An official support vote for Noresist

Started by Dracul, July 25, 2003, 09:28:09 PM

Do you like the idea of the noresist flag?

Yes
50 (90.9%)
No
1 (1.8%)
Nosave works fine
2 (3.6%)
Noresist?
1 (1.8%)
Indifferent/cast away vote
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: July 25, 2003, 09:28:09 PM

NOTE: No...I do not care that I am not an Official....
Might be just making another topic, but the idea of noresist has come up several times over the past month or so (and in the far past too it seems)
so here.
Veteran Newbie

Perhaps you could post what you consider a 'noresist' flag to be, just so there isn't any confusion?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "sancho"- - I actually emailed this idea in earlier, but I thought I might get some feedback. I have suggested a new command, similar to NOSAVE. The new command would cause you to fail all saving throws, but only if the person attempting to do whatever was flagged as a guard/templar. I think NORESIST would be an appropriate name. When NORESIST is on, your character would surrender to the law, but not fall while trying to flee to the rooftops or let a passing defiler turn him/her into a kank.

- - The obvious question is "Why?". Well, if my character is a thief, he's going to give up on the spot if a templar/guard is trying to subdue him. However, if there isn't a guard trying to subdue me right then, I want to know I can attempt to climb to a rooftop to escape. I want to know if I accidentally leave it on, it's not going to have my character give up in a situation he NEVER would do so in (i.e. fall to his death because NOSAVE now causes you to fail at climbing).

- - Toggling NOSAVE on and off is deadly business. The screen lag between soldiers arriving and giving you the billianth of a second's warning, and then you typing "NOSAVE on" can kill you. In addition, your character will not resist anything, even if it would make sense to do so.

- - So, anyone else like the idea of having a new command, that acts like NOSAVE but only in regards to law enforcement (and maybe for ranking clan members if you're in that clan)?

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2740&highlight=noresist
Veteran Newbie

I love the idea, and I imagine the admin doesn't have anything against it.  I think the bigger issue is not that it is a bad idea, but more that converting a good idea into code is not always simple.  Anyone can envision a better system for nearly anything, the hard part is not the mechanics of the system, but coding it and not breaking anything while you are at it.  So, my point is that yes, it is a great idea.  If someone could put it in, I would consider it a god send.  That said, if you don't see it any time soon, don't assume that the admin hates you and the idea, it is more likely that there is no quick and easy way to put it in, and no one yet has the free time to do it.  It might seem like a simple idea, but the realties of coding it might be that it is far more complicated and would require breaking many other things to get there.

As I stated in another post, I'm all for it. I just hope it can be done.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I don't imagine that the code to implement something like this would be too hard. However it may require changing a lot of NPCs to be set up correctly to have the authority flag. Then again, I'm not sure how the code works, so I'm really just talking crap ;)

If all the Militia NPCs are whatnot are flagged as the right clan like "You are Joe Shmoe, cityguard of the Allanaki Militia", then the noresist, to my knowledge, should be able to go in right easily, in that it would work like the current 'guard' code, allowing a specified clan (yours) to pass your guard.

Now my question is... should the noresist flag only work in your hometown? Like say I'm a Northerner, if I'm stuck in Nak or somesuch, there's no way under the sun I want to get stuck in a Nakki prison, I'll brave the desert before that (Well, some characters would, others wouldn't) Maybe... noresist home, noresist all.

I wonder also, should it apply to PC militia? Or should you have to nosave that as well?

It's a great idea, a few more lines just need to be drawn.

I would say it should work for any town.  If you're from Tuluk and visiting Allanak, and want the guards to kill you instead of arrest you, then turn noresist off when you visit.  :D

NOSAVE already handles all the aspects of non-resistance you've listed in the proposed 'NORESIST' flag.  Yes, there are dangers inherant in toggling NOSAVE on and off, but if you're paying attention (as you should be) then NOSAVE works just fine.

In that 'billionth of a second' scenario, I've never had problems either getting arrested or getting my PC killed, depending upon what would be realistic for my PC to do.  Yes, if NOSAVE isn't active, sometimes you will be attacked by soldiers.  To avoid death, simply flee and toggle NOSAVE on.  THEN when the guards come for you again, they will subdue you and drag your criminal butt to prison/torture as deserved.

I've done this many times with previous characters and have NEVER had a situation in which the PC was killed when I was trying to surrender to the authorities.  Never......unless it wasn't the city of my PC's citizenship.
:wink:

Nosave..I still am afraid to even bother toggling that command because what does Nosaving have to do with anything. The thing that comes to mind when I see no save is Nosavespells or some such.

Maybe if we just wrote in the Documents: If you want to go freely turn Nosave(on/off) whichever it is. if you want to resist arrest turn it (on/off).

The only thing nosave has any relation to in the help file is SPELLS
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Nosave does all that and much, much more!  With nosave on you give up all your saving throws, not just against soldiers and magick, but against poison too.  If you forget you have nosave on and attempt to climb something, well, the results won't be pretty.  :shock:  You get a saving throw to see if you slip and plummet to your death, with nosave on you automatically fail and slip every time.  Who knows what situations nosave will affect?  It's like a bad luck curse.

A version that just effects soldiers would be useful.  Or a version that just effects Subdue, if that would be easier.  That would put you at risk from muggers and bandits randomly subduing you, but at least you wouldn't put your hands in your pockets and dive to your fate if you step off the wrong side of the shield wall. ;)

I don't think I'd do well as a criminal, because I'm not good at toggling.  I don't know how many times I've left Mercy on and witheld the killing blow against gith, scrabs and other things that are trying to eat me.  :oops:  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

The problem with your suggestion, Shekinah, is that some people will be dead before they can flee.  That's why the 'noresist' idea came up.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I can say will all certainty that I would be dead before I can flee. Playing from Australia with an average of 400ms ping to the mud means that most agro critters jump in and attack before I have a chance to do anything. I'm on ADSL, for people on dial-up its probably a 700-800 ms delay.

Quote from: "Summer"I can say will all certainty that I would be dead before I can flee. Playing from Australia with an average of 400ms ping to the mud means that most agro critters jump in and attack before I have a chance to do anything. I'm on ADSL, for people on dial-up its probably a 700-800 ms delay.
650ms average.

Sometimes it is worse however.