Choose your own ending!

Started by Sam, October 20, 2010, 06:37:00 PM

A post by Gunnerblaster gave me an idea.

Would it be possible to code mugging by NPCs?

Imagine this, you are out in the hard streets of the 'Rinth. Living day to day. You don't have much of anything, everything you have, you aren't willing to give up. On a dark, warm night this scenario happens:
look
A dark and scary alley [NESWU]
This is a dark alley. Among it's attributes is the various places to jump out from and
mug an unsuspecting round earred money bags, or hide from a marauding half giant.
A tall and shadowy figure arrives from the east.
Holding a triple bladed kris to your neck, a tall and shadowy figure shouts directly at you, in sirihish, "Give me 30 coins, or you can fucking die, round earred sum'a bitch."

give 30 coins figure

A tall and shadowy figure disappears into the shadows after taking the coin from you.

-or-

flee
You attempt to flee and fail!
A tall and shadowy figure cuts your throat.

You feint from blood loss after a few mintues.

-or-

kill figure
You try to attack a tall and shadowy figure, and succeed!
You swing at a dark and shadowy figure and miss!
You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.

+ 1
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

I think players handle this well enough.

Unless you mean as an alternative to NPCs that attack first and ask questions later.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: Sam on October 20, 2010, 06:37:00 PM
"Give me 30 coins, or you can fucking die, round earred sum'a bitch."

I hate when people derail a proposal because of syntax or problems with the details.

That being said, you got it wrong.  Elves aren't racist.
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

Quote from: jriley on October 20, 2010, 08:10:26 PM
Quote from: Sam on October 20, 2010, 06:37:00 PM
"Give me 30 coins, or you can fucking die, round earred sum'a bitch."

I hate when people derail a proposal because of syntax or problems with the details.

Damn, somebody better tell that one tribe that their docs are against the docs.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I like this idea as an alternative to NPCs that will attack you in the Labyrinth. I think this kind of code could be extended to new concepts like NPC raiders out on the wastes, and perhaps even muggers in the commoner quarters of both cities that come out at night. That extension would give the added benefit of giving PC soldiers something else to do during patrols. But the idea alone works just fine, too.

I like this idea.

And as an aside,
Quote from: jriley on October 20, 2010, 08:10:26 PM

What? Anyone can be racist. The What You Know - Labyrinth documentation describes well the nature of the relationship between the west and east sides. As such, it would make a lot of sense if this idea made NPCs focus on a difference in race (or observed race for half-elves) before deciding to mug some unlucky wanderer.

Nah.. I'm not on this wagon just yet.. If an NPC rinther skumbag has the opportunity to gank you and you take everything you have; they're not going going to stop and give you a list of options to get out of it.

Just looking at it from the NPC's perspective.
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Looking at it from a RL perspective, I wouldn't want to kill every skumbag when I could just as easily get their coin and leave. If you kill someone, their family will have a grudge against you that will only be settled with the payment of blood.

If you take their coins, you may just get forgotten.

This is an alternative to NPCs mugging/raiding you.

You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.

There's something like this in-game already, though it's a bit simpler (and probably more Zalanthan) than that to reflect the harshness of the area in question. 
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on October 21, 2010, 08:26:25 AM
There's something like this in-game already, though it's a bit simpler (and probably more Zalanthan) than that to reflect the harshness of the area in question. 

This.

Exactly this.

Though I -do- wish there was a little more delay between <redacted> and <redacted> so you can give <redacted> to <redacted> before <redacted>.

Also, I wish this code were extended to more of those mean o'le NPCs in said area.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 21, 2010, 08:51:27 AM
Though I -do- wish there was a little more delay between <redacted> and <redacted> so you can give <redacted> to <redacted> before <redacted>.

Also, I wish this code were extended to more of those mean o'le NPCs in said area.
I wish there was a delay for NPC's, period.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.