Cursing and slang!

Started by Karieith, September 22, 2011, 02:15:07 PM

I use falish whenever I get the opportunity just because I want to.

P.S. I always pronounce it Fall-ish.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Rhyden on September 23, 2011, 08:53:56 PM
Quote from: Samoa on September 23, 2011, 07:59:14 PM
Quote from: John on September 23, 2011, 12:07:21 AM

Falish - Used to describe something/someone that is flamboyant.
e.g. Those pants make you look awefully Falish.

While the curses threads come up every now and again, I wanted to take the opportunity to say that I *really dislike* "Falish," and have (thankfully) never heard anyone use it in-game. Am I the only one who finds it kind of... distasteful?

Maybe I'm missing the logic here. Aren't Fale generally flamboyant? Don't think I've ever heard it used in game either, but I'm just curious as to why you find it distasteful.

I'm willing to buy that I'm being hypersensitive, but to me it just reads like a cold shot of "haha, gay!" in a culture where that shouldn't ever really be seen. If we want to argue about -bastard- being a complimentary term, I'd feel like the same could be said of "someone who can afford to dress and act flamboyantly and throw enormous, socially significant parties."
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Quote from: Samoa on September 23, 2011, 09:48:33 PM
Quote from: Samoa on September 23, 2011, 07:59:14 PM
Quote from: John on September 23, 2011, 12:07:21 AM

Falish - Used to describe something/someone that is flamboyant.
e.g. Those pants make you look awefully Falish.

While the curses threads come up every now and again, I wanted to take the opportunity to say that I *really dislike* "Falish," and have (thankfully) never heard anyone use it in-game. Am I the only one who finds it kind of... distasteful?

Maybe I'm missing the logic here. Aren't Fale generally flamboyant? Don't think I've ever heard it used in game either, but I'm just curious as to why you find it distasteful.

I'm willing to buy that I'm being hypersensitive, but to me it just reads like a cold shot of "haha, gay!" in a culture where that shouldn't ever really be seen. If we want to argue about -bastard- being a complimentary term, I'd feel like the same could be said of "someone who can afford to dress and act flamboyantly and throw enormous, socially significant parties."

There's no reason why Zalanthans would make the connection between flamboyancy and homosexuality. Whatever Fale does that is deserving of ridicule, it doesn't have anything to do with sexuality.

"Torish" gets used as an insult too, in an opposite sort of way. But I've never seen either used to imply anything about sexuality or gender identity. Looking Falish or acting Torish may or may not be appropriate for some characters at some times, but in certain contexts those are very valid insults.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Talia on September 24, 2011, 11:12:07 AM
"Torish" gets used as an insult too...

Why do you hate donuts?  :'(
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Because it's associating a noble house with an insult for one.

Maybe among other nobles describing other nobles, that's fine.  Otherwise, who would ever have the authority to throw House Fale's name around like that?
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on September 24, 2011, 01:44:24 PM

Because it's associating a noble house with an insult for one.

Maybe among other nobles describing other nobles, that's fine.  Otherwise, who would ever have the authority to throw House Fale's name around like that?

Still, in Allanak flamboyancy isn't a general popular trend except with Fale Nobles. A lowly commoner dressed in silks could be considered Falish, and so could a flamboyant Sergeant of the Byn. I believe the root of this argument stems from the fact that "Falish" is under the curses helpfile. I believe it should be taken out, to rid the negative connotation associated with flamboyancy, but still believe it's a suitable descriptor. Then again, since myself nor Samoa have ever seen it used in game, I doubt it's really that big of an issue.

Also, I've seen the term "Bynnish" used before.

I don't believe the curse/slang suggestions are supposed to be Allanak-centric, and it's not simply curses but slang as well.

With that said, I personally think Falish is fine, and have never read a connotation of gay or sexuality into it, only that someone may be flamboyant, possibly past their means, or in a way that stands out, usually in an odd way, amongst their peers. I think of things like Falish and Torish as less derogatory (depending on where and how it's used) than just slang.

OK, then I'm going to assume I'm just being weirdly hypersensitive about it and it's fine. Glad I brought it up to get some other opinions :)
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

I've always wanted to use pussy.. But seeing as how women arent really looked down upon in Zalanthas.. Dont see the point.
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

Quote from: askaran on September 26, 2011, 06:14:05 AM
I've always wanted to use pussy.. But seeing as how women arent really looked down upon in Zalanthas.. Dont see the point.
I've come up with a great reasoning for this to be justified with a few of my PCs. Think creatively, and you too can use these base insults to their maximum effect!
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

If anyone ever questions me for using pussy IC, I just say something along the lines of "Pussies are soft. You're soft. So you're a pussy. Pussy."

"Ohh, baby, pet my quirri."
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on September 26, 2011, 08:11:07 PM
"Ohh, baby, pet my quirri."
I am now hoping beyond hope to hear this around EVERY CORNER.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Don't forget purple-headed love dujat.

As to pussy, I don't think I've ever used that except to refer to vaginas. IN A MOST VULGAR FASHION.

I think the one I felt most "on the line" with was cock- and cuntbreath. It wasn't to imply that someone was gay and terrible for it, but that they spent an inordinate amount of time on their knees. Sort of an extra-offensive way of calling someone a weak-willed kiss-ass.

Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Kalai on September 22, 2011, 03:18:38 PM
Cunt, whore and derivatives don't fit so well. There's no societal stigma to back it up. Whore is a job description, bastard carries with it the prestige of a family where marriage actually happens.
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

Pussies are folks that just 'sit there and take it'.

Whore is an incredible insult for women or men aspiring to something prestigious but are missing the mark of fashion in any given region--i.e. dressing like a whore.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

It still doesn't make sense in Arm context, since higher class, or even normal class prostitutes would tend to dress more fashionably to attract their clients, and in most of the 'nicer' places in game that have them, they're generally dressed well.

Now, 'Rinthi whore is something else.

I could also see whore as an insult when applied to someone whose profession involves skills outside of the bedroom. It's insulting not because 'whore' is an insult, but moreso in the way that it implies that the insultee would be better suited making a living on their back (which also implies a lack of talent, finesse, intelligence) than whatever profession they're touting themselves as, as opposed to them being someone who sleeps around for money. As in 'You'd make a better whore than you would a soldier.'

Quote from: Whiran Luck on September 30, 2011, 09:10:27 PM
It still doesn't make sense in Arm context, since higher class, or even normal class prostitutes would tend to dress more fashionably to attract their clients, and in most of the 'nicer' places in game that have them, they're generally dressed well.

Can we make the distintion between whores and say, geishas?   Concubines -- sure, give them fashion/ culture/ etc. because they play a role in society.   Whores -- they're simply selling what's between their legs.   
** this would make for some helpful documentation, actually

I could also see whore as an insult when applied to someone whose profession involves skills outside of the bedroom. It's insulting not because 'whore' is an insult, but moreso in the way that it implies that the insultee would be better suited making a living on their back (which also implies a lack of talent, finesse, intelligence) than whatever profession they're touting themselves as, as opposed to them being someone who sleeps around for money. As in 'You'd make a better whore than you would a soldier.'

Exactly.  Whoring is the same as grubbing or digging holes -- it's simply a physical task that isn't associated with any knowledge or skill.

"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

October 01, 2011, 12:52:10 AM #44 Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 12:54:38 AM by Whiran Luck
The thing is, I'm not talking about concubines. Concubines are something completely different. I'm talking about whores. Prostitutes. Hookers. Sure. There are fillthy, gritty disgusting ones who charge a couple sid a hookup. There are rinthi whores who are diseased and even more filthy and disgusting. But many of the normal NPCs who are whores are actually dressed normal to nicely. And there are super expensive and picky ones (in the minority) who are probably dressed as nicely as concubines and with the jewels to match, who count the upper crust of wherever it's allowable as their clientele.

However I'm going to assume the majority are probably just your average joe commoner who is getting by. A whore would attract their clients and coin through their appearance (desirability) and word of mouth (performance). So I'm just going by the assumption that a whore by profession and trade would likely dress a -little- better than your average grebber, if only to make visiting them more worthwhile to that average grebber. Same as a mercenary. Why would someone hire a mercenary as a guard if they didn't have a sword or armor?

Anyways, I certainly don't mean a kept companion (which is essentially a concubine and who has some pretty high expectations of behavior and social nicety). I really mean just plain old whore. And I still don't see it as an insult where such a profession has no social stigma attached to it. It would be equivalent to insulting someone by calling them a soldier, or a farmer. It -could- be insulting in specific situations, but overall, it bears no undesirable stigma to be insulting.

Addendum, because my internet client is being a bitch: By nicer, I don't mean noble-nice. By 'nicer' I mean places that are open to the public, employ whores, have whore NPCs and generally whore-related atmospheric emotes. They're not exactly destitute.

Quote from: Whiran LuckIt's insulting not because 'whore' is an insult, but moreso in the way that it implies that the insultee would be better suited making a living on their back (which also implies a lack of talent, finesse, intelligence)
In that case shouldn't being called a grebber be worse then being called a whore? After all not only do they lack talent, finesse and intelligence, they're also so ugly they can't even make it as a whore. Same thing could be said for mercenary or hunter (although these at least have some talent. Then again, they're butt-fuck ugly whereas a whore has to at least be passable).

Quote from: John on October 04, 2011, 05:01:31 AM
Quote from: Whiran LuckIt's insulting not because 'whore' is an insult, but moreso in the way that it implies that the insultee would be better suited making a living on their back (which also implies a lack of talent, finesse, intelligence)
In that case shouldn't being called a grebber be worse then being called a whore? After all not only do they lack talent, finesse and intelligence, they're also so ugly they can't even make it as a whore. Same thing could be said for mercenary or hunter (although these at least have some talent. Then again, they're butt-fuck ugly whereas a whore has to at least be passable).

I dunno man.

It at least takes guts to go out into the hot desert full of nasty critters to greb and hunt.

Not so much as a whore.... And yeah, there have been some uuuuuuugly ones.

Tuluki Muk sucker!
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 04, 2011, 05:12:37 AM
Quote from: John on October 04, 2011, 05:01:31 AM

I dunno man.

It at least takes guts to go out into the hot desert full of nasty critters to greb and hunt.

Not so much as a whore.... And yeah, there have been some uuuuuuugly ones.
It takes a ton of guts to walk into a room alone with someone, take off all your armour and then lie down for them. They could kill you at any moment.