How to Guide for Using Breeds (and how not to)

Started by FantasyWriter, September 10, 2011, 10:50:23 PM

Quote from: Talia on September 10, 2011, 10:37:23 PM
Quote from: Riev on September 10, 2011, 10:13:34 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on September 10, 2011, 09:42:12 PM
Send the breed in!

This is a good idea for anything.

Things for which sending in the breed is not a good idea:

-- Apologizing to the templar for you
-- Surrogate parenting
-- Serving at your dinner party

Continue.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

> sit at bar
There are no seats available at a scarred, baobab bar.

> subdue breed
You subdue the rangy, weathered breed, despite his attempts to struggle away.

> put breed bar
You pull the rangy, weathered breed up to a scarred, baobab bar.

> sit at bar
You sit at a scarred, baobab bar.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

- Brokering trade agreements with desert elves
- A comedy central roast
- Morale officer on the silt skimmer with a newbie pilot.

bahamet fodder

doorstop

barstool

latrine cleaner

target practice

Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

Not to:
Ever have as a lover.

<afterglow>
"Baby, did I do it right?"
<yawn, cuddle up>
"Uhh, are you ... sleeping on me? -- Oh, <insert city-state being here>, just tell me I did it right. Please, oh, I'm going to throw myself off the balcony if you don't tell me I was alright. Please, please!"
<snore>
<half elf weeps> "Why, why, why? Why didn't you just tell me? Why am I so horrible at everything?! I should just kill myself!"
<half-awake response>"You ... <snore> lovely."
"What was LOVELY? My hair?! My hairless, scrawny chest? Oh, you play with my heart! You toy with my emotions! Tell me it was good or I will kill myself nowwww."
Blah blah blah, times forever, on repeat, though eventually the other person usually goes away or kills THEMselves out of being purely annoyed by such an unsure and self-deprecating creature as the half elf.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Well, maybe, but even in more serious discussion about breeds there's a view that if your breed isn't of the obviously sniveling kind you're not doing it right or, even, you took it for the stat bonuses.

Please don't turn an amazing thread into an RP-police racial stat argument.

All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: spicemustflow on September 11, 2011, 12:40:50 AM
Well, maybe, but even in more serious discussion about breeds there's a view that if your breed isn't of the obviously sniveling kind you're not doing it right or, even, you took it for the stat bonuses.

Not a single person has even hinted at that, until you came into the thread informing that it might happen.

Also, on-topic:

The best job for a breed? Clearly, its to sub House Servant, and lick the boots of the -real- elves until they trust you enough to ask your opinion on something.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on September 11, 2011, 01:49:34 AM
The best job for a breed? Clearly, its to sub House Servant, and lick the boots of the -real- elves until they trust you enough to ask your opinion on something everything.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Breeds make good toothpicks, but I find myself needing a sharp-ear to clean those hard-to-reach areas.
Formaldehyde, ArmageddonMUD, Storyteller to the Stars

The tall, burly byn sergeant says in southern-accented common,
   "We have a gith raiding party out there.  We need to find it, pin it down, and kill it."

Looking up at the skinny, emo halfbreed, the tall, burly byn sergeant says in southern-accented common,
   "Runner Qel?

Clearly startled, the skinny, emo halfbreed says in southern-accented common,
   "Yes, Sergeant?"

You notice:  the skinny, emo halfbreed's eyes widen in excitement.

Barking an order and pointing northward with his bone longsword, the tall, burly byn sergeant says in southern-accented common,
   "Runner Qel.  Go up there and draw fire."

You notice:  the skinny, emo halfbreed's eyes narrow thoughtfully.

The skinny, emo halfbreed nods glumly in understanding.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Fomalhaut on September 11, 2011, 07:09:37 AM
Breeds make good toothpicks, but I find myself needing a sharp-ear to clean those hard-to-reach areas.

This totally sounds like it would lead to the creation of more tooth picks. Ewwww.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Morrolan on September 11, 2011, 12:48:39 PM
The tall, burly byn sergeant says in southern-accented common,
   "We have a gith raiding party out there.  We need to find it, pin it down, and kill it."

Looking up at the skinny, emo halfbreed, the tall, burly byn sergeant says in southern-accented common,
   "Runner Qel?

Clearly startled, the skinny, emo halfbreed says in southern-accented common,
   "Yes, Sergeant?"

You notice:  the skinny, emo halfbreed's eyes widen in excitement.

Barking an order and pointing northward with his bone longsword, the tall, burly byn sergeant says in southern-accented common,
   "Runner Qel.  Go up there and draw fire."

You notice:  the skinny, emo halfbreed's eyes narrow thoughtfully.

The skinny, emo halfbreed nods glumly in understanding.

Good god I wish stuff like this would happen more often.

Yeah, I know, that breed has like... a billion days played, has his skills all maxxed out, and he's the most experienced thing in your crew.

But he's still a breed.

Quote from: Nana on September 20, 2011, 10:43:58 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 12, 2011, 02:42:52 AM

Good god I wish stuff like this would happen more often.

Seconded

Thirded. I want my breeds to be 'volunteerd' for shit like this. People are too friendly to my breeds, even when my breeds are miserable little gimps.

HATE ME DAMN YOU!
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

I think I've always treated breeds badly... I had on character that was utterly horrible to them and could get away with it.  Most things he did were right in public too... it's great to see severe racism sometimes in Arm.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

September 21, 2011, 09:47:54 AM #20 Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:49:28 AM by X-D
My last Byn sarge always sent the breeds out front...an amazing number of them actually survived.

But I think that is because they all got really good at running away and high flee skills.

Also used to check any new dark areas. Breeds, the disposible mobile light source, Don't need to be able to throw torches, just have a breed in your group.

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Also, those of you who play breeds remember that hate and discrimination is a two way street.  As a half-elf you should expect hatred and discrimination, and especially in the cities you should expect that even your friends and coworkers will mistreat you and there should almost be a feeling of powerlessness about it.

BAD:

"Shut up breed!"
"WHY I NEVER!"

GOOD:

"Shut up breed!"
"..."
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Doesn't mean you can't poison their waterskins when they're not looking, though.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 21, 2011, 10:53:04 AM
Doesn't mean you can't poison their waterskins when they're not looking, though.

Well the point is that so many people should be discriminating against you, that it should be a normal occurance for the half elf.  If you have enough poison to kill everyone who's discriminating against your half-elf, NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE ARE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST YOU.
man
/mæn/

-noun

Quote from: Ender on September 21, 2011, 11:00:15 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on September 21, 2011, 10:53:04 AM

Well the point is that so many people should be discriminating against you, that it should be a normal occurance for the half elf.  If you have enough poison to kill everyone who's discriminating against your half-elf, NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE ARE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST YOU.

Fortunately we have a life-long supply of urine.

If not enough people are discriminating against your half-elf, your half-elf should be freaking out about why everyone's being so nice.

Quote from: X-D on September 21, 2011, 09:47:54 AM
Also used to check any new dark areas. Breeds, the disposible mobile light source, Don't need to be able to throw torches, just have a breed in your group.

Brilliant.

+1 to Breeds to shout and scream once they go inside the hole.
Czar of City Elves.

September 21, 2011, 12:20:24 PM #27 Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:26:02 PM by Kalai
Quote from: Marauder Moe on September 21, 2011, 11:24:15 AM
If not enough people are discriminating against your half-elf, your half-elf should be freaking out about why everyone's being so nice.

^ They're mocking you. They've decided you're an interesting toy to practice social conventions on and don't even realize you exist. They have recognized you have some talent and intend to abuse it out of you and work you to death. There is something even more flawed in them than in you and they are sorry enough creatures to actually see a breed as worthy of companionship; avoid them like the plague because they probably have it. They are kind souls and have taken pity on your worthless condition ... and will probably try to do things for you that you can do perfectly well on your own because feck you, you roundear 'tok, my sharp ears make me better than your slow fat rear at everything and I don't have to obey grammar if I am angry enough and, wait, krath, did I just make my only friend decide to kill me....? I am such an idiot.

Is there really a time half-elves aren't freaking out?

Heh, Breeds that talk back... oh I used to love that.  There have been times where I actually felt bad for what I was having my PC do to a breed... then I remember, it's a breed.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

My breeds discriminate against other breeds.

That's how hardcore I am.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

My off-peak breeds insult themselves and beat themselves up.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on September 21, 2011, 01:21:00 PM
My off-peak breeds insult themselves and beat themselves up.

Your on-peak breeds should be doing so aswell.  :-*
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

You need to remember who you are dealing with. This quote from "Godslayer" by Mickey Zucker Reichert sums it up.

Quote"You stupid animal!" Halfrija's voice rose in pitch and volume. "We hate you now more than ever. We would kick and spit, even slay you if we didn't fear your power. You're no man, you're a beast. Worse than a beast, for a rat is content with its lot and you have the audacity to pretend you're human!"
You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.

Sounds relatively epic, to me.

*Goes to look up "Godslayer"*
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

The first scene spells out the half breed mentality. He tries so desperately to be loved, but it only makes people hate him more.
You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.

Also?

Most of these suggestions can be switched out for 'Rinthis of any race! O:

Srsly, there needs to be moar 'Rinthi hate.

Not this whole, "Herp derp, I want the unique accent point Labyrinth move to Cenyr after, herp derp."

Picking on 'rinthers is kind of similar to making fun of poor kids in the ghetto. It might seem like a good, fun idea until you come home and your car's windows are all smashed in and the tires are slashed - if you're lucky. I definitely know kids in real-life who just shot up or beat people to death with real weapons - over a few insulting words. When life sucks, you don't care so much about consequences. Most suburbanites are a bit more careful.

Of course, this is coming from a guy who in real-life called the cops to help him drag a local thug who had punched his friend out of the bar, and received death threats in response.

Quote from: Kalden on October 04, 2011, 04:11:53 AM
Picking on 'rinthers is kind of similar to making fun of poor kids in the ghetto. It might seem like a good, fun idea until you come home and your car's windows are all smashed in and the tires are slashed - if you're lucky. I definitely know kids in real-life who just shot up or beat people to death with real weapons - over a few insulting words. When life sucks, you don't care so much about consequences. Most suburbanites are a bit more careful.

Of course, this is coming from a guy who in real-life called the cops to help him drag a local thug who had punched his friend out of the bar, and received death threats in response.

When I say 'Rinthi hate, I mean less of, "Oh, hey, I see you're a dirty piece of shit that came from a horrible place and you were probably raised to think it's a-okay to cut someone's throat for looking at them wrong.... Yeah, sure, you can join my crew in this merchant house in a city far away from your home."

You don't have to call someone a low-life piece of trash to their face to make them feel unwelcome. ;p

Discrimination comes in many forms and unfortunately what I don't see are the more subtle forms of discrimination, such as:

1.  Human:  I'd like to buy that mace     ShopKeeper:  That'll be 50 sid
     Breed:   I'd like to buy that mace     Shopkeeper:   That'll be 75 sid

2.  A breed walks into the bar:  The Kadian merchant drapes a leg over the only empty stool at the bar.

3.  Patrol is riding down the North Road:  Look North:   You see the breed attacked by 4 gortoks
     Patrol leader:  I have drinks ready at the tooth, let's push on, I'm tired anyway.
Malifaxis has UBER board skills

Quote from: ianmartin on October 04, 2011, 08:43:32 AM
Discrimination comes in many forms and unfortunately what I don't see are the more subtle forms of discrimination, such as:

1.  Human:  I'd like to buy that mace     ShopKeeper:  That'll be 50 sid
     Breed:   I'd like to buy that mace     Shopkeeper:   That'll be 75 sid

2.  A breed walks into the bar:  The Kadian merchant drapes a leg over the only empty stool at the bar.

3.  Patrol is riding down the North Road:  Look North:   You see the breed attacked by 4 gortoks
     Patrol leader:  I have drinks ready at the tooth, let's push on, I'm tired anyway.

1. Aaah, but there's always that, "Why would a merchant risk losing a customer by over-charging?!" bit... Not to mention there are a few elf and half-elf merchants out there. Then again, coded racism from all sides like that would be pretty cool.

2. > sit bar (like a boss, 'cause your emote can't codedly stop me, harh)

3. ... I think this actually happens every now and then. >_>

I don't know why people try to think with a non-speciest, non-xenophobic set of rational reasoning skills when applying IC logic to things.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

October 04, 2011, 08:59:25 AM #42 Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 09:02:13 AM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: Is Friday on October 04, 2011, 08:56:21 AM
I don't know why people try to think with a non-speciest, non-xenophobic set of rational reasoning skills when applying IC logic to things.

Word.

::Edited to add::

Probably because folks are paranoid about that breed they just beat up winding up with this.

backstab                      (master)

Quote2.  A breed walks into the bar:  The Kadian merchant drapes a leg over the only empty stool at the bar.

On #2, sadly there is no coded smack the crap out of dude option that does not trigger crime code.(Brawl does not count since both PCs must agree to brawl, If a PC decides to not braw he need only sit down or leave the brawl room)     I really wish there was. Like an actual combat version of brawl, long as unarmed and stops the fight when somebody hits like 30% of max HP. Even better if soldiers run in and watch and only arrest after the battle is done and the jail time is the same as a failed pick pocket attempt.

On #3...Yes, that happens.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 04, 2011, 08:59:25 AM

Word.

Probably because folks are paranoid about that breed they just beat up winding up with this.

And all of this is what I would equate to very lousy RP.
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Dakota on October 04, 2011, 01:00:18 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 04, 2011, 08:59:25 AM

Word.

And all of this is what I would equate to very lousy RP.

Basically this.  Stop being an OOC wimp and cause some damn conflict.
man
/mæn/

-noun

In order to be played well though conflict takes, imho, at least two.

One -- don't create breeds, gemmers, and 'rinithers then expect to have all this "clout" because you're A) rich   B)  connected

Two -- to all those employing "breeds, gemmers, and 'rinithers" remember:  if anyone ever decides said "boil on the arse of society" is feeling a little too confident/ welcomed in the world -- they may just start investigating why.  And if they start investigating why -- they may trace said "boil" back to YOU. 
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: Ender on October 04, 2011, 01:24:09 PM

If someone's playing a breed, give the player the benefit of the doubt and presume they WANT to be treated like a breed.
Quote from: Agameth
Goat porn is not prohibited in the Highlord's city.

Breeds are so fucked up because they are hated by all, not because they're hated the most. I don't get why racist people IG would hate breeds more than the full blood members of their least favorite race.

Quote from: spicemustflow on October 05, 2011, 05:56:04 AM
Breeds are so fucked up because they are hated by all, not because they're hated the most. I don't get why racist people IG would hate breeds more than the full blood members of their least favorite race.

A human who hates elves could hate half-breeds more than elves for a variety of reasons.

For instance, elves are bad, yeah, but at least they generally keep to themselves. They don't come up and try to identify with you as a person, and you can definitely tell an elf from a human.... Which isn't always the case when it comes to breeds.

I don't get why racist people IG would hate breeds more than the full blood members of their least favorite race.

Because it's societal upbringing.  A breed personifies one of the most stomach-turning, taboo events in Zan -- relations between elves and human, often rape  -- thus, it's easy for people to turn their rage against breeds.   Naturally, rather than address the issue of elven roles in society, or keeping folks safe from rape the Templarate keep peoples anger and expectation on the breeds.

<this space for rent>

I think people are afraid to make effect, in regards to anyone (breeds included) because folks will jump the pk trigger and whack your ass if they get the chance to do it.

That said, it's totally okay to piss on a breed sitting at the bar. I'm not saying I've done it, but go ahead!

Quote from: Saellyn on October 24, 2011, 02:10:18 PM
I think people are afraid to make effect, in regards to anyone (breeds included) because folks will jump the pk trigger and whack your ass if they get the chance to do it.

Agreed.  Every PC is connected in game -- there's no way just to "irritate" someone or just have a one-time issue because everything eventually snow-balls into PK-able offense.

So, as long as I want my PC alive -- they have to kiss ass with every gemmer/breed/'rinither out there

:-\

<this space for rent>

QuoteYeah, if you character is a wuss.
Lizzie:

My tip for breeds : don't read the boards.  Be ignorant of everything someone didn't tell you, including a few fringe facts in the docs.  This means a doing a lot of things without really knowing why, or the, "everyone else was doing it," syndrome.  Have nothing relevant to talk about except your own, pointless drivel, and you will have gone a long way to replicating the half-elven mindset.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Zoan on October 05, 2011, 01:38:27 AM
Quote from: Ender on October 04, 2011, 01:24:09 PM

If someone's playing a breed, give the player the benefit of the doubt and presume they WANT to be treated like a breed.

Uh. Who gives a shit about benefit of the doubt?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If you're a breed, expect to be treated like a breed and don't throw an OOC bitch-fit.

If you're sticking up for a breed, you better have a real damn good reason.

This ain't happy-cuddles-land. This is motherfucking Zalanthas, people.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

October 25, 2011, 02:00:12 AM #58 Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 02:03:43 AM by Jingo
Similarly, don't expect a breed's comrade in arms to take your side against the breed.  People sometimes forget that there are more dynamics at play than just race.

If Joe Nobody is trashing that respected breed trooper, he might as well be trashing the entire unit.

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on October 25, 2011, 02:00:12 AM
Similarly, don't expect a breed's comrade in arms to take your side against the breed.  People sometimes forget that there are more dynamics at play than just race.

If Joe Nobody is trashing that respected breed trooper, he might as well be trashing the entire unit.

Breed trooper shouldn't be respected unless he can handle Joe Nobody on his own...

How I've always played Breeds is that there's only one person they gotta look out for: Themselves. No one's going to hand them shit. In fact, it'll be the opposite. Gotta fight, tooth, nail and bone for what they have. They can't handle it - They die or end up subservant to the other races.

I figure, the only Breeds who have "respect" have usually earned it in quite a bloody fashion.

Just sayin' - If you're a Breed relying on others for help, you're either a very broken Breed or you just aren't doing something right.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

QuoteBreed trooper shouldn't be respected unless he can handle Joe Nobody on his own...

It's situational. Breed trooper isn't necessarily on his own. The rest of the unit could conceivably be dragged into a conflict. Whether intentionally or not.

QuoteI figure, the only Breeds who have "respect" have usually earned it in quite a bloody fashion.

Yeah. You likely won't see any savvy breed politicians or shrewd breed merchants. The breed needs to be good at what he does which in game seems to be either hunting or fighting.

QuoteJust sayin' - If you're a Breed relying on others for help, you're either a very broken Breed or you just aren't doing something right.

That's your opinion. I've heard the same thing said about city elves, and it isn't necessarily true there either.

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Breeds, to me, have always been a race seeking a fierce independence while, at the same time, wanting some sort of acknowledgment or acceptance.

Let me rephrase what I meant about Breeds relying on others. I think it's totally acceptable for a Breed, once having exhausted all independent options, to seek out the assistance of others as a means to accomplishing their goal.

Zalanthas is the separation of High Fantasy breeds from the Low Fantasy breeds.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I think that John Snow from "Game of Thrones" is good example of how a breed might be.  Bitter, torn, struggling with the differing forces inside himself.  Longing for acceptance.  All that.

If you're not playing a breed, please realize that many breed players, most even actively desire you to spit on, shun, and maltreat them.

Abuse them, for their sake, please.

Quote from: Jingo on October 25, 2011, 04:25:07 AM
QuoteBreed trooper shouldn't be respected unless he can handle Joe Nobody on his own...

It's situational. Breed trooper isn't necessarily on his own. The rest of the unit could conceivably be dragged into a conflict. Whether intentionally or not.

QuoteI figure, the only Breeds who have "respect" have usually earned it in quite a bloody fashion.

Yeah. You likely won't see any savvy breed politicians or shrewd breed merchants. The breed needs to be good at what he does which in game seems to be either hunting or fighting.

QuoteJust sayin' - If you're a Breed relying on others for help, you're either a very broken Breed or you just aren't doing something right.

That's your opinion. I've heard the same thing said about city elves, and it isn't necessarily true there either.

Situational maybe. But Breed's being, by and large, the most looked down upon, kicked, scum-sucking refuge of a race in Arm? Not situational and the environment which we as PC's RP in and add too should mirror that. They're exceptions to rules yes, but they are very rare and not every breed, 2/3rds, 1/4th of all breeds would be that exception.

They're mangy, low-down, dirty mongrels. Much like gickers but they come in all sorts of shapes and forms.

It's all in the docs in language much more concise than mine :P
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Jingo on October 25, 2011, 04:25:07 AM

But you could. There's nothing to say that a breed can't be a shrewed merchant, or involved politically (although obviously for a breed that looks like a breed, political potential is limited).

The docs lean towards half-elves being hunters, yes...

QuoteHalf-elves are somewhat solitary types, and many spend most of their time out in the desert. They are rumoured to have a special rapport with beasts of all kinds, but whether this is true or not, or if it is due to something innate in their nature or simply because they spend a lot of time with their mounts, is a matter of debate.

Roleplaying: Accepted by neither humans nor elves, half-elves tend to be extremely self-reliant, and they pride themselves on this trait. Half-elves try to do everything for themselves, such as hunting for their own meals and camping well apart from others they are with. Despite this, half-elves typically try to gain acceptance by elves or humans and will go out of their way toward that end. In many ways, half-elves are on a continual journey to establish their personal identity.

...but they also allow for much more then that. (emphasis mine)

QuoteFinally, this cycle of independence and acceptance does not dictate the roles which a half-elf can have. While most people easily identify the half-elf persona as a ranger-type character, it is equally applicable to merchants, thieves, slaves, or just about anything else.

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

THis was suppose to be a fun thread about humorous things to do to breeds IG. :(
There are plenty of threads arguing racism in the Roleplay discussion forum. Go find one.

[/rerail]
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

• The spiky-haired half-breed is here, being used as a chimney-sweep.
  • The black-dressed, kohl-eyed halfbreed is here, failing to look dramatic.
  • The purple-dressed half-elf is here, makin' the Joker look all stable 'n stuff.

"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Oh wow, if I didn't love my current quote, I would so use that last one.
*thinks of a future breed assassin/knifemaker role*
Grebber - One who grebs.

I tend to think there is ample amount of breed-abuse IG, though perhaps it's not always visible, if however, you're reaching for ideas, remember, breeds aren't human, sub-human, really, so even the nicest of PC's might

:seduce a breed, privately, then when breed talks to you in public, get your real mate to beat the crap out of them.
:convince breed he's not actually a breed, and encourage him to talk to those friendly elves loitering on Hathor's.
:having a breed friend is great for low self-esteem. You get to beat on them all day, and they won't leave you.
:report to militia that (insert meaningless, random lost object here) was stolen by breed, regardless if they were even around. Obviously he keeps looking at you because he's looking to steal more.

I'd love to see more breed abuse, as an avid player of breeds. (not for stats, being Bi-polar IRL helps me justify my chars mood swings if they're already mentally unstable)

Also, for those looking for good sociopathic roles to play, breeds work great.
Frankly, I'd like to see all the demi-humans in game in the byn be put in their own group, perhaps we should reinvent the idea of petards? Anyone got any flashpowder?

Quote from: Scarecrow on February 21, 2014, 04:45:46 PMIn Zalanthas, people don't dig graves with shovels, they dig them with their own tongues.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 04, 2011, 08:51:06 AM1. Aaah, but there's always that, "Why would a merchant risk losing a customer by over-charging?!" bit...
If everyone overcharges breeds then the breed is forced to pay or do without. For essentials and highly desirables they wont' do without.

By charging fair prices to breeds you encourage them to come to your store more which will discourage decent folk from coming to your store. If I constantly see breeds in a particular store all the time, I'm going to see if I can go somewhere else instead.

Because you have all this pent up anger towards elves but can't do anything because there's so many of them! And they all form these gangs (sorry, "tribes") and will gang up on you and the militia might not be there when they do!

But breeds. They aint got no-one backing them. They're universally reviled by all. Both human and elf. It's safe to beat up on a stinking half-breed and let out all your anger and frustration on the little fecker. What's he going to do? Go to the militia? As long as you don't get out of hand they'll just laugh at him.

Quote from: My 2 sids on October 24, 2011, 02:26:13 PMSo, as long as I want my PC alive -- they have to kiss ass with every gemmer/breed/'rinither out there
I'd rather be dead then kiss the ass of a damn breed. A life where you gotta respect a breed aint no life at all.

Furniture.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Hunger Games

<this space for rent>

Grinding backstab
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º