Voicemail!

Started by Fredd, November 23, 2011, 06:35:31 PM

It wont ever happen. I'm sure, it would need a total psychic system overhaul to do.

But wouldn't it be cool if you could leave a message through the way for someone when they log in?

AKA:

Welcom back amos!

Room: A barren landscape
Theres nothing here

The tall bulky man sent you a message through the way "when you get back to town, I need to see you"
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

What about someone trying to fake their own death and they can't keep their barrier up while logged out?

Barrier stays up when you log out, actually, so...

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

This was proposed a few months ago.  Too lazy to find the original thread right now.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 23, 2011, 07:26:38 PM
This was proposed a few months ago.  Too lazy to find the original thread right now.

It was knocked down either as too much work, or not worth it, IIRC.

Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

It seems like a good way to make templars stop logging in. I know I'd avoid it, if I thought I'd have messages (mostly irritating, demanding, or pointless) waiting.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Yeah I knew it wouldnt ever be put in. But it was an idea that I got when I logged in, and realized I had like 8 people looking for me. LOL
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

You could try to manage this ICly - find some commoner nobody, make them add your name as a keyword, and when they get contacted instead, they give out an automated message like:

"Thank you for contacting Lord Templar Hardnose. As he is not currently available, I will take your message and rely it to him at a later time."

I thought that's what... aides were for... Or are they just for mudsex?
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: Wolfsong on November 23, 2011, 09:29:56 PM
I thought that's what... aides were for... Or are they just for mudsex?

Aides get mudsex? All mine have been missing out!

As I would love the idea of this the few times it could have been extremely useful... I must vote nay.

Welcome to armageddon!
The tall, blue-eyed man psi'd you:
"Hey, I want some of that light armor you sold me last week"
The tall, muscular man psi'd you:
"Can I haz expensive sword plz"
The blue-eyed, muscular gith psi'd you:
"Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckhead!"
the red-nosed templar psi'd you:
"I's that custom armor ready yet?"
The spotted, white rantarri psi'd you:
"sup"
The pink-haired half-elf psi'd you:
"Do you have a nice shield available?"
The purple-faced, blue-eyed dwarf psi'd you:
"I would like some silt-horror armor, how much?"
The rugged-faced guy psi'd you:
"Some purple-faced dwarf was talking about silt-horror armor, you sell that?"
The f-me with bewbs psi'd you:
"I would like a sheath, something that makes me look sexy if you have the time"

>em sighs
the merchant sighs

>quit
Come back soon!

A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

More problems with the idea:

Target is dead. That means their character file has been wiped and no longer exists. If you are a master with contact, and they were lousy with it, then it means you would -eventually- get in touch with their mind, if they were alive. But you can't, if they're dead. In a situation where the character is dead and you're trying to leave them a message, this means you will know that they're dead. This spoils the surprise, first off..and secondly, can be used as a code cheat to discovering if someone is alive or dead.

Target has the same name/keyword as another PC - and that other PC is logged in. No biggie - you just target 2.pc instead of just plain pc when you discover this. But what if it's the same keyword/name as 3 PCs - 2 others who are logged out, one who's logged in, and a half a dozen mobs that are also currently in the game. The characters who are logged out, will always be last on the list, when there are characters/mobs -in- the game. Do you really want to go through all that stun-drop expense? By the time you get to 12.tall.man, another one might have logged in - and three more might have died, and 12.tall.man might now be 9.tall.man, which you already tried, and came up with the tall lanky man instead of the tall handsome man you were looking for.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 24, 2011, 10:39:22 AM
More problems with the idea:

Target is dead. That means their character file has been wiped and no longer exists. If you are a master with contact, and they were lousy with it, then it means you would -eventually- get in touch with their mind, if they were alive. But you can't, if they're dead. In a situation where the character is dead and you're trying to leave them a message, this means you will know that they're dead. This spoils the surprise, first off..and secondly, can be used as a code cheat to discovering if someone is alive or dead.

Two problems with this.

1. We don't know what happens to the character file.  That's an assumption.

2. Secondly, you are assuming that a player can't separate OOC from IC - something which I like to think most players  avoid.

A fix to this problem, however, would be to allow your character to leave the message regardless of the status  of the character. How to explain this?  Perhaps contact changes how it works (if we assume one mind is directly contacting another over the ether - a common but really - a baseless assumption).  Maybe messages that we send out via psi really go somewhere else first until the receiver's mind picks them up.  Maybe this happens near instantly in many cases (normal contact) and maybe a bit slower at other times (when asleep, unconscious) or never picked up (when dead).

A benefit to this would be a psion's ability to access many messages over time, some old, some new - a database of information that might overwhelm a mere mortal.  I think that might be pretty cool.

Quote from: Majikal on November 24, 2011, 03:27:35 AM
The spotted, white rantarri psi'd you:
"sup"

I'd be all for this idea if it meant wildlife would leave me love notes over the Way.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I'm not in favor, mostly for the reasons Majikal laid out in his example. When you're playing a "not for sale by normal NPC store clerks item dispenser", you'd very likely hate it if people could leave you messages.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Even more objections - and a comment:
Comment:
No, I'm not assuming players don't know the difference between OOC and IC. I am assuming *some* players *will* use OOC means to discover IC information, if it became readily available to them. It is the nature of muds. It is also the reason why the contact skill was changed several years ago, to -not- give a seperate message when you tried contacting someone who was either logged out or dead. It was enough of a problem that instead of punishing the rare few who abused it, they changed the code.

Objection:
If you can leave a message, then you know someone is NOT logged in. See the above for reasons why the staff changed the code of Contact in the first place.
Objection:
If you aren't given an echo indicating that you're leaving a message for someone who isn't logged in, then you might be expecting a response. Imagine how frustrating it can be...to assume the player IS logged in - and just not responding. Templars will assume their commands to return to the barracks are being intentionally ignored...underlings needing immediate help will think they were abandoned...all because of a strictly OOC situation (the player is not logged in).

November 25, 2011, 06:08:02 AM #15 Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 06:09:50 AM by Ouroboros
Quote from: musashi on November 24, 2011, 06:18:28 PM
I'm not in favor, mostly for the reasons Majikal laid out in his example. When you're playing a "not for sale by normal NPC store clerks item dispenser", you'd very likely hate it if people could leave you messages.

I'm actually in favor, for the very same reason. When I'm playing a role like that, it's important for me to know who wants what and service them. That's my job and if I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't be playing it. House Merchants who hide behind barrier or hide in general are one of my biggest pet peeves. If you feel like you're playing a "not for sale by normal NPC store clerks item dispenser" instead of a "merchant intent on plying the trade of their House" then perhaps you shouldn't be in that role.

In any case, I don't want to derail on this. But having played such roles, I just wanted to state it's -exactly- the type of character I'd love to be able to receive message on. Also, consider what's worse... Ten messages left for you when you log on, which you can respond to when you like, or five people finding your mind the moment you do, with you having to respond to them then and there.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 24, 2011, 06:26:07 PMIf you can leave a message, then you know someone is NOT logged in. See the above for reasons why the staff changed the code of Contact in the first place.

Unless of course you received the same message when trying to leave a message for a character not logged in, as you would in trying to leave one for one with barrier up. Kinda like contact works already.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 24, 2011, 06:26:07 PM
If you aren't given an echo indicating that you're leaving a message for someone who isn't logged in, then you might be expecting a response. Imagine how frustrating it can be...to assume the player IS logged in - and just not responding. Templars will assume their commands to return to the barracks are being intentionally ignored...underlings needing immediate help will think they were abandoned...all because of a strictly OOC situation (the player is not logged in).

Unless of course the "leave a message" command was separate from the "contact" command. Meaning who's logged in or isn't, has barrier up or doesn't, is paying attention or isn't, gives a rat's rear or doesn't, is... all irrelevant, to your leaving a message. It'd function like sending a message across the telepathic grapevine without any assurance of when/if the other person would receive it. For example:

>message amos.tall.dark.handsome Job's done. You owe me, bud.

Your thoughts waver for a moment as the following message forms in your mind and is projected:
   "Job's done. You owe me, bud."

>think Let's hope he gets that in time.

You think:
   "Let's hope he gets that in time."

If and when Amos, the tall, dark and handsome man is currently online, he gets the message instantly. If he's not, he gets it when he logs in again. If he is on and has barrier up, he gets it when he lowers barrier again. If he's dead, he never gets it.

Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

QuoteUnless of course the "leave a message" command was separate from the "contact" command. Meaning who's logged in or isn't, has barrier up or doesn't, is paying attention or isn't, gives a rat's rear or doesn't, is... all irrelevant, to your leaving a message. It'd function like sending a message across the telepathic grapevine without any assurance of when/if the other person would receive it. For example:

If someone is logged in, and has barrier up, and you cannot contact them, then how are they supposed to get your psi? Why should there be a way to get around something purposely coded so that you cannot contact them, by being able to contact them? It defeats the purpose of barrier in the first place.

Not in favor of this, for reasons already stated, plus others.

This thread so makes me want to quit my job and play a messenger PC 24/7, talk about making bank! :D

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Whiran Luck on November 25, 2011, 04:28:19 PM
If someone is logged in, and has barrier up, and you cannot contact them, then how are they supposed to get your psi? Why should there be a way to get around something purposely coded so that you cannot contact them, by being able to contact them? It defeats the purpose of barrier in the first place.

Quote from: Ouroboros on November 25, 2011, 06:08:02 AM
If and when Amos, the tall, dark and handsome man is currently online, he gets the message instantly. If he's not, he gets it when he logs in again. If he is on and has barrier up, he gets it when he lowers barrier again. If he's dead, he never gets it.
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

Quote from: Ouroboros on November 27, 2011, 11:58:26 AM
*snip* stuff I wrote

You're not getting it. Barrier, when successful, prevents all psis from getting through to you. That is the point of barrier. If someone takes it down and just has a bunch of messages queued from when they had it up, it is no different than having it down in the first place. When someone has barrier up, they are actively making it so no psi messages can get through. What is suggested in this thread is a essentially a workaround to someone using barrier for people to not be able to contact them. If someone has barrier up, it means that ICly, they don't want to be bothered, for whatever reason. If they are codedly successful at not being bothered, there is no reason there should be an OOC mechanism that allows others to subvert that.

Quote from: Whiran Luck on November 27, 2011, 03:41:32 PM
Quote from: Ouroboros on November 27, 2011, 11:58:26 AM
*snip* stuff I wrote

You're not getting it. Barrier, when successful, prevents all psis from getting through to you. That is the point of barrier. If someone takes it down and just has a bunch of messages queued from when they had it up, it is no different than having it down in the first place. When someone has barrier up, they are actively making it so no psi messages can get through. What is suggested in this thread is a essentially a workaround to someone using barrier for people to not be able to contact them. If someone has barrier up, it means that ICly, they don't want to be bothered, for whatever reason. If they are codedly successful at not being bothered, there is no reason there should be an OOC mechanism that allows others to subvert that.

Just to add -- Barrier prevents psionic contact, more importantly. So it would be impossible to receive messages without proper contact. I agree with Whiran's Luck in that this seems like a workaround in a system that is pretty clear. If you can't get in touch with them, they are barriered, offline, or dead. I don't see added convenience for logging in and getting thirty messages from people about how I wasn't around. As it was pointed out earlier in the thread, I think i'd just find that annoying.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

contact boss
psi Help! so and so is killing me!
beep
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Quote from: Samoa on November 27, 2011, 04:47:16 PM
contact boss
psi Help! so and so is killing me!
beep

Not to mention that. Idea killer, right there.

--Howlin' Wolf

Less succinctly --

Part of the fun of the game is the uncertainty and harshness. Not knowing if your friends are alive or dead, the sudden, abrupt emptiness with being unable to reach those you once knew and cared for, the fear that even though you can't reach any of your friends, you're going to go out hunting with this guy you're suspicious of...

A lot of that gets lost if you never have to worry about shit like that. There would be no messengers, no aides, and less fear and suspicion -- not to mention, by the way, how this might affect, y'know, -psionicists-. Not a good call.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Like Lizzie pointed out as well, at least I think it was Lizzie ...

I bet a lot of those "messages" you got would be people thinking you're online.

"Hey what's up?"
"I'm thinking of going hunting you wanna come?"
"Are you there?"
"Helllllllllllllllo?"
"Ok maybe you're just busy or sleeping or something, I'll talk to you later."
x6

That would probably get a bit annoying.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I throw my vote in that it would be more trouble than it is worth for both players and staff.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I don't see why "it would let you know when people have died" is being put forth as a legitimate counter-argument.  Assuming you know your contact skill is able to crush any barrier given enough repeated attempts, it certainly stands to reason that you would in fact be able to tell with a fairly high degree of certainty (psi-blocking powers etc. notwithstanding) whether someone is dead or not.  That is, the only reasonable explanations for failing to contact someone should be: 1) I suck at contact; 2) He has a barrier up; 3) He's in some miscellaneous psi-blocked state; or 4) He's dead.  There should be no 5) He's merely off-line.

The "ooh, but it adds an element of mystery" argument is silly.  Morgenes could code a chest-relocating routine that would periodically remove chests from people's apartments and randomly place them in another room, and it would be awfully mysterious, and would generate a shitload of miniquests as people tried to recover their loot.  It also would make no fucking sense whatsoever.  Sort of like the argument given.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 27, 2011, 07:14:55 PM
I don't see why "it would let you know when people have died" is being put forth as a legitimate counter-argument.  Assuming you know your contact skill is able to crush any barrier given enough repeated attempts, it certainly stands to reason that you would in fact be able to tell with a fairly high degree of certainty (psi-blocking powers etc. notwithstanding) whether someone is dead or not.  That is, the only reasonable explanations for failing to contact someone should be: 1) I suck at contact; 2) He has a barrier up; 3) He's in some miscellaneous psi-blocked state; or 4) He's dead.  There should be no 5) He's merely off-line.

The "ooh, but it adds an element of mystery" argument is silly.  Morgenes could code a chest-relocating routine that would periodically remove chests from people's apartments and randomly place them in another room, and it would be awfully mysterious, and would generate a shitload of miniquests as people tried to recover their loot.  It also would make no fucking sense whatsoever.  Sort of like the argument given.

That's one argument, but I can't honestly think you'd approve of logging into a slew of "hey, what's up" or 'hey, where's my order" messages is cool, Synthesis. It doesn't really add anything to the game, and would be a waste of time for coders (I imagine).

--Howlin' Wolf

November 27, 2011, 07:40:17 PM #29 Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:11:08 PM by Synthesis
I wouldn't really mind having psi reminders about what I'm supposed to be doing in-game.

I'd just make it like an invisible, automated rumor board that follows you around wherever you go.  Post title is the sdesc you received from the psi, post message is the psi message they sent.  Board is readable whenever/wherever you decide to read it.  Aesthetically, it's identical to something already in-game, and its obtrusiveness is countered by the fact that, you know, now you can actually receive that final, desperate psi-message from your mate right before he's tracked down and eaten by a robo-mantis.

I'm pretty sure that the playerbase can handle the responsibility.  Egregious offenders could simply have their ability to leave messages revoked.

Edited to add:  Also, the board could be updated when you're online as well, which would cover a second feature that's been asked for before--the ability to recall a list of recent psi messages you've received (server-side, rather than client-side).

I actually like this, in theory. It'd make it a little easier to stay in touch with PCs if your playtimes get out of sync for a while.

The problem I see is how to alert the sender as to whether they're not responding because they're offline (and would otherwise get back to you), or not responding for an IC reason, without opening the "yep, s/he is definitely logged out" can of worms, or alternatively, the "why didn't you respond to my desperate plea for help you jerkbag!" can of worms.

Templar Sue contacts Amos, and gets voicemail.
Templar Sue sends, psionically, in templar-accented sirihish, "You'd better answer me - I know you're there. If you don't answer me I will kill your husband, the Lord Oash, who I have in my room with me right now. You have one hour to respond."

Except - you're at work, and don't even know Templar Sue was looking for you, til you get home 6 hours later, have supper, and log on. And now, Lord Oash is dead. And it's your character's fault, ICly, because your character was perfectly messagable, but refused to answer the summons. Sucks to be you, huh.

And if voicemail wasn't an option and Sue really intended to force you to answer, with Oash as the bait - her player would've known to try another time and hope to ACTUALLY get in touch with you. Or maybe she killed Oash on purpose, BECAUSE she knew you were logged out and there wasn't a damned thing you could do to prevent it. You'll never know, thanks to the handy addition of voicemail.

Armageddon is a multi-player game, not a forum game. It is a "live" game, not an e-mail game. It is also not a turn-based game, where one person does something, and life comes to a halt until the other person responds. Armageddon is this way, for a reason. If I wanted turn-based or forum-based or e-mail based fun, I'd play a turn-based or forum-based or e-mail based game.

I'm still not over the staff's withdrawal from playing clan bosses to regularly address clan PC leaders in game. Though I understand the reasoning behind it, I still can't stand sending e-mailed reports ICly, to my character's IC bosses and hoping for an e-mailed IC response. The last thing I want is a list of messages I've missed from characters while I was logged out of the game - or worse - while I had my barrier up, on purpose, because I did -not- want to be contacted.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 27, 2011, 08:45:14 PM
Templar Sue sends, psionically, in templar-accented sirihish, "You'd better answer me - I know you're there. If you don't answer me I will kill your husband, the Lord Oash, who I have in my room with me right now. You have one hour to respond."

Having played a noobish templar, I have to say that is silly.   :D

Quote from: Lizzie on November 27, 2011, 08:45:14 PM

Except - you're at work, and don't even know Templar Sue was looking for you, til you get home 6 hours later, have supper, and log on. And now, Lord Oash is dead. And it's your character's fault, ICly, because your character was perfectly messagable, but refused to answer the summons. Sucks to be you, huh.

And if voicemail wasn't an option and Sue really intended to force you to answer, with Oash as the bait - her player would've known to try another time and hope to ACTUALLY get in touch with you. Or maybe she killed Oash on purpose, BECAUSE she knew you were logged out and there wasn't a damned thing you could do to prevent it. You'll never know, thanks to the handy addition of voicemail.

Armageddon is a multi-player game, not a forum game. It is a "live" game, not an e-mail game. It is also not a turn-based game, where one person does something, and life comes to a halt until the other person responds. Armageddon is this way, for a reason. If I wanted turn-based or forum-based or e-mail based fun, I'd play a turn-based or forum-based or e-mail based game.

I'm still not over the staff's withdrawal from playing clan bosses to regularly address clan PC leaders in game. Though I understand the reasoning behind it, I still can't stand sending e-mailed reports ICly, to my character's IC bosses and hoping for an e-mailed IC response. The last thing I want is a list of messages I've missed from characters while I was logged out of the game - or worse - while I had my barrier up, on purpose, because I did -not- want to be contacted.

1) The scenario wouldn't make sense because:
a) under the current game-code setup, there's no guarantee that the person contacted is actually at the keyboard, anyway.  It's perfectly common to contact someone and not get a response for an hour, or even never.
b) if people know there's an answering system in place, it would be ridiculous to make time-sensitive demands like that over the Way, and you could easily justify filing a player complaint about it.

2) Your forum vs. live-action argument isn't really consequential, as far as I can tell.

3) Okay, some people have made the point that they don't like to be annoyed by Way messages.  Actually, I find this stance curious, given your seething insistence that Armageddon is a multi-player game.  To address this point, I suggested a recorded-messages format that would be as little intrusive as possible (a rumor-board format, accessible anywhere, at leisure...not automatically upon login).  You can feel free to completely ignore these messages, just as you're free to ignore messages you receive via the Way when you're logged in.

4) To counter (3), above:  many people find it annoying that it is quite difficult to communicate with some PCs, because either they, or the target PC logs in infrequently.  I believe that if you calculated up the relative hedons here, the nuisance (to which we've admittedly grown quite accustomed) of being unable to contact a character who by all rights should be contactable vastly outweighs the nuisance of having to read some additional lines of text, the vast majority of the time.  In other words:  you'd just have to deal with it, for the greater good.

Not going to touch 1 or 2, but I will 3.

I don't think anyone has made the argument that they are annoyed by being contacted by people via the way. When someone is ICly, and they are sufficiently 'annoyed' or have one of twenty other reasons for using the 'barrier' skill which ensures, given the skill is high enough, that they will most likely not have people successfully use psionically-based communication skills on them, that would mean that they are -not contactable- by these people leaving messages. However, this does not check that the person can leave them a message. It just assumes that they can and are able to leave them some message outside of a skill check automagically, whether or not they are able to receive it. It's not just a one way street. I'm not going to hazard a guess whether or not this is always true, but in most cases, try to use a psionic skill when you have barrier up. How is it remotely fair or feasible to add a workaround to something codebased which ignores a skill being used to prevent it in the first place? Unless you propose that barrier and any barrier related skills are removed or the psionics system is completely revamped in order to facilitate this 'voicemail'.

As far as 4 goes:

Sure. It's a fair argument. But does anything really change when instead of actually being able to roleplay or sit down, what then ensues is a weeks-long equivalent to answering-machine tag? How does this benefit the game more than telling your aides/friends/associates/allies to contact this person and arrange a time to actually meet or discuss what you're trying to do anyways? How does doing otherwise add more to the game than the current system, in your eyes, detracts from it?

And further, how is it fair to any classes who presumably have ways to catch psionic transmissions (not confirming or denying they can or hazarding a guess as to what is possible). But assuming some not-common psionic talents allow you to do this, doesn't 'psionic voicemail' rob these sorts of characters from IC opportunities to listen in on said conversations via the way? How would you allow this sort of thing to happen, if it will interfere with the playability or skills of these sorts of characters? Or is their enjoyment/skillset also something which does not contribute to the game? Will you have all messages sent to them too?

Finally, what makes you qualified to judge as to the nuisance level people are feeling as opposed to one scenario or another? While some people wouldn't mind a couple lines of extra text, other players may very much mind logging in to see 30+ lines of 'missed' messages, or putting down their barrier, which they have expressly kept up, only to be flooded with messages. And if there's the possibility of -ignoring- these messages, as in a virtual message board, then what is the point of having it in the first place?

I see a lot of the problems or OOCly awkward situations caused by something like this far outweighing the benefits of even getting to the point where implementing something like this is possible without making other aspects of the game, coded ones, worthless.

Quote from: Whiran Luck on November 27, 2011, 11:13:02 PM
Not going to touch 1 or 2, but I will 3.

I don't think anyone has made the argument that they are annoyed by being contacted by people via the way. When someone is ICly, and they are sufficiently 'annoyed' or have one of twenty other reasons for using the 'barrier' skill which ensures, given the skill is high enough, that they will most likely not have people successfully use psionically-based communication skills on them, that would mean that they are -not contactable- by these people leaving messages. However, this does not check that the person can leave them a message. It just assumes that they can and are able to leave them some message outside of a skill check automagically, whether or not they are able to receive it. It's not just a one way street. I'm not going to hazard a guess whether or not this is always true, but in most cases, try to use a psionic skill when you have barrier up. How is it remotely fair or feasible to add a workaround to something codebased which ignores a skill being used to prevent it in the first place? Unless you propose that barrier and any barrier related skills are removed or the psionics system is completely revamped in order to facilitate this 'voicemail'.

As far as 4 goes:

Sure. It's a fair argument. But does anything really change when instead of actually being able to roleplay or sit down, what then ensues is a weeks-long equivalent to answering-machine tag? How does this benefit the game more than telling your aides/friends/associates/allies to contact this person and arrange a time to actually meet or discuss what you're trying to do anyways? How does doing otherwise add more to the game than the current system, in your eyes, detracts from it?

And further, how is it fair to any classes who presumably have ways to catch psionic transmissions (not confirming or denying they can or hazarding a guess as to what is possible). But assuming some not-common psionic talents allow you to do this, doesn't 'psionic voicemail' rob these sorts of characters from IC opportunities to listen in on said conversations via the way? How would you allow this sort of thing to happen, if it will interfere with the playability or skills of these sorts of characters? Or is their enjoyment/skillset also something which does not contribute to the game? Will you have all messages sent to them too?

Finally, what makes you qualified to judge as to the nuisance level people are feeling as opposed to one scenario or another? While some people wouldn't mind a couple lines of extra text, other players may very much mind logging in to see 30+ lines of 'missed' messages, or putting down their barrier, which they have expressly kept up, only to be flooded with messages. And if there's the possibility of -ignoring- these messages, as in a virtual message board, then what is the point of having it in the first place?

I see a lot of the problems or OOCly awkward situations caused by something like this far outweighing the benefits of even getting to the point where implementing something like this is possible without making other aspects of the game, coded ones, worthless.

1) It's already been argued that barrier stays up while offline, and barrier would prevent messages from being left, assuming the barrier skill is appropriately high.

2) Sometimes week-long phone tag is all you need.  For example, if I'm a ranger sharing an apartment with a merchant who only logs in once a week, I can leave him a message saying "what kind of shit you need, brah?" and he can leave me a message saying "yo dawg, I need some of them pimp-ass striped skins for my pimp cloaks," and we can both get on with our business.

3) I'm sure appropriate psionic skills can be added or modified to allow for psi-voicemail snooping.

4) Maybe I'm not a qualified judge of nuisance level, but then again, being annoyed by text messages from other players in the context of a text-based multiplayer game is supremely picky.  Deliberately advocating against allowing other players to receive such messages, regardless of the benefits they may gain, because you can't be arsed to read a few lines of text is just plain being a dick, quite frankly.

We're not going to do this; we've expressed this before on similar proposals.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on November 28, 2011, 08:13:08 AM

I agree with Nyr. This would drive me batshit insane, and it would probably drive other people insane when I tried to message them with it because I'm inclined to use it even though I really don't think it's a good idea, so I'm glad that staff says*DEEP BREATH* that they're not going to do this.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: Nyr on November 28, 2011, 08:13:08 AM

Well, yeah, I know this.

But there are good reasons and bad reasons for not doing it, and I was a little bored with seeing the bad reasons getting all the airtime.

Oh, yeah.  There are good and bad and in-between, for sure.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

My biggest peeve would be if I were to, say, take a month vacation from Arm.

I don't want to come back and see a months worth of Psi's from, say, superiors, inferiors, common folk, nobles, people I slept with, people I won't sleep with, asking me where I am, how I'm doing, why the fuck I'm not at training, why am I not talking to them. For a month.

Not to mention the obvious "barrier" issue where if you have barrier up, there's a reason it's up.

Maybe if the psi's expired after an RL day it would be more doable and feasible?
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 28, 2011, 07:39:00 PM
My biggest peeve would be if I were to, say, take a month vacation from Arm.

I don't want to come back and see a months worth of Psi's from, say, superiors, inferiors, common folk, nobles, people I slept with, people I won't sleep with, asking me where I am, how I'm doing, why the fuck I'm not at training, why am I not talking to them. For a month.

Not to mention the obvious "barrier" issue where if you have barrier up, there's a reason it's up.

Maybe if the psi's expired after an RL day it would be more doable and feasible?

If it were implemented like a board, with a date and a time, you could simply ignore the ones that were too far in the past.  Alternatively, there could be a 50-psi maximum, with the oldest being automatically removed from the list.

I think it'd be a problem getting the messages to the correct recipient.  Considering that messages are intended for characters that aren't currently logged on.  That's a lot of characters, many of them share names/keywords.  I think that when using certain keywords to contact people there'd be a considerable chance to send the message to the wrong person.  And then there's the problem that others have mentioned that there is no way of knowing if a person ever got the message.

I can only imagine reviving several messages from a jilted lover begging repeatedly to find out why they are being ignored.

What if this was implemented only for clan leads, and would only work for those PCs who are in their clans? Joe Schmoe couldn't spam lord templar Fancypants to death, but his militia captain and aide could reach him despite dodgy playtimes.

Quote from: Akaramu on December 22, 2011, 10:51:24 AM
What if this was implemented only for clan leads, and would only work for those PCs who are in their clans? Joe Schmoe couldn't spam lord templar Fancypants to death, but his militia captain and aide could reach him despite dodgy playtimes.

That's what the clan forums are for.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---

Quote from: Samoa on December 22, 2011, 03:03:12 PM

You can't put IC information on clan forums unless it's something vague and adresses the whole clan equally.

Quote from: Akaramu on December 22, 2011, 07:09:22 PM
Quote from: Samoa on December 22, 2011, 03:03:12 PM

You can't put IC information on clan forums unless it's something vague and adresses the whole clan equally.

"Private Amos has been seen in the barracks regularly, asking around for Lieutenant Malik."

Coordinate playtimes from there. If you can't coordinate playtimes at all due to being in differing time zones, you probably shouldn't be in the same clan with that person as your superior/hireling.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---

This isn't about coordinating playtimes, it's about forwarding critical IC info that helps keep plots alive even though you can't find the other person online for awhile. Like you would do with normal waying ingame, except it's for someone important whose playtimes don't match.

Such like: "psi I am sitting in jail - lord Templar Fancypants has threatened to execute me if he does not hear from you to explain this task you ordered me to do, my lord."

I actually did lose one PC because her superior was never online...

Quote from: Samoa on December 22, 2011, 07:17:48 PM
"Private Amos has been seen in the barracks regularly, asking around for Lieutenant Malik."

Coordinate playtimes from there. If you can't coordinate playtimes at all due to being in differing time zones, you probably shouldn't be in the same clan with that person as your superior/hireling.

I'm European. 85% (guess based on experience) of all clan leaders are outside of my timezone. Are you telling me not to play in clans? I usually have to live with meeting leaders every other weekend, and then someone is ill, or swamped with work, and I miss a full month of clan reports and my plot has died.

I know how to coordinate playtimes... but maybe you find it hard to imagine just how much my timezone sucks.  :)

You have solutions available to you already. 1. Leave a message with another PC in game. 2. Post on the clan forum that you want to see them. 3. Send the player a PM asking for an IC meeting. 4. If all else fails, use the request tool to write to your clan staff and see if the message can be relayed by staff.

If you do all that and still somehow cannot connect with your clan leader, then your clan leader has probably stopped playing. And any number of alternate solutions to get that character a message are not going to help, when the PC is stored or dead or completely inactive.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"