See weight on view

Started by Fredd, December 23, 2010, 09:53:34 PM

Ok when you use the VIEW command at a vendor, you get something like.

" this chestpiece was crafted with the flesh of orphan gortoks and is very durable.
Gortok baby chestpiece can be worn on the torso
gortok baby chestpiece looks like it will fit you
you test the weight of gortok baby chestpiece and decide you can use it"

Could we get the weight of the items listen in the view command? I cant count how many times i've wanted to know if this piece of armor weighs less then what i'm wearing (aka: trying to lighten my load some)
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Spider on December 23, 2010, 10:08:42 PM
Read up on Skill_Value
You need to buy the item for that.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Nope. If you have the 'value' skill it will work when viewing.

Quote from: lepxii on December 24, 2010, 04:16:47 AM
Nope. If you have the 'value' skill it will work when viewing.

If this is correct, which I can't say for certain but I'll take your word on it. Why can I value without the skill of value (with 95ish percent accuracy) and then when I view an item in the shop it won't even display those (imperfect, but usable) results.

I have to agree with the poster, I've picked up some items before that suggested it to be lightweight and comfortably and the sleeves way 6 stones, while the plated armor sleeves weight 3-4 or something. While I'm more interested in an overhaul on the weights of various things, another change in viewing items would be welcome as well.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

never got why the shopkeeper or the salesman of the item couldn't tell you the weight of the item.

I've already posted about this so wont troll but..

If weight is so important then shopkeepers should be able to at least tell you the details of their goods (such as weight) when you buy them.

Or add scales into a shop..
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Dakota on December 24, 2010, 05:39:34 AM
never got why the shopkeeper or the salesman of the item couldn't tell you the weight of the item.

I've already posted about this so wont troll but..

If weight is so important then shopkeepers should be able to at least tell you the details of their goods (such as weight) when you buy them.

Or add scales into a shop..

Agreed. I didn't know that value added the weight to the view command. But it's odd. if I don't have the skill i can still "value" something i own to get a weight, they should add it to the merchants too.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Been suggested a few times.

Doesn't look like it's gonna be done anytime soon.

:/

Typo the various items In Game that you see are obviously over/under weight, containers capacity too high/low, missing a wear location, etc.
I've seen a lot of results from this.

Like the smoking pipe that use to hold 97 Kg and only weighed like 2. ;)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

If you have Skill_Value, the weight of the item in stones will be displayed for you, when you use the view command. Among other things that the skill_value would display if you just used it on an item in your inventory. This is a fact that I am %100 certain on. Take it as truth, for it is.

And why would Salarr ever have to tell the buyer anything. Not like they monopolize the entire weapons and armor industry or anything.
This goes for all the GMH's.

They'd probably say buy it or get the F out, you're wasting my time.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 24, 2010, 09:01:02 AM
Typo the various items In Game that you see are obviously over/under weight, containers capacity too high/low, missing a wear location, etc.

A Pub in Tuluk [E Quit]
A really nice place to enjoy His Radiance in His Ivory. It's chock full of noisy bards, merchants, hunters and what have you.
His Worn Old Bar is here.
His Bartender stands behind His Bar serving His Booze.

The foppish, well-to-do man gives you his groovy planets and stars pipe.

The foppish, well-to-do man says to you, in northern-accented sirihish:
   "Go on and take a hit, my friend! It is my very own special blend."

>l in groovy

Inside a groovy planets and stars pipe:
A few bricks of crumbly golden spice
A couple bricks of vicious black spice
A translucent green tablet

Eyebrows perking up as he gazes into the bowl, you say, in sirihish:
   "Krath damn, how did ya fit all this in here?!"

With a conspiratorial twinkle in his bloodshot eyes, the foppish well-to-do man says, in northern-accented sirihish:
   "Hehe, -magic-."

The lightly-armored soldier arrives from the east.
The nondescript Jihaen templar arrives from the east.

The lightly-armored soldier subdues the foppish well-to-do man despite his efforts to struggle away.

The foppish well-to-do man says, in northern-accented sirihish:
   "Oh dear."

Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on December 24, 2010, 12:35:57 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 24, 2010, 09:01:02 AM

A Pub in Tuluk [E Quit]
A really nice place to enjoy His Radiance in His Ivory. It's chock full of noisy bards, merchants, hunters and what have you.
His Worn Old Bar is here.
His Bartender stands behind His Bar serving His Booze.

The foppish, well-to-do man gives you his groovy planets and stars pipe.

The foppish, well-to-do man says to you, in northern-accented sirihish:
   "Go on and take a hit, my friend! It is my very own special blend."

>l in groovy

Inside a groovy planets and stars pipe:
A few bricks of crumbly golden spice
A couple bricks of vicious black spice
A translucent green tablet

Eyebrows perking up as he gazes into the bowl, you say, in sirihish:
   "Krath damn, how did ya fit all this in here?!"

With a conspiratorial twinkle in his bloodshot eyes, the foppish well-to-do man says, in northern-accented sirihish:
   "Hehe, -magic-."

The lightly-armored soldier arrives from the east.
The nondescript Jihaen templar arrives from the east.

The lightly-armored soldier subdues the foppish well-to-do man despite his efforts to struggle away.

The foppish well-to-do man says, in northern-accented sirihish:
   "Oh dear."

lol!  Must locate this pipe IG...

Here's how I see it....

The "view" command entails picking up the object, looking it over, etc., etc., etc., under the watchful eye of the shopkeeper and guards.

If that wasn't the case, then how could everyone (even without the value skill) tell how strong or weak a bow's pull is?

How could people -with- the value skill tell the weight of something? Getting an at least half-accurate estimate of weight involves more than just -looking- at something, after all.

The main problem here is that people without the value skill can get somewhat half-assed ballpark estimates of how much something weighs if it's in their inventory-- but they can't do this with the "view" command.

Which is kinda bullshit, because weight can be a -very- important thing for certain characters.

Nobody, absolutely nobody likes buying a piece of gear only to find it weighs around 60 stones and capable of bringing your encumbrance up to extremely heavy.

It wouldn't de-value (hur hur) the "value" skill in any way to allow people without the "value" skill to get an estimate at weight with the "view" command at a shop. Because they's still be half-assed ballpark estimates. The same half-assed ballpark estimates a guy without the "value" skill gets when he uses "value" on an object.

Anywho.... Yeah, that's it.

It seems like view should display weight, because it's essentially the coded version of "try before you buy." That is, examining an item's properties while browsing in a shop. Honestly, it already does measure weight to some degree by giving a rough "can you use it" estimate, at least for weapons. It gives draw strength too, like others have said. It seems like this should be something that anyone should be able to do, maybe with limited success, on their own when using the assess command. If the weight is really that important to the value skill then maybe have it be precise while assess' weight assessment is inaccurate and gives a range? Value seems valuable enough on its own without measuring weight, to be honest.

Quote from: Celest on December 25, 2010, 03:53:04 AM
Honestly, it already does measure weight to some degree by giving a rough "can you use it" estimate, at least for weapons.

True.... But I don't think that bit of coding there is reliable in any sense of weight detection.

I've seen weapons that say, "This is too heavy for you to use.", yet valued a weapon I used all the time with no problems to see it weighed -more- than the one allegedly too heavy for me to use.

I think the whole "this is too heavy for you to use/you test its weight and determine you can use it" code has more to do with how wieldy a weapon is-- as I've only really seen it on weapons clearly designed for half-giants, and on heftier weapons while playing a poor-strength character.

But then again, if I'm testing the weight of a weapon to see if I can use it in combat, I should be able to guess at how many stones it weighs.

December 25, 2010, 05:30:11 AM #17 Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 05:41:24 AM by Celest
Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 25, 2010, 03:59:07 AM
But then again, if I'm testing the weight of a weapon to see if I can use it in combat, I should be able to guess at how many stones it weighs.

That's my take on it. The message for weapons seems to be inaccurate at best, but I think that's good. It does give you some idea on how well your character can wield itl. I've had standard weapons return a "too heavy" message when viewing them, which made sense for the character(s) in question, so I do know that it's more precise than the armor equivalent. Armor does return similar messages, but the usefulness of those messages is essentially nil because they don't seem to measure whether or not you can use it effectively, but whether or not you can wear it at all, more like the echoes on size.

Like I said before, it would be nice to just give some vague weight estimate to people without the value skill. I would prefer a numerical range, personally, but simply modifying the armor use-echos to be somewhat more descriptive would be nifty. It can be kept very vague without stepping on the toes of the value skill, while still giving information that is actually useful to the player. Example:

view light.clothing

You test its weight and decide that you could wear it without difficulty.
It looks like it would fit you.

view light.armor

You test its weight and decide that you could easily wear it.

view medium.armor

You test its weight and decide that you could wear it.

view heavy.armor

You test its weight and decide that you could wear it with some difficulty.

Sorry if there's anything too specific in there!

Edit: after thinking about it, I would like a vague indicator like this better than a vague numerical value. It's less objective, which is good, because it leads to less mechanic-manipulation. It's also relative to the character viewing it, which makes more RP sense. It would be weird for a half giant and his Bynner buddy to be shopping, and both measuring the weight of things with the same ease because the print is numerical instead of subjective.

they could even prefex it with the favorite term of every salesman. "Around"

View gorilla chest vest

This vest  is made with real gorilla chest.
This item can be worn on the torso
It looks like it will fit you.
It weighs around 3 stones

AROUND means +/- a stone or two maybee. Or whatever the error ratio of using value" when unskilled. This lets the user know, it's a guess. Or maybee, for RP purposes. It's the salesman saying "Oh yeah, you can wear this, it's just around 3 stones. See my vest!"

Why not just the message you get when you pick stuff up?

That appears very light.
That appears light.
That appears to be no problem.
That appears heavy, but manageable.

Value is still useful and you will know if said item is "heavy", relatively speaking.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Quote from: Marc on December 25, 2010, 12:38:47 PM

That appears very light.
That appears light.

Value is still useful and you will know if said item is "heavy", relatively speaking.

That doesn't help TO much. but it would help more.

Quote from: Marc on December 25, 2010, 12:38:47 PM

That appears very light.
That appears light.

Seeing weight with the "view" command would in no way make "value" less useful as a skill.

It would kill alot of frustration, however.

Specially for my shrewd desert skinny.
You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.