Picking on New Players, Fair or Unfair?

Started by jriley, October 08, 2010, 07:42:24 PM

Quote from: Karieith on July 16, 2011, 04:03:17 AM
Quote from: Cind on July 16, 2011, 03:44:12 AM
Quote from: Karieith on July 16, 2011, 03:37:37 AM
tl;dr I'm a massive newbie who has no idea what I'm doing and needs to lurk more.

I really hope you're not referring to someone who's alive in the game right now, that isn't allowed.

I've edited mine, please edit yours. I am that brand new, thank you.

Content post: Some newbies are not as chill as this one (me) and may actually get their precious little feelings hurt, sob, cry, swear vendettas, drama up the forums and game with their angst. Fun stuff that,  I'm pretty sure those types of player are better off NOT involved in the game, does that mean be righteous jerks and filter them out? Probably not, even though I'm all good, I'd Ideally I'd prefer patience and kindness, but y'know, I also want super powers so...

Yeesh, sorry. I'm actually quite nice compared to most Arm players, and I wasn't trying to be mean at all---- you'll see what I mean by the end of the month.

See how no one came to defend either of us?

Again, you'll see by the end of the month. :)

Hehe, someone thought I was being mean :D I find that funny.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

What Lizzie said.

Also, shoot me a PM if you have any questions I can help with, or if you have several questions for me or one of the other Helpers, here is a link to our helperchat: http://www.armageddon.org/intro/helpers.php

If there isn't anyone on Helperchat, feel free to PM me with a suitable time and I'll try my best to be available. This offer also applies to everyone.

Quote from: Cind on July 16, 2011, 05:20:01 PM
Quote from: Karieith on July 16, 2011, 04:03:17 AM
Quote from: Cind on July 16, 2011, 03:44:12 AM
Quote from: Karieith on July 16, 2011, 03:37:37 AM
tl;dr I'm a massive newbie who has no idea what I'm doing and needs to lurk more.

I really hope you're not referring to someone who's alive in the game right now, that isn't allowed.

I've edited mine, please edit yours. I am that brand new, thank you.

Content post: Some newbies are not as chill as this one (me) and may actually get their precious little feelings hurt, sob, cry, swear vendettas, drama up the forums and game with their angst. Fun stuff that,  I'm pretty sure those types of player are better off NOT involved in the game, does that mean be righteous jerks and filter them out? Probably not, even though I'm all good, I'd Ideally I'd prefer patience and kindness, but y'know, I also want super powers so...

Yeesh, sorry. I'm actually quite nice compared to most Arm players, and I wasn't trying to be mean at all---- you'll see what I mean by the end of the month.

See how no one came to defend either of us?

Again, you'll see by the end of the month. :)

Hehe, someone thought I was being mean :D I find that funny.

Another tip, don't complain about the violation of female sex rights. It doesn't matter what the subject is. Just don't. You don't want someone to call you an attention whore for complaining about it on the complaints thread and then follow your conversations on the board, trying to start arguments with you. But I think that's pretty much the worst that can happen. Aardwolf is so bad with that that i stopped playing there.

And if anyone says gays do not deserve to be equal, I will outright attack them viciously should I see it, so there's that, there.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Gays do not deserve to be equal.  Some are better than others.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: lordcooper on July 16, 2011, 09:42:40 PM
Gays do not deserve to be equal.  Some are better than others.

you people are cracking me up today!

My PC isn't gay. Can he/she still be equal?
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on July 16, 2011, 10:15:42 PM

It depends, how equal would you like them to be?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: lordcooper on July 16, 2011, 10:17:46 PM
Quote from: BleakOne on July 16, 2011, 10:15:42 PM

It depends, how equal would you like them to be?

More equal than others.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Are the new players gaymen?
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quit derailing.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

The way I see it, by killing new players and taking there coin you're actually helping to toughen them up and getting them into the right mindset.    8)
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

I too like to kill new players. First I like to message them on AIM, then you know, lull them into thinking I'm harmless. Then lure them to an APM or maybe if they live close enough out for coffee. Then I sap them and drag them into the bushes and slit their throats.

That'll teach em.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

That's creepy Barz.

Us normal people just fly across the world to live in another Armer's house for a week or so, staying up late and creeping into other people's rooms after they've gone to sleep to watch them, and lick their faces.

Like I did to Mansa.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Yeah, but did he learn anything from that? I bet he slept right through it.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Being picked on as a newbie is what hooked me onto this game.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

I've been playing for over 3 years and I'm still a newbie.

Quote from: Barzalene on July 21, 2011, 07:51:03 PM
I too like to kill new players. First I like to message them on AIM, then you know, lull them into thinking I'm harmless. Then lure them to an APM or maybe if they live close enough out for coffee. Then I sap them and drag them into the bushes and slit their throats.

That'll teach em.

I like your style.

I read the GDB before I started, so I was ABSOLUTELY PARANOID when I actually go into the game.

"OMG! That dude over there just whispered something to that person at the table! THEN THE WHISPEREE LOOKED AT ME!
IBETTERGOEXPLORING YESTHATISAGOODIDEA"

I lasted a few RL days before being killed by a mob, but a few more funny paranoid "HE'S GONNA STEAL MY (crappy newbie) STUFF!" things happened before that.
I'm GMT+8, 12 hours ahead of EST.

Quote from: Yoman on July 22, 2011, 11:38:07 AM
I read the GDB before I started, so I was ABSOLUTELY PARANOID when I actually go into the game.

Yeah, I think ARM players are actually a lot nicer than we sound, and friendlier to newbies. The GDB is full of posturing.

Not including me, of course. As a staffer, it's my job to terrorize you. But really, it hurts me more than it hurts you.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Talia on July 22, 2011, 11:47:40 AM

Yeah, I think ARM players are actually a lot nicer than we sound, and friendlier to newbies. The GDB is full of posturing.

Not including me, of course. As a staffer, it's my job to terrorize you. But really, it hurts me more than it hurts you.

Until you die.

Then it hurts you more.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Back when I was a newbie, it seemed as though everyone was an equal opportunity newb-murderer. I'm of the opinion that death and re-application is a learning experience. A new player keeping their character for a year learns different things as opposed to a new player that dies every month or so, popping new characters in different places of all races, sizes, shapes, attitudes and affiliations.

I've lived it, and so I think that picking on new players if it's IC to do so is fair. Crush them utterly and they may just thank you later.
Keepin' it dusty,
                     Mr.B

EvilRoeSlade: "There's something seriously wrong when I say aide and everyone hears whore."

If there is an IC reason, within respectable limits, then I'm all for messing with the new players - that's part of the arm experience, afterall. They get some roleplay and "educated" in the way of how things work in Zalanthas and we get our own fair share of joy out of the experience (maybe it's just me but I enjoy helping new players out).

But if it's specifically targeting new players due to their lack of how the game works - Then you're just a dick.

It's as simple as that.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Gunnerblaster is wise

I've known an instance where a player acted as though they were a newbie to have an easier time, though they were not. The "newbies are hands-off" attitude then, can be metagamed, and that example is why I treat newbie characters much like I would any other character. Sure, I may be more inclined to give directions, or if asked to show a location like the bazaar, then sure. But extra  special treatment isn't usually in the cards.

There are helpers for newbie players, a plethora of documentation, and generally the playerbase is willing to help a really new player out. Noobs have it good. One should only really pick on a Newbie once they have much better boots then you do, unless they pay you some footwear insurance.
Keepin' it dusty,
                     Mr.B

EvilRoeSlade: "There's something seriously wrong when I say aide and everyone hears whore."

A year+ ago I joined Arma and I joined Kurac. Gunnerblaster showed me some serious ropes within the game. I'm not going to say he made it so I would stay but just that he did what experienced players should do to help new players.

Someone new joins a clan, and they are clearly new, I would rather they faked it to get away with things and later be caught by staff as constantly faking being a newbie than have a real newbie be treated unfairly.

Kudos to Gunnerblaster.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.