Awesome Stats?

Started by Intrepid, October 26, 2011, 03:43:43 PM

My character Ranak had 3 exceptionals  (strength/agility/endurance) which rocked. I've never again rolled stats close to that. Synthesis' post is right on -- I don't think any speculation on the matter, on the GDB no less, will be good for anyone, but you notice trends after a while that 'help', along with good old fashioned luck.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Never had an AI roll on any of my characters.  Two exceptionals was the most I ever got.
Murder, Corruption, Betrayal and Pancakes.

My best was three exceptionals and a good.  The only thing I did with that character was sit around.  Sometimes I can't even remember what guild I rolled her up as.  But I've never had an AI on anyone.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I've never had an AI roll or increase. Ever. And I've only ever had one exceptional stat.

Oh well. I mean. I keep them ... for other reasons ... yeah. I mean, RPing out poor strength is always fun.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

In 160 characters I've had some fantastic stats.

I've never, no not once, seen AI. It's a myth.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

October 28, 2011, 01:22:56 AM #30 Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:33:46 AM by Gunnerblaster
In my 3 and a half years of play, consisting of roughly sixteen or so characters - I've only had AI stats twice - on two separate characters.

One of which I ended up storing due to boredom.

Yeah.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

AI is only achievable through performance enhancing drugs... *nods*
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

One AI in 8ish years. What I love about that one was how I smoked it down to below average.

Had several.  Overconfident with all.  They all died within >2  < 10 hours.

In ten years I think I rolled one. And everything else sucked.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

October 28, 2011, 11:40:45 AM #35 Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 11:43:57 AM by hyzhenhok
My first (real) PC was a dwarf burglar/guard with exceptional agility and extremely good strength. Joined House Tor and kicked everyone's ass (except for the quasi-inactive Senior Silver). But it quickly became apparent that my dwarf wasn't improving very quickly. The Tor noble at the time tried Teaching me parry so many times.

If only I had rolled that PC as a warrior. Or at least an assassin.

My longest lived character was a breed with all stats between very good and exceptional. Very awesome. Exceptional wisdom on a high wis race rocks.

Had back to back breeds with AI agility. The first had agility focused second, the second one had agility focused third, and still got AI.

Given points, adding them to stats directly always made so much more sense to me than a completely random roll.

Even if the points just represented a weighted spread of the roll.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

In gambling, people talk about (or at least remember) winning and rarely (if ever) talk about their losses, even if they hardly ever win.  I suspect stats are much the same way, resulting in great fanfare about the characters that had great stats and little to nothing about average/poor stats.

I had a Byn Sergeant with poor wisdom. He was awesome.

Quote from: Intrepid on October 26, 2011, 08:19:48 PM
I've had the occasional Exceptional.  However, I've never had a stat set that entirely above average or better.
I've had a few. Me doing good is if I have two extremely goods. Although I have had a single absolutely incredible a couple of times over the years.

To be honest I have never really kept track of stats. I can't post my best stats ever, simply because I don't know them.

Quote from: janeshephard on October 28, 2011, 09:27:20 PMGiven points, adding them to stats directly always made so much more sense to me than a completely random roll.
I like my random rolling. Stats would introduce people trying to optimise the system. I think we have enough of that as is (thankfully not too much).

Probably my current character has the best overall statroll I've gotten. Gotten a few with pretty damn good rolls, too.

I've played a lot of chars who had 1 exceptional, and then maybe a good or very good and averagey other stats. Never gotten an AI.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been playing for about ten years and have never once had AI.  I chalk it up to bad luck.  Personally, I'm more or less happy with having "extremely good."  I'm not sure what I'd do with AI even if I had it.  More money, more problems.
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

November 08, 2011, 12:19:24 PM #43 Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 12:21:32 PM by Coat of Arms
AI is impossible with a lot of guilds, extremely common with others. Try rolling a young pickpocket, for instance. Stats appear to cap naturally at exceptional and you won't roll an AI without some inherent bonus which you can't get in very many ways. If you don't like to play a certain guild and have never rolled an AI, that's probably why. I've only noticed one combination that gives consisent AI in a certain stat, and it isn't even very good. Doesn't give you a huge advantage or anything. I don't think there's any secret stat-rolling knowledge that lets you mold your character into a badass killer more easily.

"Awesome" stats is what I'd call any set with two at e.good or higher and two that aren't below good. Usually some variation of exceptional/e.good/good/v.good. Anything more is too uncommon to hope for, and anything less is unimpressive.

There's a huge imbalance in how good it is to have a high value in one stat compared to another. High strength is worth so much more than high agility, for instance. If you can't train your skills constantly and on demand, high wisdom isn't all that. Anyone playing a combat-oriented character that doesn't run off to wildly murder NPCs every twenty minutes is better off emphasising strength, then endurance, then agility, and finally wisdom. If you can somehow spar many times a day, whenever you want and for as long as you like, high wisdom pays off up to a point, but then you eventually hit a wall where wisdom becomes completely worthless anyway because skillgains become so rare that the timer is entirely irrelevant. Strength is so much more effective than anything else and doesn't plateau or even out with higher skills, and high agility tends to just lower the point where your skills become nearly impossible to increase any further. Endurance is always useful.

Logic is usually true if you want to guide your character towards good stats. Max height and weight is so hugely common in warriors for a reason, but a small and lightweight person is more likely to be agile. Older people are typically wiser, young people weaker and less wise but more spry and healthy. A very young or very old character is unlikely to have stats suited for a combatant.

QuoteThere's a huge imbalance in how good it is to have a high value in one stat compared to another. High strength is worth so much more than high agility, for instance. If you can't train your skills constantly and on demand, high wisdom isn't all that. Anyone playing a combat-oriented character that doesn't run off to wildly murder NPCs every twenty minutes is better off emphasising strength, then endurance, then agility, and finally wisdom. If you can somehow spar many times a day, whenever you want and for as long as you like, high wisdom pays off up to a point, but then you eventually hit a wall where wisdom becomes completely worthless anyway because skillgains become so rare that the timer is entirely irrelevant. Strength is so much more effective than anything else and doesn't plateau or even out with higher skills, and high agility tends to just lower the point where your skills become nearly impossible to increase any further. Endurance is always useful.

I am going to have to say you are totally off the mark there my friend. Specially on the wisdom and agility. Oh sure, for a warrior, wisdom is not quite as important as agi and str, but having too low wisdom, even on a warrior can be rather crippling, Not that I can say why on the GDB, but it is. I can say, with low wisdom, some very important warrior skills are very hard to raise and nearly impossible to max, and if you aim for 50-100 day PCs like I and others do, that is silly important.  And if you think wis only affects some timer...Heh.

As to Agility, Heh, High agility is useful, to EVERY class in the game, Unlike str or even endurance. Low Agility is crippling to many classes, If I ordered stats myself, agility is always before end...no matter the class.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Listen to X-D. I may disagree with his grasp on economics ... but the man wyns Armageddon code. He just wyns.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on November 08, 2011, 12:59:52 PM
Listen to X-D. The man wyns Armageddon code. He just wyns.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

I am completely convinced high agility is the only reason 2 of my PC's lived so long..

High Strength is easier to see the immediate effects of. With weight that you carry. With your out of the box stump ranger that beats up some 30+ day warrior elf. an newish-HG wiping the floor against your old warrior. etc..

When you can 2 shot a kryl or a PC with arrows.. When you're hard to hit for an old warrior or that mob of gith, etc.. you'll thank you're agility.

And low wisdom I think for anyone is awful. I don't know and don't want to know.. But it's easy to see after a few long-lived PCs, it affects a LOT more than what ppl think it does.  All the stats are important...

But I have to admit I'm on the fence about skills vs stats. I used to think that skills overran any stat over time but now I'm not so sure.
Czar of City Elves.

My most awesome stats ever were:

Your strength is good, your agility is good.
   Your wisdom is good, your endurance is good.

First thing I did when in-character:

You feel good.

I so wanted to add:

Duh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh!

But I didn't. ;)

November 08, 2011, 05:22:18 PM #49 Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 05:25:09 PM by Celest
I don't mind getting low stats. I'll play a PC with low stats, in spite of them. What bugs me is prioritizing one stat first, above all else, and having that be my lowest stat - and remarkably so. Why do you tease me, not-so-random generator? Why? Alternatively, I don't think I've ever had a low agility PC, despite making very tall and very heavy, and older/younger PCs.