for him to share the name of a Templar.

You might ask what's the point if I used a nickname? It made an interesting element of his background that impacted how he thought and grew up.

There have also been times where I reused the name of a PC that I admired.

Because nobody tells stories about famous people.  No pool of names to draw from.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on January 06, 2012, 02:48:08 AM
Because nobody tells stories about famous people.  No pool of names to draw from.

That is what bards actually do.  We have Docs
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>