Picking on New Players, Fair or Unfair?

Started by jriley, October 08, 2010, 07:42:24 PM

Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 29, 2010, 05:03:47 AM
Quote from: Erythil on December 29, 2010, 04:59:31 AM
I know two people who quit playing ARM because their newbie character was raped within 10 hours of creation.

Just sayin'...

I think I had at least three characters WTFpwned within ten hours of finding this game....

Being killed is a bit different than being raped, don't you think?

Quote from: Erythil on December 29, 2010, 09:21:05 PM
I know two people who quit playing ARM because their newbie character was raped within 10 hours of creation.

Just sayin'...

I think I had at least three characters WTFpwned within ten hours of finding this game....

I can indeed see why that would be off-putting. I've been playing for a while and still feel awkward around the consent rules...so soon after character creation of my first, I was probably experiencing the delights of terradin poisoning for the first time ... that was intense enough. Rape would not be good.

Just sayin'...

I think I'd prefer my character getting raped to killed, by quite a lot.
They're still alive and stuff that way.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Just sayin'...

Oh.... I thought you meant like, raped... In the back....

With a knife.

But in that case, "consent" rules are there for a reason.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 30, 2010, 01:03:05 AM

Just sayin'...

With a knife.

Yeah, I thought that too.

but if someone doesn't reply OOC shouldn't one just lay off the molesting? but not the killing?

i remember being a new player and not knowing the Way commands or OOC or even tell.

i'd read about allanak, the say command, and the emote command, along with race and guild stuff before i started playing. this method of preparedness did NOT go far.

wondering: are there orgies in armageddon? like, official orgy parties held by the filthy rich or unwashed poor? reminiscient of the romans; would not surprise me.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Cindy42 on December 31, 2010, 07:07:05 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 30, 2010, 01:03:05 AM

Just sayin'...

With a knife.

Yeah, I thought that too.

but if someone doesn't reply OOC shouldn't one just lay off the molesting? but not the killing?

Well, if someone romps along with the idea of raping -and- killing your character.... You, the player, can cut out the "rape" part out of it entirely by just typing, "ooc no dood, no raeps".

And if they don't stop, then report it to staff.

But the killing part?

It's very much a bitch move to kill another character because their player didn't consent to rape.

But if they'd planned on killing said character anyway.... Well....

It happens.

Quote from: Cindy42 on December 31, 2010, 07:07:05 AMi remember being a new player and not knowing the Way commands or OOC or even tell.

i'd read about allanak, the say command, and the emote command, along with race and guild stuff before i started playing. this method of preparedness did NOT go far.

Heh.... I remember poring over every helpfile and document for -days- before I finally got everything down. x]

I agree.... Things could be re-organized to make it easier for new players to catch on.

Quote from: Cindy42 on December 31, 2010, 07:07:05 AMwondering: are there orgies in armageddon? like, official orgy parties held by the filthy rich or unwashed poor? reminiscient of the romans; would not surprise me.

Find out IC. ;)

If you have no problem roleplaying a rape victim, then you probably aren't doing it right.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on December 31, 2010, 10:38:50 AMIf you have no problem roleplaying a rape victim, then you probably aren't doing it right.
No kidding.  Rape victims have serious issues, and I don't think any of us (that haven't been raped) really can understand that one.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

All good lessons have endings.  Yes, avoiding death is often good... except if newbie would be better off creating a new PC rather than having their current PC being subjected to more and more hardships for reason the player doesn't understand.   That is, if Lady Sids can brutally "instruct"  Newbie PC the error of his ways and then they both go on with life -- great, no need to kill Newbie PC.  If, however, Lady Sids is simply going to continue to make life hard for Newbie PC or turn others against Newbie PC  than the Player won't see it so much as a lesson but rather the game being too hard/non-fun.

As for the whole rape thing, I think it depends on the situation.  In game, sex is sometimes used to gain power/favor  or as legitimate business  -- and PCs which take these views should have some understanding that rape is merely the flip-side of the coin to all that is profited by sex.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

July 16, 2011, 03:37:37 AM #85 Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 07:44:40 PM by Karieith
From the viewpoint of a total newbie:

Sorry for the Necropost, my toon is not a Necromancer.

This is my first character on Arm EVER, and the first time I have ever played this kind of MUD. Maybe many of you Veterans have forgotten what that is like? Even though I've played MUDs in the past this one is incredibly different, so much in fact that I have to take a moment to really applaud the design. From the first moments in the game I felt absolutely lost and vulnerable. I wandered around, had all my money stolen, and y'know I took it in good stride. The game is set up to be a brutal horrible place. I found the bar, played my smart-mouthy, belligerent character, got pummeled by Byn and it was FUN.

So far it's a good balance, OOC I've been given a lot of advice and reminders and I need it, it's a LOT to learn. However, IC I'm still being treated strictly and harshly and held accountable for my character's idiotic actions. I still have no idea how to earn money, or how to gain skill, or how to farm crafting materials and I'm not even sure my character has any friends.

And yet I've almost played this game for 48 hours straight, so there is something about the game. I am one of those newbs that will probably need a lot more coaching before I ever get a brain in my head and without a mentor this game has a terrible learning curb. If some incredibly vague stuff hadn't happened which should definitely not be quoted further down this post my very first character would be dead. I cannot express the importance of newbie mentoring, especially when they are just starting out and have absolutely no idea what they're doing.

Distrust was the only thing I didn't need to be taught, entirely because it is stated in every third doc. Am I the only one who was like this?
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

July 16, 2011, 03:44:12 AM #87 Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 08:14:02 AM by Tzurahro
Quote from: Karieith on July 16, 2011, 03:37:37 AM
So please, be kind, and if you see <redacted by Tzurahro's GDB gnomes> feel free to train her and give her money  ;)

I really hope you're not referring to someone who's alive in the game right now, that isn't allowed.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Cind on July 16, 2011, 03:44:12 AM
tl;dr I'm a massive newbie who has no idea what I'm doing and needs to lurk more.

I really hope you're not referring to someone who's alive in the game right now, that isn't allowed.

I've edited mine, please edit yours. I am that brand new, thank you.

Content post: Some newbies are not as chill as this one (me) and may actually get their precious little feelings hurt, sob, cry, swear vendettas, drama up the forums and game with their angst. Fun stuff that,  I'm pretty sure those types of player are better off NOT involved in the game, does that mean be righteous jerks and filter them out? Probably not, even though I'm all good, I'd Ideally I'd prefer patience and kindness, but y'know, I also want super powers so...

Quote from: Karieith on July 16, 2011, 04:03:17 AM
Quote from: Cind on July 16, 2011, 03:44:12 AM
tl;dr I'm a massive newbie who has no idea what I'm doing and needs to lurk more.

I've edited mine, please edit yours. I am that brand new, thank you.

Content post: Some newbies are not as chill as this one (me) and may actually get their precious little feelings hurt, sob, cry, swear vendettas, drama up the forums and game with their angst. Fun stuff that,  I'm pretty sure those types of player are better off NOT involved in the game, does that mean be righteous jerks and filter them out? Probably not, even though I'm all good, I'd Ideally I'd prefer patience and kindness, but y'know, I also want super powers so...

Hai there new player! :D

Good to see ya, and hope you're enjoying your stay! ;D

If you're thinking you might need to hit up a mentor or somesuch, might I re-direct you to this here link: http://www.armageddon.org/intro/helpers.php

These people will help you learn the game, and hopefully set you up with an intravenous line of Crackageddon.

Someone willing to play a dwarven female! Fuck yes!

Tell your friends. I was sad the Dwarven Female thread got locked. TO AVOID SUCH A FATE HERE.

Best way to keep new players around is not to kill them, or sodomize them (I put the O my! in sodomy by the way) though I hear rape is the raider handshake. But, rather, role-play with them, a lot of new players haven't even felt their characters out yet and just need that interaction with others to really help them piece together their concept.

Welcome to the game.
Sleep well.
Most likely kill you in the morning.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on July 16, 2011, 08:00:01 AM
Welcome to the game.
Sleep well.
Most likely kill you in the morning.

dibs on the boots.
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Marshmellow on December 31, 2010, 11:33:43 AM
Quote from: Is Friday on December 31, 2010, 10:38:50 AMIf you have no problem roleplaying a rape victim, then you probably aren't doing it right.
No kidding.  Rape victims have serious issues, and I don't think any of us (that haven't been raped) really can understand that one.
Reactions to rape vary, a lot. If you put some thought into your RP, chances are it is a realistic reaction.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Tangent
Never mind. This needs it's own thread.

Hey! Welcome to Arm. You sound like you're going to do very well.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Also, if you are truly struggling OOCly, while you're trying to stay in character and interact with someone else, you -can- use the OOC command.

As long as it's not a pretty busy, intense scene going on, it's very likely whoever you're interacting with, will be happy to pause the RP and help you with syntax, or point you in the direction of a help file, or explain that having a sword in your inventory won't have the same impact as actually wielding the sword, which is why your character got SO badly wtfpwned by the tregil.  :o

If it's an intense scene going on, or there's a lot of people interacting, it would probably be most beneficial to -you- to remove your character from the scene so you can check the help files uninterrupted. Unless of course the scene is intense because a templar is questioning you about something. IN a case like that, the only thing you really -can- do, is use the ooc command to just let them know you're a clueless noob and need direction. And hope their players will RP the scene out in a way that explains ICly, what's going on, and why so that you will learn OOCly, what to expect when these things happen.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Barzalene on July 16, 2011, 09:27:11 AM
Tangent
Never mind. This needs it's own thread.

Hey! Welcome to Arm. You sound like you're going to do very well.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Good advice from Lizzie again.

Targeting New Players to take advantage of their Code Ignorance - Stomp-able Offense.  Unfair.
Treating New Players as Normal - Recommended.  Fair.

When screwing over a New Player, do it just the same as with any other player.... except slower perhaps to demonstrate the exact techniques and reasons in the world-sense for their boning.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I need your clothes, your boots and your war beetle.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!