Tent quits

Started by Chettaman, June 02, 2011, 08:22:45 PM

People have talked about rangers being able to set up camp and quit but I was thinking just tents in general.

But what about a tent? It frustrates me to no end that I have to wrap up my tent and move elsewhere to log out when the location I picked is just as safe as -most- others I pick in the desert.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

On the code side - That'll allow anyone walking by to look into the tent, roll it up, and take it while you're logged out in it.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

enter tent
quit

Outside you see: A sand-colored sandcloth tent has departed the land of Zalanthas.

Though it would be pretty funny to log back in rolled up and trapped in someone's backpack.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 02, 2011, 08:42:50 PM
Though it would be pretty funny to log back in rolled up and trapped in someone's backpack.

The gurth experience.

On topic: Hmm. It's not baaaad, since it requires someone carry the weight of the tent and a mount couldn't quit out inside of it. I'm not sure how I feel about it. 

As Qzzrbl implies, it would have to be a one-person tent.

"The camouflaged body-bag is here, lying amongst some tembo."

If it were put in game, Kurac would sell them for 5k sids each. Once per Grey Hunt.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Not that I agree with it, but the argument goes:  "quitting out in the wilderness involves much more than just having a shelter."

It's probably not useful to rehash it, because it isn't going to be changed.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

When tent code first went in it was said there was a giant code issue preventing them from ever being 'quittable' items, and that such permanence would require sending staff a message about the camp location and whatnot.

So I assume it's not just some fickle thing, I assume there really is a code issue that would require a lot of work to change, and that in light of other priorities, isn't worth it/isn't in line with what tents are intended for.

This could have changed, or I could be remembering wrong, that's my disclaimer.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

You remember correctly.

Likely because tent rooms are most likely temp rooms or somesuch.

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Synthesis on June 02, 2011, 10:43:13 PM

Didn't I just see you argue for auto-levelign skills for a few pages? You thinkt hat ahs better chances or something?  ;)

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 03, 2011, 02:49:17 AM

Didn't I just see you argue for auto-levelign skills for a few pages? You thinkt hat ahs better chances or something?  ;)

That's an idea that hasn't been rehashed a million fucking times already.  I also specifically stated in my first post that it wasn't something that's going to be implemented in 1.Arm, anyway.

Psh. Who needs specificity.

You can go link dead in a tent and be safe from the wilderness. Though I don't see why any guild excluding ranger should be able to quit outside anyway.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

Quote from: NOFUN on June 03, 2011, 03:09:29 AM
You can go link dead in a tent and be safe from the wilderness.

Not hardly... tents can be attacked and destroyed, leaving you out in the open, and any Amos can duck in and shank you.

Just in case any new players read this and thought 'oh, tents are safe to drop link in!'.

One of my first times I ever went in a tent, it was destroyed my a particularly common critter while I was in it. Surprising and scary, and a little funny too.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on June 03, 2011, 05:39:24 AM
One of my first times I ever went in a tent, it was destroyed my a particularly common critter while I was in it. Surprising and scary, and a little funny too.

Your tent crumbles around you!

The angry tregil is here, snorting.

tell tregil (placatingly) Sorry, buddy!

You tell the angry tregil, placatingly, in sirihish:
     "Sorry buddy."

The angry tregil says, in sirihish:
     "ok dude next tiem dont drop ur shit in my space"

> i

You are holding:
A small, one-person tent

> value tent
This tent is made by Kurac, costs 100,000 sids and is a prestige item. Only sid-twinks, super old characters, and most desert elves will have one.
You notice nothing unusual.

> tent quit

CODE (I am not a coder ... at all):
- check if player has tent.quit.item
- if yes, initiate log out
- send to player: You begin to erect the tent.
- begin 5 minute countdown timer

You begin to erect the tent.

> em snickers quietly as his tent erects.

You snickers quietly as his tent erects.

> em whistles as #me works.

You whistles as you works.

((Five minutes go by))

Code: logout player
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Scariest moment: Tent being destroyed by a Bahamet, and then the Bahamet insta killing my ratlon.

On topic -- I have to agree with Synthesis, this has been beaten to death and just isn't possible in arm 1. 2.0 baby! Cross your fingers.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Not that I agree with it, but the argument goes:  "quitting out in the wilderness involves much more than just having a shelter."

True, but it's so fun to argue that many of the peoples of such a harsh world should be quite used to camping out.  Warriors, certainly, anyone with a bit of experience in the wild (subguild that includes wilderness stuff).

THAT one change would open a world of opportunities for casual players who can't afford to spend hours waiting for the blinding sandstorm to stop so they can run to their hidie hole to quit out.

This is the one change I would like to see for causal gamers. Well, everyone, really.

Quote from: DustMight on June 04, 2011, 05:13:37 AM

True, but it's so fun to argue that many of the peoples of such a harsh world should be quite used to camping out.  Warriors, certainly, anyone with a bit of experience in the wild (subguild that includes wilderness stuff).

THAT one change would open a world of opportunities for casual players who can't afford to spend hours waiting for the blinding sandstorm to stop so they can run to their hidie hole to quit out.

This is the one change I would like to see for causal gamers. Well, everyone, really.

You're right, and I've bitched at length about the exact same thing.  I still don't really think it's worth rehashing, because there's so much inertia built up against it.

Some weird shit happens when you disconnect without being able to quit out man. I don't even want to know what happened sometimes when I go back in.

I like things are they are. Maybe, one or two more guilds could have being able to quit out in the desert like rangers can, as advanced techniques. I'd like to see a rangerish subguild which allows quitting in the wild along with a couple of related abilities. The only thing I really am excited about is the tentmaking skill, which docs say is not implemented yet. Unless something's changed and this were canceled, or already implemented.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

The docs don't say it's not implemented. The docs say it isn't FULLY implemented yet. This means, it is partially implemented. The inclusion of crafting recipes in the help files is a clue that you can, in fact, craft tents.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on June 09, 2011, 04:19:58 PM
The docs don't say it's not implemented. The docs say it isn't FULLY implemented yet. This means, it is partially implemented. The inclusion of crafting recipes in the help files is a clue that you can, in fact, craft tents.

;D
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

They aren't going to change anything until Arm 2. The staff made clear of that.

It seems like its one of those things that would be possible, but take some codework. 

A new roomflag 'tentquit' to call a seperate quit process from the normal code, to start.  Then that alternate version of the quite-code process to be programmed.  It would have to read the location pointer from the tent-room, save the player to that location, add a new flag to them as 'tent-saved', create a new tent object in their inventory, and then extract the player, temp-room, and the original tent-object from the game.  On return the tent-saved flag on the character would extract the tent object from inventory and place it in the room location, then place the characer in the new temp-room, and remove their flag.

Its been 20 years since I worked with DIKU code, though, and I don't know how Arm's has been modified, so I'm not certain of it - it just seems possible.  But it would take some time coding it, and there's other issues, like inventory order flip-flops that happen sometimes could then having you emerge from a different tent than you quit out in.  I don't mind the question of why the tent isn't left there for people or wandering animals to find.. if a ranger quits out leading their beast it's saved with them, so it could apply just as well to a tent.

A different solution though would be some (likely expensive) item that you would wear in the wilderness to let you quit out.   Maybe you'd have to be holding a pillow and wear a 'rugged sleep-sheath with mesh screening' about body, that would be in essence a heavy, leather-armored sleeping bag with mesh tenting around the head to keep away dust.  The code would be on the object, and the object on the character, and the character in the actual permanent room in the game.  Any object in DIKU can be set up to call game effects with a specific trigger... in the world I used to work with, I had a magical fan object from one of my zones that would message the room about the user fanning themselves with it and blown into the distance (when they used the 'fan' command on themselves with it equipped) and then proc a random teleport call on the user.  So a similar thing here should be able to call the Quit process... I think.  But it has been 20 years since I looked at DIKU docs. :)

Though this is all academic in any case, since the decision was made not to implement these things til Arm.2, if at all.  As was said, the coders probably have too much else on their plates already.
Woot!  They covered me in wood and set me on fire!  They DO love me!

Maybe you step out your tent look around, pet your war beetle and some asshole runs in from the west then jumps in your tent and you watch as your tent departs the world  ???

Quote from: muddy on October 16, 2011, 02:03:20 PM
Maybe you step out your tent look around, pet your war beetle and some asshole runs in from the west then jumps in your tent and you watch as your tent departs the world  ???

Then I will -wait- for days for that sucker to come back. And then we'll have werdz.