Default priority for commands

Started by Thunkkin, May 19, 2011, 09:49:46 AM

When I type "look figure" or "look (wo)man," I'd give it about a 100% chance that I'm not wanting to look at myself.

When I type "put sword rack," I'd give it about a 99.9% chance that I'm wanting to put the sword *in my hand* into the weapon rack and not the sword sheathed in my belt (which I then have to take back from the rack, wield, and resheath. Ugh).

It's probably devilishly complicated to change around the priority of what gets targeted first. Still, a player can dream ...

Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

A very small useful hint...

You don't NEED to wield and sheath, you can just type: wear sword on belt

Though I get what you are saying. The only time that I am wanting to look at myself, I type equip or l self, not look (my sdesc keyword).

However, I'm not sure if you can avoid that with code, *shrug*

Actually, there appear to be at least a few weapons where "wear weapon on belt" does not work, but wield and sheathe does.

But on the actual topic, I agree that it makes sense for 1.weapon to default to primary or secondary weapon over worn weapon.  I believe that something in secondary hand currently has priority over worn items, but that does not seem to be true for things in the primary hand.

I idea'd that for a similar reason, awhile back. I had a weapon that I didn't want, and couldn't sell. I needed to get rid of it. I was wielding that weapon at the time. I also had, sheathed, another weapon that I really WANTED, that shared a couple of keywords with the one I wanted to get rid of.

Since you have to -not- be wielding in order to use the junk command, I typed:

rem blade
junk blade

And before I could even realize that I had unsheathed the blade I actually wanted to keep, I had junked it. And the one I didn't want, was still wielded in my hand.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on May 19, 2011, 10:57:01 AM
rem blade
junk blade

Jeepers, I could see myself doing that. I always assume that remove will prioritize my hands over my belt and it surprises/annoys me every time. Yikes.
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

No matter how you set the priority ranking, there is always going to be a subset of people who don't pay enough attention who are going to fuck up frequently and be annoyed by it.

If you changed something like this, the other 99% of us who get along perfectly fine with things the way they are are suddenly going to be the ones bitching about the priority ranking.

I think the simplest solution is for you all to a) learn how the code works and b) pay more attention to what you're doing.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Use the keyword command.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on May 19, 2011, 01:59:03 PM
Use the keyword command.

Not always practical. If I have 4 raptor knives, and the one I am wielding is tainted with poison, and the other three are in sheaths or hanging from my belt, then (key knife) will return:

In Equipment:
1. a raptor knife
2. a raptor knife
3. a raptor knife
4. a raptor knife

It won't tell me which one I'm wielding, or where the other three are. They're ALL "in equipment." If I could just set default wield...then whenever I type key knife..it will ALWAYS list first, the one I'm wielding. And then, I won't even need to use the keyword command. I'll know that raptor knife #1 is the one I'm wielding, and if that's the one I want to get rid of, I only have to rem knife junk knife.

Would be nice to have a "change default" option though. Since we have a change hands option, why not a change default? Change default wield/hold, change default belt, change default sheath...

So when you log in, and your default is set to sheath, the code will always look for a sheath-item with something in it, before attempting to junk/draw/sheath from any other location. If you have 3 sheath items it'll go down your "wear list" and select the first one on the list with the appropriate keyworded item in it.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

rem blade
junk blade

rp - Remove Primary
rs - Remove Secondary
rt - Remote Etwo

Much more effective at removing a weapon you are wielding, and you don't need a target keyword.

As for having four raptor knives with one poisoned, just work around it by getting a new knife. There are -plenty- of knives out there with different keywords.
"Daddy, I barfed in my mouth!"

Quote from: zakattack on May 19, 2011, 02:45:51 PM

rem blade
junk blade

rp - Remove Primary
rs - Remove Secondary
rt - Remote Etwo

Much more effective at removing a weapon you are wielding, and you don't need a target keyword.

As for having four raptor knives with one poisoned, just work around it by getting a new knife. There are -plenty- of knives out there with different keywords.

Or the keyword command could expand to tell if the item is equipped, wielded, in the inventory, on the ground, ect.

Use the keyword command.

Quite so! I luff the keyword command.

I just mean, when you enter a room and you're shocked to see:
The tall figure is here, running away with stuff!

Quickly, you type "look figure", forgetting that your own cloak is up.

Your own desc shows up on the screen.

The actual thief is now gone.

See what I mean?

It's not a big deal. I would have posted this in the Tiny Code wants thread (since it's very tiny), but that thread doesn't exist ... The suggestion doesn't arise from an inability to target someone or something. I use the keyword command like a junky. But, in the heat of things, I almost always forget to type "look 2.figure" when my hood is up (or whatever command I'm executing in the direction of the other figure). I still don't understand the logic behind why such commands prioritize yourself and the things on your belt when I bet most players are typically using commands directed at other people and the things in their hands.
Sarge?

Ouch.

For a long time, I've tried to have no more than one example of a single specific weapon/object for which others are similair just for cases like this.

keyword knife

the brown stone knife
that knife someone made out of a brick
the grey granite knife

or

keyword pouch
the small leather pouch covered in a ghastly amount of blood that your non-rinthi pc is usually too disgusted at to own
the pretty Kadian silk-trimmed pouch that only holds a few stones but cost you several small
the regular run of the mill pouch
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

ok.  That doesn't help the people who might need/have more than one of something though.

Quote from: Thunkkin on May 19, 2011, 03:44:41 PM
Use the keyword command.

what bearing would this have, since you really shouldn't be garnering any identifiable information from someone who's face and such is obscured~

Quote from: MeTekillot on May 20, 2011, 06:46:21 PM
Quote from: Thunkkin on May 19, 2011, 03:44:41 PM
Use the keyword command.

what bearing would this have, since you really shouldn't be garnering any identifiable information from someone who's face and such is obscured~

What they're visibly wearing for one... a cloth wrapped about your face does not hide your boots, pants, shirt, cloak, or belt.

The option to change default, like Lizzie suggested, would be cool.

If there is confusion, I always (l keyword) and then junk it.  Or you can use the entire string.   junk key.word.thingy
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on August 16, 2011, 12:54:57 AM
If there is confusion, I always (l keyword) and then junk it.
Heh...I do this even with empty tankards, just to be sure they don't have a drink left. But then some of us are more meticulous (read OCD) than others.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

I would love if the your own PC's keywords, his equipment, and all mounts were automatically at the bottom of the keyword hierarchy, regardless of what was in the room first.

Especially mounts.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on August 18, 2011, 11:31:41 AM
Especially mounts.

Please?  Pretty please with a kank on top?

I would also give names of N/PC's priority as well.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

You reach into a dusty leather knife belt and slide out a
skinning knife.

>You brandish your skinning knife.

>remove knife
You stop using your leather knife belt.

>think (like a fucking idiot) Wow, really? You fucking idiot.
You think, feeling like a fucking idiot:
    "Wow, really? You fucking idiot."

>wear belt
You strap on your leather knife belt as a belt.

>remove skinning
You stop using your skinning knife.

t>load skinning belt
You load a skinning knife into a dusty leather knife belt with
a *snap*.

^That^ could all be avoided by "Sheath Skinning Belt".

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Or using:

rp = remove primary
rs = remove secondary

So that deals only with whatever is in your hands, and requires no keyword.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: Dan on September 17, 2011, 01:03:16 PM
Or using:

rp = remove primary
rs = remove secondary

So that deals only with whatever is in your hands, and requires no keyword.

Enlightenment.

Also etwo and rtwo

AND you can draw a weapon to any position as well.

draw sword es
draw sword etwo
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 17, 2011, 06:18:01 AM
You reach into a dusty leather knife belt and slide out a
skinning knife.

>You brandish your skinning knife.

>remove knife
You stop using your leather knife belt.

>think (like a fucking idiot) Wow, really? You fucking idiot.
You think, feeling like a fucking idiot:
    "Wow, really? You fucking idiot."

>wear belt
You strap on your leather knife belt as a belt.

>remove skinning
You stop using your skinning knife.

t>load skinning belt
You load a skinning knife into a dusty leather knife belt with
a *snap*.

Been there. As well as "load knife belt" which is always fun. That damn belt really needs the knife keyword removed from it. In my experience there's only a handful of items that are problematic enough to lead one to use them, and for me, that's one of them. It's a belt for knives. It stands to reason you'll be using knives with it. Targeting said knives, while the belt itself shares the same keyword makes it impossible.

It's rare, but I really think in some instances keywords should be removed from objects to accommodate their use. Just like others need keywords added that are missing. Like a piece of [something] for example, in which "piece" isn't a keyword (yes, already bugged the specific one I mean).

Back on point though, yes, it'd be great if priority of targeting was adjusted a bit. We should be the last figure we'd look at, and wielded should take priority over worn. Inventory I think already takes priority, which is good.
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

Bellowing in distress, a potbellied gurth pulls back into its shell.

>kill gurth
They aren't here.

>l gurth
They aren't here.

>kill shell
A grey-shelled inix swiftly dodges your slash.

A grey-shelled inix slashes you on the head, wounding you

You reel from the blow.

:c

Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 25, 2011, 04:40:12 AM

>kill gurth
They aren't here.

>l gurth
They aren't here.

>kill shell

You reel from the blow.

Dat >spiky.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on September 25, 2011, 05:10:36 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 25, 2011, 04:40:12 AM

>kill gurth
They aren't here.

>l gurth
They aren't here.

>kill shell

You reel from the blow.

Dat >spiky.

Either way... Was no fun at all learning that the first time. D:

September 25, 2011, 06:48:54 AM #28 Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 06:50:44 AM by FantasyWriter
Quote from: IntuitiveApathy on September 17, 2011, 06:07:44 AM
Quote from: hyzhenhok on August 18, 2011, 11:31:41 AM
Especially mounts.

Please?  Pretty please with a kank on top?

I would also give names of N/PC's priority as well.

Since we have no living kanks...

>Hitch kank self
An undead kank falls in behind you.

>Mount kank
You climb up onto the back of an undead kank.

>title kank George.
(fill in echo I can't recall)

tell Kank I'm gonna hug you, and sqeeze you and....
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.