Subjective sdescs

Started by X-D, December 01, 2010, 04:57:01 PM

I think I could tell the difference between an unusually fat elephant and an unusally skinny one, same for tall and short.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I'm fine with subjective terms so long as they are related to physical attributes that aren't related to opinion.  A 'titanic halfling'?  Good.  A 'colossal half-giant'?  Sure.  A' beautiful human'?  No.  A 'dour/gloomy/grim person'?  Not in my book.  That's all I have to say.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

So, this thread has just been a subjective(hehehe) argument where people hash out between one another what is acceptable and what is not in a sdesc.  This doesn't do any good, that I can see, for anyone.

If you've got a problem with it, then you should state the case(this is done), and then state a solution(this is not done).

I'll start with a subjective bit, because why not, I'm a huge person in real life.  I walk through a crowd and I've got broader shoulders and stand a head or more above most other people.  When I see another person doing the same, I think they are big.  When I see someone who comes up to my waist (sorry 5'ers out there :( )  I think they are short.  Wider then me:  muscular/fat, and I can see a bean pole or wiry person just as well as the next.  As a final thought, almost everywhere I go, especially when meeting new people or in idle conversation, the phrase, "Wow you're tall" is repeated often. 

Writing my own sdesc, I do not think 'immense' or 'towering' would be inaccurate.  'The towering, blond-haired man' would be a fine written cue to make people think of me.

Now on to the problem of the thread.

I've had PC's with stygian(I generally agreed with how the staff member rejecting it handled the situation.  Stygian is an un-zalanthian word) and towering (max height for race character) rejected.  I saw a towering PC spawn literally, in the same room as me, as I did, out of chargen.  assess -v = he's as tall as you.  I felt just a tad miffed, and a tad of hilarity in the event.

So, rather then start a GDB thread that won't go anywhere, unless suggestions on how to handle the issue are offered, I sent a mail asking what's up with that.  Moral of the story:  different staff, different opinions on what's acceptable, and in a far wider range of topics then sdescs.  If you have a problem with something you see in game, send in a request(this is the solution, by the way). 

There are other possible solutions, such as developing a DB populated by senior staff-acknowledged unacceptable words to check sdescs against, but really, the cost/benefit in such undertakings seems disheartening, at best, and there will still likely be grandfathering to an extent.

So yeah.  See a problem, send word along.