Random (possibly facetious) questions on races

Started by lordcooper, February 26, 2011, 07:53:08 PM

Would an elf beg?  If so, should they have any qualms about which races they will beg from?  I'm pretty sure they would see it as stealing, but how does the whole pride thing fit in here?

Would an elf (possibly with a serious injury) allow another elf to carry them, or would that count as riding the other elf?  On a similar subject, must both skinnies be touching the ground/bed/whatever during sex?  What about baby elves?  Can they be carried by a parent, or is that shameful?

Say a dwarf has the focus of preserving as much food as possible, would they willingly starve to death, or see that as losing the opportunity to prevent further food from being consumed (lol at anorexic stump)?  Would a dwarf (unthinkingly?) sacrifice their own life for a focus in general?  Are they capable of allowing/causing a temporary setback to their focus being completed, if it helps in the long term?

Can a Breed ever get freaked out by being accepted by their mount?

Most of these, I'm actually unsure of.  A couple I just find vaguely entertaining or awkward to ask.
Answers are appreciated, but feel free to add more questions about weird scenarios.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Elves do beg.

A wounded elf might let another elf carry him to safety in a life-threatening situation, but it would be a hefty blow to his pride.

A dwarf would sacrifice the rest of their life for succeeding in their focus, because the focus is the only part of life that matters. It's unlikely that a dwarf would develop a focus which was directly suicidal, though, like a focus not to eat.

Halfbreeds have social issues, but not animal issues. They're uncommonly good with animals.

Quote from: jstorrie on February 26, 2011, 08:23:23 PM
They're uncommonly good with animals.

And that makes them depressed, I'd bet.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: lordcooper on February 26, 2011, 07:53:08 PM
Would an elf beg?  If so, should they have any qualms about which races they will beg from?  I'm pretty sure they would see it as stealing, but how does the whole pride thing fit in here?

I would say they would beg from members of their tribe if it was acceptable within the tribe, and then they may beg from other elves out of the tribe if they were willing to accept those who did give aid as a potential friend. In a sense, giving a prideful person gifts makes the person feel deserving of them.

QuoteWould an elf (possibly with a serious injury) allow another elf to carry them, or would that count as riding the other elf?  On a similar subject, must both skinnies be touching the ground/bed/whatever during sex?  What about baby elves?  Can they be carried by a parent, or is that shameful?

That's all okay.

QuoteSay a dwarf has the focus of preserving as much food as possible, would they willingly starve to death, or see that as losing the opportunity to prevent further food from being consumed (lol at anorexic stump)?  Would a dwarf (unthinkingly?) sacrifice their own life for a focus in general?  Are they capable of allowing/causing a temporary setback to their focus being completed, if it helps in the long term?

I doubt they would starve to death in an effort to preserve as much food as possible, as the dwarf would likely reason that, by eating some food, he can preserve even more food in the additional years of his life. While they wouldn't commit suicide, they would absolutely put themselves at great risk if they knew that was what it took to complete their focus. I think they are capable of essentially planning several steps ahead, and allowing for setbacks that will ultimately allow them to achieve their focus, if not in a timely manner.

QuoteCan a Breed ever get freaked out by being accepted by their mount?

Half elves are good with animals. They may be delightfully surprised that a particularly exotic, or even usually hostile, animal has taken a liking to them. I don't think they would be "freaked out" though. They have the sense to know why people don't like them, and that animals are likely not capable of the slightly more complex thought it takes to be racist.

That's my opinion based on docs and general experience.

Quote from: Cutthroat on February 26, 2011, 09:34:37 PM
Quote from: lordcooper on February 26, 2011, 07:53:08 PM

I would say they would beg from members of their tribe if it was acceptable within the tribe, and then they may beg from other elves out of the tribe if they were willing to accept those who did give aid as a potential friend. In a sense, giving a prideful person gifts makes the person feel deserving of them.

QuoteWould an elf (possibly with a serious injury) allow another elf to carry them, or would that count as riding the other elf?  On a similar subject, must both skinnies be touching the ground/bed/whatever during sex?  What about baby elves?  Can they be carried by a parent, or is that shameful?

That's all okay.

I doubt an elf asking for help within a tribe would even be considered begging. I suspect that in most tribes, the more able members would be obligated to help the less fortunate without so much as asking. So long as the one doesn't jeopordize the whole, the good of one is the good of the whole.

I also suspect an elf would not mind being carried by another trusted member of their tribe. Sex question is lol. Elf babies probably don't start running out the womb.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

QuoteWould an elf beg?  If so, should they have any qualms about which races they will beg from?  I'm pretty sure they would see it as stealing, but how does the whole pride thing fit in here?

An elf would absolutely beg.  An elf that is well off might even beg just to avoid getting sids without any actual work and be pleased with themselves for such a scheme.  An elf would also steal, cheat mug and so on to get what they wanted, doing as little work as possible.  Would many people give to an elf?  Likely not.

This is really really pigeonholing the concept.  Elves don't ride mounts.  Is it possible one would be slung over one when they are unconscious/seriously wounded?  It's possible.  Elves are prideful and ritualistic not stupid and unpractical.  The idea of carrying a baby has nothing to do with the concept that elves don't need to ride mounts due to physical reasons.

QuoteSay a dwarf has the focus of preserving as much food as possible, would they willingly starve to death, or see that as losing the opportunity to prevent further food from being consumed (lol at anorexic stump)?  Would a dwarf (unthinkingly?) sacrifice their own life for a focus in general?  Are they capable of allowing/causing a temporary setback to their focus being completed, if it helps in the long term?

Again, these are -very- specific questions.  I'm not sure what you're trying to garner but you should take creative license on your character and RP them how you see fit.  Do I think someone would wittingly starve themselves?  Not really.  Obviously they can't continue their focus if they're dead.  I think you're taking things overly literal instead of seeing the game as a living, breathing atmosphere.

As far as setbacks everyone has failures.  The circumstance is going to different every time and only you can decide how to adapt.  Research the problem you are having or similar circumstances if you think it will inspire or help you.  For instance, when I played a gambling addict I researched the symptoms.  When I played a spice addict I researched withdraw symptoms.  When I played a pregnant character I researched pregnancy.  When I played a crafter I researched their craft... and so on.  There's really no need to be -this- specific I don't think.  Have confidence and take authority of your own character within the bounds of realism.

QuoteCan a Breed ever get freaked out by being accepted by their mount?

Not only can a breed get freaked out about their mount a human could too.  Just like there are all manner of weirdos, fears and preferences in the world the same can be done in Zalanthas.  Since some breeds are physically more inclined to look like elves, it's reasonable to presume they may pick up elven behaviors based on their heredity but more specifically their background and upbringing.

QuoteMost of these, I'm actually unsure of.  A couple I just find vaguely entertaining or awkward to ask.
Answers are appreciated, but feel free to add more questions about weird scenarios.

Don't be afraid of quirks, drama and so on.  I encourage you to explore playing characters with weaknesses and innate imperfections.  Do your best to play them realistically and enjoy yourself.

lordcooper, I think you should relax a bit when reading the docs :)

Suppose two dorfs, after spending many a year together, realize that they have the same focus, and it does not admit two victors (e.g. - be the greatest warrior evar). Should they duel it out, on the spot, Highlander-style? Or should they work together until the bitter end, knowing that they must eventually strike down their companion?

(I think this is meant to be another one of those funny threads.)

Quote from: Drayab on February 27, 2011, 05:36:15 AM
Suppose two dorfs, after spending many a year together, realize that they have the same focus, and it does not admit two victors (e.g. - be the greatest warrior evar). Should they duel it out, on the spot, Highlander-style? Or should they work together until the bitter end, knowing that they must eventually strike down their companion?

Neither. They go their separate ways, brooding about how they must destroy their sworn brother. They draw out meticulous plans--they cannot fail the first time, lest they themselves be destroyed. Minions are hired, plots set into motion, templars bribed, assassins primed...

Until one of them dies stupidly out in the wastes because their player got bored.

I don't think this is supposed to be one of those funny threads, just one with some amusing additions.
Quote from: hyzhenhok on February 27, 2011, 07:04:51 AMUntil one of them dies stupidly out in the wastes because their player got bored.
lol!
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

QuoteSuppose two dorfs, after spending many a year together, realize that they have the same focus, and it does not admit two victors (e.g. - be the greatest warrior evar). Should they duel it out, on the spot, Highlander-style? Or should they work together until the bitter end, knowing that they must eventually strike down their companion?

I once had a dwarf with that focus, and there was another dwarf around at the time with the same focus.

My dwarf completed his, the other dwarf knew he could never beat mine and took second place knowing all he had to do is outlive mine and he would have first.

Alright, I don't know if he thought that, but it did work out that way.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Drayab on February 27, 2011, 05:36:15 AM

Dwarvian focus is more of an intangible drive, one they might not even be aware of themselves much less chat about with others.  So unless their personality is paranoid, they'd easily work together until such a time when (subconsciously even) they become in each others way.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

Quote from: X-D on February 27, 2011, 10:23:01 AM
QuoteSuppose two dorfs, after spending many a year together, realize that they have the same focus, and it does not admit two victors (e.g. - be the greatest warrior evar). Should they duel it out, on the spot, Highlander-style? Or should they work together until the bitter end, knowing that they must eventually strike down their companion?

I once had a dwarf with that focus, and there was another dwarf around at the time with the same focus.

My dwarf completed his, the other dwarf knew he could never beat mine and took second place knowing all he had to do is outlive mine and he would have first.

Alright, I don't know if he thought that, but it did work out that way.

That's just, like, your opinion man.

Pretty sure there are some old school characters that exceed modern coded limits too.  Saturday afternoon Zeinaphiles, Blackwing, Kuraci and J'sparris come to mind.  Then again, characters out of the time of steel and high-magick aint exactly fair measuring.

Chances are certain sorcerer-kings are probably pretty vicious in melee too.  If someone can melt your brain while holding a fork are they the better warrior? ;-)

On topic: No one answer!  Maybe they would duel it out if they both thought that test was important to their journey to being the best.  Maybe they would think that having the other around to train with would make them stronger and stronger and stronger.  Maybe they think if this other dwarf is better/nearly as good as them, there might be more out there so he keeps them around as a constant measuring stick for his own advancement.  Focus like this (ones that absolutely cannot be accomplished no matter what X-D says!) can be handled anyway you want because any reaction is probably reasonable.

In other words: there are no paradox' with dwarven foci.  No combination will get you a blue-screen error.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Nah, easily accomplished, I never said what the measure was to qualify now did I?

The dwarf only need be best according to the standard he has set, That standard could be as low as fighting 10 tregil in a row without getting touched to winning in naked combat verses muk and Tek at the same time.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Damn this talk of Dwarves and their focus! Now I want to app for a Dwarf Cook and recruit a few others to play Dwarf Cooks all with the focus: Be the best cook ever! All so we can organize an ongoing series of RPT's every two weeks where we have an Iron Chef style cooking competition.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Best Idea I've heard in a long time...see, derails do have purpose!
Lizzie:

To do it well and recruit properly, they'd need to be family.

I think this makes the idea even cooler.
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

Quote from: Bushranger on February 27, 2011, 10:26:38 PM
Damn this talk of Dwarves and their focus! Now I want to app for a Dwarf Cook and recruit a few others to play Dwarf Cooks all with the focus: Be the best cook ever! All so we can organize an ongoing series of RPT's every two weeks where we have an Iron Chef style cooking competition.

win.

please, someone, make this happen.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!