Reverse Guild Sniffing

Started by Titania, June 12, 2011, 07:59:45 PM

Quote from: musashi on June 18, 2011, 07:34:34 AM
Well spoken sir.

Thank you...I tend to lose my train of thought and derail a lot. :p

June 18, 2011, 07:45:22 AM #76 Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 07:48:21 AM by musashi
I totally agree with it. Various clans in the game follow various themes, and while no one is expected to be a certain guild in order to be in a certain clan (templars excepting) ... they are expected to act in accordance with the theme of the clan they're in if they want to avoid catching flak from their fellow clan mates.

If you're in the bardic circle but secretly a gicker ... you still have to act like a bard.
If you're in the Byn but secretly a gicker ... you still have to act like a soldier.

... Even if said guild has never been anything other than a safe haven for people pretending to be one thing while actually being something else.
... Even if you're an old player and you've done the "pretend to be this kind of person while really being that kind of person" character concept countless times.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I'm pretty sure the Byn doesn't train assassins. At least not in assassiny skills. If I were getting backstabbed/sapped during training by my partner, and I could kick their ass seriously hard... well, I would. With extreme prejudice.

Emoting != roleplay

But it's the best tool for making a dynamic and interesting role, while playing.

June 18, 2011, 10:19:25 AM #79 Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:22:11 AM by Is Friday
If you're in a clan that has a decently veteran leader he's going to be able to tell after a week or two if your guy is one of three guilds, anyway. Most players give themselves away pretty quickly. So long as you're roleplaying a vaguely interesting character it's not going to matter. If that leader cares what guild you are... then they suck.

With that being said, it's kind of frustrating as a leader to get 4 people who claim to "make clothing" and not have one Merchant amongst them. If you play a lot, it kind of pays to have a useful guild--since you're likely to have more downtime than the average player. (Most vets don't play as much as the new players, I think.) If you've been around the block you can get away with bringing nothing to the clan from a coded perspective if you're bringing good atmosphere and interesting interaction--someone has to teach the noobs what the virtual environment is and how to stay within docs through good example.

I know when I'm playing a leader I generally hire two types:
1.) The useful, code-heavy noob that makes a lot of stuff or brings in a lot of skins
or
2.) The player that may log on a few hours a week but plays a very interesting, three-dimensional PC.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

When I see a group of ten bynners, from the beginning this is sort of how I'd imagined their makeup:
2 warriors, 3 assasins, 1 ranger, 2 burglars, 1 pickpocket, and 1 merchant or 1 rogue gicker, often coming with the mercenary subguild or some sort of subguild involving knowing armor repair

I think i got that idea from just the way the byn operates, very loosely accepting of just about anyone and not particularly expected to be good, but having serious potential and drinking that soup like air.

i miss the byn. i want to go back someday
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Cindy42 on June 18, 2011, 05:09:42 PM
When I see a group of ten bynners, from the beginning this is sort of how I'd imagined their makeup:
2 warriors, 3 assasins, 1 ranger, 2 burglars, 1 pickpocket, and 1 merchant or 1 rogue gicker, often coming with the mercenary subguild or some sort of subguild involving knowing armor repair

I think i got that idea from just the way the byn operates, very loosely accepting of just about anyone and not particularly expected to be good, but having serious potential and drinking that soup like air.

i miss the byn. i want to go back someday

Nope. 2 warriors, 1 ranger (if the sergeant is lucky) and 5 assassins and 2 burglars.

QuotePlayers in leadership roles who enter the role fully expecting that all their d00dz are going to be of a certain class and should play as such have another thing coming.  In a way, I could call that metagaming.

I never said or condoned anything of the sort. I said, do your job ic or suffer the ic consequences. I think that's fair for both parties involved.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Quote from: hyzhenhok on June 18, 2011, 05:25:04 PM
2 warriors, 1 ranger (if the sergeant is lucky) and 5 assassins and 2 burglars.

Yeah, but at least one of the assassins is assassin/guard and the other is assassin/mercenary. It's the burglars who are an even linguist/tailor split.

Quote from: Bacon on June 19, 2011, 02:30:20 AM
QuotePlayers in leadership roles who enter the role fully expecting that all their d00dz are going to be of a certain class and should play as such have another thing coming.  In a way, I could call that metagaming.

I never said or condoned anything of the sort. I said, do your job ic or suffer the ic consequences. I think that's fair for both parties involved.

+1

I was gonna be all trolling in this post but that's too much effort.  Infer whichever insult would be greatest from this post.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

I was gonna be all trolling in this post but that's too much effort.  Infer whichever insult would be greatest from this post.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: lordcooper on June 19, 2011, 04:02:48 AM

....You @$$head!!!! I can't believe you said that! I am so offended!

Backstab/sap aren't things to train with on your friends and comrades in any capacity.  :P However, if you're under the illusion that you're going to be fighting warriors all the time... well, let's say practicing and practicing -against- some of the other skills of non-warriors can be very useful. I've practiced noncoded skills often enough in military organizations, including as a warrior, and they've helped me learn some interesting strategies while the person I was working with learned skills.

This thread is done. My position is unassailable.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on June 19, 2011, 09:46:06 AM
This thread is done. My position is unassailable.

I laughed.

Just get your barrier up to master and skip the session. There are lots of ways around it.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

Be consistent.  Keep your lessons going and to hell with anyone that can't perform well in them.

Don't demand anyone do one thing for the whole day.  No one does that except slaves, and those roles are a no-go.

Then, if someone puts up a fuss, kill them.

Or simply boot them out.  Reason and patience are for wusses.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Next incarnation, I'm making a non-combat class with a warrioresk subclass and joining the most heavily militaristic clan I can. Then, I'm going to roleplay utter combat incompetence.

It will be the greatest thing ever.

Quote from: Karieith on September 23, 2011, 10:24:32 PM
Next incarnation, I'm making a non-combat class with a warrioresk subclass and joining the most heavily militaristic clan I can. Then, I'm going to roleplay utter combat incompetence.

It will be the greatest thing ever.
bet you won't.
>: D
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I rolled up a whiran once with the intent of playing him as a combat character for a while before his "awakening." Stated him like I would have a warrior, and he turned out to be pretty damn convincing. He could whoop up on some rangers fairly easily after about ten days played in a combat based clan with a semi-regular training schedule.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: jstorrie on June 19, 2011, 02:52:08 AM
Quote from: hyzhenhok on June 18, 2011, 05:25:04 PM
2 warriors, 1 ranger (if the sergeant is lucky) and 5 assassins and 2 burglars.

Yeah, but at least one of the assassins is assassin/guard and the other is assassin/mercenary. It's the burglars who are an even linguist/tailor split.

I actually like that about the Byn. If they're all dwarven warriors with exceptional+ stats, they stop being a rag tag group of crappy mercenaries who do the jobs no one else wants to do. The fact that they're usually a bunch of guilds who are awful at combat is what makes them so compelling as an organization. They're not the best, or the brightest, or the most able, but damnit, they're the most desperate and there's a lot of them.

Quote from: docsThe T'zai Byn is the Allanaki Mercenaries' Guild. It is easily the oldest and largest mercenary company in Allanak, with a reputation for toughness and brutal effectiveness on the field.

They kind of are the best, as far as merc companies go.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I think I remember reading somewhere that they were comparable to one of America's military branches, but I can't for the life of me recall which or in what context.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

November 11, 2011, 01:10:07 AM #99 Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:12:43 AM by Celest
Quote from: Is Friday on November 10, 2011, 11:28:23 PM
Quote from: docsThe T'zai Byn is the Allanaki Mercenaries' Guild. It is easily the oldest and largest mercenary company in Allanak, with a reputation for toughness and brutal effectiveness on the field.

They kind of are the best, as far as merc companies go.

I was always under the impression that they were universally considered a cut below most standing fighting forces, even if they were the best mercenaries, with the order of "eliteness" being something like... Lyksae/Tor > Legion/Arm > Borsail/Winrothol > GMH and Byn. As far as mercenary companies go, I think they're certainly the most established for "toughness and brutal effectiveness" but I still think that could be interpreted as sending wave after wave of incompetent runners after the target ;D

I guess you're right though. They're not crappy mercenaries, they're the best mercenaries. It just always seemed like from all of the player-accessible, established groups, the Byn is the crappiest, most incompetent, rag-tag organization, but that may be because of actual IG occurrences and not the docs themselves.