Looking for a role idea:

Started by Royal, April 09, 2011, 10:49:27 PM

April 09, 2011, 10:49:27 PM Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 10:52:49 PM by Royal
Kinda open to any suggestions, more Allanak-based as I'm not really too experienced. Combat based preferably and involving a lot of interaction with other players. To be honest, I kind of like the Arm of the Dragon (anything military based as long as it's not the Byn is good though too) so anything involving that would be great. I don't really want to play the normal grunt soldier and I'm having a bit of a "writer's block."

Hm, sounds interesting in a way. Could lead places, that.

Quote from: Royal on April 09, 2011, 10:49:27 PM
Kinda open to any suggestions, more Allanak-based as I'm not really too experienced. Combat based preferably and involving a lot of interaction with other players. To be honest, I kind of like the Arm of the Dragon (anything military based as long as it's not the Byn is good though too) so anything involving that would be great. I don't really want to play the normal grunt soldier and I'm having a bit of a "writer's block."
Playing a hunter-type who gets his hands dirty making sid while learning to be a physician is a good gig. Maybe with aspirations to be a Tor officer or something. I did have a Tor medic that doubled as an AoD medic for a little while--that was a fun role. I've also had a doctor in Salarr and the Guild. So taking from my experiences--the opportunities are there, you just have to present yourself as an interesting player first and foremost. People will let you get away with just about any kind of crazy profession if you're fun to be around.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

House Borsail (more politically oriented guard? never played there before). House Tor ("elite" military). AOD as mentioned before. Independent mercenary (but you don't get the benefits of a clan structure). GMH guard/hunter.

I'd recommend just starting with a humble background, and let you develop your character IG over time.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

I'm liking this physician idea more and more. And working for one of the Houses, Borsail in particular seems to take my fancy. And Tor is so closely tied in with the Arm I can easily be involved in that as well. Thank you guys! Hopefully I'll finally get another entertaining character as I've been lack of them for a while.

Play a traitor.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Royal on April 10, 2011, 12:50:26 PM
I'm liking this physician idea more and more. And working for one of the Houses, Borsail in particular seems to take my fancy. And Tor is so closely tied in with the Arm I can easily be involved in that as well. Thank you guys! Hopefully I'll finally get another entertaining character as I've been lack of them for a while.

I know you said thanks already and probably already app'd your PC, but here's a few more ideas in case that doesn't work out...

Quote from: Malifaxis on April 19, 2011, 02:32:00 PM
Play a traitor.

This doesn't end well!

Play a non-traitor militia clerk/physician. You can come on adventures with the AoD, fight, and carry things that the wimpy other Clerk people can't lift. Clerks don't have the restriction of schedules, typically, they get to socialize way more, but if you're a combat clerk you can participate in training when people are around. Of course, they have to actually hire you, but this is an option.

Play a warrior/linguist and hire on with the militia or Tor as a translator. The only flaw with this is that sometimes they already have people with the linguist subguild, but as a guild warrior, they'll love you.

Play a hard-ass who works for Borsail and knows the ins and outs of how to break slaves, because their family is traditionally Borsail. If you wanted to, you could toss in the linguist subguild and connect it to knowing bits of the languages to put down rebellions in training. This would be easier to do if you'd played in Borsail before and were familiar with some of the documentation.

Play a Tor warrior with an emphasis in strategy and learning, and learning about history and historic battles for the sake of knowledge.

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

One of those tempts the hell out of me.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Make a dwarf who wants to make the best cheese wheels

Translator suggestions make me sad.  I've tried it and it just doesn't work.

1) EVERYONE learns Sirihish quickly, maybe with the exception of some off-peak desert elves.
2) Why would anyone pay you (or pay you extra) to translate when for the cost of a slight headache they can use their birth-issued psionic universal translator?

Not to say that the Linguis subguild is bad.  It's still one of my favorites.  Just don't expect it to be profitable.

Anyway, here's how I go about making interesting characters: http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,39497.0.html

Other people in that thread had great ideas too.

Quote from: Royal on April 09, 2011, 10:49:27 PM
Play a Tuluki Fanatic.

I got inspired, and then didn't feel like playing this one--- I'm not that interested in firecracker characters who make quite the damn show, in exchange for a short lifespan. I die quick enough already. Exchange she with he or she/he.

Once the full-time "money manager" and part-time thug for a small-time, nameless gang, So-and-So was snitched on by a member of the gang and forced to flee that side of the rinth for her life.

So-and-So had stolen some baby quirri fur she had ordered from tribals "for the boss" but was in fact for themselves. She then began wearing them everywhere and announcing that they were baby quirri boots to whoever would listen, and also softhearted folks. This was the second to last of a multitude of indiscretions she was to make with the gang's money.

They came after So-and-So for the boot thing, who decided to escape with a particular percentage of the gang's total sid--- just enough for them to notice and know it was her, and not enough to get herself killed over that Hathor's Way barrier.

So-and-So now lives southside, and lives in the name of villainy and old-fashioned bastard fun times, making as much possible trouble for as many people as possible without getting caught. Whatever clan allows her to join--- those poor, poor people.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

A-O-FUCKING-D, BABY!
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Play a nymphomaniac with crotch rot.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

Quote from: Taven on April 19, 2011, 02:43:56 PM
Quote from: Malifaxis on April 19, 2011, 02:32:00 PMPlay a traitor.
This doesn't end well!
Depends on your perspective/goals.  It does't end well for your character usually, sure, but you are not your character and the game is not your character and the rest of us aren't your character.  You have to learn to separate these things.  Having a character that is a traitor can be immensely fun for you, get things moving, and give others things to do, so that sounds like it's ending well... provided you can have fun knowing that you're playing someone that WILL be hunted by other PCs and are up for playing their foil.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Quote from: Marshmellow on April 28, 2011, 10:46:15 AM
Quote from: Taven on April 19, 2011, 02:43:56 PM
Quote from: Malifaxis on April 19, 2011, 02:32:00 PMPlay a traitor.
This doesn't end well!
Depends on your perspective/goals.  It does't end well for your character usually, sure, but you are not your character and the game is not your character and the rest of us aren't your character.  You have to learn to separate these things.  Having a character that is a traitor can be immensely fun for you, get things moving, and give others things to do, so that sounds like it's ending well... provided you can have fun knowing that you're playing someone that WILL be hunted by other PCs and are up for playing their foil.

It definitely depends on what your goals are, and it's very true that you are not your character. I've had a couple characters who could be considered "traitors" depending on whose perspective you're looking at it from. Betrayal does tend to be a part of Zalanthas, and if you're betraying someone, that tends to mean that in their eyes, you're a traitor. There are different levels of traitors and betrayers, different goals and reasons, and different mileage for each. It all depends entirely on the character that you want. I think to some level, every character you play will be a traitor, or at least have the potential for one. My original comment was meant to be a little bit humorous.

However, here are some ideas for traitor/betraying roles that could be fun and engaging:
(Some of them if you play them, you'll want to play expecting to die on an OOC level)

• Someone completely devoted to their city's King. Atypically, this devotion manifests in the desire to get close to criminal organizations and people, to report everything back to their respective Templar/Faithful
  • Someone completely devoted to their city's King who journeys to the other city state, via a merchant house or the Byn. They then proceed to make friends with that city state, with the ultimate goal of giving everything they discover back to theirs
  • Someone who seems friendly, but in reality only makes friends with people who could have potential power (ex: befriending a Private that looks like they have the potential to be a Sergeant). If the friend flops or gets in trouble, turning your back on them.
  • Someone with an overreaching goal for which they would betray others (ex: money, love, praise, acceptance, personal accomplishment, founding/building a group)
  • Someone who wants to get close to people, but once they do becomes irrationally paranoid about that person betraying them
  • Someone who constantly gets in to trouble, and their way out of it is giving up their friends

Remember that not all betraying ends in death for the victim. Sometimes, you just want to take away everything they love and leave them to suffer. Sometimes you just want to cripple them, and again, leave them to suffer. Sometimes the only thing they'll lose is their position or their respect. I agree with Marshmellow in that traitor roles can provide a lot of fun interaction for everyone, if done right. It's also true that with any role, you end up dying (except for the few where you live so long that you store). It's how you want to die that counts. Generally, being a traitor is riskier then not. However, you could also argue that the rewards are potentially greater.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

RE: Traitor..

I can tell you that while once you make a traitor / rebel role you -KNOW- it's going to end bad.. If RP'd right you can do soooo much stuff. Very fulfilling and plot driving and once the powers @ be in the known are after you, you'll have a great ride.
Czar of City Elves.

Haven't checked this in a while, but while things didn't go the way I planned, things are certainly happening. ;) And mm, some of these roles especially may be just what my next character will be!

Just a random thought, but I always wanted to play a scholarly type in Armageddon. Or an explorer. Mm..

Quote from: Taven on April 28, 2011, 02:42:17 PM
Generally, being a traitor is riskier then not. However, you could also argue that the rewards are potentially greater.

Depends on what you look for. It seems like an incredibly stressful role. Easy mode is playing as a loyal character, and you'll go up in rank more quickly with blind loyalty, which is potentially more rewarding. I've played a dwarf who'd murder his friends to pursue his goals, it was good, but eventually stored him because it got too tough. I've played spies and traitors in other games too, and often it makes me feel OOC depressed at betraying someone.

Quote from: Royal on April 30, 2011, 03:24:26 PM
Just a random thought, but I always wanted to play a scholarly type in Armageddon. Or an explorer. Mm..

Heh, I've always wanted to play sort of a Zalanthan civil engineer or architect. There are some roles open for that, though, but for loyal people. Might want to take a close look around IG in some of the city-states and create a suitable char if you're interested in that.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I think the best clan to be a fanatic in is the Sun Legions of Tuluk.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

A true-inked living in 'nak. See how long you can keep your head before someone does it and says, "Oops, my non-tattooed hand slipped."

I've seen scholarly and scientist-type commoners. Its easier if you're a dwarf with a focus to discover everything you can about something specific.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Bogre on May 02, 2011, 05:51:08 AM
I think the best clan to be a fanatic in is the Sun Legions of Tuluk.
I remember being a legionairre. It was awesome. When things were happening. If they weren't... you better know how to solo-roleplay. Or better yet, know how to be social.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Cindy42 on May 03, 2011, 01:56:21 AM
A true-inked living in 'nak. See how long you can keep your head before someone does it and says, "Oops, my non-tattooed hand slipped."

I've seen scholarly and scientist-type commoners. Its easier if you're a dwarf with a focus to discover everything you can about something specific.

Easier than you would think. >wear gloves >wear gorget >change accent southern

Quote from: hyzhenhok on May 05, 2011, 12:30:46 AM
Quote from: Cindy42 on May 03, 2011, 01:56:21 AM

Easier than you would think. >wear gloves >wear gorget >change accent southern

This makes me wonder how a character of mine got found out. Gorramit.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

There are plenty of people that will share information, rumor-mongering and gossiping.  All it takes is for one person to have seen your character with the inks showing once... and it's possible for the whole world to know.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice