Life Oaths or Tour of Duty

Started by Potaje, November 16, 2011, 02:39:19 PM

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 17, 2011, 09:16:16 AM
Quote from: Down Under on November 17, 2011, 01:29:25 AM
I like the idea. Tours of duty. Kurac already does this, I believe, with Mercenary and Regular being completely different ranks. Mercenaries are kept at arm's length, Regulars aren't. It'd be nice if most, if not all, clans had ranks with this distinction. I still believe that PC's shouldn't need to take a life oath unless they make it past the bottom 'accepted' rank (Private, in most cases). Promoted to Corporal? You gotta oath up.

I absolutely agree with this. I've always thought that most clans should have a temporary position above Recruit. There is one clan that I can think of that shouldn't (Tor), but that is because of how they present themselves, as the elite of the elite. Per the Kuraci Model, and the Byn model, most clans should have tours of duty at low ranks, and life oaths at higher ranks.

A Recruit, BTW, is not a rank per say. It's more of a testing position, where the leader sees if you are worth a shit. Are you part of the clan? Eh, sure, but not really.

This is everything I have been trying to say, but without rambling and weird analogies! Thank you.

Quote from: Celest on November 17, 2011, 03:53:00 PM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 17, 2011, 09:16:16 AM
Quote from: Down Under on November 17, 2011, 01:29:25 AM
I like the idea. Tours of duty. Kurac already does this, I believe, with Mercenary and Regular being completely different ranks. Mercenaries are kept at arm's length, Regulars aren't. It'd be nice if most, if not all, clans had ranks with this distinction. I still believe that PC's shouldn't need to take a life oath unless they make it past the bottom 'accepted' rank (Private, in most cases). Promoted to Corporal? You gotta oath up.

I absolutely agree with this. I've always thought that most clans should have a temporary position above Recruit. There is one clan that I can think of that shouldn't (Tor), but that is because of how they present themselves, as the elite of the elite. Per the Kuraci Model, and the Byn model, most clans should have tours of duty at low ranks, and life oaths at higher ranks.

A Recruit, BTW, is not a rank per say. It's more of a testing position, where the leader sees if you are worth a shit. Are you part of the clan? Eh, sure, but not really.

This is everything I have been trying to say, but without rambling and weird analogies! Thank you.

Totally.

I think this is a great idea - why not compromise by having tours of duty and life oaths?

I think this would really make certain clans more bearable, more realistic, and way more interesting.

I like very long tours of duty over life oaths because I believe it enforces the idea of an oppressive regime and gritty, barren gameworld.

As it is, serving in the militia is a privilege.  A privilege so sought after you need to be a citizen and willing to devote your life to it.

Long tours of duty could help enforce that, 'life in the AoD ain't no picnic', and maybe after a twenty year term a non-citizen would be granted citizen status.  I believe the Roman legions did something like this, as Roman citizenship was something so sought after, people were willing to do it so they could have a better life if they managed to survive 20 years of fighting barbarians and conquering the world.