Changes to Directional Watching

Started by Taven, April 27, 2011, 03:58:17 PM

I would really like to see some changes to "watch".

When I watch a direction, I want to be able to see emotes people do in that direction, not just commands.

If I'm watching a direction and also using listening skills to listen in on the conversation, it's frustrating when I can't tell who is speaking. For example, if you have two female people speaking off in a direction you're hearing two female voices. Unless they sound different, you can't tell who is speaking, even if you're watching the direction. When you watch a direction, I think you should be able to see emotes and when someone speaks.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Agreed. Has been my biggest complaint about watch since it was implemented.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

How about a 'voice' option in chargen, where you write how your voice would be heard from a distance?

such as

a sultry contralto
a monotone timbre
etc.

Quote from: MeTekillot on April 27, 2011, 04:45:59 PM
How about a 'voice' option in chargen, where you write how your voice would be heard from a distance?

such as

a sultry contralto
a monotone timbre
etc.

Separate but also cool

OP.  +1  Watch needs some love.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

+1. Watching a direction should give you either 100%, or a chance to see people's emotes in that direction. Talking, I don't agree on, because you might not hear what they say from a league away, but you almost certainly could make out what they're doing.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Or at least get a chance to see regular emotes and semotes as a hemote. People at a distance should have no chance at seeing hemotes however.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Quote from: Semper on April 27, 2011, 05:41:02 PM
Or at least get a chance to see regular emotes and semotes as a hemote. People at a distance should have no chance at seeing hemotes however.

This seems like a good compromise.

I hope this isn't considered giving away code information, and if it is please delete!

This already exists. You can see emotes from adjacent rooms, if your skill is high enough.

To my knowledge you can only see social commands.

>nod
>laugh

etc.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Yeah, you can see the so-called 'socials' of which we have very few left.  A couple examples are 'nod' and 'kiss' and such.  You can see coded things, like combat and foraging.  Actual 'emotes' though?  No.  You should.  I think you should be able to see people talking (in all iterations) too, and the emotes attached to them, but you wouldn't get dialogue unless your 'listen' is good enough to pull it in.  (To the west you see: The hardnosed templar speaks, raising a fist as he calls out loudly.)
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Quote from: Majikal on April 27, 2011, 06:52:46 PM
To my knowledge you can only see social commands.

>nod
>laugh

etc.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen full emotes from an adjacent room, but I might be misremembering. :(

You can see full emotes only from certain rooms with watch-like functionality built in: balconies over roads, walls above roads, alleyways, et cetera.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → b a

Quote from: Riev on April 27, 2011, 05:09:25 PM
+1. Watching a direction should give you either 100%, or a chance to see people's emotes in that direction. Talking, I don't agree on, because you might not hear what they say from a league away, but you almost certainly could make out what they're doing.

Hearing what people say is in no way related to watch. Seeing when someone talks is something that's logical.

Quote from: Semper on April 27, 2011, 05:41:02 PM

If someone is emoting running around in circles and waving their arms frantically in an adjacent room, I think it's silly that you'd only have a chance to notice it as a hemote. I do agree that people at a distance should have no chance of seeing hemotes.

April 28, 2011, 01:41:08 PM #13 Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 10:31:00 PM by Riev
Quote from: Taven on April 27, 2011, 07:59:57 PM
Quote from: Riev on April 27, 2011, 05:09:25 PM

Hearing what people say is in no way related to watch. Seeing when someone talks is something that's logical.

The only reason I disagree with it, is that a lot of people don't use tell emotes for "tell man (as he walks around, cloak fluttering in the wind)", its usually an emote describing the manner in which they talk. Softly, chuckling, etc. Perhaps a general emote such as "blah blah blah says something, but you can't decipher his words", but then it would need to work with listen, and which takes priority? (I know the answer but it might not be so easy to code).

Also I think people asking for "chances" to see things, are doing so because it is nigh impossible to raise the Watch skill, and anything that offers a chance to fail, offers a chance to raise the skill.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on April 28, 2011, 01:41:08 PM
The only reason I disagree with it, is that a lot of people don't use tell emotes for "tell man (as he walks around, cloak fluttering in the wind)", its usually an emote describing the manner in which they talk. Softly, chuckling, etc. Perhaps a general emote such as "blah blah blah says something, but you can't decipher his words", but then it would need to work with listen, and which takes priority? (I know the answer but it might not be so easy to code).

Also I think people asking for "chances" to see things, are doing so because it is nigh impossible to raise the Watch skill, and anything that offers a chance to fail, offers a chance to raise the skill.

Please correct your quoting, it's all funky. You put what you said in my quote box!  :'(

How watch and listen works now:

(my listen echos may be slightly off, but you get the idea)

Listen: On
Watching: North

look north
North of here is the desert. It's pretty sandy.
[Very far]
Nothing.
[Far]
Nothing.
[Near]
The female huntress with big boobs.
The squat hairless dwarf female.

You hear a female voice say to the north:
    "And he's just so sexy!"

You think:
    "Please please please Highlord let it be Taila who said that, and not the stump!"

"His ass is amazing!"

How watch could look, in combination with listen:

look north
[Very far]
Nothing.
[Far]
Nothing.
[Near]

To the north: The squat hairless dwarf female tugs on the female huntress with big boobs' quiver.

To the north: The female huntress sighs, rolling her eyes as she looks down to the squat hairless dwarf female.

To the north: The squat hairless dwarf female speaks, oblivious to the female huntress' reaction.
    "And he's just so sexy!"

To the north: The squat hairless dwarf female speaks, dreamily.
   "His ass is amazing!"

You think:
  "Fffffffffffffffffffff--"

You're saying that you don't like how you can see the speaking emote. I don't think it's an issue. If it really was, you could have something like this:

look north
[Very far]
Nothing.
[Far]
Nothing.
[Near]

To the north: The squat hairless dwarf female tugs on the female huntress with big boobs' quiver.

To the north: The female huntress sighs, rolling her eyes as she looks down to the squat hairless dwarf female.

To the north: The squat hairless dwarf female speaks.
    "And he's just so sexy!"

"His ass is amazing!"

You think:
  "Fffffffffffffffffffff--"

Awesome, Taven. Exactly how I was thinking it should work.

How it would work, without Skill_Listen.

Listen: Off

look north
[Very far]
Nothing.
[Far]
Nothing.
[Near]

Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on April 28, 2011, 03:13:27 PM
Awesome, Taven. Exactly how I was thinking it should work.

How it would work, without Skill_Listen.

Spot on, exactly.

The only question is, do we want to be able to see the emote attached to the speech when watching?

I would prefer it. There's a ton of emotes you can put in speech that aren't just tone.

For example, if you can't see the emotes attached to speech if someone did:

The buff, scarred man tells the wimpy lost merchant in sirihish, lifting his sword threateningly as his lips twist into a sneer:
     "Hand over your boots, or taste my blade!"

You'd just see:

To the north: The buff, scarred man speaks to wimpy lost merchant.

Instead of:

To the north: The buff, scarred man speaks to wimpy lost merchant, lifting his sword threateningly as his lips twist into a sneer.

The first, you might assume nothing has happened and merchant guy is fine, until buff man attacks. The second you can charge in screaming a war cry to save the day (or get stabbed in the gut yourself, as the case may be).

Quote from: Taven on April 28, 2011, 03:21:32 PM

The only question is, do we want to be able to see the emote attached to the speech when watching?

I say have it affected by distance.

look north
[Very far]
Nothing.
[Far]
Nothing.
[Near]
The buff, scarred man.
The wimpy lost merchant.

To the north: The buff, scarred man speaks to wimpy lost merchant, lifting his sword threateningly as his lips twist into a sneer.
You hear a male voice to the north say,
   "Hand over your boots, or taste my blade!"

look north
[Very far]
Nothing.
[Far]
The buff, scarred man.
The wimpy lost merchant.
[Near]
Nothing.

To the north: The buff, scarred man speaks to wimpy lost merchant.
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on April 28, 2011, 03:33:54 PM
Quote from: Taven on April 28, 2011, 03:21:32 PM

I say have it affected by distance.

The echo in your second one should be "far to the north," but I approve.

+1

Using the watcher's intelligence stat in helping to determine the percentage of emotes that are seen?
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Cindy42 on April 28, 2011, 06:11:04 PM
Using the watcher's intelligence stat in helping to determine the percentage of emotes that are seen?

I don't like this. Intelligence has nothing to do with if you see something a room away. Seeing something a room away (or two) could be connected with your skill at watch, which you'd learn faster and be better at if you're smarter (the wisdom score), but a direct connection makes no sense.

Maybe charisma could help determine if your emotes were more easily seen from far away.
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

Quote from: Ocotillo on April 28, 2011, 06:37:16 PM
Maybe charisma could help determine if your emotes were more easily seen from far away.

There's coded charisma?
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Yeah, it's listed right underneath intelligence.
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

I'm curious as of to what Morgene's opinion on this being implemented is.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I think the idea has merit.  I honestly can't tell you why some emotes show up via watch and others don't, I'd have to look and see.  Adding the speak emotes would probably be more tricky, but certainly far from impossible.

That said, it'd require a coder with time and desire to work on it.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

*waves his hand in the air* Sign me up, :P

Computer geek for life

Emotes in watch would be amazing

I think he meant a coder that is on staff as they'd still have to go through any code given to them by anyone else.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice