Just Returned, making Red Storm PC.

Started by original, December 18, 2010, 11:31:16 PM

I just returned and am going to make a character in Red Storm, I have been gone for about eight months and will be reading news. Any chance anyone can tell me important things I should take into account before making my PC?
Quote from: Olgaris
Entering the Labyrinth is definitely not illegal.
Being a desert elf is not illegal.
A Templar can kill you for both.

Why Red Storm? Allanak is more active and fun by far!  :P

Welcome back, though.  8)

You can for forage for silt deposits in silty areas.

You can also forage for a certain thing.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

IF I were not totally loving my role, I would make another PC in Storm.
Stormers count for about 1/4 of my roles. :D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

If you're returning to the game and want to get back in the swing of things, I gotta back up the sentiment to play in Nak or Tuluk.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Why do the same people a)complain about no PCs in storm and b)tell people not to play in Storm?

:(
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Well, you probably know this but Red Storm generally is not always a center of bustling PC activity. You may get lucky though.

You may want to read up on a recently added skill, direction sense.

Besides that and the new changes to foraging (you can 'forage <category> for <item keyword>' to look more specifically for something) that's all I can think of.

According to GDB rumor-mongering, there are fewer Red Storm halflings. So, if you were going to have Silt-Sea pirate halflings in your background, you may want to scale back  their influence on your character.

Also, for FW: I hereby promise that my next character will be a Red Stormer. I don't plan on my current dying soon, though ... so it may be a long while.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

There's a huge ass volcano outside of Allanak that wasn't there a year or two ago. There's something on the history page about it, but not a lot of info. STill trying to catch up on common IG knowledge after coming back myself.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

some humanoid body fell from the sky around that area and smashed to the ground so hard that no one could identify its race.

yeah that's on the bulletin board though, in the tavern there. i just wanted to say that. isn't that an awesome thing to say?
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Not all of us have direct access to the Allanaki bulletin boards – some of us don't visit the city, for whatever reason (for example, we're members of hostile factions or such.)

Quote from: jstorrie on December 20, 2010, 02:10:00 AM
Not all of us have direct access to the Allanaki bulletin boards – some of us don't visit the city, for whatever reason (for example, we're members of hostile factions or such.)
She was talking about Red Storm.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Red Storm is one of the coolest locations in the game. Just wanted to say.

Like FW, a lot of my PC's are Red Stormers. My next concept that's brewing in my head certainly includes it. Trick is to actually become a Stormer. Not an indie hunter/grebber/raider, whatever, but the spice addicted sifter, worn fingered tailor, or the next pioneer of Storm type cuisine.  The Sand Lord has a place for everyone. He's like Santy Claws.  The giver of dreams.

I love Red Storm. it just seems next to impossible for me to make a new character that can actually survive there, without joining Kurac or something. I must be missing something along those lines (adding those last words because I KNOW that I miss almost everything that happens in zalanthas. events where, if you're not there, you just don't know and never will.)

Did anyone else get the feeling, after reading documentation, that Red Storm -might- be the fairest (in terms of law and the foreign concept of democracy) of zalanthas?

I haven't been everywhere obviously but it seems like there's a don't ask, don't tell, policy that gives that place some real judical breathing room.

and i love how creepy the silt is.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Spider on December 23, 2010, 12:55:24 AM
Like FW, a lot of my PC's are Red Stormers. My next concept that's brewing in my head certainly includes it. Trick is to actually become a Stormer. Not an indie hunter/grebber/raider, whatever, but the spice addicted sifter, worn fingered tailor, or the next pioneer of Storm type cuisine.  The Sand Lord has a place for everyone. He's like Santy Claws.  The giver of dreams.

Who says a "Stormer" can't be an indie hunter/grebber/raider?  Red Storm has been known as a notable place that raiders (as well as other undesirables go to).  I always imagined the place as Mos Esile from Star Wars (you know, "a wretched hive of scum and villainy".  I attribute their no nonsense approach to law enforcement to be because of that.

Quote from: EldritchOrigins on December 23, 2010, 09:22:23 AM

Who says a "Stormer" can't be an indie hunter/grebber/raider?  Red Storm has been known as a notable place that raiders (as well as other undesirables go to).  I always imagined the place as Mos Esile from Star Wars (you know, "a wretched hive of scum and villainy".  I attribute their no nonsense approach to law enforcement to be because of that.

Of course they can. But then when it really comes down to it your just another Nakki living in Storm.  There is a bit of grey area with the raiding, but good luck pulling it off.

Quote from: Spider on December 23, 2010, 12:22:44 PM

Of course they can. But then when it really comes down to it your just another Nakki living in Storm.  There is a bit of grey area with the raiding, but good luck pulling it off.

I guess indie hunter/grebber/raiders up north are just Nakkis living in Tuluk, then.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

red storm is officially the "Xaviers institute for special children"
'nuff said.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: HavokBlue on December 24, 2010, 10:02:19 PM
Quote from: Spider on December 23, 2010, 12:22:44 PM

I guess indie hunter/grebber/raiders up north are just Nakkis living in Tuluk, then.

I don't see how that follows but okay...

If you've ever played in Red Storm you'd notice that folks that tend to be around there are in fact Nakki's living in Storm. They are hunters and grebbers mostly. Now in Tuluk, many hunters and grebbers are from Tuluk and live in Tuluk. Tuluk is a main city, with lots of trade. Red Storm is a small city, with very little trade.

Also, many PC's with Red Storm origins tend to spend most of their time in Allanak. Why? It's close, and it has lots of trade.

I've spent a lot of time in Red Storm, and made many different types of PCs. Some traveled outside, others spent all their time in and around. In all those PCs I've only ever met one who spent most of their time in the City. They were not from the City, and often enough traveled abroad. Why? To conduct business. Why? Because there is not much business in Storm. Kudos to whoever made this PC. They actually made a legitimate effort to sustain some sort of Storm RP.

See how that follows?

My suggestion was to do it right by Storm, and not be the typical. It's very unique and rewarding RP.

I'm playing a Red Stormer, too. Come outside the walls and find my character. She's big and black with a pretty set of mandibles. I'd love to play with your PC...and its corpse!
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 19, 2010, 09:36:33 AM
Why do the same people a)complain about no PCs in storm and b)tell people not to play in Storm?

:(

Quote from: Cutthroat on December 19, 2010, 09:49:52 AM
Well, you probably know this but Red Storm generally is not always a center of bustling PC activity. You may get lucky though.

I wonder if this is correlate to how much we tell people NOT to play in Storm.

Go play in Storm!  We need more PCs there, because it currently isn't a hotspot of PC activity!  Huzzah!
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

Quote from: Talia on December 26, 2010, 02:36:10 PM
I'm playing a Red Stormer, too. Come outside the walls and find my character. She's big and black with a pretty set of mandibles. I'd love to play with your PC...and its corpse!

I've met that character. She had me over for dinner once.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Watch out, she plays off-peak, too. I thought my Stormer would be safe for some late-night grebbing; who would've thought that the 1 player currently in the world other than myself would also be in Red Storm?

Quote from: hyzhenhok on December 28, 2010, 06:42:08 AM

Watch out, she plays off-peak, too. I thought my Stormer would be safe for some late-night grebbing; who would've thought that the 1 player currently in the world other than myself would also be in Red Storm?

Murphy thought so.

Obviously, you didn't make a sacrifice to the God of Perversity.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.