guard sucks

Started by Titania, December 04, 2010, 08:29:15 PM

So there's only two people?  Why not have A, B, C & D since this is apparently some multi-organization RPT.  Let's say that A & B are clan Y and C & D are clan Z.  No matter who is guarding the direction, there is another person of the same clan that can lead while the others follow and they'll get past the guarder.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Meh.

>shout GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WAY!

Problem solved.

December 10, 2010, 06:45:18 PM #27 Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:49:18 PM by X-D
No they will not.

The poster is saying, and correctly, that if I belong to the byn, and I have a PC following me who is NOT byn but is some other clan, I can walk right past the byn NPC guards with them in tow.

But that is because of the script or flag being on the NPC, likely the guardian flag, which is not the same as the skill.

If I take a PC of my clan, or a NPC and have them guard east, then either of them will act the same and allow me through but not somebody from outside the clan even if they are following me.

The OP wants the same ability for PC and NPC guard skill as the NPCs with the guardian flag have.

I like the idea, it could be done easily and with a simple toggle so you could switch between current guard mode and a mode that would allow people through and whoever is following them no matter what clan they belong to.

Though I would add a 3rd mode, call it guard all, in which you will block anybody including clan members...something that would have been very useful hundreds of times over in my years of play.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Ah, never really encountered that one.  Strange.  I always thought PCs would allow all that are following as well.

...and Moe, I understand what they're saying now.  Doing that mean dropping guard on the exit to allow ANYONE through, not just those they want to let through.  They want to be able to prevent those that they want to keep while allowing everyone through.  It sounded like someone wanted some complicated 'temporary clan' sort of thing to allow people through, and I think that is unnecessary, but allowing allow those following through would work for me.

We wouldn't have this problem if everyone was an assassin.

I say remove all guilds except assassin, and all subguilds except hunter and rebel--problem solved.  No one will ever be able to successfully guard an exit against a PC ever again, as long as you sneak 24/7.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Only because not one character would have the guard skill, not because of sneak.  Stealth only gets past guard because people they don't perceive you, not because stealth counters guard.  Perception skills counter stealth skills.

Quote from: Marshmellow on December 10, 2010, 09:00:00 PM
Only because not one character would have the guard skill, not because of sneak.  Stealth only gets past guard because people they don't perceive you, not because stealth counters guard.  Perception skills counter stealth skills.

Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

A ranger with the guard skill is an exceptional guard even against assassins is what Marsh is saying, I've blocked many a shadow with mine.

IE, stealth does nothing against guard only the perception of the guards.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I believe the solution is to have one clan leader temporarily clan all participants. It may take a couple of minutes, but it solves problems.
Alea iacta est

You can also run.  The game even tells you this when you fail getting past a guard.  It might look silly, but if you have RP justification, this is a temporary work-around.