Mining. Realism?

Started by Timetwister, September 21, 2010, 01:23:14 AM

Is it just me or does anybody else find it somewhat laughable that people can go to town on a huge chunk of glass or obsidian and not suffer any ill effects besides getting a bit tired? I mean realistically you would cut yer hands up pretty bad even if you wore protective gear. You're hacking at glass with a stone tool. It's such a cheap way to make money as well for PC's there should be some drawback besides the chance of running into a mean PC that might want to raid you.

In retrospect I guess it is a fantasy game, but I've always valued Arm for implementing things that make sense in a way. This has been in for a while and I guess it's just now becoming a pet peeve of mine.

I feel pretty sure I've lost at least three PCs mining/salting around Allanak because I thought "Its really easy, and there are no real threats."

The gith, the spiders, the scrab, and the rest of the ENTIRE BESTIARY OF ARMAGEDDON MUD disagree with me on that fact, numerous times a year. When you're outside, you run the risk of getting raided, killed, or worse... embarrassed. Sure, it brings in some quick coin in the short term, but eventually shit catches up with you. It also can take 10 whacks, or 100 stamina, just to get a few chunks out of the deal. And if you're too heavy, you can't walk back to the city. There is a lot involved, but in so posting this, you may entice the beasts of Ginka to come for you. Enjoy!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I wouldn't mind it if you cut yourself mining glass. As long as I get an acho about the issue, I have no prob with that. However ... leather or better gloves and sleeves should cut this down to close to nothing.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I've RPed cuts from handling glass without gloves before, so I don't see it as entirely unplausable.  The question is, short of being completely careless, would you cut yourself enough to do significant damage?
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Glass sucks - being careful does not always ensure safety. It's unlikely that it would be major, though.

September 21, 2010, 02:29:47 AM #5 Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:53:49 AM by X-D
Nah.

Look at the items you get from mining glass and obsidian IG.

Then look at large chunks of glass or chert or flint IRL (I have never seen arm sized obsidian IRL)

A head sized block of glass is no worse then handling the same sized chunk of granite or flint or any number of crystaline rocks.

Now, if you had to collect up tiny shards IG instead of softball sized blocks or dwarf sized blocks, Sure, I could see cuts.

Also, shards of glass/obsidian are very light and with no real starting volacity, and even then slow to harmless speeds in only a few inches. Combine that with the fact that most PCs IG wear leather and sandcloth, which is meant to be protective against blades and flying sand and rocks. The most common tool used is a glasshacker, which is basicly a pickaxe with a nice long handle, putting you a good 5-8 feet from the slag, depending on your race.

Large chunk of arm glass/obsidian
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on September 21, 2010, 02:29:47 AM
Nah.

Look at the items you get from mining glass and obsidian IG.

Then look at large chunks of glass or chert or flint IRL (I have never seen arm sized obsidian IRL)

A head sized block of glass is no worse then handling the same sized chunk of granite or flint or any number of crystaline rocks.

Now, if you had to collect up tiny shards IG instead of softball sized blocks or dwarf sized blocks, Sure, I could see cuts.

Idea:  Flash powder shrapnel grenades!  ;D
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

From a realism standpoint, I don't really agree. The only characters that can get away with having at a deposit with impunity are those with a big stamina pool, those with a tent, or those who know their way around the wastes. That these kinds of people have an easy time of making money doesn't strike me as unrealistic.

From a balance standpoint, grebbing and hunting around Allanak is infinitely more dangerous than grebbing and hunting around Tuluk, so it's only fair the the rewards would be greater.

Nothing will ever be safe in this game, as long as you play with other players.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Mining is wildly unrealistic in all ways, from the physical aspect to the fact that it pays more than almost anything else if you don't deliberately hold back and refrain from mining as much as you can get away with. It's really just a way for people to ease into a new character by not having to spend weeks laboring their way up to a set of reasonable armor and a mount. I always got a bad taste in my mouth when I saw groups of PCs starting "mining companies" and such, because the kind of money you can make from that kind of endeavour is grotesque. If I use mining at all, it's when I make a new warrior and want to join the Byn but don't want to do it with three pieces of leather armor and no mount. Then I never do it again once I have the basics established. Obsidian mining always seemed like a band aid on the game's often ridiculous economy model.

QuoteThe gith, the spiders, the scrab, and the rest of the ENTIRE BESTIARY OF ARMAGEDDON MUD disagree with me on that fact

There are NO inherent threats involved in mining. Anything that can happen to you does so in spite of the game world, not because of it. Nothing dangerous will naturally occur near the commonly used mining spots, and only if someone has trained aggressive wildlife along and left it there will you have trouble with that. The vast majority of the time, mining is 100% safe, and even when it isn't, it takes extreme incaution to actually get killed by whatever can be pulled to that location. PC intervention is different, but that is likewise exceedingly rare and can usually be avoided, or at least dealt with in a way that doesn't end in your death. If mining was really unsafe it would also be unpopular, and that is in no way the case.

Quote from: Qeynos on September 21, 2010, 05:40:48 AM
There are NO inherent threats involved in mining. Anything that can happen to you does so in spite of the game world, not because of it. Nothing dangerous will naturally occur near the commonly used mining spots, and only if someone has trained aggressive wildlife along and left it there will you have trouble with that. The vast majority of the time, mining is 100% safe, and even when it isn't, it takes extreme incaution to actually get killed by whatever can be pulled to that location. PC intervention is different, but that is likewise exceedingly rare and can usually be avoided, or at least dealt with in a way that doesn't end in your death.

It's definitely possible to survive mining for a living if you're wily and lucky, but if you go out enough, something or somebody will eventually kill you.

I think the reason you see so many 'miner' characters who don't end up dying to hazards while mining is because mining is a starter occupation often preferred by newer PCs fresh out of chargen. After a certain point, they get a different job or their skills increase to the point of where they can live off their guild's abilities and be a hunter/merchant/whatever, and they stop mining for a living, like your Bynner example.

Sure, if you go out mining twelve times and don't die, then for those twelve trips, it will be 100% safe to you. But like everything else in Armageddon that seems risk-free on the outside, it's only a matter of time. Trust me.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on September 21, 2010, 05:59:27 AM
Quote from: Qeynos on September 21, 2010, 05:40:48 AM
There are NO inherent threats involved in mining. Anything that can happen to you does so in spite of the game world, not because of it. Nothing dangerous will naturally occur near the commonly used mining spots, and only if someone has trained aggressive wildlife along and left it there will you have trouble with that. The vast majority of the time, mining is 100% safe, and even when it isn't, it takes extreme incaution to actually get killed by whatever can be pulled to that location. PC intervention is different, but that is likewise exceedingly rare and can usually be avoided, or at least dealt with in a way that doesn't end in your death.

It's definitely possible to survive mining for a living if you're wily and lucky, but if you go out enough, something or somebody will eventually kill you.

I think the reason you see so many 'miner' characters who don't end up dying to hazards while mining is because mining is a starter occupation often preferred by newer PCs fresh out of chargen. After a certain point, they get a different job or their skills increase to the point of where they can live off their guild's abilities and be a hunter/merchant/whatever, and they stop mining for a living, like your Bynner example.

Sure, if you go out mining twelve times and don't die, then for those twelve trips, it will be 100% safe to you. But like everything else in Armageddon that seems risk-free on the outside, it's only a matter of time. Trust me.

Yeah.... I don't even mine anymore because of the bad juju.

Something -always- happens to me now....

Poisoned arrow of doom.... Wandering spider.... Rogue 'gickers tend to favor preying for those newb boots too.

Heh, because 'sid mining is usually popular among fresh chars, those newb coins are usually easy pickin's.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I've found it incredibly easy to make gratuitous amounts of money from mining, and have stopped using the system all together. Besides the fact that it makes no sense I think it puts a damper on real money making opportunities. Why join a clan that pays you to do stuff when you can walk 5 rooms from the gate and type use <whatever> for 20-30 minutes and make over 100-200 'sid?

I just noticed that a lot of players abuse the system and I think the chance that glass or your primitive stone tool might break and hurt you would add a bit to the realism of this endeavor.

I'm also wondering why in the hell the templarate of 'Nak would buy obsidian from people when they have an entire MINE of obsidian mined by slaves?

On top of it, the very reason obsidian is mined by slaves is because it's so sharp, brittle and dangerous that people probably cut the shit out of their hands on it. Just my opinion though. If it was so easy to get (which apparently it is) why would they need an obsidian mine full of slaves?

Workers you don't have to buy/breed, feed, clothe, and keep not dead are generally cheaper than slaves that you do.

The obsidian mined by slaves is the lesser quality stuff, mass-produced for mass production of crappy weapons that soldiers use to bust over peoples' heads.

The obsidian individuals bring in are the pick of the heap; the better quality stuff used in higher-end weaponry, jewelry, and random accessories. And belt buckles.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Nahara on September 21, 2010, 08:22:43 AM
Workers you don't have to buy/breed, feed, clothe, and keep not dead are generally cheaper than slaves that you do.

Kind of my point.. why would obsidian be so abundant and sell so well in a city that has an entire mine full of slaves dedicated to mining the shit? Obviously this is a "find out IC" question like most, but it's also an OOC economical question related to the mining system which is ridiculously unbalanced.

Quote from: Lizzie on September 21, 2010, 08:26:22 AM
The obsidian mined by slaves is the lesser quality stuff, mass-produced for mass production of crappy weapons that soldiers use to bust over peoples' heads.

The obsidian individuals bring in are the pick of the heap; the better quality stuff used in higher-end weaponry, jewelry, and random accessories. And belt buckles.

Eh, I'm skeptical of this answer personally. I wasn't sure you could have "quality" of glass. Especially something that you dug out of the desert with a stone axe which takes absolutely no skill whatsoever. Anybody can do this.

Quote from: Timetwister on September 21, 2010, 08:26:33 AM
Quote from: Nahara on September 21, 2010, 08:22:43 AM

Kind of my point.. why would obsidian be so abundant and sell so well in a city that has an entire mine full of slaves dedicated to mining the shit? Obviously this is a "find out IC" question like most, but it's also an OOC economical question related to the mining system which is ridiculously unbalanced.

Probably because you get paid in obsidian.

So make up an explanation that tickles your fancy Timetwister. This isn't supposed to be realistic. It's not real. It's fantasy. You can make up a fantastical explanation - as long as it makes sense -within the context of the game- it's all good.

Quote from: Timetwister on September 21, 2010, 08:27:58 AM
Quote from: Lizzie on September 21, 2010, 08:26:22 AM

Eh, I'm skeptical of this answer personally. I wasn't sure you could have "quality" of glass. Especially something that you dug out of the desert with a stone axe which takes absolutely no skill whatsoever. Anybody can do this.

IRL, there are particular grades and qualities of glass-- volcanic or otherwise.

I understand you have a thickness of glass, hence bulletproof glass etc. But I don't see how a player's glass is of better quality then virtual glass mined by the virtual population of slaves that 'Nak owns. That's bordering on ludicrous if you think about the setting. It's all raw materials. Sure mekillot bone might be thicker then a human's bone, but I doubt that the player obsidian is somehow superior to any other just because it's mined by players.

Quality of glass and obsidian (RL) depends on many factors.

Contact with minerals, composition, how quickly it cooled, tiny fractures, trapped air bubbles, etc., etc., etc.

But still, I get your point....

If that 'sid and glass near the city is so damn valuable, why aren't slaves mining there?

Quote743
Allanaki Senate passes economic stimulus package for miners.

Quote744
Tektolnes confronts Luir Dragonsthrall deep in the obsidian mines of Allanak. By use of incredible magicks, Tektolnes buries Luir under ninety-nine feet of rock.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

First thought: ... so obsidian is to Allanak as corn is to the U.S.?
Second thought: Have they been trying to find Luir since then?
Third thought: Nah, it's been 800 years.
Fourth thought: Oh, they have the mines because the Highlord likes to have the option to bury people in them.

.... Did I get what I was supposed to out of that post?

QuoteIt's definitely possible to survive mining for a living if you're wily and lucky, but if you go out enough, something or somebody will eventually kill you.

Compared to many other professions, mining is infinitely safer. The simple fact that nothing can happen unless the natural game world is manipulated by outside forces makes it absurdly easy. Just about anything you do in this game will eventually get you killed, and a lot of things are a lot less profitable and a lot more dangerous. Like I said, unless you get PKed, or someone has dragged a scrab into the mining area and you aren't capable of typing 'flee' (and bear in mind, for both of those scenarios, that mining happens practically within sight of the gates of Allanak) then nothing can happen to you. You can make literally hundreds of 'sid per in-game day from this completely trivial and almost always risk-free venue, and I just don't think it's quite right. The only thing it doesn't do is increase your skills, but then you can do it for a few RL days and buy everything your character will ever need. I think this sort of thing contributes strongly to the broken economy and the lack of incentive to take jobs with clans and all those other elements of roleplaying that are compromised when making money can be so trivial. Mining isn't the sole culprit, but it is by far the most readily accessible and most frequently utilized.

Quote from: Qeynos on September 21, 2010, 11:50:50 AM
I think this sort of thing contributes strongly to the broken economy and the lack of incentive to take jobs with clans and all those other elements of roleplaying that are compromised when making money can be so trivial.

Not Official Staff Opinion (tm), just my personal staff opinion: Players who don't like joining clans are not going to become magickally happy to join clans if the "easy" ways of making money get taken away. Getting players to join clans needs to be more about what is actually attractive in clans and not about the pain of not being in one. There are players for whom piling up money in low-interaction ways is really important as some measure of achievement in their own minds; it's kind of a hack-and-slash holdover, sure. But if they want to play that way, I think it's OK. They are not really hurting the game, because when it comes down to it, money alone can't buy you love/hate/death/wagons/plots (all the really good stuff) in Armageddon.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Mining is NOT safe, no matter how it appears.  Hanging out with my character, on the surface, appears ridiculously safe too.  It isn't.

Mining is NOT the most lucrative thing your character can do.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

I think there is a lot of exaggeration going on in this thread.  I personally don't think mining isn't as safe or lucrative as it's being made out to be.  Especially not to the extent of being "broken," particularly in light of similarly safe-ish and lucrative IC activities that characters can engage in around the same area.  It's not always safe-ish, and it's not always lucrative. 

But congrats on being lucky enough that it feels that way to you  ;D.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

At first, I thought the idea was pretty neat, but when I look at it, I no longer want to see it in game.  The idea is neat, but the concern is so trivial that to be honest, it's not worth it. Let mining continue to be profitable, because compared to shit digging, it's infinitely more dangerous.

Quote from: Talia on September 21, 2010, 12:07:38 PM
Quote from: Qeynos on September 21, 2010, 11:50:50 AM
I think this sort of thing contributes strongly to the broken economy and the lack of incentive to take jobs with clans and all those other elements of roleplaying that are compromised when making money can be so trivial.

There are players for whom piling up money in low-interaction ways is really important as some measure of achievement in their own minds; it's kind of a hack-and-slash holdover, sure. But if they want to play that way, I think it's OK. They are not really hurting the game, because when it comes down to it, money alone can't buy you love/hate/death/wagons/plots (all the really good stuff) in Armageddon.

I really disagree with this. Can you clarify that you think it's OK that a significant amount of players do this sort of thing? I mean last time I checked on TMS or TMC It read Roleplaying Is Enforced for Arm. I don't want to turn this into some sort of debate about how the staff handles that "enforcement" but I am disappointed to discover that any staff member would think it's okay that any player does this. Arm never needed more enforcement in the past, if you powergamed or got out of hand you would get karma stripped, your PC killed or worse, now it seems like we're on the opposite side of the spectrum and a player can do just about anything they want and enforcement won't happen because staff or players can't define what somebody else's idea of roleplaying is?

Do we really need player's that never emote and just mine and become rich and garner the best gear they can find? I don't think that's playing a role at all, that's just metagaming/powergaming/grinding or whatever you want to call it.

Flippant suggestion: Add a "cut self" command to the game so that hardcore roleplayers can take damage while mining for glass, and/or for half-elves to use.
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Timetwister on September 21, 2010, 12:50:22 PM
Do we really need player's that never emote and just mine and become rich and garner the best gear they can find? I don't think that's playing a role at all, that's just metagaming/powergaming/grinding or whatever you want to call it.

You completely read into what I said and took it where it was never intended to go. I didn't say "It's OK for players not to play realistically while they're mining for obsidian," I said "It's OK for players to refuse to join clans and, instead, support their PCs through risky independent money-making schemes, because it doesn't impact the world to any significant degree as far as what's really important."

Sheesh.

The Staff see everything, Timetwister. I don't know what crawled up your ass and died but I'll be sure to shoot the shit out the next miner I see.

Just for you.

(Not really. Well. Maybe.)

And something else I would like to add - There are obsidian mines but, to my knowledge, glass is an all together rare (and challenging to acquire) resource. I have not seen any VNPC glass mining operations, though I have seen obsidian mines.
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Talia on September 21, 2010, 12:53:41 PM

You completely read into what I said and took it where it was never intended to go. I didn't say "It's OK for players not to play realistically while they're mining for obsidian," I said "It's OK for players to refuse to join clans and, instead, support their PCs through risky independent money-making schemes, because it doesn't impact the world to any significant degree as far as what's really important."

Sheesh.

I understand that. My point from the beginning of the thread is that they shouldn't be so well off without clans. Why join a clan for supposed benefits ie: water/food/room and board and a measly paycheck when you can become filthy rich off mining obsidian.

Because the purpose of joining a clan isn't to get rich. If that's why you're joining a clan, OOCly, you're joining it for the wrong reason.

It sounds like you have chosen to measure "success" in Armageddon exclusively by the amount of sids in the bank. Perhaps you aren't realizing that this is an -extremely- narrow-minded perception. I've had extraordinarily wealthy PCs killed, and come out the victor. Does that make them a success, because they died with over 100,000 sids in the bank? I've also played someone who amassed thousands, and was assassinated by someone less wealthy, but FAR more politically influential. Does that make me the winner, because my character died richer?

Widen your perception. Sids don't mean shit unless someone is offering to sell you influence. And - influence isn't cheap and in some cases, you can't use sids to pay for it.

September 21, 2010, 01:11:40 PM #36 Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 01:14:13 PM by Gunnerblaster
Quote from: Timetwister on September 21, 2010, 01:01:23 PM
Quote from: Talia on September 21, 2010, 12:53:41 PM

Sheesh.

I understand that. My point from the beginning of the thread is that they shouldn't be so well off without clans. Why join a clan for supposed benefits ie: water/food/room and board and a measly paycheck when you can become filthy rich off mining obsidian.
Most would give you a 'find out ic', right about now - But I'll put it like this, not everyone wants to mine. Not everyone even has the stamina to mine.

And whether you've encountered it or not, there are plenty of inherent dangers tagged along to mining.

The only thing I would care to see is something you mentioned earlier - That glasshackers break. Not very often. I don't want to pay 70 coins for it than swing it 3-5 times and have the shit break off in my face, doing horrendous damage.

No. That's where I want to backslap the shit out of your idea. There are already plenty of stupid ways to get hurt, in-game.

You would think with the riding-fail penalties, if you were a fresh character using a mount, you would most likely be a bit banged up by the time you got out to the mines. I do not want to see someone lying by the obsidian deposits, 'mortally wounded and on the verge of death', because they had shitty luck with mining.

If mining obsidian was -anywhere- else in the Known, I would call for a 10/20 'sid cut to the value of it, but since it's only found in one of the economically shittiest areas, I am inclined to say leave it as it is.

And another thing that is more of a 'find out IC' thing that I'll touch on, very lightly, is that a certain HUMONGOUS FUCKING MOUNTAIN OF FLAMING DEATH has appeared. You don't think there was more of something there before it ripped out of the ground, like Ruk's angry hemorrhoid?

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Timetwister on September 21, 2010, 01:23:14 AM
Is it just me or does anybody else find it somewhat laughable that people can go to town on a huge chunk of glass or obsidian and not suffer any ill effects besides getting a bit tired? I mean realistically you would cut yer hands up pretty bad even if you wore protective gear. You're hacking at glass with a stone tool. It's such a cheap way to make money as well for PC's there should be some drawback besides the chance of running into a mean PC that might want to raid you.

In retrospect I guess it is a fantasy game, but I've always valued Arm for implementing things that make sense in a way. This has been in for a while and I guess it's just now becoming a pet peeve of mine.

If you see people doing this on a regular basis without RP, please put in a player complaint.  It's not entirely likely that every PC every time will cut up their hands on glass or obsidian in large quantities.  They might on occasion.  That's up to them to roleplay.  There are also many drawbacks besides PCs, including wilderness beasts and the like.  Also, being rich isn't really important.  If someone is spamming up some automated system in-game to make money, they aren't garnering any social power or political clout to use that 'sid.  File a complaint if you have one, we can look into it, but otherwise, anyone trying to game any system to make a ton of 'sid isn't going to be able to use it to become powerful.  They're just a big fat target for people with enough wisdom to recognize an easy mark for theft.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

You don't join a clan, even a clan that's rolling in money, because you want to get a pile of coins.  You join a clan because they provide security.  Sure, some of that security comes in the form of coins, but more of that security comes from everything else they provide:  a safe place to keep things, free food/water, protection through the greater political influence of the clan.  They also provide OOC benefits, including making certain you have other people to do things with.  Independents will always make more money, provided the player has the time to play to do so...

...but no matter how many coins Nenyuk says are in that bank account, it doesn't mean anything when you and a Borsail are both trying to hire the same assassin to kill the other off.  That assassin should, if smart enough, even if you're offering 10x what the Borsail is, go with the Borsail's offer.  Nenyuk gets to keep all those silly coins that mean nothing in the long run.

Remember, and you said it yourself, Timetwister, that clans give you more than just coins.

QuoteNot Official Staff Opinion (tm), just my personal staff opinion: Players who don't like joining clans are not going to become magickally happy to join clans if the "easy" ways of making money get taken away. Getting players to join clans needs to be more about what is actually attractive in clans and not about the pain of not being in one. There are players for whom piling up money in low-interaction ways is really important as some measure of achievement in their own minds; it's kind of a hack-and-slash holdover, sure. But if they want to play that way, I think it's OK. They are not really hurting the game, because when it comes down to it, money alone can't buy you love/hate/death/wagons/plots (all the really good stuff) in Armageddon.

To me, it seems like this phenomenon sort of undermines the spirit of the game. Catering to players whose goal is piling up money in low-interaction ways doesn't do the game any good, and absolutely does come at the expense of others, from the clans that sorely lack members to the players who have more realistic incomes but compete with those willing to shamelessly drain the money vein. Clans are basically what makes the world go round; big thing happen that are unrelated to clans, but clans do make up the backbone and foundation of the game, and the undeniable fact is that many of them are crippled by a lack of players, sometimes perpetually and other times for long periods. Without clans, the game world is without much purpose. Clans already lack the incentive for players who seek combat skill growth, because many of them do not offer it to anywhere near the extent that independence does. They also lack the wealth incentive because clan pay is absolutely pitiful and often restricts you from most other potential sources of income. One has to wonder what came first, and which has a stronger representation in the game: players who don't want to play in clans for unrelated reasons and must thus be offered a way of generating significant wealth without being subjected to the normal restrictions and efforts thereof; or players who do not join clans because they can easily achieve their goals without doing so through the aforementioned option, but would otherwise have joined clans.

As for its influence, it affects many aspects of the game, and money absolutely can buy you some, most, or even all of the things you listed. There's no shop that sells it, but being able to pocket 1k a day with minimal risk and effort certainly does open up possibilities that aren't there for the guy holding a realistic job. Compared to the guy making 100 sid per IG month or whatever clans tend to pay the average employee, the guy raking in 500-1000 per RL day can have any number of advantages and options simply because of that artificially gained wealth. He'll have far better material options, for one. He'll be much more capable of bribing and buying favors. He can simply use hacker deposit his way to the first step toward most of the things you mentioned, and despite what people tend to suggest in these kinds of discussions, going against the grain of realism and the spirit of the game in pursuit of some questionable goal does not leave you completely unable to do anything else; the obsidian-grinder will have ample time to roleplay, opportunities to gain influence (possibly to a greater extent due to the added wealth), can make plenty of contacts, find true love, make enemies, ride wagons and whatnot. He won't (necessarily) be the member of a clan, of course, but the type of character whose clan membership out-strips all the benefits of technically limitless wealth is probably not going to be concerned about all this. The far greater proportion of average characters certainly can be compromised in various ways by putting into the game a way for any old character to pull money out of the sand.

Like I said, mining isn't the only way to do this, of course. It's just that anybody can do it, at pretty much any time, and it takes no effort or commitment beyond going out, spamming the command, and going back to some indoors room to rest. You could potentially make more money through such venues as Red Storm tailoring, but that takes skill, starting funds, and significant time spent out of the way of everything else. Mining only takes a glasshacker and fifteen minutes of the day.

Quote from: Talia on September 21, 2010, 12:51:23 PM
Flippant suggestion: Add a "cut self" command to the game so that hardcore roleplayers can take damage while mining for glass, and/or for half-elves to use.
I'd change it to harm self, and use it for all sorts of roleplayed self inflicted damage, or damage taken while roleplaying. Tripping down stairs, commiting suicide, emoted fights, roleplayed torture, etc, etc ... flippant though it was, Talia, it was actually a very good idea.

Quote from: Timetwister on September 21, 2010, 01:01:23 PM

Quote from: Qeynos on September 21, 2010, 01:15:11 PM
To me, it seems like this phenomenon sort of undermines the spirit of the game. Catering to players whose goal is piling up money in low-interaction ways doesn't do the game any good, and absolutely does come at the expense of others, from the clans that sorely lack members to the players who have more realistic incomes but compete with those willing to shamelessly drain the money vein. Clans are basically what makes the world go round; big thing happen that are unrelated to clans, but clans do make up the backbone and foundation of the game, and the undeniable fact is that many of them are crippled by a lack of players, sometimes perpetually and other times for long periods. Without clans, the game world is without much purpose. Clans already lack the incentive for players who seek combat skill growth, because many of them do not offer it to anywhere near the extent that independence does. They also lack the wealth incentive because clan pay is absolutely pitiful and often restricts you from most other potential sources of income. One has to wonder what came first, and which has a stronger representation in the game: players who don't want to play in clans for unrelated reasons and must thus be offered a way of generating significant wealth without being subjected to the normal restrictions and efforts thereof; or players who do not join clans because they can easily achieve their goals without doing so through the aforementioned option, but would otherwise have joined clans.

I'm not sure where you are getting your "facts," but...you're wrong. Yes, individual clans do go through down periods and cycles, they also go through up periods. Looking around the game world, I do not see any clans that are "crippled" because some players choose to play indie. I don't agree with your logic in the least.

Forcing players into clans is the wrong way to go about things. If some players want to avoid clans and not really dig into the social/political roleplay possibilities of ARM, fine. Let them. They're not breaking the game.

Often, players in general seem to think that limiting choices is the best way to get others to "conform" to their personal idea of how the game should work or their personal experience of what is fun. Remove tribes! Remove a city-state! Remove the ability to be independent! Remove clans, arrr, down with clans! Remove sponsored leaders! Codedly stop commoners from wearing silk! Ban tavern-sitting! Forbid attractive characters! Why is that magicker looking at me! Rabble rabble rabble!

Let people play what and how they want within the bounds of the code and documentation. They are not hurting you, except that you are allowing yourself to become perturbed by what you are perceiving as a problem. Obsidian mining in particular has been balanced out somewhat within the last couple of years, as other coded ways to rack up coin have been. If you have a particular complaint regarding what you think are ways to abuse any of the money-making systems, you're always welcome to submit a report about that so staff can look it over.

We have tdesc for people who want to show that they've caused themselves harm - it's more effective than coded infliction of hp loss, simply because - hp loss can regen quickly. You could "harm self" at the obsidian deposit, and be at full health by the time you get back to the Gaj.

The idea of a harm self could be a nice RP tool, but not very practical given the existing regen code.

I've always supported a harm self command either way. I hope the discussion continues because it seems like we're getting somewhere with everybody's point of view and idea's.

Nyr - thanks for that post, I will definitely begin using my newly discovered player complaint tool. I never knew it was even there.

September 21, 2010, 01:37:50 PM #44 Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:01:33 PM by Qeynos
QuoteI'm not sure where you are getting your "facts," but...you're wrong. Yes, individual clans do go through down periods and cycles, they also go through up periods. Looking around the game world, I do not see any clans that are "crippled" because some players choose to play indie. I don't agree with your logic in the least.

I think you misunderstood. These clans aren't crippled because some players choose to play indie, but there most certainly are clans that are periodically crippled by lack of players. Making independence exceedingly easy seems like at least a contributing factor. The ability to get rich without trying (and the ability to get buff without training, but that's another discussion) seems like an obvious element in this.

QuoteForcing players into clans is the wrong way to go about things. If some players want to avoid clans and not really dig into the social/political roleplay possibilities of ARM, fine. Let them. They're not breaking the game.

Nobody wants to force players to join clans, but mining goes starkly in the opposite direction and makes what should be a menial, unhealthy, dangerous and shitty job the potentially most lucrative profession available to commoners. This is not necessary. The game doesn't need it. Players who have no desire to play in clans have all the right in the world to pursue that playstyle, but it should come at a price, not with an added benefit. It is perfectly possible to play independent in any number of other ways that won't make you stinking rich. Mining is like all those Get Rich In One Month With Bob's Self-Help Book!, except the difference is that the books are a scam. Things like dung-digging, cotton-picking, scavenging and hunting are done right. Mining is done wrong, and I am discussing the potential damage to the game caused by these get-rich schemes that are too easy and not schemy enough. I hope you can at least acknowledge that argument. If anyone is interested in looking into this, please also take a gander at Red Storm craft-selling and the spell component item values.

Mining could be brought in line with the rest of the game's income model in three fairly simple steps:

1) Make the obsidian sell for less. The process of gathering it is only slightly more arduous than clay, cotton, shit etc. Unworked obsidian that literally sprouts out of the sand doesn't seem like it ought to be worth a hell of a lot.

2) Remove or strongly ease the limitations on how much the mining office guy will buy. This will prevent one character from completely cornering the obsidian market like they currently can and, with the lowered value of the material, should not be too big of a deal.

3) Put some natural danger into the mining area. A single scrab that spawns in the area or some other natural hazard that doesn't make mining utterly risk-free when other PCs aren't bothering you.

Quote from: Qeynos on September 21, 2010, 01:37:50 PM
Nobody wants to force players to join clans, but mining goes starkly in the opposite direction and makes what should be a menial, unhealthy, dangerous and shitty job the potentially most lucrative profession available to commoners. This is not necessary. The game doesn't need it. Players who have no desire to play in clans have all the right in the world to pursue that playstyle, but it should come at a price, not with an added benefit. It is perfectly possible to play independent in any number of other ways that won't make you stinking rich. Mining is like all those Get Rich In One Month With Bob's Self-Help Book!, except the difference is that the books are a scam. Things like dung-digging, cotton-picking, scavenging and hunting are done right. Mining is done wrong, and I am discussing the potential damage to the game caused by these get-rich schemes that are too easy and not schemy enough. I hope you can at least acknowledge that argument.

OK. I don't entirely disagree with you that mining is stupid. I think, probably, if we were building Armageddon right now (...hey, wait! ARM 2 ;) ), that mining would be implemented differently and/or not at all. I do think there are other economic activities that are similarly not perfectly implemented, however, all of these seem like holdovers from a long-gone (more H&S) era of ARM. I don't necessarily believe that it's worthwhile to change/retcon those activities at present, however, in the new game I feel very confident we won't see their like.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on September 21, 2010, 02:45:38 AM
From a realism standpoint, I don't really agree. The only characters that can get away with having at a deposit with impunity are those with a big stamina pool, those with a tent, or those who know their way around the wastes. That these kinds of people have an easy time of making money doesn't strike me as unrealistic.

From a balance standpoint, grebbing and hunting around Allanak is infinitely more dangerous than grebbing and hunting around Tuluk, so it's only fair the the rewards would be greater.

This makes me think of the gold miners in the old west. out with their muls, working a -claim-. Some made a nice discovery and would later become the new monies and empires of America, some would be bought out or work for those of old monies and yet some would just get claim jumped.
But I agree that it is probable and realistic that some grebbers would make it big.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Qeynos, your basic point is sort of not wrong--I think you're putting too much value on clans; different strokes and all--but your judgement of the degree of the "problem" is off.

Mining is more dangerous and less profitable than you're suggesting, at least for a mundane human with reasonable playtimes.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I'll acknowledge the following:

there is the possibility that some player exists with the following qualities:
-lots of free time both peak and off-peak
-the desire to use this time to mine stuff regularly to make money
-the desire to use this money to funnel it into gaining political or social clout
-the time to make 'sid, spend 'sid, and unrealistically try to buy their way into power

this same player would be noticed OOCly:
-by staff
-by annoyed players who are legitimately trying to do the same thing

this same player would be noticed ICly:
-by legitimately influential people wanting to become richer
-by templars
-by nobles
-by Nenyuk
-by anyone opportunistic

The instant a player tries to use a significant portion of any wealth they've gained without social or political connections, they face the possibility of being consumed alive by the powers that be.  Even legitimately influential and powerful independents in the past got their asses handed to them on differing occasions by people with far-flung political power.  Illegitimately rich people that stick their necks out get them chopped off.  If they never stick their necks out and instead spend their money on smaller things, does it matter how much 'sid they have?  I would say "no."

I agree with Nyr on all points.

And would like to reinforce one.

Quoteanyone trying to game any system to make a ton of 'sid isn't going to be able to use it to become powerful.  They're just a big fat target for people with enough wisdom to recognize an easy mark for theft.

PCs that use whatever means to amass large amounts of wealth with little risk do indeed add to the game. They make nice big fat targets for those of us that play raiders, thieves and more.

You really think that the cool looking hat Joe the miner bought from the Muark is rare and actually worth the 2,000 sid he paid?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

A few SMALL points:

With both mining 'and' salting, there are measures in place to make SURE that only a realistic quantity can be traded in each day. If you're having issues with this specific measure, such as following the guy in who fills them up and then you can't trade yours, that sounds like an issue to deal with IC.

Secondly: Clans are definitely an important and integral part of the game. That said, the same people who complain about the number of magickers and the like are often the ones complaining about how clans suffer. Think about this: How realistic is it to have 75% or so of pcs in clans when the population of those clans actually makes up a much smaller slice of the virtual demographic?

Third: There are plenty of coded dangers in and around such areas. The fact that you haven't encountered them makes you either lucky, or means you've learned from experience where they are. Either way, it doesn't speak to a greater need for it, nor does it address the threat other players can pose.

Fourth: Unrealistic behavior and abuse of the code can, and will, be caught, at least in the long term, and most definitely acted on in a corrective fashion, with both the proper IC and OOC consequences for the actions. Stop policing others and try to enjoy the gameworld for what it is, and what you make of it for yourself. If you don't like miner Joe, ignore him, or off him, or torture him, or pay a group of buddies to beat the shit out of him every time he comes into the Gaj.

And now I'm back to lurking in the shadows.
NOFUN:
Random Armageddon.thoughts: fuck dwarves, fuck magickers, fuck f-me's, fuck city elves and nerf everything I don't use
Maxid:
My position is unassailable.
Gunnerblaster:
My breeds discriminate against other breeds.

That's how hardcore I am.

Quote from: Nyr on September 21, 2010, 02:00:19 PM
The instant a player tries to use a significant portion of any wealth they've gained without social or political connections, they face the possibility of being consumed alive by the powers that be.  Even legitimately influential and powerful independents in the past got their asses handed to them on differing occasions by people with far-flung political power.  Illegitimately rich people that stick their necks out get them chopped off.  If they never stick their necks out and instead spend their money on smaller things, does it matter how much 'sid they have?  I would say "no."

This makes me think of the quandary of the quick-rich drug dealer. Big bank roll with no political clout to defray legal persecution. The smart ones end up in a crappy little apartment with lots of expensive little toys. The ones that buy Mercedes don't keep them for very long.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

QuoteWith both mining 'and' salting, there are measures in place to make SURE that only a realistic quantity can be traded in each day. If you're having issues with this specific measure, such as following the guy in who fills them up and then you can't trade yours, that sounds like an issue to deal with IC.

This is actually one of my bigger gripes with mining. The quota mechanic is unrealistic in two sort of opposite ways:

1) The amount of money you can make from single-handedly filling the quota is too much. If noone else is contributing to the quota, you can sell 350 'sid worth of obsidian per day. That is an absurd amount of money for one character to earn doing what is supposed to be menial work of the worst kind. I appreciate that it was probably not intended for one player to do so, but that's entirely possible and even easy if one knows how to go about it. And since there's really not that many players actively engaged in mining at a time, the quota is yours alone half the time. The other half...

2) The quota itself is unrealistically low, and seems to be an obviously artificial cap placed to prevent people from going completely overboard. The city-state of Allanak, known specifically for its obsidian, would surely buy more than fifteen chunks per day. There's a whole street named after it, an office with a templar, basically an entire trade centered around obsidian and mining it. I cannot consider it an IC fact that the office will buy less than one guy can bring in per day, so I cannot justify imposing IC consequences on someone who does so. That guy did not actually single-handedly put the entire city's population of miners out of work, so going after him because of the quota would be twinking in my eyes. Besides, what would one do? "I can't sell obsidian today because of you. Prepare to die!"?

This is why I suggested lowering the value of the chunks and doing away with the quota.

How can anyone make money doing this?

I have never been able to, I just end up holding onto thre large chunks for four days. Then I'll buy water, drink it all, and fill it back up and go out again. Making an extra twelve coins.
You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.

Quote from: Sam on September 21, 2010, 06:42:37 PM
How can anyone make money doing this?

I have never been able to, I just end up holding onto thre large chunks for four days. Then I'll buy water, drink it all, and fill it back up and go out again. Making an extra twelve coins.

That's because you're doing it right. ;)

I've found it to be just above subsistence work for a mundane, unclanned human with average stats played by someone with at least a tiny sense of shame.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

September 21, 2010, 08:33:05 PM #55 Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:38:47 AM by hyzhenhok
You need a high stamina pool, a mount, a tent, and/or a good understanding of the wastes in order to really "abuse" the mining code. So the people getting really rich off of mining are the ones that realistically should have the capability.

Edit: I just realize I already made a similar post earlier in the thread. Whoops.

I once staked out the Mining office to -find- the motherfucker who was loading up and selling all his shit before I could get the chance to.

A late-night savage beating or two later, I didn't have any problems whatsoever.

Just an idea:

What about an underground mine run by the templarate that characters could use like the cotton fields of Tuluk?  All the obsidian would go to the bosses when you were leaving, there would be plenty of slave and whatnot about and maybe not totally safe, either, in the deeper sections (spiders, whatnot).

The surface obsidian could then be moved further away making it more dangerous (perhaps more profitable, also?) and less frequently respawning or respawning in random locations (if it doesn't already, I can't remember).

The underground mines seem to me to be more realistic.

I actually agree with this, and I do wish that mining had been underground foraging in a mine, rather than cracking shit off of the surface. But, it's good as it is.

YOU HAVEN'T MINED ENOUGH SID, FRIEND.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on September 21, 2010, 11:07:29 PM
YOU HAVEN'T MINED ENOUGH SID, FRIEND.

Where's your collar, slave?

A half-giant soldier subdues you.

A half-giant soldier fits you with a jade and green slave collar.

A half-giant soldier roughly shoves you down.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on September 21, 2010, 10:49:57 PM
I actually agree with this, and I do wish that mining had been underground foraging in a mine, rather than cracking shit off of the surface. But, it's good as it is.

Who needs a mine for glass made from lava flows?

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Damn.

Good point.

Quote from: X-D on September 21, 2010, 02:29:47 AM
(I have never seen arm sized obsidian IRL)

Randomly, my father's house was landscaped with huge chunks of obsidian. They were very sharp, but not in the sense that you'd cut yourself if you picked one up. Heaven forbid the time I fell off another boulder onto one, though.  :o

I agree that mining in Arm isn't wholly realistic, but I think people are making it out to be a lot bigger deal than it is. If you want mining to be roleplayed more realistically, then set an example. When you find characters going out to mine, go with them and get down and dirty with them. Either RP mining being rough, miserable work that makes you sweaty and dehydrated and cut-up... or hold them up and steal their 'sid afterward to show them it isn't safe.

I know it's a well-worn Arm cliche by now, but be the change you want to see.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

I think a great deal of the mining being totally safe and extremely profitable argument is just wrong. I won't go into IC methods or such, but trust me, mining is deadly. Also I can easily think of several other ways of making coin, several times safer and more profitable, that would be more open to being labelled as over-profitable.
Personally, I do not like to mine because of the crippling stamina drain from doing it. Exhausted, heavily encumbered prey is easy to run down, even if you are only a half dozen leagues from the city gate.
Plus too, you can pretty much put money on the realisation that now all the raiders and psycho killers will be staking out the mining spots since the idea has now been firmly planted in their twisted minds.
Watch your backs out there, babies.  ;)
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

I've had two characters use mining as a means to launch themselves towards efficacy.

Both have:

Been raided
Been gicked
Been attacked by very dangerous wildlife
Been attacked by kill-oriented PCs

Safe:  no;  Lucrative: maybe.  You spend a lot of overhead keeping yourself alive out there. 

Final thoughts: Mining is fine.

I've never done much lumberjacking, but mining was always one of those things that I could never make a lot of 'sid doing. It was always a constant race to fill my character's waterskin, and if he/she got hungry on top of that? Even more difficult.

If picking cotton, digging dung and clay and lumberjacking aren't enough for a character to subsist up North, I can see the discrepancy. I don't know if there's anything that can be done to remedy the situation, though. Everything we're talking about is abundant in the Northlands. Obsidian deposits are relatively uncommon in the South; you really have to work for your haul. The same goes for salt. I'll grudgingly throw in my two stones that say the system is fine as-is, though I do think the economy needs some fixin'.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

You may be playing it safe, which is to say that you're playing with less risk and thus less gain, Socko.  I don't know how many deposits you know of, but they may be more common than you suspect.

Sounds about right for me. :] My rule of thumb: Whenever you stand to make a huge windfall, you're usually just a step away from the razor's edge. Stay out in the wastes for too long, and the probability that you'll be ganked rises tremendously.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Quote from: Socko on September 24, 2010, 01:04:18 AM
Sounds about right for me. :] My rule of thumb: Whenever you stand to make a huge windfall, you're usually just a step away from the razor's edge. Stay out in the wastes for too long, and the probability that you'll be ganked rises tremendously.

Gospel from the Bible of Armageddon. This is wisdom people, listen to dis.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.