The Reveal Skill/command

Started by Jeshin, October 30, 2011, 01:46:06 PM

November 03, 2011, 05:38:31 PM #75 Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:40:04 PM by Spoon
Quote from: bcw81 on November 03, 2011, 05:26:23 PMThe only problem with this is that most people (or at least myself, and that's most people in my mind) define a character by their sdesc. So maybe you know Amos is "the tall, muscular man". However, you never took time to read his mdesc, and thus, if it's him sneaking around, you might not know it was actually him.

That's what I was going for. To be honest, I'd prefer as little information as possible, but then people ought to know the race/species. If it gave something vague like hunt, that would be cool.

I can't get my head around your first sentence in relation to the last two though. ???

Define the guy by his SDesc I dare you.

The young, just-mugged man exclaims to the muscular man in a blue templar robe, in sirihish:
     "Yes, Lord Templar, it was a tall, muscular man that mugged me!"

The muscular man in a blue templar robe asks the young, just-mugged man, in sirihish:
     "Are you saying -I- mugged you?"

The tall, muscular man arrives from the east, whistling softly.

Whistling softly, the tall, muscular man walks west.

The young, just-mugged man exclaims, in sirihish:
     "That guy right there, Lord Templar!"

The muscular man in a blue templar robe asks the nearby Militia recruit, in sirihish:
     "How many tall, muscular guys do you know, recruit?"

The nearby Militia recruit says to the muscular man in a blue templar robe, in sirihish:
     "I don't know, about a hundred or so, Lord Templar?"

The muscular man in a blue templar robe says to the young, just-mugged man, in sirihish:
     "There you go. Get the fuck out of my sight until you can actually -describe- the guy."

I may be wrong. I may bee on some really good LSD...

But I swear to Krath that you can already "em points at ~shadow"

or "say (looking at ~shadow) I see you"

Because I swear I have done it.

Of cours,e you have to be able to SEE that shadow to do that.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Let's face it, you'd only ever want a reveal command in a tavern or in a public place, where crime is not strictly allowed.

And let's face it, a reveal command is an oversimplification of what being hidden actually is.

When you "see a strange shadow" you shouldn't interpret that as meaning that you have a direct bead on the guy and he's right there and you can see him and interact with him. You should think of it as that you're pretty damn sure there's some guy looming around who doesn't want to be seen, but you're not exactly sure who or where he is. If you're watching someone and then they hide, as long as you see the strange shadow, let's say you have a damn good feeling he's still around, but you can't quite pick him out in the crowd. Maybe you can smell him or something.

You could find out who or where he is, exactly, if you DID something to reveal him, but by doing so, HE would also know he was revealed and then you'd have blown your cover, i.e., that you knew someone bad was around. Now, both you and he know that you intended to out his hiding place, leaving him in an awkward situation (i.e., being confronted suddenly in a busy tavern by a guy shouting, "HEY ASSHOLE! I SEE YOU!"), and YOU, the revealer, in an equally awkward situation (i.e., "Hey, why did that guy suddenly just go up to that guy and punch him the face? What an asshole!"

The answer here is roleplay the situation appropriate to the setting of being in areas completely full of vnpcs.

Quote from: Saellyn on November 03, 2011, 06:31:06 PM
Define the guy by his SDesc I dare you.

The young, just-mugged man exclaims to the muscular man in a blue templar robe, in sirihish:
     "Yes, Lord Templar, it was a tall, muscular man that mugged me!"

The muscular man in a blue templar robe asks the young, just-mugged man, in sirihish:
     "Are you saying -I- mugged you?"

The tall, muscular man arrives from the east, whistling softly.

Whistling softly, the tall, muscular man walks west.

The young, just-mugged man exclaims, in sirihish:
     "That guy right there, Lord Templar!"

The muscular man in a blue templar robe asks the nearby Militia recruit, in sirihish:
     "How many tall, muscular guys do you know, recruit?"

The nearby Militia recruit says to the muscular man in a blue templar robe, in sirihish:
     "I don't know, about a hundred or so, Lord Templar?"

The muscular man in a blue templar robe says to the young, just-mugged man, in sirihish:
     "There you go. Get the fuck out of my sight until you can actually -describe- the guy."

Eh, not much sympathy for "the tall, muscular man" if they do use the sdesc to track him down. You should be more descriptive with your sdescs than that.

Quote from: Nana on November 18, 2011, 11:49:44 PM
Let's face it, you'd only ever want a reveal command in a tavern or in a public place, where crime is not strictly allowed.

And let's face it, a reveal command is an oversimplification of what being hidden actually is.

When you "see a strange shadow" you shouldn't interpret that as meaning that you have a direct bead on the guy and he's right there and you can see him and interact with him. You should think of it as that you're pretty damn sure there's some guy looming around who doesn't want to be seen, but you're not exactly sure who or where he is. If you're watching someone and then they hide, as long as you see the strange shadow, let's say you have a damn good feeling he's still around, but you can't quite pick him out in the crowd. Maybe you can smell him or something.

You could find out who or where he is, exactly, if you DID something to reveal him, but by doing so, HE would also know he was revealed and then you'd have blown your cover, i.e., that you knew someone bad was around. Now, both you and he know that you intended to out his hiding place, leaving him in an awkward situation (i.e., being confronted suddenly in a busy tavern by a guy shouting, "HEY ASSHOLE! I SEE YOU!"), and YOU, the revealer, in an equally awkward situation (i.e., "Hey, why did that guy suddenly just go up to that guy and punch him the face? What an asshole!"

The answer here is roleplay the situation appropriate to the setting of being in areas completely full of vnpcs.

Never played a ranger?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 19, 2011, 07:57:26 AM
Quote from: Nana on November 18, 2011, 11:49:44 PM

Never played a ranger?

Seriously. I can't count how many times I run into the "Hostile non-magick NPC in lifeless desert room full of PCs but only one PC can see it" situation. And in this case, the hider can't RP, since it's just a NPC.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870